Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Secondary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DR43

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Secondary Reply with quote

With the addition of our two CB draft picks, I was expecting us to make a tough choice as to who would get gut cut in order to keep the number of CBs on the roster steady at five.

I think we all want us to keep the most talented guys for next season but don't want lose a solid prospect like Brian Allen. If Allen were to get cut, I would certainly expect another team to pick him up. It would be doubtful that he'd be on our practice squad come this fall.

However, looking at our depth chart for next year, it appears that we're low on safeties. Davis, Mitchell, Golden, and Dangerfield are the only credible safeties on the roster. In fact, the only other ones listed on our depth chart per Ourlads, is undrafted Free Agent Terrish Webb and 2nd year pro Jacob Hagen.

Knowing, this would you all expect us to keep all six CBs on the roster? Six CBs seems a man or so high but ten total DBs is about right. You can all see my concern as Allen would most likely be the odd man out if we would trim the roster down to five CBs.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Secondary Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:
With the addition of our two CB draft picks, I was expecting us to make a tough choice as to who would get gut cut in order to keep the number of CBs on the roster steady at five.

I think we all want us to keep the most talented guys for next season but don't want lose a solid prospect like Brian Allen. If Allen were to get cut, I would certainly expect another team to pick him up. It would be doubtful that he'd be on our practice squad come this fall.

However, looking at our depth chart for next year, it appears that we're low on safeties. Davis, Mitchell, Golden, and Dangerfield are the only credible safeties on the roster. In fact, the only other ones listed on our depth chart per Ourlads, is undrafted Free Agent Terrish Webb and 2nd year pro Jacob Hagen.

Knowing, this would you all expect us to keep all six CBs on the roster? Six CBs seems a man or so high but ten total DBs is about right. You can all see my concern as Allen would most likely be the odd man out if we would trim the roster down to five CBs.

As I see it, they drafted him knowing he wasn't ready to see the field. One would hope they know a kid with his physical attributes won't last on the PS very long (at least I wouldn't wanna gamble that nor should they). You make a good point in regards to the 4 Safeties and 6 CBs making 10 DBs. That would make some sense. So, if Golson comes back (I think he will) and they keep Allen that leaves Sensabaugh out with Gay, Burns, Sutton and Cockrell making 6. Unless Allen shows some STs prowess he may not be dressing most Sundays but hopefully he makes the roster as his future is bright I think.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
DR43

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Secondary Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
DR43 wrote:

As I see it, they drafted him knowing he wasn't ready to see the field. One would hope they know a kid with his physical attributes won't last on the PS very long (at least I wouldn't wanna gamble that nor should they). You make a good point in regards to the 4 Safeties and 6 CBs making 10 DBs. That would make some sense. So, if Golson comes back (I think he will) and they keep Allen that leaves Sensabaugh out with Gay, Burns, Sutton and Cockrell making 6. Unless Allen shows some STs prowess he may not be dressing most Sundays but hopefully he makes the roster as his future is bright I think.

I forgot about Sensabaugh. If we do go with six CBs, that should mean it will come down to Sensabaugh vs Allen for the final roster spot. Hopefully, Allen can show his ability on special teams.
Dcash4

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think Gay is on the outside looking in. Willie was such a liability where we had to tailor all defensive choices around the fact that he wasnt flexible enough to play man on any sort of consistent basis. Tomlin loves flexibility and Gay is pretty much a zone slot corner only.

From hearing press conferences and what the coaches had said regarding finding more guys to play man -- I think they move on from Gay and keep more defense flexible players.

I kinda think this is why they brought Sensabaugh over. He can be the NFL vet presence in that room as well as have a little more flexibility on the field as far as inside/outside and concept.

If Gay does make the team, I hope it ends in some form of a time share based on need.
Steelers2014

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcash4 wrote:
Personally, I think Gay is on the outside looking in. Willie was such a liability where we had to tailor all defensive choices around the fact that he wasnt flexible enough to play man on any sort of consistent basis. Tomlin loves flexibility and Gay is pretty much a zone slot corner only.

From hearing press conferences and what the coaches had said regarding finding more guys to play man -- I think they move on from Gay and keep more defense flexible players.

I kinda think this is why they brought Sensabaugh over. He can be the NFL vet presence in that room as well as have a little more flexibility on the field as far as inside/outside and concept.

If Gay does make the team, I hope it ends in some form of a time share based on need.
Gay and Moats pretty much locked into a spot based on leadership and who they are off the field
skywlker32

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers2014 wrote:
Dcash4 wrote:

Gay and Moats pretty much locked into a spot based on leadership and who they are off the field

I don't necessarily agree. If it is a close call on who to keep, they get the benefit of the doubt, but they are by no means locks.

Sensabaugh, Gay, Allen and Golson are likely fighting for 3 spots. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them go. I think the only guys you can count on being on the team with almost all certainty are Burns, Sutton and Cockrell.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
Dcash4

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers2014 wrote:
Dcash4 wrote:

Listen, I'm normally the first guy to say that those types or guys are locks to be on the roster for those reasons, but I think this year COULD be different for Gay.

There already is a tremendous vet presence on defense. Heyward and Tuitt are vets, Shazier is going to be a 4 year starter, Mitchell has been around, we still have Harrison, and Cockrell is on year three with us plus sensabaugh is a bet.

we also just drafted a bunch of high character guys by all reports.

If Gay slips to 4th on the depth chart he offers little. He isn't a special teamer (moates is) and lacks versatility of scheme.

I am not saying it's a done deal, but he is by no means a lock this year. Competition and camp is going to be fun this year.
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcash4 wrote:
Steelers2014 wrote:
Dcash4 wrote:

Listen, I'm normally the first guy to say that those types or guys are locks to be on the roster for those reasons, but I think this year COULD be different for Gay.

There already is a tremendous vet presence on defense. Heyward and Tuitt are vets, Shazier is going to be a 4 year starter, Mitchell has been around, we still have Harrison, and Cockrell is on year three with us plus sensabaugh is a bet.

If Gay slips to 4th on the depth chart he offers little. He isn't a special teamer (moates is) and lacks versatility of scheme.

I am not saying it's a done deal, but he is by no means a lock this year. Competition and camp is going to be fun this year.

Gay is going to Start the season opener ( barring injury). There is no one on the roster that is going to beat him out after 1 camp.

Could Gay be replaced by October? If so by whom? Sutton and Golson have zero NFL games played.

The question is will anyone replace Michell? This I also doubt.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Dcash4 wrote:
Steelers2014 wrote:
Dcash4 wrote:

Gay is going to Start the season opener ( barring injury). There is no one on the roster that is going to beat him out after 1 camp.

Could Gay be replaced by October? If so by whom? Sutton and Golson have zero NFL games played.

The question is will anyone replace Michell? This I also doubt.

I disagree with you on this one buddy. I think Gay will probably be the odd man out. I think they signed Sensabaugh as a William Gay type veteran with experience a la Brice Mc Cain.

My Predicted CB Depth Chart

Cockrell Burns
Golson Sensabaugh
Sutton Allen

Barring injuries, by week 10 or so I predict it will probably change if the players develop properly to:

Golson Burns
Sutton Cockrell
Sensabaugh Allen

Safety should look like this barring injury for another year:

Mitchell Davis
Dangerfield Golden

I was hoping that they drafted a potential true FS safety, but they lost out on some good ones after round four and this wasn't a deep year at the position after a few of the top guys in rounds one - four.
Dcash4

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

I think that guy could be Sensabaugh. Willie Gay cannot play man and thats something that the steelers seem to be focusing on - between Tomlin press conferences and the way they have drafted. Willie doesnt fit that mold as he is strictly a zone, slot corner.

Position and scheme flexibility - you have none of that with Willie Gay. Sensabaugh can be inside and out as well as scheme friendly. Not saying he is great, but neither is Gay and he hinders us from other potential opportunities.

Quote:

Anyone?

Again, Sensabaugh has plenty of NFL games under his belt.

Shazier, Dupree, Burns, Davis, Hargrave, Williams, and even guys like Cockrell are all people that had "0 NFL experience" and started games for us their rookie year.

This isnt the complex - Lebeau defensive scheme. They have no issues playing rookies anymore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: