Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Where does Stafford rank as a QB in the NFL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
Calvin-Stafford wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
I agree mostly with others, that 8-10 range. I, personally would take Luck and Winston ahead of him. Probably not Mariota though.

Absolute fair argument for Luck, but I dont see it with Winston. Can you name one thing he does better than Stafford?

I think Stafford's better than Jameis, but Jameis' ability to shrug off hits or shed tackles and make a play is almost Roethlisberger-esque. Stafford lacks that exceptional strength and balance in the pocket.

That's a good trait to have, but is it more useful than the other aspects of the game, all of which I think would lean toward Stafford? Stafford has a stronger arm, and at this point in Winston's career Stafford has demonstrated better accuracy and decision making as well.

IMO, Winston is just coming into his own, he has a real shot to blow past Stafford and be the higher ranked QB as do Carr and Mariota.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
Lions017 wrote:
I think that these guys are definitely better than Matt Stafford...

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers

That's about it. Stafford is right there in the mix in the next tier, with guys like Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Andrew Luck, and Cam Newton. You could even argue that Roethlisberger or Rivers have regressed if you want, I suppose. Top 10 seems pretty safe the more than I look at it.

I rate him top 15. IMO, there are about 15 franchise QB's currently in the NFL. I would rate him behind a healthy Luck, there with Rivers. Of course Carr, Mariota and Winston are coming quickly as well.

Until Stafford puts up a few playoff wins, he has to take a back seat to those who have. Putting him ahead of QB's who have produced playoff wins, just appears to me to be wishful thinking.

I understand your thinking about playoff wins but in my opinion to much emphasis is placed on playoff wins affecting individual rankings in a team sport.

Yes, it is a team sport, but face it, the QB is what makes everything go and without a solid one, your franchise will never be a consistent winner.

IMO, it all starts with playoff wins for a QB, especially SB wins or at least getting to the SB. Do you think NE is a powerhouse talent wise??? I am not seeing it. I would have said just a few years ago, that we had superior talent to NE, but we had Stafford and they had Brady, end of story.

We have had solid defense when Stafford was our veteran QB, just a few years back before we cut loose a # of our defensive stars and Stafford, IMO, had a very decent offense during the same period and rarely accomplished anything. Again, IMO, a few years back, you put a better franchise QB than Stafford at the helm and maybe we reach the SB.

I would still rate Stafford as a franchise QB, but he would be near the bottom for those rankings. I have never gone into a season with Stafford at the helm, where I could say with confidence, that we should make the playoffs. Stafford has been just too inconsistent to warrant strong confidence.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers

That's about it. Stafford is right there in the mix in the next tier, with guys like Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Andrew Luck, and Cam Newton. You could even argue that Roethlisberger or Rivers have regressed if you want, I suppose. Top 10 seems pretty safe the more than I look at it.

I rate him top 15. IMO, there are about 15 franchise QB's currently in the NFL. I would rate him behind a healthy Luck, there with Rivers. Of course Carr, Mariota and Winston are coming quickly as well.

Until Stafford puts up a few playoff wins, he has to take a back seat to those who have. Putting him ahead of QB's who have produced playoff wins, just appears to me to be wishful thinking.

I understand your thinking about playoff wins but in my opinion to much emphasis is placed on playoff wins affecting individual rankings in a team sport.

Yes, it is a team sport, but face it, the QB is what makes everything go and without a solid one, your franchise will never be a consistent winner.

IMO, it all starts with playoff wins for a QB, especially SB wins or at least getting to the SB. Do you think NE is a powerhouse talent wise??? I am not seeing it. I would have said just a few years ago, that we had superior talent to NE, but we had Stafford and they had Brady, end of story.

We have had solid defense when Stafford was our veteran QB, just a few years back before we cut loose a # of our defensive stars and Stafford, IMO, had a very decent offense during the same period and rarely accomplished anything. Again, IMO, a few years back, you put a better franchise QB than Stafford at the helm and maybe we reach the SB.

I would still rate Stafford as a franchise QB, but he would be near the bottom for those rankings. I have never gone into a season with Stafford at the helm, where I could say with confidence, that we should make the playoffs. Stafford has been just too inconsistent to warrant strong confidence.

The Patriots have Belichek, which I believe is much more important than Brady (see Matt Cassell and the 4 QBs they ran out there last year).

There are great QBs like Brees and Rodgers who don't make the playoffs consistently because their teams aren't good enough. Phil Rivers has never won anything, neither has Luck, Winston or Marriotta. QBs are not the end all be all. I would have never taken Eli Manning over Stafford, but he has had the defense and the coach stability to win two rings. Its a team game, including coaching, and Stafford has always had below average teams and coaches.
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers

Are you talking 2011? When stafford threw 40+ TDs and 15 or 16 INTs? You're saying if we had a better franchise QB that season the lions could have possibly made the SB? I disagree, could Stafford had played better in the playoff game against the saints? Yes, but when you're QB of a team that sets the NFL record for pass attempts in a season and pass over 65% (I'm guessing on the percentage here so I may be a little off) of the time, I'd say you're doing a Damn good job. I don't think a "better" QB would change the outcome of that season. If you ask me, if the lions had a competent coach, that would have taken them further.

MathMan wrote:
You're the best player in the game at this.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers

Are you talking 2011? When stafford threw 40+ TDs and 15 or 16 INTs? You're saying if we had a better franchise QB that season the lions could have possibly made the SB? I disagree, could Stafford had played better in the playoff game against the saints? Yes, but when you're QB of a team that sets the NFL record for pass attempts in a season and pass over 65% (I'm guessing on the percentage here so I may be a little off) of the time, I'd say you're doing a Damn good job. I don't think a "better" QB would change the outcome of that season. If you ask me, if the lions had a competent coach, that would have taken them further.

Nobody can ever say 'what if' with any certainty, it is just make believe. All you can go on is the facts. Under Stafford, have we been a consistent playoff team with a shot at a SB every year. I do not think so. Did he QB some talented teams, yes, IMO, he did, but the results left a lot to be desired.
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers

Nobody can ever say 'what if' with any certainty, it is just make believe. All you can go on is the facts. Under Stafford, have we been a consistent playoff team with a shot at a SB every year. I do not think so. Did he QB some talented teams, yes, IMO, he did, but the results left a lot to be desired.

Sure, the end results have left a bit to be desired. At the same time, how many playoff appearances have the lions had with Stafford at the helm? How many playoff appearances have they had without him? When was the last time the lions made the playoffs prior to Stafford? How many teams have gone 0 and 16 in the history of the NFL? How many QBs have taken over a team that went 0 and 16 and took that team to the playoffs in their first year starting the whole year?

You say nobody can say "what if" but I was simply responding to your "what if" scenario and the fallacy contained within the argument. There's only ONE QB that I would give a chance to making a change in that 2011 squad and taking them further and that would be Tom Brady. Anybody else would have ended up right around the same results with a putrid run game and a opportunistic defense like what the lions had in 2011.

MathMan wrote:
You're the best player in the game at this.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers

The Patriots have Belichek, which I believe is much more important than Brady (see Matt Cassell and the 4 QBs they ran out there last year).

Yeah, I can just see those QB's leading NE back from that score in the 4th quarter to win the last SB. I will give BB his due, he is clearly the best in the business, but without Brady, he is lucky to have 1 SB win.

There are great QBs like Brees and Rodgers who don't make the playoffs consistently because their teams aren't good enough. Phil Rivers has never won anything, neither has Luck, Winston or Marriota. QBs are not the end all be all. I would have never taken Eli Manning over Stafford, but he has had the defense and the coach stability to win two rings. Its a team game, including coaching, and Stafford has always had below average teams and coaches.

Brees and Rodgers have been to the playoffs a heck of a lot more than we have during Stafford's run as our QB and been to SB's and your right, their teams aren't perfect and neither is NE's.

I already said Rivers and Stafford are on par, I never put Rivers ahead of Stafford.

Luck has been slowed by injuries the last 2 years, so we will have to see if he recovers. Winston and Mariota are just coming into their own and I would put money on it, that those teams blow past Detroit in short order.

You would take Stafford over Eli, why, there is nothing in Stafford's resume as pertains to winning that Stafford can match.

If you believe that you do not need a franchise QB to be a consistent contender in the NFL, then I cannot argue with you, because you are going against every GM who has ever been in charge of the draft. There is nobody in pro football who holds those views. Every team in the NFL would give their right arm for a solid franchise QB.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers

Yeah, I can just see those QB's leading NE back from that score in the 4th quarter to win the last SB. I will give BB his due, he is clearly the best in the business, but without Brady, he is lucky to have 1 SB win.

There are great QBs like Brees and Rodgers who don't make the playoffs consistently because their teams aren't good enough. Phil Rivers has never won anything, neither has Luck, Winston or Marriota. QBs are not the end all be all. I would have never taken Eli Manning over Stafford, but he has had the defense and the coach stability to win two rings. Its a team game, including coaching, and Stafford has always had below average teams and coaches.

Brees and Rodgers have been to the playoffs a heck of a lot more than we have during Stafford's run as our QB and been to SB's and your right, their teams aren't perfect and neither is NE's.

I already said Rivers and Stafford are on par, I never put Rivers ahead of Stafford.

Luck has been slowed by injuries the last 2 years, so we will have to see if he recovers. Winston and Mariota are just coming into their own and I would put money on it, that those teams blow past Detroit in short order.

You would take Stafford over Eli, why, there is nothing in Stafford's resume as pertains to winning that Stafford can match.

If you believe that you do not need a franchise QB to be a consistent contender in the NFL, then I cannot argue with you, because you are going against every GM who has ever been in charge of the draft. There is nobody in pro football who holds those views. Every team in the NFL would give their right arm for a solid franchise QB.

Rodgers and Brees also have had consistent coaching, and better teams. Rodgers has been to the playoffs but hasn't won much recently because of his teams. Its a lot more than just a QB. Its the system, the coaching, the O line, the WRs, the running game, and the defense. No QB has been consistently in the playoffs with new coaches every two years and coming off an 0-16 season.

Luck, Winston, and Mariota have not won anything either. If that is the measuring cup you use for Stafford, use t for all of them. Sure Winston and Mariota put up numbers last year but Stafford does too. They have potential, but not anything greater than what Stafford has IMO. Their teams may be better at times, but I don't think either is more talented than Stafford.

And yes, I would take Stafford over Eli 10 out of 10 times. Eli may have two rings, but his defense (especially that D line) led them to those victories. And a miracle of a catch. Eli did not play particularly great in those games. I don't think Trent Dilfer or Mark Rypien are better than Dan Marino because they won Super Bowls. I get winning is the goal, but you have to look at the context of team, coach, era, skills, if you want to properly compare them.

Yes QB is the most important position in sports, but having a great one doesn't mean you win championships. I expect more from Stafford but still don't think any of those other guys you mentioned make it to the playoffs last year with our team. Remember in the playoffs last year, we were down to our 3rd string RB, our starting RG and C were out, and our defense was trash. And we were facing an elite defense.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers

Numerous great athletes are regarded amongst the best in their sport having never won a championship.

Stafford can't sack the opposing QB, cover receivers, run block etc. He may be the general but team success is dependant on each individual fulfilling their respective responsibilities. It's why teams with less than franchise QB's have won a SB. I don't for a minute think that simply by winning a SB other QB's are better than Stafford.

So we have to agree to disagree.

Sig by Smack

Team Stylish
nagahide13

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparisons has a thread that's Stafford vs. Cousins... I almost got really excited and started going off on how Cousins is more of an unreliable gun slinger that has inflated stats due to offensive scheme and the quality of receivers...

I don't think anyone would have known what I was doing, though.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stafford winning a playoff game or two wouldn't change anything in the eyes of most, nor should it. Being successful in the postseason would require consistent protection, a steady running game and a competitive defense. If those things were ever obtained, and the team won a playoff game or two, critics would claim that Stafford was the same quarterback as before, and that the overall team deserves the credit.

It reminds me of the criticism towards P.Manning throughout his career: can't win games, can't get his team to the playoffs, can't win a playoff game, can't get his team to the Super Bowl, can't win a championship. Of course, the Colts won their first Super Bowl when the defense stepped up, not because Manning was suddenly a vastly better player.

Forget playoff wins. If Stafford played the next 6 years of his career at a top 5 level, but our blocking faltered, running game remained non-existent and defense struggled, he'd still be a top 5 quarterback.

Team Stylish

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: