Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5th rd, G Isaac Asiata

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: 5th rd, G Isaac Asiata Reply with quote

I think we need a thread on IA. This could be the most important pick out of his draft, 3 years from now. IA is a powerful run blocker that loves contact. He is at his best when playing forward, where he uses his strong arms and shoulders to muscle defenders out of the lane. He has really good feet, and can mirror when needed. In fact, his greatest weakness is being patient. On plays where he needs to stay put to prevent late rushers, he was too eager to help and would get out of his lane, allowing defenders to crash in. This is technique problem, and can be corrected. He is a natural LG, and if he learns discipline, he can be a day one starter.

I was concerned that the Phins were going to miss out on IA. I knew that they were very high on him from the pre-draft rumors. Great job Grier for trading up to make sure they got him.

IA is from the pacific islands, his 1st cousin plays in the NFL. He is a hard worker and exudes the warrior culture of his birthplace. Seeing him one on one with Suh is going to be a treat during training camp.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread!!!

IA was probably my favorite pick in this draft. We really need an OG that can creat space in the run game, and this guy has that skill set. Unlike a couple of our OG picks in the recent past, IA has the strength and power to push people around. Ironically he reminds me of Incognito.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
Nice thread!!!

IA was probably my favorite pick in this draft. We really need an OG that can creat space in the run game, and this guy has that skill set. Unlike a couple of our OG picks in the recent past, IA has the strength and power to push people around. Ironically he reminds me of Incognito.

I like that comp as well, and I agree on it being my favorite pick. I had him as a late 2nd/early 3rd type talent, so to get him in the 5th was great. I think I saw one of the beat writers say that he would have gone much, much earlier but a knee issue popped up on the medicals. Visions of Ajayi part II are dancing in my head.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft reports saying he is a mean and nasty OG. Seems a bit bigger and less mobile than your typical zone-scheme OL, but he said he played multiple schemes in college.

Surely between Asiata / Bushrod / Larsen / Urbik a couple decent starters will emerge.

Right? Right??
hrubes20

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Draft reports saying he is a mean and nasty OG. Seems a bit bigger and less mobile than your typical zone-scheme OL, but he said he played multiple schemes in college.

Surely between Asiata / Bushrod / Larsen / Urbik a couple decent starters will emerge.

Right? Right??

I'll take the under if the odds are set at 1.5. Unless we REALLY stretch the definition of decent. If we do that, I could see 2 starters emerge.

ericsvibe

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

Right? Right??

I'll take the under if the odds are set at 1.5. Unless we REALLY stretch the definition of decent. If we do that, I could see 2 starters emerge.

Unlike our other recent OG's, IA has natural power. He put up 35 reps on the bench. I watched his combine performance, and he moves really well in space. On tape he just mauled DT's. On pulling plays he got out quickly and moved well. Sometimes he would just hit the first guy he saw, again a technique issue, instead of locating the key defender to blow the lane open. Seeing his full sleeve warrior tattoo on his arm, just lets you know what he is about. Go look at his combine photo, all the other players try to look hard in the photo. IA is there just cheesing away.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsvibe wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

Right? Right??

Unlike our other recent OG's, IA has natural power. He put up 35 reps on the bench. I watched his combine performance, and he moves really well in space. On tape he just mauled DT's. On pulling plays he got out quickly and moved well. Sometimes he would just hit the first guy he saw, again a technique issue, instead of locating the key defender to blow the lane open. Seeing his full sleeve warrior tattoo on his arm, just lets you know what he is about. Go look at his combine photo, all the other players try to look hard in the photo. IA is there just cheesing away.

I think he can be a really solid OG starting in 2018. But he does have those issues that would likely prevent him from be a really good starting option in 2017. Bushrod was terrible last year, and Larsen/Urbik are depth guys. Still not a rosy picture for 2017.

ericsvibe

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
ericsvibe wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

Right? Right??

I think he can be a really solid OG starting in 2018. But he does have those issues that would likely prevent him from be a really good starting option in 2017. Bushrod was terrible last year, and Larsen/Urbik are depth guys. Still not a rosy picture for 2017.

This is the very reason I think that IA has a chance at starting this year. Steen has shown allot of promise, and if he can get stronger in his base this offseason he can start at LG. I think that IA can beat out Bushrod, IF he can learn the offense. IA doesn't need any improvement physically. He just needs to learn to play with patience.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: