Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

6.201: MINN - Bucky Hodges [TE #84] Virginia Tech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the 2017 tight end class was deeper than it has been in a decade, that didn’t quell Hodges’ frustration [at being picked late]. He knew he was better than 13th on the tight end depth chart and wasn’t shy about letting people know about it.

Hodges: “Just to see guys going in front of me, I know I’m better than, it adds fuel to my fire. When the game is on the line, I want the ball. When everything else isn’t working, I want to be a security blanket. I’m confident in my work ethic. The surrounding cast that I’m about to walk into is great for me.”

http://www.scout.com/nfl/vikings/story/1775677-holler-hodges-will-make-football-fun

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from spring mini camp today:

Bucky Hodges also looked good, as the mammoth rookie tight end showed off his athleticism in 1-on-1 drills against linebackers.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Observations-from-Vikings-Rookie-Minicamp/2163de45-2318-45cc-b0be-205c5c14b4d4?sf76463358=1

vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hodges, on wearing #84: “My first time that I ever probably said Moss, I was like 4 years old. I was outside with my dad. My dad used to always have me watching football and basketball, but I remember we were outside at my grandma’s house, Maxey Drive, and I was 4 years old. We were throwing the ball, and I was jumping. My father said, 'Who do you think you are?' I said, 'Moss, Moss, Moss!'"

“This 84 is legendary, and I want to build on it. There’s some big shoes to fill, but I held the 7 [of Michael Vick] down at Virginia Tech a little bit. Now, it’s time for me to hold 84 down. It’s a legendary number. I’m just hoping to throw my name into that hat and build on it so some kid will want to be like me someday.”

"There’s no better place for me to be than Minnesota, I love how this is a football town. The Vikings are everything up here. I’m very proud to be a part of this culture. There’s a lot of openings, and I’m hoping I can move my way up there.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Bucky-Hodges-Honored-to-Wear-Randy-Moss%E2%80%99-Purple-84/fb9d0116-902d-4727-a0e8-948db88cccda

Ozzy

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is curious why Hodges fell so far. Comparing Hodges and Evan Engram, Hodges is taller, heavier, has bigger hands and did better in the vertical, broad jump and was comparable in the 40 and the bench press.

People were impressed in college with Engram playing like a WR as a TE/HB in the slot. Yet he was never actually out wide, where as Hodges was literally out wide one on one with a corner and beat them in press coverage. Where as Engram never really did that and was also flexed on the line or in the slot. Put Engram out wide of the hash I doubt he would have been as productive of a player compared to being a major mismatch at TE/HB which is what Hodges arguably should have been.

I agree Hodges was not used well at Virginia Tech but they put him at the position of need for that offense. Can he become a better blocker, will see. Early in his career was kind of an question mark and seemed aloof. But physically he is very impressive, I had him as a 2nd round guy potentially not a 6th round guy.

People were amazing by Engram's 40 time, but you compare him to other big WRs that is just average really. Hodges has just as much potential as Engram does as a 1st round pick arguably. But Engram is in a situation that is almost ideal with the Giants, pass happy offense with a veteran QB and a quick short passing game with multiple weapons. If Will Tye can be productive I am sure Engram will as well. Then you have Hodges on a team where he would be at best what the 3rd string TE. Also they got this Nick Truesdell guy as a possible TE not to mention Moritz Bohringer. So a lot of size and "potential" guys there but will see if any can do anything.

Then again the interview process probably hurt Hodges, does seem very aloof or lackadaisical, almost seems like he is constantly high. Hopefully this drop in the draft motivates him a little more.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzy wrote:
Is curious why Hodges fell so far.

People were impressed in college with Engram playing like a WR as a TE/HB in the slot. Yet he was never actually out wide, where as Hodges was literally out wide one on one with a corner and beat them in press coverage. Where as Engram never really did that and was also flexed on the line or in the slot. Put Engram out wide of the hash I doubt he would have been as productive of a player compared to being a major mismatch at TE/HB which is what Hodges arguably should have been.

I agree Hodges was not used well at Virginia Tech but they put him at the position of need for that offense. Can he become a better blocker, will see. Early in his career was kind of an question mark and seemed aloof. But physically he is very impressive, I had him as a 2nd round guy potentially not a 6th round guy.

I think you explained exactly why it happened. You could see on tape Engram in the role he'd be asked to play in the NFL. Unless you thought Hodges was going to be in a Kelvin Benjamin role, it was a lot of projecting and guesswork for what Hodges could be.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Bercich breaks down some Virginia Tech film on Hodges:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Film-Room-Hodges-Size-Speed-Create-Mismatches/8d77f9c5-5c08-4fc5-a5ff-ebaedab57736

SemperFeist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We might not have any superstars at the skilled positions. But the Vikings have quickly created themselves a stacked chess set of weapons.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The collection of Vikings rookies have all flashed potential during OTAs, and Thursday was tight end Bucky Hodges’ turn to shine. The sixth-round pick stood out during the final portion of Thursday’s practice. Minnesota’s offense started at its own 30-yard line and had to drive the length of the field with 50 seconds left.

Quarterback Case Keenum connected with Hodges on a 20-yard play where the tight end got out of bounds to stop the clock. Hodges then made a heads-up play by immediately going to the ground after an 11-yard grab to allow the offense to spike the ball.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Observations-Vikings-Wrap-Up-Final-OTA-Practice/0afbf5d4-dfaa-477c-9d41-3cf2eebbaf50?sf86596763=1[/b]

Heimdallr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Hodges then made a heads-up play by immediately going to the ground after an 11-yard grab to allow the offense to spike the ball.

that is the type of stuff that gets coaches' attention.

also: it took me forever to figure out the proper plural possessive of 'coach'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

What the heck is Tommy Armstrong diving at?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:

#effort?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:

maintaining his professional career...?

eh, he could have slipped right before the pic was taken.

Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

But what's the fun in that?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

But what's the fun in that?

hey, at least he fell but could presumably get up.

where i come from, that's a win.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: