Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2 (39). Marcus Maye, S, Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jets913

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewAge wrote:
Based on what I've seen on Maye, a lot of people thought he, more so than other players and other safeties, would have his success/determined by the scheme he was drafted into and the safety playing opposite him. Playing opposite Jamal Adams and in a defensive scheme that emphasized safeties just like him in Arizona, I would think this is an excellent fit for him.

one of the more educated posts about this pick I've read. I thank you sir.
BlaZeN37

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it sounds like Maye is going to be the designated FS and Adams the SS. I agree with this because Maye is at his best when keeping everything in front of him.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaZeN37 wrote:
So it sounds like Maye is going to be the designated FS and Adams the SS. I agree with this because Maye is at his best when keeping everything in front of him.

This will be the case, but they're going to interchange quite a bit. Unlike Hooker, who has insane upside as a deep FS but limited elsewhere, Adams and Maye have more round-about games and can play multiple spots effectively, with Adams more natural near the LOS and Maye in the post. Both of them have had success in the nickel as well, and having 3 safeties allows you to mix-and-match a bit. I think we'll see a lot of 4-1-6 in 2017.

From what I understand, Maye also has an excellent football IQ and communication skills. The main thing that Bowles has cited for coverage breakdowns: lack of communication. Our secondary has no where to go but up and with these additions I think our defense will be much much much improved.

The bigger question: what will this offense produce?
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
BlaZeN37 wrote:

This will be the case, but they're going to interchange quite a bit. Unlike Hooker, who has insane upside as a deep FS but limited elsewhere, Adams and Maye have more round-about games and can play multiple spots effectively, with Adams more natural near the LOS and Maye in the post. Both of them have had success in the nickel as well, and having 3 safeties allows you to mix-and-match a bit. I think we'll see a lot of 4-1-6 in 2017.

From what I understand, Maye also has an excellent football IQ and communication skills. The main thing that Bowles has cited for coverage breakdowns: lack of communication. Our secondary has no where to go but up and with these additions I think our defense will be much much much improved.

The bigger question: what will this offense produce?

Yea I'm excited to see what this secondary has to offer. I think our defense was at it's best when Jim Leonard was calling the shots as safety.
Mr.O

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching some more film he kind of reminds me of Reshad Jones from the dolphins

Props El Ramster on the sig
Jag68Sid87

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will Pryor come off the bench this season, or are they going to try him at inside linebacker?
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Maye is going to play the deeper role and the FS spot he should get more INTs than Adams. This is a big reason why Maye was my least favorite pick. We will line him up more so at the FS spot but he's shown to not really be a ball hawk. He's more a tackler that can cover a little. Turnovers need to start being forced on this defense. Its a very big part of the game that we are pretty awful at. WE had only 8 INTs all last season. Pretty awful.
Bianconero

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jag68Sid87 wrote:
So will Pryor come off the bench this season, or are they going to try him at inside linebacker?
I think he starts as our 3rd safety

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDK much about Maye but I do know that even prior to the Jets selecting him, I wanted to double dip at safety with Budda Baker

I'm rooting for Maye and am curious how his career with stack against Baker, who I loved

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILB?! Lmao come on guys. He misses tackles at SS this kid cant play ILB. Why do we keep acting like he has the size to do it as well. Pryor is an in the box SS in a passing era. Hes the third safety now in this defense unless one of Maye or Adams disappoints.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 4-1-6 defense is going to be interesting if Jetskidd is right that we will see that quite a bit.

Mo/Williams will be able to man the middle and I assume we will see Mauldin/Jenkins on the edges in that hybrid OLB/DE role with Thomas sprinkled in at DE on running downs. With one true LB only (probably Lee) the majority of the time with Harris on occasion we are going to have quite a bit of speed on the field. With 3 CB's and 3 safeties all of them at their best when attacking the LOS it will be interesting to see how the run defense plays out.

We've never had any issues stopping the run but we've always had a ton of elite run stoppers Harris, Wilk, Williams, Sheldon etc. With only 2 run stuffers now (although Jenkins should do well setting the edge) it will be interesting seeing how we generate pressure and stop the run. Coverage should be much improved and Bowles could get creative with guys like Skrine, Maye, Adams and Pryor all being pretty good blitzers off the edge or stunting with Lee up the gaps.

I doubt we can just rush 4 and get enough pressure though. Got to hope the CB's tackle well in this defense too. I've wanted this type of speed on the field for a long time though so I hope it works without letting the run defense suffer too much.

Props to Mack on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
That 4-1-6 defense is going to be interesting if Jetskidd is right that we will see that quite a bit.

Mo/Williams will be able to man the middle and I assume we will see Mauldin/Jenkins on the edges in that hybrid OLB/DE role with Thomas sprinkled in at DE on running downs. With one true LB only (probably Lee) the majority of the time with Harris on occasion we are going to have quite a bit of speed on the field. With 3 CB's and 3 safeties all of them at their best when attacking the LOS it will be interesting to see how the run defense plays out.

We've never had any issues stopping the run but we've always had a ton of elite run stoppers Harris, Wilk, Williams, Sheldon etc. With only 2 run stuffers now (although Jenkins should do well setting the edge) it will be interesting seeing how we generate pressure and stop the run. Coverage should be much improved and Bowles could get creative with guys like Skrine, Maye, Adams and Pryor all being pretty good blitzers off the edge or stunting with Lee up the gaps.

I doubt we can just rush 4 and get enough pressure though. Got to hope the CB's tackle well in this defense too. I've wanted this type of speed on the field for a long time though so I hope it works without letting the run defense suffer too much.

The coverage should be better than last year as well as the pass rush. I expect the defensive unit to be much improved actually. We got better in the offseason by subtracting some guys. No we won't be a top D, but I think we could be top 15 of f 75% of these young guys play like they can. (Lee, Lozo, Jenkins, Burris, Adams, Maye).
Rickjets2007

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know about Maye I learned from reading the scouting reports and youtube videos on him. I never heard of him until we drafted him. So I am putting on my weekend GM hat and giving you my meaningless drivel about why we drafted this guy.

We drafted this guy because from what I have seen and heard about him is he is a sure tackler and communicator. He has some sort of relationship with Jamal Adams. Supposedly he was trying to get Adams to come to the Gators when he was coming out of high school. So, you got to guys that at least know each other. They are probably familiar with their game style as well. Last year, we sucked. The ongoing theme was poor tackling and poor COMMUNICATION. How many times did we here our DB's say that after a loss? Countless.

Pro Football Focus had this to say about Maye:
"Ranked first among FBS safeties with at least 300 snaps in tackling efficiency (one missed tackle on the season), which is a product of his ability to square up to his target and keep his feet."

I think him and Jamal will have good chemistry. They have a history of making tackles consistently. And, let me tell you this, as your last line of defense, it is nice to have a guy(Or 2) that are sure tacklers. I mean last year our tackling on the back end was horrific. Anyway, that is all I got on Maye.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thing to pay attention to is that our leaders in the secondary are 21 and 24. (Still can't believe Maye is already 24). Are guys like Claiborne, Skrine, Williams, etc gonna listen to younger guys that have never played in the league.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: