Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

kurgan 2017 mock draft v. 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurgan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: kurgan 2017 mock draft v. 4 Reply with quote

1.30—David Njoku, TE Miami(FL) 6’4” 246
Someone has to fall, and the Steelers are great and staying put and taking elite talent. Like DeCastro when he fell, Njoku falls to us here and comes in and becomes a game breaker right away. The weapon that Ben wants, matchup nightmare immediately, can be put into packages with Green and Outlaw. He needs to be taught how to produce on an elite level. He can be the real difference maker in this offense and will take pressure off of Ben.
2.62—Cordrea Tankersley, CB Clemson 6’1” 199
Will all of the fast rising corners, Tank will fall down the charts and be available here. He is a big, physical outside corner. He does have some PI issues and technique flaws, but the kid can play. He can run, cover and hit, and is a willing and able tackler. A longer term project ala Burns, but could be ready by the end of the year to step in and play.
3.94—Eddie Jackson, FS Alabama 6’0” 201
True free safety that the Steelers need to make the defense work, and cover for the loss of Timmons. VWill is great as a two down linebacker, but on passing downs, he is a liability. So, enter EJax. He comes in, Davis slides down into the box/slot area, and Mitchell covers the TE. Jackson plays the centerfield. Long term All-Pro safety potential. Totally remakes the secondary in two years.
3.105—Trey Hendrickson, DE/OLB FAU 6’4” 266
Waited a bit late to take the edge player, but this guy is more of an elephant player than a pure pass rusher. He has the ability to bend the edge and get to the QB, but is also more of a run stuffer and solid edge defender. Not the flashy sack-master of Dupree and some of the other guys, but a solid player that can come in and play the solid non-drop LB while Dupree transitions into the dropper/blitzer. Can also be the DE in a nickel/dime look.
4.135—Jarrod Evans, QB Va Tech 6’3” 233
A little early for him here, but we would have to spend a 4th to get him. Big, strong, mobile, exciting. Can throw a mile and hard to bring down. Needs to get in the playbook early and then live with Ben and the WR to learn all he can. Coached to be a one throw and go QB, has the potential to be a gamechanger if coached up.
5.173—Dylan Cole, OLB Missouri State 6’1” 240
A pure pass rusher from a small conference. One key quality that can translate on the next level… he can get after the passer. Bar none. Will not wow with tons of moves and spins, will not have 100 tackles. A 3rd down, pin the ears back, and go git’er.
6.213—Ryan Switzer, WR UNC 5’8” 181
One of my draft guilty pleasures. I know this guy will never be drafted by us. He does not fit our mold of players that we look for. We have Eli and Ayers that play his spot. He is just an old-time grinder receiver. A returner that can go as well, I just love watching him play. He catches everything.
7.248—Chris Carson, RB Oklahoma St. 6’0” 218
The depth of the running back class pushes this guy down to this level. He is a great runner with above average vision, and runs like Bell. He is patient and waits for blocks and then explodes through the hole. A high level JUCO kid, he is sleeper here that can come in and compete.

armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: kurgan 2017 mock draft v. 4 Reply with quote

kurgan wrote:
Someone has to fall, and the Steelers are great and staying put and taking elite talent. Like DeCastro when he fell, Njoku falls to us here and comes in and becomes a game breaker right away. The weapon that Ben wants, matchup nightmare immediately, can be put into packages with Green and Outlaw. He needs to be taught how to produce on an elite level. He can be the real difference maker in this offense and will take pressure off of Ben.
Will all of the fast rising corners, Tank will fall down the charts and be available here. He is a big, physical outside corner. He does have some PI issues and technique flaws, but the kid can play. He can run, cover and hit, and is a willing and able tackler. A longer term project ala Burns, but could be ready by the end of the year to step in and play.
True free safety that the Steelers need to make the defense work, and cover for the loss of Timmons. VWill is great as a two down linebacker, but on passing downs, he is a liability. So, enter EJax. He comes in, Davis slides down into the box/slot area, and Mitchell covers the TE. Jackson plays the centerfield. Long term All-Pro safety potential. Totally remakes the secondary in two years.
Waited a bit late to take the edge player, but this guy is more of an elephant player than a pure pass rusher. He has the ability to bend the edge and get to the QB, but is also more of a run stuffer and solid edge defender. Not the flashy sack-master of Dupree and some of the other guys, but a solid player that can come in and play the solid non-drop LB while Dupree transitions into the dropper/blitzer. Can also be the DE in a nickel/dime look.
A little early for him here, but we would have to spend a 4th to get him. Big, strong, mobile, exciting. Can throw a mile and hard to bring down. Needs to get in the playbook early and then live with Ben and the WR to learn all he can. Coached to be a one throw and go QB, has the potential to be a gamechanger if coached up.
A pure pass rusher from a small conference. One key quality that can translate on the next level… he can get after the passer. Bar none. Will not wow with tons of moves and spins, will not have 100 tackles. A 3rd down, pin the ears back, and go git’er.
One of my draft guilty pleasures. I know this guy will never be drafted by us. He does not fit our mold of players that we look for. We have Eli and Ayers that play his spot. He is just an old-time grinder receiver. A returner that can go as well, I just love watching him play. He catches everything.
The depth of the running back class pushes this guy down to this level. He is a great runner with above average vision, and runs like Bell. He is patient and waits for blocks and then explodes through the hole. A high level JUCO kid, he is sleeper here that can come in and compete.

Njoku could be a great selection. I think Green will retire after the draft. He still hasn't been cleared since his last injury.

Tankersley worries me. Has amazing skills but seems uninterested in tackling. Similar in coverage to Burns. I could like this pick.

Like both 3rd rounders.

Way too early for Evans. One year of production and struggles seeing the blitz and will take his eyes off his receivers. Pass.

Cole is an ILB. He does fit the profile of what the Steelers like in ILBs. Very explosive, fast, and a big hitter. Love it as an ILB.

Clone of Rogers and Ayers. Pass due to depth of Steelers WR core.

Nice value in Carson.

I give it a B.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely can live with Njoku. He's not just one of the best tight ends; he's easily in top 3 for best deep-threat receivers. Add his physicality too, jeez. You could move him around, with or without Ladarius Green anyway.

Tankersley- Not sure how I feel about him. Athletically and physicality both are there but he doesn't strike me as an intelligent player. I don't know how he would play in the slot.

P.S. Argumentative, we could move Cockrell to the slot, I do think he will be fine. In that case, we will see then.

Eddie Jackson- I don't think if he would be an all-pro, let alone being a long-term player. Montae Nicholson, on another hand, does have potentials to be an all-pro. Watch out for him, I think the Steelers are high on him and he's being vastly underrated right now.

NOTE: If Cockrell does move to the slot, does or doesn't this fix the coverage on tight ends? In a hybrid defense, in a sense, it would be like that. For the dimes, it would be better to have a cornerback for that, no? I'm just spitballing.

Like Trey Hendrickson, wouldn't complain. Think he would be what we need anyway, I'd much rather have three talented safeties in general over the three linebackers (think rotations).

CONTRADICTION: I realize how this does infer with the comment above, I take it back lol

Jarrod Evans- Don't know how I would feel about him. Like Joshua Dobbs much better than him.

Dylan Cole- doesn't know much about him.

Ryan Switzer- eh lol. Feel like we have a surplus of those kinds of receivers right now.

Chris Carson- doesn't know much about him.

B+ I think you did hit the positional needs just where they should.

P.S. I get the feeling we will draft other 3-4 defensive end, don't like it.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: kurgan 2017 mock draft v. 4 Reply with quote

kurgan wrote:

Njoku is an exciting player. With Green's tenure with the team quite tenuous, (say that 5 times fast) it would be nice to have a guy like that ready to step in as a #1 TE receiving threat. Not sure about his blocking.

Tankersley, I like pretty well. Would be a solid #2 pick. My only concern is that he ran slow iirc.

Jackson, I like, but with the broken leg, I'd probably rather get him later than #94 but he'd be a solid add to the safety position.

Still don't have a strong opinion about Hendrickson. Haven't watched enough of him. Waiting this long to get a OLB would be a major flaw in this draft imo unless we got lucky with someone dropping.

Evans seems OK. Not in favor of QB but if we're going to take a mid round chance on a guy, he's not bad.

Don't know Cole at all. Switzer, as you said, is probably redundant. Never heard of Carson.

Overall, decent. Maybe a B, a B+ if Hendrickson can be a legit pass rusher.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: