Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

6th rd; 215th picks- Brad Kaaya, QB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: 6th rd; 215th picks- Brad Kaaya, QB Reply with quote

Brad Kaaya, QB 6'4"215lbs

Quote:
STRENGTHS Three-year starter and pro-style pocket passer. Experienced and comfortable under center and in play-action offense. Has shown an ability to read the entire field when asked. Gets through progressions fairly quickly. Expedites release and throws to an area in front of the route when blitz is closing in. Always looking to throw past sticks on third down. Understands his arm limitations and rarely takes unnecessary chances throwing into space. Rhythm passer comfortable working in timing-based passing attack. Schooled on mechanics of the position since he was eight years old. Uses well-timed climbs and slides to maneuver away from pressure. Footwork is consistent and well-rehearsed. Ball stays tucked under his ear until he cuts it loose with relatively quick wrist flick. Throws on balance with easy delivery. Delivers feathery soft deep ball with good trajectory and ability to drop the nose of the ball into a bucket. Gets ball out early on field-side throws to mitigate lack of velocity.

Quote:
WEAKNESSES Accuracy and ball placement can be sketchy. Will rush throws and "work early" rather than throw with velocity into tight windows. Front side opens early, causing passes to sail. Consistently poor accuracy on intermediate work. Completed just 38 percent of his passes between 11-20 yards in 2016. Underthrows deep balls and fails to consistently hit crossers and slants in stride. Arm strength lags behind NFL norm. Throws hang in air or nose-dive prematurely when throwing field side. Rigid, mechanical approach as passer. Lacks arm talent and improvisational skills to create magic with off-balance throws on the move. Fails to see and exploit anticipatory throws between linebackers and safeties. Lacks mobility outside the pocket and will give into the pressure -- at times taking the sack rather than getting rid of the ball.

Sig by El Ramster
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/mikerothstein/status/858431946363355136

Quote:
Brad Kaaya's mom, Angela Means Kaaya, played Felicia in the classic movie Friday -- inspiring the famous line

Laughing

Sig by El Ramster
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's pretty much ideal as a backup QB. Has a ton of talent, should have stayed in school. Give him a few years under Stafford, Caldwell, and Cooter and he could be really good.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Calvin-Stafford

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally I like backups to have a similar profile to the starters a la Wilson and Boykin in Seattle, but Kaaya is a solid pick this late. Can probably hold down the backup spot long-term.
Lions017

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Kaaya a lot more than Rudock. It'll be interesting to see what happens - he's definitely a guy that I think is worth developing, so I can't see him being put on the practice squad where he might be picked up by another team.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
I like Kaaya a lot more than Rudock. It'll be interesting to see what happens - he's definitely a guy that I think is worth developing, so I can't see him being put on the practice squad where he might be picked up by another team.

Rudock was a safe pick that was good enough to kick out Orlovsky. For that, he did his job well. But his ceiling is low and he has a career waiting for him outside of football. I don't see him as a second contract QB. Bringing in a guy like Kaaya who needs work, but can sit behind Stafford and learn & at the very worse gives us a backup QB or best case scenario either supplants Stafford down the road or might be able to move in a trade. The value was there at that stage in the draft.

Sig by El Ramster
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, I think my favorite pick of this draft Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: