Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4.120: MINN - Ben Gedeon [LB #42] Michigan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know much about him at the time of the selection, but I'm glad that RS/Zim prioritized LB. It was my 3rd highest need on the team. after DT and OL.

And we did select DT and OL with our picks before, so if they thought this was the best LB available at that point in the draft them go for it.

They drafted in an order then filled the top 4 needs, with their top 4 picks.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
I didn't know much about him at the time of the selection, but I'm glad that RS/Zim prioritized LB. It was my 3rd highest need on the team. after DT and OL.

And we did select DT and OL with our picks before, so if they thought this was the best LB available at that point in the draft them go for it.

They clearly drafted for need, or at least need as a huge consideration, early in the draft. Just like all NFL teams do. Let's hope they let the kids play this year...
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

They clearly drafted for need, or at least need as a huge consideration, early in the draft. Just like all NFL teams do. Let's hope they let the kids play this year...

I think the Cook selection could be argued both ways. RB wasn't as pressing of a need as OL and DT but Cook was clearly high on Spielmans board.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

I think the Cook selection could be argued both ways. RB wasn't as pressing of a need as OL and DT but Cook was clearly high on Spielmans board.

I wonder how high on Vikings board Cook was to pull the trigger.
Was he [for example] the 16th BPA on his board... and was calling all the teams above waiting for a team to accept the lower 4th rounder + #48

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
I wonder how high on Vikings board Cook was to pull the trigger.
Was he [for example] the 16th BPA on his board... and was calling all the teams above waiting for a team to accept the lower 4th rounder + #48

There's a good quote from Rick on the last page of the Cook thread about it.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what scouts said about Gedeon pre draft

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/04/24/ranking-nfl-draft-prospects-linebackers/100829634/

Quote:
9. BEN GEDEON, Michigan (6-1 ˝, 244, 4.79, 5): Thirteen of his 14 starts (in 51 games) came last season. “Active, alert, aggressive,” said one scout. “Made a lot of tackles. Has some problems in space. Short-stepper. Needs to gather to change direction.” Played behind Jake Ryan in 2014, backed up again in ’15 before leading the team in tackles in ’16 playing inside in a 3-4. “Earns your respect,” said another scout. “Got instincts, feel, pride, intensity. Outstanding special teams player.” Finished with 176 tackles (21 for loss) and 6 ˝ sacks. From Hudson, Ohio.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B quadrant (bottom right) shows superior athletes whose college production has been sub par, but this doesn't automatically invalidate them as potential prospects. So much of a player's college production depends on the type of scheme he played in, the players he played next to, the opponents he played against, and the role he was asked to play.

Again, film study will show you what to make of a player's seemingly low production. In any case, players like Ben Gedeon and Blair Brown might make for interesting later-round prospects as they at least have their athleticism going for them.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/3/31/15120048/finding-the-superior-athlete-sparq-linebackers-in-the-2017-nfl-draft

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in the focus on straight-line speed at the NFL combine was former Michigan linebacker Ben Gedeon’s impressive performance.

After a nice showing in the Senior Bowl with nine tackles and a forced fumble, Gedeon was the strongest linebacker in Indianapolis, lifting 225 pounds 27 times. He tied for the best 20-yard shuttle (4.13 seconds), was third in the 60-yard shuttle (11.58 seconds), had the seventh-best vertical (34.5 inches), was ninth in the three-cone drill and was 12th with a 119-inch broad jump.

Only his straight speed was disappointing -- he ran a 4.75-second 40-yard dash at 244 pounds -- but Gedeon backed up his on-field play by showing some of the measureables that teams desire.

Ben Gedeon: “I want to show my athleticism,” he said the day before testing. “A lot of teams pigeonhole me as a run-thumper linebacker, and that’s something I want to prove them wrong. I want to prove I’m athletic enough to be a three-down linebacker and I can play in coverage and I can move around.”

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2017/03/07/michigan-football-ben-gedeon/98851366/

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Lost in the focus on straight-line speed at the NFL combine was former Michigan linebacker Ben Gedeon’s impressive performance.

After a nice showing in the Senior Bowl with nine tackles and a forced fumble, Gedeon was the strongest linebacker in Indianapolis, lifting 225 pounds 27 times. He tied for the best 20-yard shuttle (4.13 seconds), was third in the 60-yard shuttle (11.58 seconds), had the seventh-best vertical (34.5 inches), was ninth in the three-cone drill and was 12th with a 119-inch broad jump.

Only his straight speed was disappointing -- he ran a 4.75-second 40-yard dash at 244 pounds -- but Gedeon backed up his on-field play by showing some of the measureables that teams desire.

Compare those numbers with a former Vikings LB who had a decent career:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it funny how Elijah Lee is viewed as this raw, athletic linebacker with speed, and Gedeon is a down hill thumper.

Lee:
40 yard dash - 4.72
20 yard shuttle - 4.37
3 cone drill - 7.05

Gedeon:
40 yard dash - 4.75
20 yard shuttle - 4.13
3 cone drill - 6.98

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
I find it funny how Elijah Lee is viewed as this raw, athletic linebacker with speed, and Gedeon is a down hill thumper.

Lee:
40 yard dash - 4.72
20 yard shuttle - 4.37
3 cone drill - 7.05

Gedeon:
40 yard dash - 4.75
20 yard shuttle - 4.13
3 cone drill - 6.98

Wow lol. And Gedeon is 15-20 pounds heavier

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:

Lee:
40 yard dash - 4.72
20 yard shuttle - 4.37
3 cone drill - 7.05

Gedeon:
40 yard dash - 4.75
20 yard shuttle - 4.13
3 cone drill - 6.98

Probably has more to do with their builds than anything.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gedeon comes from a football family and was called a "throwback football player" by Spielman. His older brothers Alex (Harvard) and Sam (Navy's sprint football team) both played in college, but he now has bragging rights as the only one drafted.

"It's a dream come true," Gedeon said. "Growing up, it was something I always wanted to do. Hearing my name called in the draft was pretty special. ... I'm just excited to get to Minneapolis and compete."

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2017/05/hell_yeah_michigans_ben_gedeon.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: