You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 4 Pick 135: Josh Dobbs 6'3 216 4.64
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Everyone likes talking about Josh Dobbs accuracy/mechanics. Impressive throws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6_WxFx4CAI

*1:04 rollout to right flat. Defenders tries deflecting through with right hand but Dobbs fits in perfectly.

*1:41 pocket collapsing, bodies closing in on and Dobbs launches a perfect pass 57 yards down the field towards the right hash directly into his WR's arms. Watch as he steps up, squares away, sets his feet and launch that missile!

*2:23 defender playing under coverage but stumbles at the goal line but it doesn't matter as Dobbs floats the throw over his head for the td.

*3:04 sprint right but defense plays it decently. Dobbs on the run throws a bullet towards the right sideline into the WRs chest as the defender barely misses by less than a couple of inches.

*3:18 QB draw and watch Dobbs stutter and then run through Neal and then Tabor! Neal tried to blast him but Dobbs is a powerful runner.

*3:29 know defensive tendencies. Fake the screen to the flats and then hit the slot WR on the stutter wheel route in the end zone for easy td.

*4:14 back shoulder throw again. AB and Bryant love those throws.

*Bama playing Cover 2 and Dobbs beats them for a touch down between two defenders. Short WR ran an Out and Slot ran Flag. Dobbs drilled the ball as the CB wasn't able to get there fast enough. Gutsy throw.

*4:53 throw to the right sideline which showed perfect mechanics.

*4:59 touch pass as he sails the ball while hitting the WR in stride. Seems like the easiest throw but we've seen Tom Brady, Payton Manning, and Big Ben miss similar throws.

*5:34 look at that throw over the top of two defenders and in between two deeper defenders! Beautiful!

Regardless of what the media is telling you, Joshua Dobbs was drafted to be Big Ben's replacement. Might be a year or two from now but this guy is the real deal.

Highlights are great but I'm telling you this guy is going to frustrate you. I can say he did improve over the years and perhaps that's all you can ask but even last season there were times he made you throw your remote across the room. I'd expect that to continue.
warfelg

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
Everyone likes talking about Josh Dobbs accuracy/mechanics. Impressive throws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6_WxFx4CAI

*1:04 rollout to right flat. Defenders tries deflecting through with right hand but Dobbs fits in perfectly.

*1:41 pocket collapsing, bodies closing in on and Dobbs launches a perfect pass 57 yards down the field towards the right hash directly into his WR's arms. Watch as he steps up, squares away, sets his feet and launch that missile!

*2:23 defender playing under coverage but stumbles at the goal line but it doesn't matter as Dobbs floats the throw over his head for the td.

*3:04 sprint right but defense plays it decently. Dobbs on the run throws a bullet towards the right sideline into the WRs chest as the defender barely misses by less than a couple of inches.

*3:18 QB draw and watch Dobbs stutter and then run through Neal and then Tabor! Neal tried to blast him but Dobbs is a powerful runner.

*3:29 know defensive tendencies. Fake the screen to the flats and then hit the slot WR on the stutter wheel route in the end zone for easy td.

*Bama playing Cover 2 and Dobbs beats them for a touch down between two defenders. Short WR ran an Out and Slot ran Flag. Dobbs drilled the ball as the CB wasn't able to get there fast enough. Gutsy throw.

*4:59 touch pass as he sails the ball while hitting the WR in stride. Seems like the easiest throw but we've seen Tom Brady, Payton Manning, and Big Ben miss similar throws.

*5:34 look at that throw over the top of two defenders and in between two deeper defenders! Beautiful!

Regardless of what the media is telling you, Joshua Dobbs was drafted to be Big Ben's replacement. Might be a year or two from now but this guy is the real deal.

Highlights are great but I'm telling you this guy is going to frustrate you. I can say he did improve over the years and perhaps that's all you can ask but even last season there were times he made you throw your remote across the room. I'd expect that to continue.

And Ben doesnt? lol

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

And Ben doesnt? lol

Touché.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTC did a breakdown on Dobbs and his mechanics. To me, mechanics is continually repeating the same motions over and over. Pressure interferes with that motion. That is where Dobbs can get off script is pressure in his face. But that applies to ALL QBs Laughing

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2017/5/5/15538146/breakdown-analysis-nfl-draft-2017-are-steelers-rookie-qb-josh-dobbs-mechanical-issues-fixable

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
VanS

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:

What QB doesn't? I must say people are hyper-critical of this kid in ways they aren't when it comes to other QBs. Yes he has some bad throws every game. But he also has just as many if not more WOW plays where he makes an incredible play out of nothing.

I think Pittsburgh fans will be surprised by how good he actually turns out to be. At Tennessee he played behind a terrible offensive line that gave him little time in the pocket and his receivers had poor hands that resulted in many catchable balls being dropped.

Josh Dobbs is a diamond in the rough that Pittsburgh found. He will be a star for them in the near future.
VanS

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers22 wrote:
DR43 wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
DR43 wrote:
Like the player. Hate the pick.

Why?

I want to obtain guys who can help us next season. Dobbs clearly isn't one of those guys.

Considering Ben is never healthy for 16 games, I wouldn't necessarily say its an impossibility for him to contribute next season. However, QB's that aren't accurate in college don't tend to magically become accurate in the NFL. Worth a flier though I suppose

His accuracy issues are overstated. He completed 63% of his passes as a senior while throwing for 8.3 yards per pass attempt. And he pulled off these numbers while having a higher than normal drop rate by his wide receivers on well thrown balls. Plus Tennessee didn't run one of those dink and dunk offenses that inflate a lot of these college QBs numbers. Tennessee was primarily a running team that would throw the ball deep down the field off playaction. Josh Dobbs was one of the leaders last year in college football when it came to deep ball accuracy. He completed 47.7% of his passes longer than 20 yards. He also led the SEC in TD passes thrown over 20 yards.

With that said he does need to be more consistent in his accuracy. But his flaws are correctable. His main problem when it comes to accuracy is that his footwork isn't always consistent. And that is something that can be coached. Plus you have to factor in that for his last 2 years in college, Dobbs did not have a QB coach. For some reason Butch Jones felt a grad assistant was sufficient for that role rather than an experienced QB coach. So these flaws in terms of footwork can be fixed by the fact he finally will have a dedicated QB coach working with him.

This guy has tremendous upside.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All records are meant to be broken. That is how you create new legends.
Quote:
Dobbs had 3,777 total yards this season – second most in a single season behind Peyton Manning’s 3,789 in 1997 – and would have broken the record if not for dropped passes in the bowl game.
The Nashville Ledger
Most teams would have allowed Dobbs to break the record but alas, they wanted Manning to remain number 1 Laughing

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobbs shouldn't forget the play call..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepoOe1Lr8E

1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:

Art Rooney II said the same thing that he wasn't. Hopefully we can see a progression from Dobbs from good coaching that we haven't seen from Jones during his tenure here.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig

Last edited by 1BackInBlackFan on Sat May 06, 2017 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigSnack

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few thoughts i have on Dobbs are this.

1st- we spent a day 3 pick on him. I am very comfortable with him being drafted in the 4th. If we would have drafted any qb on the 1st two days I would not have been happy.

2nd- Him being drafted day 3 says he has flaws. If he didnt have as bad of flaws he would have been drafted much earlier so the reality is he has work to do. But that is the nice part about him is the physical gifts are there and the majority of his flaws are correctable. 1st and foremost is throwing off his back foot.

3rd- I think if we can get 2 or 3 more years out of Ben then this transition to post Ben era will not be nearly as bad as I have been anticipating. It is likely Dobbs is never a HOF player, but what we had in the cubbard to replace Ben with was scary at best. He gives a lil hope that with some development and a good supporting cast we may still be a playoff team after Ben retires.

Yeast infection.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Cosell on Josh Dobbs.... http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/audio-greg-cosell-nfl-films-breaks-qb-joshua-dobbs/

Chieferific

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Greg Cosell on Josh Dobbs.... http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/audio-greg-cosell-nfl-films-breaks-qb-joshua-dobbs/

Amen. Good analysis from impartial eyes. He and I agree on Dobbs. There is some potential there but I think we're looking at a career backup.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: B Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

Amen. Good analysis from impartial eyes. He and I agree on Dobbs. There is some potential there but I think we're looking at a career backup.

While I agree, a career backup QB in the 4th round isnt bad....if they are solid in spot duty and whatnot.

The pick felt forced. I dont think this would/will prevent us from drafting a QB early next year if we are in position to do so. I think they were just trying to bring someone in who has potential and could surprise....and in that regard, thats what they are likely to get.....but I doubt it amounts to anything more than maybe a slightly better backup QB than Landry Jones.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: B Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

While I agree, a career backup QB in the 4th round isnt bad....if they are solid in spot duty and whatnot.

The pick felt forced. I dont think this would/will prevent us from drafting a QB early next year if we are in position to do so. I think they were just trying to bring someone in who has potential and could surprise....and in that regard, thats what they are likely to get.....but I doubt it amounts to anything more than maybe a slightly better backup QB than Landry Jones.

Agree with every word except 'slightly'; I'd say he'll simply be a better backup than Jones, without the 'slightly' condition being thrown in, which to me, is every bit worth the 4th/5th Rd pick he was.

And BTW, that's how I view all our picks...as 'straddling' the 2 Rds.
theironcitykid

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:

Just trying to enjoy myself with the video - I noticed his best plays involved him as a runner. That's what I've seen with other videos as well. I see Kordell Stewart. That's who I see. If he wants to wear #11 and be Slash I'm all for it. He's like this RB/WR/TE guy given his size. When he has the ball in his hands as a runner, he is dynamic. He is by no means a QB. Bc he can't throw for ____

1:36 - that ball needs picked off. Good job eluding the rush but that should be a TD the other way. At least an INT

1:41 - yes, I agree that's a DIME. The problem is I think the pressure changed his footwork and that's why he threw the DIME. He shuffles around the edge well, and steps into a throw for once in his life. He steps up into the pocket and into the throw to avoid the rush

2:31 - that's a WR with his ball in his hands. He looks exactly like a WR there

I'll happily go over every one of these throws with you, but Dobbs is a mess. If you want something tangible he can be a scat QB. He's like a Terrelle Pryor. Better athlete than QB and has the worst arm slot, footwork, mechanics I've seen since Tebow, Pryor, Slash, etc. Look where Terrelle Pryor is nowadays. He's always been that athlete.

How is this guy a QB when every one of these highlights where I'm impressed are him running the ball from the QB position. Hmm nice play Tebow. Nice play TP. Nice play Slash.

Not hey nice throw, Tom

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: