Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who's yo homie: Glennon or Trubisky?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which
Mitchell Trubisky
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Mike Glennon
82%
 82%  [ 32 ]
Mark Sanchez
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 39

topwop1

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah112 wrote:
Fox is not the guy you want developing Trubisky.

Well he's not going to be. Fox is a defensive minded head coach.

He has Loggains and Ragone here to try and develop the kid into something.

Say what you will about your confidence in these guys but I'd say they did more than an alright job with both Hoyer and Barkley last year considering the talent levels of both those guys.
ForteOz

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Glennon (puke in my mouth) because 'whoever is better' was not an option. At this point I'm assuming Glennon is the better and more prepared pro.
We don't have Brett Favre, so lets just stop with the Aaron Rodgers comparison. A rookie coming in and playing better than Brett Favre is pretty hard to do.
A rookie coming in and playing better than Mike Glennon SHOULD NOT BE.

Most of the time when you draft a guy that high to play QB, he's going to see the field at some point in the first year.

This other idea of 'saving him from the Soldier Field meat heads' is also ridiculous. The longer he sits on the bench not playing, the higher the expectations will be when he does, in order for it to be 'worth the wait'.

I think Glennon is here just to be the bar that Trubisky will have to clear in order to see the playing field. It may be an expensive way to motivate a guy, but it works.

These reports about Glennon being 'upset' are just precious. I guess we just aren't giving him the respect his body of work over the last 2 years deserves.
dll2000

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two competing theories to QB development.

Theory 1 says you sit and learn and then play in year 2 or 3. Reasoning is you aren't ready and you could lose confidence. It also may be that the team/coach doesn't want to lose while your learning. If you play when ready rather than being thrown to wolves you will be better in long run. Maybe also you don't develop bad habits.

Theory 2 says you play now, take your lumps are learn through total immersion in the process. Reasoning is you learn faster and better by doing it and getting the necessary bulk of reps and coaching attention. I don't think anyone disagrees that you get much better at anything sports related without reps.

There is some logic to both and reasonable people can disagree.

Its a moot point since Bears have already publicly chosen theory 1, but I am a proponent of theory 2. If this is your guy, a top 10 pick, you spend 95% of your time getting him ready to be an NFL QB in your scheme so he is ready sooner rather than later. You still have to play live to get better no matter how much you know on paper and at practice speed.

Other part of theory 2 is you usually stink in year 1 and often year 2 as well so in your initial 5 year window you are getting an opportunity to add top college talent for your new QB and team. If you play the veteran and go .500 you don't get the first choice of players in the draft.

In year 3 you are looking to compete for playoffs with blue chip talent from previous 2 drafts and hopefully you have selected well.

Bridge QB pushes everything back and makes getting to top tier harder IMO.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best case scenario: Trubisky grabs the job and runs with it like Prescott and Carr.

Good scenario: Glennon plays well and Trubisky sits and the Bears can have them compete or flip Glennon for a pick.

Likely scenario: Glennon plays okay and is replaced in week 12-14 by Trubisky.

Bad scenario: Glennon struggles/injured and Trubisky plays and takes some Lille before he is ready.

Nightmare scenario: Glennon sucks and Trubisky has to play way before he is ready.
G08

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Best case scenario: Trubisky grabs the job and runs with it like Prescott and Carr.

Good scenario: Glennon plays well and Trubisky sits and the Bears can have them compete or flip Glennon for a pick.

Bad scenario: Glennon struggles/injured and Trubisky plays and takes some Lille before he is ready.

Nightmare scenario: Glennon sucks and Trubisky has to play way before he is ready.

I think Trubisky will be QB3 so even in your nightmare scenario, I think Sanchez will be playing.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
G08

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dll2000 wrote:
There are two competing theories to QB development.

Theory 1 says you sit and learn and then play in year 2 or 3. Reasoning is you aren't ready and you could lose confidence. It also may be that the team/coach doesn't want to lose while your learning. If you play when ready rather than being thrown to wolves you will be better in long run. Maybe also you don't develop bad habits.

Theory 2 says you play now, take your lumps are learn through total immersion in the process. Reasoning is you learn faster and better by doing it and getting the necessary bulk of reps and coaching attention. I don't think anyone disagrees that you get much better at anything sports related without reps.

There is some logic to both and reasonable people can disagree.

Its a moot point since Bears have already publicly chosen theory 1, but I am a proponent of theory 2. If this is your guy, a top 10 pick, you spend 95% of your time getting him ready to be an NFL QB in your scheme so he is ready sooner rather than later. You still have to play live to get better no matter how much you know on paper and at practice speed.

Other part of theory 2 is you usually stink in year 1 and often year 2 as well so in your initial 5 year window you are getting an opportunity to add top college talent for your new QB and team. If you play the veteran and go .500 you don't get the first choice of players in the draft.

In year 3 you are looking to compete for playoffs with blue chip talent from previous 2 drafts and hopefully you have selected well.

Bridge QB pushes everything back and makes getting to top tier harder IMO.

I typically agree with theory 1 but this kid is coming from a spread system, never called plays in the huddle, never (if not rarely) took snaps from under center, and (not kidding) didn't know what a hard count was until Gruden taught him.

He's raw and simply unprepared. One year of learning everything without the pressure of performing will do him wonders, IMO. It worked magnificently for him at UNC.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
dll2000

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit him or wait and see theory is nice, but reality is every question will be when will we see Trubiksy. Every discussion on radio will be when will we see MT. It starts now. MT watch they will call it.

Pressure will mount. It will effect the team (and Glennon) which isnt top tier anyway. After every loss, why not play MT now? Why? When? Why? When? Lets see what we have. Common. Booooooooooo! No shows.

Eventually they will cave to pressure and MT will play. Then he will struggle even more because he didnt get the bulk of reps and coaching attention in offseason and training camp.

Why not start out with the inevitable now?
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2017 I am 100% #TeamGlennon

I hope Glennon absolutely wrecks shop and earns year 2 & 3 of his contract.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
51to54

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Best case scenario that we are due after waiting since 1949 for the next Luckman-
Glennon plays very well, but goes down after week 6 with a minor injury and Trubisky takes the job and never looks back on his way to multiple probowls and then we get a first and two seconds for Glennon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: