You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5th round pick 169th overall: CB Treston Decoud

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: 5th round pick 169th overall: CB Treston Decoud Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/treston-decoud?id=2558100

Quote:
BOTTOM LINE Treston's size and physicality are two traits that some teams will covet on draft day, but there are some coverage limitations that push him towards a cover-2 defense. DeCoud lacks the trigger quickness to close separation windows that open against him, so a team may try and convert him into a free safety role where his coverage and tackling may be a fit as a backup.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when I think Rick is stringing together a decent draft comes this pick. WT actual F? If you could string together traits needed in our secondary, pick the opposite and you have this horrific proof that Rick Smith is absolutely blind to the position he played (quite poorly). Decoud is basically all that is WRONG about Kareem Jackson and Corey Moore, but magnified by all the talent in the deepest secondary class ever in which 29 of the first 107 were dbs and 56 total. Cordrea Tankersley with 9 ints, 4.40 speed at 6' 1" would be a bordlerline 1st rounder (see Dre Kirkpatrick) any other year, yet he was still around in the 3rd in this draft. It was so good, 6 teams took 3 or more d'backs this draft! Hell, we could have burned next years 3rd rounder to go get Desmond King in the 5th and give the staff the day off on Thursday and Friday next year. Corn Elder went in the 5th and has Pro Bowl potential with the Panthers. We got the one guy who has the same 6th-UDFA stamp ALL of our safeties have.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder

Last edited by Apollo Stallion on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where to start. He managed to basically flunk out of a backwater bayou high school in Louisiana which is like missing the swamp jumping off the Atchafalaya Bridge. I was all prepared for plenty of Bobby Boucher Waterboy, "deh ever catch dat gorilla that busted outa da zoo and punched you in da eye" cracks until I saw Covington Lousiana's claim to fame is being where they filmed Joe Dirt 2. You can't make this stuff up.

Dude ends up at famed football factory Chadron State in Nebraska but has to leave to take care of mama Chandricka who had breast cancer. Okay, even I can't make fun of that (and she made a full recovery), but I'm not going to bog down a good rant by banging those cry inducing piano notes ESPN trots out more frequently than American Ninja Warrior or Dancing with the Stars. Andrea Kramer used em all up on the D'Onta Freeman story. BTW - Decoud managed to flunk out of Nicholls State while back in Louisiana, a school that's rigorous admissions policy is to admit any who can get 4 or more letters correctly when spelling Mississippi.

So in the midst of a 2 win season at Oregon State, the dude slams into his own CB and is unconscious for over 6 minutes. The dude was so brain damaged he went to "practice" the next day without realizing it was Sunday and nobody was there. Same story on Tuesday when he sat in an empty classroom for a Monday class for about a half hour, not realizing his days were still off. In his defense, it was probably the most challenging class he took in Corvallis.

Then there's the penalties. The one school the guy did graduate from is the Kareem Jackson school of mind numbing free passes. Congrats kid - welcome to the NFL where 75% of your "tight coverage" is interference and where doing it doesn't just extend drives and give the opponent 15, it's a spot foul and when QBs know you are dumb enough to do it without turning your head, you'll be giving up 45 yards by answering 3rd down prayers. Heck, we ran Swearinger out of town mostly because of his stupid personal fouls and Eddie Pleasant cost us games with dumb selfish fouls and they are Deepack Chopra compared to this hot head.

Then there is the interceptions. As in NONE (to anyone but D2 Idaho State). As far as I can tell, this guy's entire career was this game and some overhyped performance against Cal's Chad Hansen, who you guessed it - went to Idaho St the year before. Congrats, if we ever play the Jets we know who to put on the guy, but I'm a bit more concerned about TY Hilton and Corey Davis than some unathletic WR with inflated stats he could cover.

Then there is the speed. 4.62. The only dback slower was some dude from St. Francis who must have gotten his invite to the combine direct from the Pope. There were 7 Defensive Lineman & Linebackers who were faster!! Congrats - we now have a CB/S who can be outrun by not only Qbs Mariota & Watson, but also Andrew Luck. Being slower than Clowney is no knock as 4.53 was absurd at 6' 6 270, but we're talking about a guy barely faster than 4 other college dlineman we've drafted in Mercilus 4.68, Brooks Reed 4.68, Cushing 4.72, and of course the most underappreciated Texan of all time, Connor Barwin and his 4.47.

Just when I thought it wasn't possible to employ a dback presenting more of an instant mismatch than Corey Moore's plodding self, Rick manages to draft a guy that combines Moore's horrific measurables, Kareem's horrific technique, and Eddie Pleasant's lack of self control. Can't wait for all the sob stories about him "overcoming adversity" which will come in handy because this guy will be flat out torched by any NFL WR in space and about 1/2 of the TE's.

But hey, he's tall and this might not be as stupid as us taking Antwaun Molden in 2008 over his Pro Bowler cousin Thomas Decoud in 08. On the bright side, Rick did draft Dom Barber in the 6th that year who was handed a starting gig the following year until realizing that guys that slow will get destroyed in the NFL. Tried it again a few years ago with Shiloh Keo. Glad to see we've figured this one out. On the bright side, the KJ Dillon and Lonnie Ballentine picks look like absolute steals now and Andre Hal.

Last edited by Apollo Stallion on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
canyon1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL SAID SIR... I was having such a good time that every pick I was on board with UNTIL Treston Decoud's name came up and I was instantly upset for how deep this draft was at DB we took the one guy that probably wont make it out of training camp due to the fact he is NOT on the NFL level. All i can do is hope the someone cuts a DB that can help us. I am curious as to what the Jets want for Calvin Pryor to be a hammer nothing more NOT a starter but someone that can compete with Pleasant in that role.
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Smith's annual WTF pick.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:

Yeah I dont get this one. Didnt really force turnovers at OSU and he appears to be slow. Only thing he has going for him is size. I wonder if they plan on moving him to safety because I dont think he will work out at CB.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

Yeah I dont get this one. Didnt really force turnovers at OSU and he appears to be slow. Only thing he has going for him is size. I wonder if they plan on moving him to safety because I dont think he will work out at CB.

Not a prayer at CB which I don't think is even a consideration. Problem is 4.62-4.7 is too slow for a safety in this league too, especially since he's not an in the box strong safety type, but rather a centerfield FS type since his backpedal is so bad and I'm fearful counting on recognition skills at all. It's not JUST that his long speed is that bad, he repeatedly showed poor closing speed which is required of a safety, especially one having to catch the guys who run past Kareem (the most ridiculous case of playing speed not matching timed speed I've ever seen). Dude's a decent tackler and should be a decent special teams contributor, but history has shown time and time again that these slow special teams oriented picks backfire as invariably they end up getting PT at safety and get destroyed. I feel bad ripping this kid before he even suits up, and he may have worked for a Seattle or Cover 2 type team, but this is just another case of Rick Smith being clueless with the position and it's importance in the modern NFL.

Fact is as good as this defense has been (with Bouye & Demps), we ARE NOT when we play against playoff caliber teams largely because they have multi-pronged attacks that find the weak link and exploit it. We gave up 200 friggin RECEIVING yards to the Raiders running backs when David Carr was healthy (exposing McKinney embarassingly awful coverage ability). Adam Theilen rocked us for 127 yards and Td when the Vikings throttled us. Rodgers just targeted Jordy Nelson in crunch time to the tune of 10/118 because our safeties were useless doubling him despite them having no running game to worry about. Rishard friggin Matthews put up 9/114 on us vs. Titans with Matt Cassel throwing - this year it's Mariota & Corey Davis. I will never understand letting Bouye walk, but letting him and Demps both walk and adding nothing but this Keo/Barber special teamer WILL haunt us.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: