Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Grades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Draft Grades Reply with quote

Figured we could use a thread for everyone to grade each of our eight draft picks. Interested to know where everyone stands, which members are highest/lowest on which picks etc.

Working on mine right now.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 1) Bolles A= listen I know there are some detractors on here rightfully so. And while Foster would of been a nice luxory pick. This not only fits a need but his potential is through the roof. If Danny Watkins never gets drafted Bolles could of went top 15 imo. Franchise left tackles are hard to find past pick 10 even more than qbs. Bolles fits this criteria potential wise. He and Nate Solders are the biggest potential Left tackles since even before 2010 outside the top 10 picks.
2) Walker- B+ love his motor, upside and ability to be student of the game. I hated the Derek Wolfe pick. This guy is in the same mold. Doesn't wow you with speed but really makes up for it with effort and technique.
3) Henderson - B Listen if you go based off of projected round this picl was a reach. But look at the top 3 receivers im the draft they were all reaches maybe the board's, are different than the draft experts. My logic is scewed amd will forever be scewed becauseof guys like mike mitchell who were over drafted, but he's still playimg at a high level in the league 10 years later.
3b) Langley A- what better development cb than him? First round measurables. He's strong and physical. Has a chip on his shoulders. Yes he's raw but I believer the coaching staff, and pro bowl mentors can get the best out of him.
5 Butt B+ - the guy is either an extreme steal who gets past his 2 torn acls and becomes a complete tight end or he doesn't but in round 5 hes worth the gamble.
5b McKenzie D- Listen this guy is explosive, and does have a high ceiling on special teams but I'm not sure that's worth the pocl given the skill we added on special teams prior to this pick. The only reason this pick doesn't get an f is because the play makers I've seen him compared to and the fact that I'd like to thinkthe front office has a plan of an ideal ceiling that extends passed special teams.
6 Henderson rb B+- You look at cj anderson he has a similar build and for 3 years Anderson proved to be able to get the work load. He even helped us wina Superbowl. This guy is built like him but is more explosive. I loved MJD I like thr thick bubble butt rbs with tree trunks for legs that can do it all. At the very least we got a guy contributing to special teams and future 3rd down back duties. At best we found ourpoor mans mjd.
7) Chad Kelly A all day- You'll never finda guy with a better skill set who produced against elite competition in college see Alabama twice. If he matured from his off the field issue's and hones in we got a steal and a potential future starter. Storylines wise I could definitely see it Elway drafting the nephew of a fellow 83' draft pick who becomes the Broncos franchise qb.

Final Grade B+

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^I think this is about right. My favorite pick was Walker, however. He not only fills a void left by Malik Jackson, but he seems like a great leader for the future. I think he becomes an All-Pro at some point. I think him and Bolles become the Pro Bowlers out of the bunch.

Also, the McKenzie pick, while I am not trilled with it, I get it...the Broncos have need a return man for a LONG time. I believe the philosophy is to give Siemien a shorter field to play with. I am in Georgia, and have watched several UGA games, and McKenzie always showed up with a big play.

You have to look at what the Broncos did in this draft. It is interesting. They got Carlos Henderson who scored a touchdown every 5th time he touched the ball. Mckenzie scored a touchdown every 7th time he touched the football. And, D. Henderson scored a TD in 35 straight games.

The asterick goes to Langley...obviously he has all of the potential in the world...it is going to be interesting to see him develop. He also could be the second coming of Willie Middlebrooks, but the good thing about that is Willie played rather well on special teams.
Counselor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
^^^I think this is about right. My favorite pick was Walker, however. He not only fills a void left by Malik Jackson, but he seems like a great leader for the future. I think he becomes an All-Pro at some point. I think him and Bolles become the Pro Bowlers out of the bunch.

Also, the McKenzie pick, while I am not trilled with it, I get it...the Broncos have need a return man for a LONG time. I believe the philosophy is to give Siemien a shorter field to play with. I am in Georgia, and have watched several UGA games, and McKenzie always showed up with a big play.

You have to look at what the Broncos did in this draft. It is interesting. They got Carlos Henderson who scored a touchdown every 5th time he touched the ball. Mckenzie scored a touchdown every 7th time he touched the football. And, D. Henderson scored a TD in 35 straight games.

The asterick goes to Langley...obviously he has all of the potential in the world...it is going to be interesting to see him develop. He also could be the second coming of Willie Middlebrooks, but the good thing about that is Willie played rather well on special teams.

Willie was also a first round pick. Langley was 101. A little more room for error there.

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counselor wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:

Willie was also a first round pick. Langley was 101. A little more room for error there.

True.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garret Bolles- (C+) There's no doubt we needed help at LT, but it just goes back to the "how do you value the draft" question. I think Bolles does some things well, but there are parts of his game that concern me. I think the team is expecting him to contribute immediately, which I don't personally see happening.

Demarcus Walker- (B+) I like Walker and I think he'll be a productive player for us if he's used correctly. I think there may have been slightly better value on the board (Kamara, Cunningham, Dawkins, Melifonwu, Moton) but I can see the logic behind the pick since the guy is really good at getting to the passer.

Carlos Henderson- (B-) It certainly addresses a need, but I feel like it was a little bit of an overdraft, and a guy who doesn't have a grasp on a playbook is always a worry. I think people are overly enthusiastic about what he'll bring to this team immediately. That being said, he's electric with the ball in his hands and takes on contact well. I think in time he'll be a valuable asset if used right.

Brendan Langley- (C) I see the logic in the pick, but the player was overdrafted. There was a significant amount of CB depth, and I personally think Elway reached for a project he could have taken in Round 4. No, I don't know for certain, but I feel pretty confident that Langley would have been around awhile. The benefit is that he doesn't have to play immediately, and he's got the measurables and skills you want, but he needs a lot of work.

Two trades- (A+)- You need to consider the trades we made as part of the overall draft and they were both hits. We trade away a guy who was a borderline roster player and a pick for an early 4th (likely) next year, and move up 70 something spots for dropping back 19 or so. Easy win in my book.

Jake Butt (A+)- Totally, speculative pick, but if Butt is healthy, he is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best TE prospect in the class, and a likely late 1st-early 2nd type of player. I couldn't love the pick any more.

Isaiah McKenzie (D)- Just an awful pick, IMO. Not only was the trade for him wholly unnecessary, but I don't see where he contributes to the team. He's insanely small. He's not Darren Sproles. I don't really know where he fits on this team, but IMO he was just a bad pick. There were some solid players on the board who I think could have helped us- Davon Godchaux, Danny Isadora, TJ Logan, Nate Gerry, Elijah McGuire, Bucky Hodges- so I just think this was a bit of a waste in the name of speed.

DeAngelo Henderson (B)- A lot to like here, but I am still tempering my enthusiasm a bit. Henderson played for Brock Olivo though, which I think is a good thing. Even if he profiles as a rotational back, I think that helps. He doesn't solve our RB problem, IMO, so I'm hopeful he can stick as a backup.

Chad Kelly- (A++++)- Smartest pick of the draft behind Jake Butt. Kelly is arguably the most talented QB in this draft. Big arm, great pocket mobility, great college performance. The obvious issue is that he is a total and complete basketcase. Like, he's a total loony toon with things he's said and done. If this humbles him and keeps his head on straight, not only does he have backup ability, but I think he actually has starting ability (although I don't know if it will be here). The perfect type of pick to gamble on with #253.

Overall, I'm giving the draft a C. Some potentially solid late round value, mixed with some early round questions. This has really been standard with most of Elway's drafts, if we're being honest.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These draft grades are great for a bit of discussion and speculation - but bears no relationship to how good or bad the draft actually is.

People praised the Chargers for taking Lamp and Feeney - and while both might turn out to be pro-bowlers, both could also turn out to be busts or journeymen.

As others have said - drafts are graded 2/3 years down the line

So - my draft grades are as follows -

1 31(31) B. Roby CB - B+
top notch 3rd CB and the potential to be the Broncos long-term starter in the No-Fly-Zone when Talib goes.
2 24(56) C. Latimer WR - E
Waste of space as a WR - solid ST guy - easily replaced
3 31(95) M. Schofield OT - C
Decent back-up along the OL
5 16(156) L. Barrow OLB -
who
6 31(207) M. Paradis C - A
Top notch center
7 27(242) C. Nelson OLB - C+
Decent back-up who is continuing to develop

Overall - two starters and two decent back-ups - B

1 23 Shane Ray OLB - A
Potential pro-bowler
2 27 (59) Ty Sambrailo OL - D
Wll be given one more chance to prove he can do something
3 28 (92) Jeff Heuerman TE - D
Injuries and poor play means he has a way to go to compete
4 34 (133) Max Garcia OL - C
Decent OL back-up
5 28 (164) Lorenzo Doss CB - C+
Back-up CB who has shown flashes - crunch season coming up
6 27 (203) Darius Kilgo DT - D
The Pats will find out if he is any good.
7 33 (250) Trevor Siemian QB - B
Started one season and potential starter next season - at worst a decent back-up
7 34 (251) Taurean Nixon DB - D
Still around the fringes but will need a big step up to get a roster spot this season
7 35 (252) Josh Furman DB -
who

Overall - A potential pro-bowler, a decent QB and a couple of good back-ups - B+

I will grade this picks this weekend in a couple of seasons. It would be great if this years draft produced 3 starters in two years time. As has been repeatedly referenced - the Broncos really do need to up the ante with the 2/3 round picks.

Last edited by jolly red giant on Mon May 01, 2017 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
thebestever6

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rueben Foster isnt there ar pick 20? What grade is the Bolles pick?

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
Cutler06

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counselor wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:

So Langley seems like a much better value ??? Confused
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave out a few snaps grades the other day but I've read quite a bit the last couple days, listened to some podcasts and watched some film.

My grades are based not only on the player we picked but at the value of that pick, the player's fit in our scheme (such as it is) and what need and critical that need is, that player fills.

1. Garret Bolles: I'm nearly certain this guy will bust. The upside is limited and red flags too many. Considering the other talent on the board at positions of need makes a bad pick an awful pick. Grade: F

2. DeMarcus Walker: Given that we are in dire need of a pass rusher, this pick makes worlds of sense. In all seriousness I don't mind this pick because I think Walker has some potential but it feels like a reach and a luxury pick.Grade: C+

3. Carlos Henderson: There's stuff to like and stuff to worry about with this one. He didn't run a real route tree and one scouting report I read said he frequently made wrong reads on option routes and times faster than he plays. Also played against inferior competition. High bust potential here. Grade: C-

4. Brendan Langley: Another reach, but that's Elway's specialty. High upside here and a lot to like, won't be thrown into the fire early, will learn the nuances from some of the league's best and can contribute on special teams. Grade: C

5. Jake Butt: My favorite pick of the draft and really the only pick I like. He has the ACL injury and that's a concern but is a classic chains-mover. Not the dynamic game-changer that some other prospects would be but we got excellent value, a complete player who received NFL-like coaching at Michigan. Grade: B+

6. Isiah McKenzie: I don't even know where to begin. Awful pick. Could have gotten a developmental player for the front seven but threw this pick away. I don't know what they were thinking. Grade: F

7. DeAngelo Henderson: There is some potential here, good speed and has a nice build, really a lot to like and won't be forced into a major position early on. Grade: B-

8. Chad Kelly: Physical talent is there and played against NFL-like defenses in the SEC. But he's apparently a basket-case and he is wildly inconsistent. I would hate this pick if we didn't have as strong of a lockerroom as we do. For the last pick in the draft we could have done worse. Grade: C

Overall this was the worst draft of Elway's tenure and I have the feeling will haunt us for a long time. This regime has whiffed too many times on offensive lineman, running backs and wide receivers and that's exactly what we took in this draft. And the players we took at those positions all have a litany of question marks. I think the only players we took who do not have a bust potential of greater than 50% are Butt and Walker.
Overall Grade: D+

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.

Last edited by AnAngryAmerican on Tue May 02, 2017 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
germ-x

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post mine later. I'm surprised how high many are on Walker, he was probably my least favorite pick of the draft. I like Walker, but he's an odd fit in the 3/4, IMO. Undersized and doesn't have the strength to control 2 gaps. I also question how he fairs kicking inside to rush in the NFL (which is the biggest reason he was selected, IMO) as again he's undersized and lacks strength. He's a finesse guy that wins on technique and study.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
I'll post mine later. I'm surprised how high many are on Walker, he was probably my least favorite pick of the draft. I like Walker, but he's an odd fit in the 3/4, IMO. Undersized and doesn't have the strength to control 2 gaps. I also question how he fairs kicking inside to rush in the NFL (which is the biggest reason he was selected, IMO) as again he's undersized and lacks strength. He's a finesse guy that wins on technique and study.

I agree at his current size that's 100 percent accurate.

But, at his bony frame, and age, his likelihood he gets bigger is really high. He's mega-big boned.

Once he's closer to 300+, I think we could have a very complete 3-4 DE. At 280, he'll get killed - which is why I think we still need a run 3-4 DE in FA for 2017 (Jaye Howard, anyone? See the FA thread).

The key for Walker will be to get bigger without losing his explosiveness. The desire and makeup seem to be through the roof, so I can see why ppl are optimistic (film junkie, dedicated, etc.). For 2017, he's pure pass-rush only when we rush 4. For 2018, if he bulks up and keeps his agility and learns better technique, I could see a big jump forward. But for 2017 I think he'd be used as pass down DE only.

Mine (and yes, who knows, we'll find 2 years+ from now, but hey, let's have fun looking back)...

Bolles C+ - to answer thebestever6's Q - if no elite talent like Foster falls to 20, then the gap isn't great enough to criticize LT by itself. The only issue is that if you think Ramczyk can do what Bolles does, and there are offers to move up all around, then it's more Bolles vs. Ramczyk (or Robinson) later with more Day 2 help added. In that case, I'd say a B. With Foster there, though, that's a 2nd way this pick can really backfire (Foster becomes an elite D QB on SF, when he could have been with us...and Todd Davis headed to UFA in 2018). Add in the fact that Elway actually tried to move up to get Bolles, only to have teams just not want to move that far back for what he was offering (meaning Elway's valuation was really out there), I have to give this a C+ (AKRNA's tout moves from me from C- to C+).

Walker B+- he's not going to help our run D at all this year. But he's already a pass-rush asset at 3-4 DE, and the issue with his run D is size - and at his age and big-boned frame, the potential to hit 300+, it's sky-high. Now, he has to keep his agility, so nothing's a lock, but I get the reasoning. I'm fine with a B+ here. The fact it's not a need pick actually reassures me more - Elway's hit more with BPA-types than need throughout his draft history.

Carlos Henderson C+ - if he's a true slot receiver like Randall Cobb and a KR/PR menace, then this is an A pick. If he's more like Tavon Austin (KR/PR where you gadget in plays for him), he's a D- pick for being picked at 3.82, in an insanely deep talent pool (because we do need a weapon on ST, but no way you can justify Day 2 pick on that alone). He'll need time to develop his WR abilities, too, so be patient. I'll split the diff and call this is a C+.

Brendan Langley B- - if it wasn't for DEN's ability to develop DB's, I'd rank this even lower. But there's that, so I'll give this a B-.

Jake Butt A- - If he wasn't hurt, Rd 2 pick for sure. But, this is his 2nd ACL tear, bigger risk that he just isn't as explosive, and given he wasn't a seam stretcher, there's a good reason why he fell into Day 3. Still, at 5.145, cannot deny the value. Love it. A- (only the 2nd ACL prevents an A+). Likely misses a fair amount of 2017 PT wise while he recovers, but he's got to learn a NFL playbook, not an issue IMO. Watch out in 2018 if his knee is sound.

Isiah McKenzie F - Henderson & Langley both are return guys, and Henderson's value is only bankable early as a returner. Man, sorry, as B67 said, in this insanely deep pool, we had other options who could have been 2017's version of Trevathan, Paradis, Jackson (Rd 5-6 gold). Easy F.

Deandre Henderson B+ - fine value. He's not great at pass protection, though, so he could find it hard to get on to the field. This might be more a pick for 2018, which is totally fine. RB's can get on the field sooner, but only if they can pass protect. Love the price, though. B+

Chad Kelly A+ - he seems like a real headcase. And he's got big injuries to come back from. And he's a terrible decision maker in NCAA. So there are issues to address. But man, he's Mr. Irrelevant. And he could be our backup of the future, cheaply. If our OL gets our QB's hurt, one more guy who knows the playbook. If Lynch & Siemian prove to be both capable, then next year, in 2018 (NO EARLIER), we have trade capital with Kelly as a backup. No way I said we should trade either Siemian/Lynch because you need 2 decent QB's to survive in today's NFL (look what happened to OAK when Carr went down). Kelly won't give us that now, but he could in 2018. For the price, insane value. A+

Trades Made A++++ - getting an extra 4th rd pick in 2018 from SF when we could not keep everyone...pure genius. A+++

Totalling it up, by the draft itself - C+. But that 2018 extra pick when we couldn't keep 10 guys, that has to make it a B-. The boom/bust potential could be an A- draft if 2-3 guys hit I've graded at B- or worse, but if all of them whiff, goes to a C/D territory. We'll see in 2 years!
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garett Bolles, OT, Utah (B-): Elway, in my opinion, felt that he had to take this guy because his mistakes in drafts past regarding the O-line finally caught up to him. This guy will start opening day by default (unless they get a vet like Dunlap), but I don't see Pro Bowls in his future.

DeMarcus Walker, DE, Florida St. (B): Good player, but doesn't quite fit the 3-4 as a 5-tech at this point. Should start out in pass rush situations.

Carlos Henderson, WR/KR, Louisiana Tech (B): I can see him being more of a KR than WR his first year.

Brendan Langley, CB, Lamar (C): Could have a future, but it was another standard Elway reach.

Jake Butt, TE, Michigan (B+): He may be ready to play by mid-season. The best pick Elway made this year.

Isaiah McKenzie, WR/KR, Georgia (F): There was no point to this pick. This is the crap that Elway needs to stop pulling.

De'Angelo Henderson, RB, Coastal Carolina (B): After looking at his highlights, I like this pick. However, with Anderson, Booker, and the possibility of Jamaal Charles joining the team, 2017 is looking like a practice squad year for him.

Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss (A): I hear that he is really talented, but he is extremely immature. He may be the most talented QB on the roster, so it was worth the risk in the seventh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: