You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official Baylor Bears Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landed 2 new commits tonight.

3* Terrel Bernard, LB (flip from Houston)
3* Ashton Logan, S

KD Nixon announces in an hour too. Could be a huge night.
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed out on KD Nixon but oh well. Our class as of now:

3* RJ Sneed, WR
3* Xavier Newman, OL/C
3* Trestan Ebner, WR
3* Harrison Hand, CB
3* James Lynch, DT
3* Timarcus Davis, CB
3* Gavin Holmes, WR
3* Jalen Pitre, ATH
3* Bryson Jackson, OLB
3* Terrel Bernard, LB
3* Abram Smith, RB
3* Ashton Logan, S
3* Eleasah Anderson, OL
3* Trevon Lewis, S
3* Charlie Brewer, QB
3* Jason Moore, OL
3* Cole Maxwell, DL
3* Khalil Keith, OL
3* Henry Klinge, OL
2* Rob Saulin, TE/DL

Based off of 247s numbers, we're have the 57th best class in the nation, and we still have 12-14 more guys to add.

I think we'll still add:

1 QB
1 RB
1 WR:
1 TE
2 DL
1 CB

My top target overall would Charleston Rambo. Very low chance he flips, but some say he really is considering us as an option.

I think we'll end up somewhere between the 35th and 40th best class on 247.

edit: added 6 new commits from yesterday - we currently have the 39th best class on Rivals and the 44th best class on 247. Pretty amazing and we still have 5 or so spots to fill.
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an unbelievable job by Rhule and his staff. Less than 2 months and they pulled in a consensus top 40 class. Ranked #39 on 247 composite and #30 on 247. Here's what we pulled in - and they are all 3* on 247 composite except 1, but I believe a few are 4* on just 247.

247Sports: #30
Rivals: #34
Scout: #36
ESPN: #39

3* OL Xavier Newman
3* WR Gavin Holmes
3* WR R.J. Sneed
3* WR Trestan Ebner (TCU flip)
3* RB Johnathan Lovett
3* CB Harrison Hand
3* OLB DeMarco Artis (FSU flip)
3* CB Timarcus Davis (UH flip)
3* DT James Lynch (USC flip)
3* DE Justin Harris
3* TE/DE BJ Thompson
3* QB Charlie Brewer (SMU flip)
3* OLB Bryson Jackson
3* RB Abram Smith
3* S Jalen Pitre
3* OLB Terrel Bernard (UH flip)
3* S Trevon Lewis
3* OT Eleasah Anderson
3* LB Ashton Logan
3* OT Khalil Keith
3* OG Jason Moore
3* DL Cole Maxwell
3* OG Henry Klinge III
3* TE Tyler Henderson (OkSt flip)
3* DE Chidi Ogbonnaya (UH flip)
3* DE Rob Saulin
2* OL Ryan Miller

All this with 1 commit, no lists, and less than 60 days to go out and find recruits - with nothing. And Rhule got a top 40 class with flips from schools such as FSU, OkSt, TCU, and USC.

I can't wait to see what Rhule does with a year to recruit for the 2018 class. So ecstatic not only to have a great coach and recruiter, but an even better person leading this program and turning it around to the standard they should be.

Last edited by Devin Kurant on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got our first two 2018 commits tonight:

3* OL Jackson Kimble
3* WR/ATH (Scout 300) Joshua Fleeks
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very solid start to '18 with 4 commits, all 3* on 247:

3* ATH Joshua Fleeks
3* OT Jackson Kimble
3* OT Ylijaah Hall
3* OT Casey Phillips

I love that we are focusing early on building the trenches. I have a good feeling that we'll land 3* OL Cameron Wire as well, who was a HS teammate of Justin Harris.

4* WR Tommy Bush is the stud who I want, that I also think we have a very good chance at landing. I'm also feeling confident we'll land one of the 4* QB Tanner Mordecai and Jaylen Mayden - preferably Mayden.

In relation to practices, I watched some videos and this coaching staff is doing nothing but teaching these guys. It's all a gigantic learning process at the moment.

A cool note: Coach Rhule leave she number 1-9 open to the team's toughest players who earn it during spring and fall practices. No duplicates either. The team will vote after practices are over on who gets those numbers.

Early on I'd guess these guys get the numbers:

Zach Smith
K.J. Smith
Taylor Young
Grayland Arnold
Blake Lynch
Quan Jones
Kyle Boyd (walk on last year)
Tra'von Blanchard (once he is cleared from these BS accusations)
Terence Williams (though I'd love for him to keep his #22)
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practices have been running a few days - so I'll make my starter predictions with key reserves in red.

Going to go with 3 WR sets for now, but I anticipate us running a ton of tight end sets so I'll list two tight ends.

QB: Zach Smith - Anu Solomon

RB: Terence Williams - JaMycal Hasty - Abram Smith (Fr.)

WR: Devontre Stricklin - Denzel Mims - RJ Sneed (Fr.)
WR: Blake Lynch - Jared Atkinson
IR: Chris Platt - Gavin Holmes (Fr.)
TE: Jordan Feuerbacher - Quan Jones

LT: Patrick Lawrence - Tanner Thrift
LG: Josh Pelzel
C: Ryan Miller (Fr.) - Blake Blackmar - Sam Tecklenburg
RG: Blake Blackmar
RT: Mo Porter

LE: Greg Roberts - Xavier Jones
DT: Bravvion Roy - Ira Lewis
DT: Tyrone Hunt
RE: K.J. Smith - Jamie Jacobs

LB: Taylor Young
LB: Clay Johnston
LB: Lenoy Jones Jr. - Deonte Williams

CB: Grayland Arnold - Verkedric Vaughns
S: Travon Blanchard - Taion Sells
S: Henry Black - Davion Hall
CB: Jameson Houston - Raleigh Texada

We're going to have to have multiple freshman players this year, largely due to the thin offensive line we have. I think the following will play this year and I'll star next to them the factor they are to the team (* being minimal rotational contributor, ** being solid, every game contributor, *** being starter or major factor)

RB: Abram Smith*
C: Ryan Miller*
OG/C: Xavier Newman*
OT: Khalil Keith*
WR: RJ Sneed*
WR: Gavin Holmes**
CB: Harrison Hand*
S: Trevon Lewis*

Last edited by Devin Kurant on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we just got a new commit!

Hoping to find out who soon. I'm going to put my money on 3* WR Kalon Barnes.
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to the post above, the commit we landed was 3* Florida WR Tyquan Thornton.

The guy is an all-world track athlete who stands at 6'3, 165 pounds. His recruiting is going to blow up now and we'll have to fight to keep him, especially from Florida if they offer.

Some other guys who I think we are in on are Tommy Bush, Kalon Barnes, Bralen Taylor, Cameron Wire, Tanner Mordecai, Jaylen Mayden, Christian Morgan, and a new emerging possibility - DeMarvion Overshown.

Feel really confident on the first three and one of the QB. Not too sure on Wire and Morgan. And with a Bama offer among other top schools, Overshown is a long shot, but he's great friends with our DT Tyrone Hunt and I think we have a legit shot if he gets here on a visit.
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current unofficial depth chart from watching practices and 1st team reps vs. 2nd team reps.

Overall I'm optimistic that the offense will still put up nearly 40 or over 40 points a game. I'm excited for the run game and we have a ton of talented receivers led by an emerging superstar in Lynch imo. The QB may be the best part as Zach Smith is a stud. The offensive line however is a major concern at this point. Overall

The defense is what has me most excited. Of course Rhule is a defensive guy, but we are extremely talented on defense. With Rhule, Snow, Robinson, Siravo, and Brown, the sky is the limit. Would not be surprised to see us as one of the 3 best defensive teams in the Big 12 next season.

* means a freshman who has not made it to campus
red = expected redshirt

Quarterback
Zach Smith (So.)
Anu Solomon (Sr.)
Charlie Brewer (Fr.)
Preston Heard (So.)

I fully expect Smith to win the job but we are in great hands if he happens to get hurt. Really like Solomon. Brewer may not redshirt but the logical and best path is clearly him redshirting. No need if Solomon is the back up. If both he and Smith get hurt well then that's just [inappropriate/removed] luck.

Runningback/Fullback
Terence Williams (Jr.)
JaMycal Hasty (RSo.)
Wyatt Schrepfer (Sr.)
Obim Okeke (So.)
Abram Smith (Fr.)
*Johnathan Lovett (Fr.)
(FB) Kyle Boyd (So.)

Williams is the best back in the Big 12 imo. Hasty should have a much bigger role in the offense with a ton of carries plus some sets in the slot. I don't expect Schrepf to play much. I expect Abram Smith to get a handful of carries as the 3rd back but he's a little banged up at the moment. I know nothing about Okeke but I'm excited to see if he can contribute. Then Johnathan Lovett is a 247 4* from New Jersey who should redshirt, but if Abram Smith's injury happens to be serious, I think he'll redshirt and Lovett will play as a freshman.

We'll be using a FB for many sets I believe and Kyle Boyd is the guy. He's a former marine.

Wide Receiver
Blake Lynch (RSo.)
Chris Platt (Jr.)
Devontre Stricklin (RSo.)
Jared Atkinson (So.)
RJ Sneed (Fr.)
Denzel Mims (So.)
Tony Nicholson (RSo.)
Marques Jones (So.)
*Gavin Holmes (Fr.)
*Trestan Ebner (Fr.)

I really don't know if we'll be mainly running 2 or 3 WR sets. I assume we'll run 2,3, and 4 WR sets depending on matchups, but I'll guess our base package will have 3. In that case Blake Lynch is the star of the group. I think he goes over 1,000 yards this year with at least 8 TD. Starting opposite of him will be Devontre Stricklin I'd guess, a very solid possession receiver.

Then Chris Platt with his track speed will be in the slot. Main backups on the outside should be the two talented sophomores Jared Atkinson (6'3) and Denzel Mims (6'4). Tony Nicholson will be the backup slot WR.

True freshman RJ Sneed was an early enrollee who has gotten rave reviews from Rhule so far. I expect true freshman Gavin Holmes to seriously challenge Nicholson for 2nd slot reps. Sneed definitely plays as a freshman. Holmes may redshirt but I have a feeling he'll play.

Tight End
Jordan Feuerbacher (Sr.)
Quan Jones (Sr.)
Josh Malin (Jr.)
Sam Tecklenburg (RSo.)
*BJ Thompson (Fr.)
*Tyler Henderson (Fr.)

One of the most intriguing parts about Rhule and his offense. We'll be running a ton of two-TE sets. Feuerbacher should easily be the starter but where it gets interesting is the 2nd TE in the two-TE sets. Quan Jones is a 6'5 WR who converted to TE a few months ago. I believe they want one blocking tight end and one athletic freak mismatch TE in many of their sets. Quan Jones has hardly done anything over his 3 years so far and has big problems catching, but maybe this change will be good for him and the team. Malin and Teck are both TE/lineman hybrids. I believe Teck is moving to an OL role while Malin converted to a TE from the DL.

As for the future, BJ Thompson was a 247 4* for 2017. He's 6'7 and could be an absolute monster in this offense. He and Henderson will redshirt.

Right Tackle
Patrick Lawrence (Jr.)
Jim Threet (So.)

Right Guard
Blake Blackmar (Jr.)
Daniel Russell (Sr.)

Center
Tanner Thrift (Sr.)
Tyrae Simmons (Sr.)

Left Guard
Ishmael Wilson (Sr.)
Dalton Justice (So.)

Right Guard
Mo Porter (Sr.)
Josh Pelzel (Jr.)

*Six freshman OL slated to come in a few months - not sure about specific positions, but assuming which part of the line they would play below:

Tackle
*Khalil Keith (Fr.)
*Henry Klinge IV (Fr.)

Guard
*Eleasah Anderson (Fr.)
*Jason Moore (Fr.)

Center
*Xavier Newman (Fr.)
*Ryan Miller (Fr.)

Looking at the offensive line, this is definitely the biggest area of concern. Last year was somewhat of a fluke with no coaching and an unmotivated team through all the [inappropriate/removed]. We have some really talented players on the line, but they have to grow as a unit and of course they have to show it. The starters obviously have a number of unknowns as a unit, but at least they have this entire offseason to get better.

The depth is what is worrisome - extremely worrisome. Every single guy aside from Tyrae Simmons (16 JUCO) and Josh Pelzel (tore ACL last spring) is someone who I have never seen on the field. They could surprise and some gems could emerge after spring and fall practices, but it's very hard to be optimistic at the moment.

With that, a number of true freshman absolutely are going to have to play. It's hard to predict who, but at the moment it seems like a safe bet that Ryan Miller (center) and Xavier Newman (ESPN 300 - C/G) are going to have to play. Some think Miller could even earn the starting center spot. He's that bright.

Out of Klinge, Keith, Moore, and Anderson, I could see any combination of them redshirting and playing. It is a very bright future for the line though. With these 6 plus 3 already committed for 18, they are clearly putting an emphasis on the line.

Left Defensive End
K.J. Smith (Sr.)
Brian Nance (Sr.)

Defensive Tackle
Tyrone Hunt (RSo.)
Michael Johnson (RSo.)
Will Jones (RFr.)
*James Lynch (Fr.)

Nose Tackle
Ira Lewis (Jr.)
Bravvion Roy (So.)
Andrew Morris (Jr.)

Right Defensive End
Greg Roberts (Jr.)
Xavier Jones (Jr.)
Jamie Jacobs (Jr.)

*A number of freshman defensive ends. I can only see one of them maybe playing as a freshman and that would be DeMarco Artis, maybe our most impressive '17 recruit who was committed to Florida State and then committed to Baylor over Oregon after he decommited from FSU.

The rest of the ends are all redshirting. It's a few unknowns and a few guys with monster athleticism and length like the staff loves. Artis and Harris are the guys who I think could be absolute studs for us. Ogbonnaya is extremely raw but may actually have the highest upside. Then Maxwell and Saulin are two lower ranked guys who have the size and athleticism the staff wants on the edge. Maxwell could even move inside. This group also includes BJ Thompson who looks to play a TE/DE hybrid role.

*DeMarco Artis (Fr.)
*Justin Harris (Fr.)
*Chidi Ogbonnaya (Fr.)
*BJ Thompson (Fr.)
*Cole Maxwell (Fr.)
*Rob Saulin

Overall, the defensive line for 2017 looks to be a very talented group. KJ Smith is arguably the best player on the entire roster and he can be a game changing end. Brian Nance backs him up after not being on the team last year. He was a JUCO star and with rotations, he should be a huge factor this year. On the other end, Greg Roberts holds the early lead with Xavier Jones backing him up. Jamie Jacobs started last year and was decent but he's out right now with an injury.

On the interior, we have some pretty big and talented guys. At DT Tyrone Hunt won DMVP in the Cactus Bowl where he absolutely dominated. Really expecting a huge year from him. Then the NT spot is up for grabs with junior Ira Lewis and former 4* Bravvion Roy. I really like this spot for the team.

WILL (LB)
Taylor Young (Sr.)
Jordan Williams (RSo.)
Thomas Cletcher (Jr.)

MIKE (LB)
Clay Johnston (RSo.)
Deonte Williams (RFr.)

SAM (LB)
Lenoy Jones Jr. (RSo.)
Eric Ogor (RSo.)
*Jalen Pitre (Fr.)

We got 4 commits for 2017 who should all be playing linebacker, but a few may be safeties. Jalen Pitre is an early enrollee who was a safety in HS and it looks like they have him playing the SAM LB as of now. I expect he and the other three, Jackson, Logan, and Bernard to all redshirt.

*Bryson Jackson (Fr.)
*Terrel Bernard (Fr.)
*Ashton Logan (Fr.)

Just like the defensive line, there is enough talent here to be optimistic. First off, the best defensive player on this team is Taylor Young. KJ Smith is arguably just as good but Taylor Young would be my pick. He's an All Big 12 Defensive Player and I expect him to lead this defense. The middle linebacker spot has my favorite sleeper of the team: Clay Johnston Jr. I think this guy is going to be a solid and consistent contributor this year and a star by next year. And then fellow RSo. Lenoy Jones Jr. is slotted as the starting SAM LB. He has been a guy Rhule has praised constantly during Spring Ball.

The main back ups across the position are Jordan Williams, Thomas Cletcher, Deonte Williams, Eric Ogor, and aforementioned Jalen Pitre who I bet redshirts. Not the depth you can be positive about at this moment, but both Williams's - especially Deonte, and Eric Ogor are crazy athletic guys. Igor may be the most athletic guy on this defense and Deonte Williams is another raw guy with star potential.

Cornerback
Jameson Houston (RSo.)
Verkedric Vaughns (Jr.)
Raleigh Texada (RFr.)
Jourdan Blake (Jr.)
Jordan Tolbert (RSo.)
Grayland Arnold (So.)

We landed two cornerbacks in the '17 class, one of which was a 4* from NJ (Harrison Hand) and the other a high 3* who we flipped from Houston. I expect both to redshirt but I'll keep my eye on Hand and whether or not he could push for playing time this year.

*Harrison Hand (Fr.)
*Timarcus Davis (Fr.)

This will be a position to watch closely during spring and fall. Our best corner, Grayland Arnold is recovering from surgery. If healthy he's our #1 player in the secondary and it isn't even close. I think he's an All Big 12 Player this year. I'm assuming he'll be good to go for our first game. The other starter should be between Vaughns and Houston. Both flashed solid play at times last year so whoever wins the job will have earned it.

The depth is interesting too. Blake has played sparingly and Tolbert actually left Baylor last year but returned after the season. RFr. Raleigh Texada is someone who I think can seriously contend for a starting job and will definitely get on the field.

Safety
Taion Sells (Sr.)
Chance Waz (Sr.)
Henry Black (RSo.)
Chris Miller (RSo.)
Rajah Preciado (So.)
Davion Hall (Sr.)

We landed commits from 3 safeties, but two of them may be playing LB here. The other one was the Houston Defensive Player of the Year, Trevon Lewis. A guy who some think was majorly overlooked and could be a contributor from day 1.

*Trevon Lewis (Fr.)

Overall this position is the most up in the air. As of now I'd pick Taion Sells as one starter and Chance Waz may have the early lead on the other S spot but he was terrible last year. After that we have a pair of extremely talented safeties who have been wowing in spring so far: Henry Black and Chris Miller. I'd actually bet on one of those two winning the other starting spot.

Preciado was not redshirted last season for reasons I will never know. Interested to see his role this year. Davion Hall is the WR who converted to safety last year. He's hurt at the moment. He showed flashes of really good but his tackling was pretty terrible. Still he was recruited to Alabama as a safety and he has an elite frame and athleticism for a safety. Best case is that he redshirts and has next year to play.
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing we may be adding a big time transfer who would probably play a different position here.

Might hear something tonight or tomorrow.
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devin Kurant wrote:
Hearing we may be adding a big time transfer who would probably play a different position here.

Might hear something tonight or tomorrow.

My recruiting source says this transfer is still on, it's just a matter of the announcement.

I'm going to the Spring Game tomorrow. Should be really fun. I'm thinking we'll get 3 or 4 commits tomorrow.
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added Jalen Hurd which is a huge get. He's going to have to sit out this year but he'll have one year to play (2018).

Looking like he'll play tight end here but will still line up in the backfield on multiple formations.

So assuming Terence Williams declares for the draft after this year, our RB depth next year looks like so, with Jalen Hurd on that depth chart:

JaMycal Hasty (Jr.)
Johnathan Lovett (So.)
Jalen Hurd (Sr.)
Abram Smith (RFr.)
*Joshua Fleeks - 2018 4* (Fr.), probably redshirted

Welcome to Waco, Jalen!

Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty big day recruiting-wise for us, especially with the NCAA still looking and all the negative recruiting against us:

3* DB Mark Milton

3* S JT Woods

3* WR Jackson Gleeson (probably fastest WR in Texas)

3* S Delarrin Turner-Yell

Hearing one more on the way soon as well. I'm thinking it's 3* S Christian Morgan who posted a 144 SPARQ score not too long ago.
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it happened. Got a commit from 3* S Christian Morgan. he had the highest SPARQ rating in the country at 144.0. I wouldn't be surprised if he got bumped up to a 4* at some point.

So as of now we have the 17th ranked class in the nation, 2nd in the Big 12, with a 84.99 average recruiting grade, though I expect that to rise as most of our commits should get solid ratings bumps.
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landed 3* speed demon, WR Kalon Barnes. We're building one of the fastest '18 classes in the nation.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33
Page 33 of 33

Jump to: