Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 5, Pick 184 -- Nate Gerry -- LB, Nebraska
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hockey5djh


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 20701
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedRider wrote:
4 year starter at Nebraska; his first was at WLB.

He is built like a brick house and is incredibly strong. But to be a WLB rather than a safety, he might need to beef up even more.He is fast in a straight line. His tackling radius is great. If a ball carrier is in front of him he squares up and delivers a blow. If they are not, he still makes great tackles, due to his rugby tackling training. I don't know what the NFL bio is talking about, he went most of last year without having a single broken tackle, iirc. Is a playmaker when the ball is in the air as he had the most int's in cfb over the last four years (or close to it, iirc, I don't care enough to fact check). Plays aggressively and with heart.

He has three issues that have held him back. First, he's been ejected from multiple college games due to the new targeting rule. Most of the have been pure BS. Glad the NFL won't eject him. Second, his grades have kept him out of some games, most recently the 2017 bowl game. Again, glad the NFL won't keep him out of games for this. Third, he has stiff hips. He has a hard time changing directions. (This was a knock on him as a safety, I don't know if he will be any worse off than the majority of WLB's).


Overall, I think he is an absolute steal with every tool in the toolbox. Just give him a year to learn your system and the WLB position.. and don't put him out in coverage with an extremely shifty slot receiver and you're golden.


Thanks for stopping in. Love this as a developmental pick as his knocks at safety are eliminated when you move him to LB. Lets hope he sticks because our LB corps is weak behind our starters.
_________________

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milksteak


Joined: 22 Apr 2011
Posts: 520
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
RedRider wrote:
4 year starter at Nebraska; his first was at WLB.

He is built like a brick house and is incredibly strong. But to be a WLB rather than a safety, he might need to beef up even more.He is fast in a straight line. His tackling radius is great. If a ball carrier is in front of him he squares up and delivers a blow. If they are not, he still makes great tackles, due to his rugby tackling training. I don't know what the NFL bio is talking about, he went most of last year without having a single broken tackle, iirc. Is a playmaker when the ball is in the air as he had the most int's in cfb over the last four years (or close to it, iirc, I don't care enough to fact check). Plays aggressively and with heart.

He has three issues that have held him back. First, he's been ejected from multiple college games due to the new targeting rule. Most of the have been pure BS. Glad the NFL won't eject him. Second, his grades have kept him out of some games, most recently the 2017 bowl game. Again, glad the NFL won't keep him out of games for this. Third, he has stiff hips. He has a hard time changing directions. (This was a knock on him as a safety, I don't know if he will be any worse off than the majority of WLB's).


Overall, I think he is an absolute steal with every tool in the toolbox. Just give him a year to learn your system and the WLB position.. and don't put him out in coverage with an extremely shifty slot receiver and you're golden.


Thanks for stopping in. Love this as a developmental pick as his knocks at safety are eliminated when you move him to LB. Lets hope he sticks because our LB corps is weak behind our starters.


If it does work out he could be our starting Will since we only go 3 lb's maybe 30 percent of snaps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 61105
Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there not a LB that we could have drafted who would more readily translate to playing LB in the NFL? I'm not bashing Gerry, I'm fine with the pick especially in the 5th, but just curious that we would rather convert a safety than draft a linebacker.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jlash


Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 2105
Location: NJ
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Was there not a LB that we could have drafted who would more readily translate to playing LB in the NFL? I'm not bashing Gerry, I'm fine with the pick especially in the 5th, but just curious that we would rather convert a safety than draft a linebacker.



The only off the ball LB drafted after him that I would've rather had would've been Elijah Lee from Kansas State. Other than that the cupboard was pretty bare.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheRealMcCoy


Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 15129
Location: Inland Empire
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
Phire wrote:
Was there not a LB that we could have drafted who would more readily translate to playing LB in the NFL? I'm not bashing Gerry, I'm fine with the pick especially in the 5th, but just curious that we would rather convert a safety than draft a linebacker.



The only off the ball LB drafted after him that I would've rather had would've been Elijah Lee from Kansas State. Other than that the cupboard was pretty bare.

I would've rather had Dylan Cole too. He went undrafted though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EaglesPeteC


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 6190
Location: Raleigh, NC
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A coverted S playing WIL makes sense given how little Schwartz wants to play 3 LB's. He's essentially playing a box S instead of another LB. Gerry is kind of both.
_________________

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group