Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steeler Selections - Media Pre-Draft Rankings - Analysis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Steeler Selections - Media Pre-Draft Rankings - Analysis Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I've done this a couple times in the past, or something similar, only to receive feedback posts like "This is stupid, who cares." or "Their value is where they were picked, it doesn't matter what the media thinks." , etc. I agree -- this is for entertainment/info purposes only.

FEEL FREE TO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT WHERE OUR NEW ROOKIES WERE RANKED ON SOME WELL-KNOWN 'BIG-BOARDS'.

OK, so with that out of the way, anyone left, who has any curiosity as to where our rookies ranked out on several 'Big Boards', See below. I only looked at a few--CBS, NFL, DraftTek, etc.--just to get an idea as to how close Colbert/Tomlin were to where the Media felt they should have been drafted, in regards to (IRT) value at point selected in the draft.

Overall, I think the Media were pretty close to what NFL GMs/FOs were thinking IRT value --and yes, that is how this should be viewed, IMO, not the other way around. I think the media were a bit 'shy' or 'behind the power curve' IRT late risers in the draft. It's clear that TJ Watt and Keion Adams were moving up boards the last week. Watt was projected to be selected 22nd by both Mayock and Casserly, 21st by Charlie Campbell, 28th by Walter Cherepinsky, 29th by Peter Schrager (who also had James Conner being selected 118th).

So...

- Blue is 'Within' media expected range
- Pink is just 'Slightly Below' media expected range
- Red is 'Egregiously Below' expected range

And I think "Shutdown Corner - Yahoo.com" got it right with their comment on Conner:

Quote:
"Good luck saying a bad word about Conner. Oh, maybe he went a tad higher than expected. Perhaps his lateral quickness is sub-par by NFL standards. But this is a power runner who instantly will be a star playing his NFL games in the college stadium in which he became a hero for his on-field production and beating cancer off it. Conner wants to do anything he can to help a team win; he volunteered for special teams duty, moonlighted as a defensive end and will gladly accept a No. 2 role to Le'Veon Bell. A feel-good pick but also a good pick. Grade: B+"

And what PFF said towards the end of the college season last year:

Quote:
" Keion Adams, OLB, Western Michigan Broncos

College football is always littered with undersized, productive pass-rushers, and Adams fits the bill this season. He looks even smaller than his listed 6-3, 230-pounds, but his No. 8 overall grade of 86.2 among outside linebackers (84.0 as pass rusher, 85.6 versus the run) has gotten our attention. Hes dipped under offensive tackles to create pressure, while also using his hands to counter and get inside, and those skills have led to his strong play both as a pass-rusher and in the run game. Hes done a nice job of countering oversetting offensive tackles, a necessary trait for a successful NFL pass-rusher.

Like many undersized rushers around college, Adams may need to adjust his home on the way to the NFL, perhaps transitioning to more of a linebacker role, but players who know how to shed blocks and disrupt plays usually find a home."

1. James Conner - A couple of things going on here. First, Conner would likely easily been a 2nd/3rd Rd value back had he been able to declare/be selected prior to the Cancer; but the fact he recovered from 12 Chemo treatments AND the injury, and still had a 1000 yd, 16 TD season, made him a mid-Rd pick. The scare is if it comes back, which likely dropped him. And 2nd, we HAD to draft him; talk about a 'media sweetheart'--Pitt player, recovers from cancer, gets to stay home in Pitt. This was a 'for the media/feel-good' pick. So to ensure WE got him, we had to draft him a round early.

2. Colin Holba Heres my analysis. They liked him, obviously, and felt it was required to spend a draft pick to secure his services. So, why a 6th and not a 7th? Well, we are drafting at the end of each round. If another team has the same thought, says to themselves, well take Holba with our 7th Rd pick? Were screwed then, because were picking at the end of the 7th. Point being, draft him with the 6th, and be done, then concentrate on BPA in 7th, which initially, I did not believe, but then after doing some research and finding on multiple sites that Keion Adams was fast rising up draft boards, he was likely already on the phone with a few teams about signing on as an UDFA; he was likely a PFA. I have no evidence or proof of this; this is all just conjecture.

OK, Im done. What do you all think? Ill hit up the Draft Grade post as well, but Id say we were around a B-. I still do not believe LS was worth a pick, as a fan, even though I think I understand why, doesnt mean I have to like it. Ill comment more later.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: