Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cody Latimer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FG21_PW52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Cody Latimer Reply with quote

Hey guys, just a 49er fan who was a fan of Latimer's coming out of Idiana, wondering what is the deal with this guy? High pick, he's got all of the tools and physical attributes, so where's the production? Does he just suck? Has he not been given a fair shake? Just curious, because i thought he was going to be really good.

Now? Seriously?

He was always the GOAT and its not even particularly close.

lulz.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was over drafted at the time. His speed is long stride more-so than wiggle, so you expect him to get open deep, but he cant because he isn't quick off the snap and doesn't understand any nuance in running routes what-so-ever. He should have an excellent punch to break free since he isn't scared of contact, but doesn't seem to ever get his hands on the CB quickly enough.

He reportedly has a poor work ethic and tons of issues remembering plays. At this point, I have far higher hopes for Jordan Taylor, who is a better athlete with better game speed, far better hands and a monumentally better football IQ. If Taylor can channel some of Latimers physicality, he might become a decent #2WR.

But back to Latimer, I expect him to be cut in TC. Doesn't deserve a free spot based on his draft position and isn't better than DT, Sanders, Taylor and arguable Fowler, plus we may draft a WR.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, he is a better than average special teams guy.
The Helicopter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:

Our special teams was atrocious last year
"I don't think he was happy with the cologne I was wearing. I was wearing a lot of it and I guess he wasn't happy with it. I was on him a lot at the end of the game so everybody doesn't like my smell."
-Von Miller
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he was necessarily overdrafted, but he was a bad fit for an offense with Manning. He struggled to get on the same page with Peyton early on and apparently had trouble with the complexity of the offense. Then they went and signed Emmanuel Sanders so Latimer got more and more buried on the depth chart. I think it's part of a work ethic thing, and then he just got passed over.

He is an excellent ST gunner though

Thanks, Tzimisce
germ-x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had high hopes for Latimer and loved the pick. In college he had great hands, could go up and get the ball, and then had 4.44 speed at 6'2" 215. I thought he'd be a great addition as a downfield threat.

There have been multiple reports that he has terrible work ethic. I remember one report that Rod Smith came to talk to the WRs and Latimer sat in the back on his cell phone the whole time and that Smith pulled him to the side after and gave him a talk about being a professional.

I think Latimer is a guy with the talent to be a good pro, but a guy who doesn't put in the work.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there was a person on this forum who didn't love the pick when it was made. He appeared to have it all. It hasn't worked out and in any situation like this there is no one direct reason. A lot went wrong and there are many to blame.

But, hey, he is a real force on special teams and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know football.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helicopter wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:

Our special teams was atrocious last year

Probably because Brewer wasn't the long snapper. Actually, I still miss Lonnie Paxton.
tbirds84

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
I don't think he was necessarily overdrafted, but he was a bad fit for an offense with Manning. He struggled to get on the same page with Peyton early on and apparently had trouble with the complexity of the offense. Then they went and signed Emmanuel Sanders so Latimer got more and more buried on the depth chart. I think it's part of a work ethic thing, and then he just got passed over.

He is an excellent ST gunner though

Sanders was a Bronco before Latimer was a Bronco. They were both brought in for the 2014 season. WR was a need at the time with the departure of Decker and the decline/injury of Welker. Heading into the 2014 season, Latimer had his work cut out for him with DT, Sanders, and Welker in front of him. I believe the vision the front office had was DT and Latimer as the outside receivers, and Sanders in the slot. However, Sanders has proven time and time again with us that he can be an excellent outside receiver, and Latimer has proven to be an absolute waste of a pick. Especially when you look at the WRs taken shortly after him - Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry. Donte Moncrief and John Brown were taken in the third round, and I'd much rather all 4 of those guys than Latimer.

After his rookie year, Latimer has no excuse to not beat out guys like Fowler, Norwood, and Taylor for playing time. Latimer is one of my least favorite Broncos and I hope he doesn't make the squad this year. I'll give him credit, he is a great special teams player as a gunner, but he was drafted to score touchdowns not tackle people.

Our track record of drafting second round picks has been disastrous since 2012, with the lone exception being Wolfe. I really hope that trend ends this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: