Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 1, Pick 22, Miami selects... DE/OLB Charles Harris
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hrubes20


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 13010
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rgossett07 wrote:
Don't hate it but don't love it.

Read an article that said Miami has 2 teams call them to trade up. Grier said he didn't really even look at the offers cause they knew Harris was the guy. If that is true he needs to be canned.

In almost every trade last night, the team trading up over paid except the Niners.

I kept saying Miami had to come away from the first two days of the draft with 2 Starters. Wondering if Davis was their pick if Lions had gone in different direction the pick before. My BPA (based on need) last night at #22

1. Foster
2. Lamp
3. Watt
4. King
5. Harris


I saw that as well. Just terrible all around. But, it is what it is at this point. Here's hoping the rest of the draft gets better.
_________________


Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mountainpd


Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 2976
Location: Fareham, UK
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Rgossett07 wrote:
Don't hate it but don't love it.

Read an article that said Miami has 2 teams call them to trade up. Grier said he didn't really even look at the offers cause they knew Harris was the guy. If that is true he needs to be canned.

In almost every trade last night, the team trading up over paid except the Niners.

I kept saying Miami had to come away from the first two days of the draft with 2 Starters. Wondering if Davis was their pick if Lions had gone in different direction the pick before. My BPA (based on need) last night at #22

1. Foster
2. Lamp
3. Watt
4. King
5. Harris


I saw that as well. Just terrible all around. But, it is what it is at this point. Here's hoping the rest of the draft gets better.


I think he has to say that now doesn't he?

Kelly reckons Falcons were trying to trade up and grab him and although I would have let them if he is number 1 on their board fair play.
_________________


^^^Kempes^^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
hrubes20


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 13010
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountainpd wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
Rgossett07 wrote:
Don't hate it but don't love it.

Read an article that said Miami has 2 teams call them to trade up. Grier said he didn't really even look at the offers cause they knew Harris was the guy. If that is true he needs to be canned.

In almost every trade last night, the team trading up over paid except the Niners.

I kept saying Miami had to come away from the first two days of the draft with 2 Starters. Wondering if Davis was their pick if Lions had gone in different direction the pick before. My BPA (based on need) last night at #22

1. Foster
2. Lamp
3. Watt
4. King
5. Harris


I saw that as well. Just terrible all around. But, it is what it is at this point. Here's hoping the rest of the draft gets better.


I think he has to say that now doesn't he?

Kelly reckons Falcons were trying to trade up and grab him and although I would have let them if he is number 1 on their board fair play.


That would have brought back at least a 3rd rounder to drop to the Falcons pick, if true. I have to ignore stuff like this or I will get myself worked up.
_________________


Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Emerica


Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Posts: 1583
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsvibe wrote:
Chris Grier has already placed the kiss of death on Harris. His exact comments were that they envision Harris as a situational pass rush specialist, who will play on 3rd down and long. His only job will be to rush the passer.

Branch will play most of the snaps at DE.


He did? Don't remember hearing that. I remember hearing him say he's going to be in the top 4 rotation. Y'all expected us to get a pass rusher that could unseat Wake and Branch at 22 or what lol? It's normal for DE in the late first to start off as pass rush specialists anyways, not sure what's wrong with that. Not in LOVE with the pick but I don't hate it either. Pass rush was one of our need and he was the best pass rusher on the board. I think people are upset because it wasn't a flashy pick but Foster definitely has issues if he slipped that far down. Not that I would've been against the pick.

Plenty of time to get some competition at other position of needs today and tomorrow. So much overreaction in this thread already.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hrubes20


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 13010
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerica wrote:
ericsvibe wrote:
Chris Grier has already placed the kiss of death on Harris. His exact comments were that they envision Harris as a situational pass rush specialist, who will play on 3rd down and long. His only job will be to rush the passer.

Branch will play most of the snaps at DE.


He did? Don't remember hearing that. I remember hearing him say he's going to be in the top 4 rotation. Y'all expected us to get a pass rusher that could unseat Wake and Branch at 22 or what lol? It's normal for DE in the late first to start off as pass rush specialists anyways, not sure what's wrong with that. Not in LOVE with the pick but I don't hate it either. Pass rush was one of our need and he was the best pass rusher on the board. I think people are upset because it wasn't a flashy pick but Foster definitely has issues if he slipped that far down. Not that I would've been against the pick.

Plenty of time to get some competition at other position of needs today and tomorrow. So much overreaction in this thread already.


That's not it at all. Would I have preferred Foster? Absolutely. But there are several others I would have preferred as well. I can't speak for others, but Harris himself is a big reason why the pick was bad. He's just not that good of a player. He is a liability in the run game, and guess what, that was where the defense struggled the most last year. He didn't test great for a DE his size, and his production in college came against mediocre talent, despite playing in the vaunted SEC.
_________________


Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheKillerNacho


Moderator
Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 15008
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsvibe wrote:
Chris Grier has already placed the kiss of death on Harris. His exact comments were that they envision Harris as a situational pass rush specialist, who will play on 3rd down and long. His only job will be to rush the passer.

Branch will play most of the snaps at DE.


He probably means for his rookie season, in fairness. Take a look at the teams who drafted QBs - all of them have said that the role of their players would be that of a back up.

Not really a "kiss of death". Obviously Grier is very high on Harris or he wouldn't have rushed to draft him. It's not unusual for a mid-first-round defensive player to be part of a rotation his rookie season. That doesn't mean Grier doesn't envision Harris eventually becoming a starter, though.

If I had to guess, Harris is intended to be Wake's replacement when he declines/retires. He definitely has work to do in defending the run. But that isn't untrue of a lot of DEs.

Personally I would've picked Lamp. And while I'm not saying let's be blinding optimistic, the tone of this thread is a bit more pessimistic than I think is due.
_________________
With much cheese,

Nacho Simulation Football League
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
cddolphin


Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 12454
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet if we had drafted a run-stopping DE like Taco, some of us would be complaining he's an inadequate pass rusher.

Had we drafted a CB, we would've been bemoaning the fact that our need at DL was ignored.

Lot more talent is going to be added folks. Let's see how everything shakes out.. even then, I'll err on the side of positivity until these prospects show me otherwise.
_________________
huzzah
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ovaw8lover


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 9327
Location: Dolphins Stadium
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent followed the draft as much this year but from what I see and read of Charles Harris, this is a great pick. The so called "experts" want to point that Miami did not draft any starters this year but I think Charles Harris is going to morph into a monster. The tape I see on him and his hip fluidity will make him a problem in pass protection. I could care less if he starts but I guarantee that guy will make a impact rushing the passer.

The only pick that bothered me was Davon Godchaux. There is no way I take Davon Godchaux over Vincent Taylor. The single most important thing for a defensive lineman is getting off on the snap and Davon does not show that. I also do not see any explosion in his hips. I think Vincent Taylor is an interesting prospect.

Also what is the deal with Miami drafting Utah players? Gees man, it seems we have a pipeline into the Utes program.
_________________
"Yesterday Is History, Tomorrow Is A Mystery, And Today Is A Gift. That Is Why It Is Called The Present.""
Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ericsvibe


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 1185
Location: East Helena, MT
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent allot of time looking at tape on Harris. He wasn't a player I spent a lot of time researching as he is very one dimensional. As a speed pass rusher he is one of the best in this draft. But he is almost a physical clone of Cam Wake, but with one huge difference. Wake is built like a tank. He is probably one of the most powerful defensive players in the league. Wake looks like a powerlifter, and he uses that brute strength along with his blinding speed to overwhelm O-lineman. Harris has elite speed, but he needs to get stronger. He was able to pushback lesser O-tackles in college, but he won't be able to do that against NFL talent. Most of the analysts I saw had Harris converting to SOLB in the NFL. Harris is also on the short side, which hurt him in run defense. He graded very low in this area.

So what we have is pass rush specialist, who if he works hard and adds 15 lbs of muscle, he may be able to be a decent run defender. But at 253 lbs, that isn't going to happen. Harris isn't a jacked 253 lbs either, he has some fat on his frame. Again I don't hate the pick, but in the first round, I feel that they should have drafted a player capable of starting right away.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ovaw8lover


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 9327
Location: Dolphins Stadium
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsvibe wrote:
I've spent allot of time looking at tape on Harris. He wasn't a player I spent a lot of time researching as he is very one dimensional. As a speed pass rusher he is one of the best in this draft. But he is almost a physical clone of Cam Wake, but with one huge difference. Wake is built like a tank. He is probably one of the most powerful defensive players in the league. Wake looks like a powerlifter, and he uses that brute strength along with his blinding speed to overwhelm O-lineman. Harris has elite speed, but he needs to get stronger. He was able to pushback lesser O-tackles in college, but he won't be able to do that against NFL talent. Most of the analysts I saw had Harris converting to SOLB in the NFL. Harris is also on the short side, which hurt him in run defense. He graded very low in this area.

So what we have is pass rush specialist, who if he works hard and adds 15 lbs of muscle, he may be able to be a decent run defender. But at 253 lbs, that isn't going to happen. Harris isn't a jacked 253 lbs either, he has some fat on his frame. Again I don't hate the pick, but in the first round, I feel that they should have drafted a player capable of starting right away.


You are comparing a rookie to a proven NFL veteran. Wake did not come out of college a finished product, which is why he was undrafted and honed his skills in the CFL.

This guy reminds me a lot of Marco Coleman. Came out of college and Shula didnt know where to put him. He was too slow to play LB and undersized to be a 4-3 DE but that was the position he was productive. If Miami is smart they will do what the Giants did with JPP, which is play him in those nickle and dime packages and allow him to grow into being a pro.
_________________
"Yesterday Is History, Tomorrow Is A Mystery, And Today Is A Gift. That Is Why It Is Called The Present.""
Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group