Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bills not picking up Sammy Watkins' 5th year option
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
I want to know why people think it was a dumb move to not offer someone 13.5 million guaranteed for injuries which he is coming off a 2nd foot injury in 2 years who isn't 100% and hasnt been since Week 13 of 2015? Best case scenario for both sides is he is 100% gets 1000+ yards and 8+ td like he did the 1st 2 years and bills franchise him. If this happens no team would let that player walk even if the franchise tag is at 17 mil which it would likely be less then that. The tag is usually 110% of what that player made the previous year or the average of the top 5 salaries at that position whatever is higher. With him making little this year it will likely be top 5 which according to spotrac.com is 15.2 mil so unless im wrong that is the price you are looking at to tag him. So again I ask why would you just hand someone 13.5 mil in 2018 without any production in 2017 over paying a little extra to see him produce and play a full season healthy, if not produce due to injury then this risk of not paying him now will work out. The Team is thinking about the future and not desperate to retain someone who may not be at the level the fans want him to be.

Also bills can offer him the transition tag and pay him 14 mil and allow him to figure out his market by letting him sign with another team and then the bills can match it. So again its not like the bills are just letting him walk because of a 5th year option isnt signed.

Probably because it could hamper a long term extension if he does stay healthy and produce. Some people are looking long term not just next 2 seasons.

It's a slippery slope that could be a smart move or could be a dumb move. I think the fanbase is split at this point.
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:
cdavls17 wrote:
I want to know why people think it was a dumb move to not offer someone 13.5 million guaranteed for injuries which he is coming off a 2nd foot injury in 2 years who isn't 100% and hasnt been since Week 13 of 2015? Best case scenario for both sides is he is 100% gets 1000+ yards and 8+ td like he did the 1st 2 years and bills franchise him. If this happens no team would let that player walk even if the franchise tag is at 17 mil which it would likely be less then that. The tag is usually 110% of what that player made the previous year or the average of the top 5 salaries at that position whatever is higher. With him making little this year it will likely be top 5 which according to spotrac.com is 15.2 mil so unless im wrong that is the price you are looking at to tag him. So again I ask why would you just hand someone 13.5 mil in 2018 without any production in 2017 over paying a little extra to see him produce and play a full season healthy, if not produce due to injury then this risk of not paying him now will work out. The Team is thinking about the future and not desperate to retain someone who may not be at the level the fans want him to be.

Also bills can offer him the transition tag and pay him 14 mil and allow him to figure out his market by letting him sign with another team and then the bills can match it. So again its not like the bills are just letting him walk because of a 5th year option isnt signed.

Probably because it could hamper a long term extension if he does stay healthy and produce. Some people are looking long term not just next 2 seasons.

It's a slippery slope that could be a smart move or could be a dumb move. I think the fanbase is split at this point.
If Sammy gets pissy because the team doesn't want to keep throwing money at him when he hasn't shown any ability to stay healthy than he can get the hell out of Buffalo. Sammy has done absolutely nothing in his time here to demand any sort of special treatment. I have nothing against him but he simply hasn't been even remotely close to reliable.

We owe him nothing because he's proved nothing. I'd rather lose Sammy and replace him with a less talented guy who can be counted on to play the occasional football game rather than keep him and see his name on the injury list year after year. He has got to prove that he can stay healthy and contribute before the Bills owe him anything. If that upsets him than good riddance.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
Sacrifice is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice.
NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeEvans wrote:
BillsGuy82 wrote:
cdavls17 wrote:

If Sammy gets pissy because the team doesn't want to keep throwing money at him when he hasn't shown any ability to stay healthy than he can get the hell out of Buffalo. Sammy has done absolutely nothing in his time here to demand any sort of special treatment. I have nothing against him but he simply hasn't been even remotely close to reliable.

We owe him nothing because he's proved nothing. I'd rather lose Sammy and replace him with a less talented guy who can be counted on to play the occasional football game rather than keep him and see his name on the injury list year after year. He has got to prove that he can stay healthy and contribute before the Bills owe him anything. If that upsets him than good riddance.

This guy gets it!!!

I love Sammy. I bought his jersey within 10 minutes of it appearing for pre-order. I wanted him any way possible. To say I don't want us to resign him would be off the mark. But the reality is, he hasn't earned the pay day yet. I hope he does this year, we all know he's talented. We have plenty of cap space to get a significant deal done next year. So if he proves it, he'll get his money.

Hootlander

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at it this way. Picking up the option would have been the old way of the Bills doing business. Shaddy's extension, the Darius extension, giving up two picks for a WR with injury issues, picking a DE with injury issues. Not over paying for TD Mike, not drafting a LB with injury and off field issues, not drafting CBS or WRs with injury and/or off field issues, trading down & getting a #1 next year even though it will be low . I am all in on the new philosophy of drafting high quality smart players with no issues.
We have to stop being a stupid emotional football team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: