Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pick #129 - David Sharpe (OT)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
For those that are not a fan of David Sharpe in the 4th round, who else would you pick instead? I think by now everybody knows I'm a huge fan of Ryan Switzer, but I was quite surprised he went in the 4th round after checking in at 5'8.5" with short length.

Blair Brown/Anthony Walker.
justwinbaby81

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
bitty wrote:
This makes more sense.

Sharpe is huge, though, at 6-foot-6, 343 pounds with an 87-inch wingspan, and Oakland head coach Jack Del Rio had some inside information on the Florida project. Del Rio’s son, Luke, was the Gators’ starting quarterback part of last season.

http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/article/Raiders-pick-says-he-is-not-blind-11108965.php

It's always funny what comes out the other end when the media plays telephone. I bet one person on twitter said he may have vision issues and it just spiraled from there. That's life in the digital age.

Glad he checked out ok. He looked good in combine drills and on tape. good feet for a guy his size.

It is interesting that we seem to be trying to get major value on 2 prospects in Conley and Sharpe that are viewed to have red flags that may not materialize. Let's hope that these picks pan out.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
For those that are not a fan of David Sharpe in the 4th round, who else would you pick instead? I think by now everybody knows I'm a huge fan of Ryan Switzer, but I was quite surprised he went in the 4th round after checking in at 5'8.5" with short length.

I would have preferred Will Holden.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Zach Banner and David Sharpe tagged as "typical" offensive lineman the Raiders might draft. I nearly used Sharpe in my mock as a 6th rounder. Ultimately I nixed the idea because I didn't the Raiders would go OT back to back. I compared their stock to Vadal Alexander's. I don't understand what the difference is between their stock and Vadal's as they are all heavy footed and lack the lateral quickness to succeed at OT in MOST NFL PB systems.

Sharpe has limited flexibility and Banner had hip surgery in college to fix a birth defect in his hips which limited his flexibility. Imo, neither has the flexibility to move inside to OG.

Tice's coaching and Carr's quick release (ranked 12th 2.49) is creating value at the OL position. They are feasting on heavy footed O linemen. My concern is less pass protection as whether this type of offensive lineman can get to the second level in creating running lanes.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So seems like he is going to be groomed at RT I would think.

Jylan Ware is the guy the must be developing for LT. He looks great.
Synyster

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
I had Zach Banner and David Sharpe tagged as "typical" offensive lineman the Raiders might draft. I nearly used Sharpe in my mock as a 6th rounder. Ultimately I nixed the idea because I didn't the Raiders would go OT back to back. I compared their stock to Vadal Alexander's. I don't understand what the difference is between their stock and Vadal's as they are all heavy footed and lack the lateral quickness to succeed at OT in MOST NFL PB systems.

Sharpe has limited flexibility and Banner had hip surgery in college to fix a birth defect in his hips which limited his flexibility. Imo, neither has the flexibility to move inside to OG.

Tice's coaching and Carr's quick release (ranked 12th 2.49) is creating value at the OL position. They are feasting on heavy footed O linemen. My concern is less pass protection as whether this type of offensive lineman can get to the second level in creating running lanes.

It's not like we don't like athletes at the OT position. The selection of Jayln Ware who's also functionally flexible shows that.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
IMO more athletic than he's getting credit for. Huge size is obvious and I like that he has time to learn, will definitely get a shot on the outside and I think he sticks there. Will never knock adding mass to the trenches in the mid/late rounds so welcome to the family!

This
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:

preach

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

preach

Well, it's obvious that they would have a harder time getting up field quickly. They are huge. But once they have been in the league a few years and get there bodies where they need to be thru training, development and diet they will be adequate for our needs. On top of that we have elite guys next to them that at guard that move well.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured we would draft an OL in the 4th, had it in one of my first mocks. Nevet let Tice go and keep getting deeper and deeper at OL. I never want Derek to have to go through what David did.
Counselor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharpe will end up starting at some point the next two years and play very well for you.

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple nice reps from Sharpe during the SEC championship game:

G

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:

I just never heard of him before. Names I knew better...
TE Butt
RB's Williams, Gallman
DT Watkins
LB's Walker
S/CB King

The 'blind' thing had me pissed at first but it seems way overblown so OLine depth is all good. At the time not happy, but he's growing on me.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:

I just never heard of him before. Names I knew better...
TE Butt
RB's Williams, Gallman
DT Watkins
LB's Walker
S/CB King

The 'blind' thing had me pissed at first but it seems way overblown so OLine depth is all good. At the time not happy, but he's growing on me.

Everyone has their favorites, but not knowing his name shouldn't be a reason to hate the pick. Not you specifically, but a lot of fans do that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: