Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who will we pick at 30?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kurgan


Joined: 04 Jan 2013
Posts: 169
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who I would take:
Obi Melafanwu (changes the defense day 1)

Who they should take:
Charles Harris or Tredavious White (impact players immediatly)

Who they will take:
John Ross or David Njoku (keep Ben happy)
_________________
Better to burn out than fade away!!!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlanFanecaFan


Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Posts: 11405
Location: Getting hammered with Jeff Reed
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it one of these 5...

-Peppers
-Watt
-White
-Jarrad Davis
-Humphrey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KofQ


Joined: 29 Mar 2014
Posts: 994
Location: IA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurgan wrote:
Who I would take:
Obi Melafanwu (changes the defense day 1)

Who they should take:
Charles Harris or Tredavious White (impact players immediatly)

Who they will take:
John Ross or David Njoku (keep Ben happy)


I like Obi quite a bit, I just wonder where they would plug him in at. Could be an excellent slot guy right off the bat.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KJtheWicked


Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 1856
Location: Norrisville, Pa
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for who I want

Dream pick: Derek Barnett. Forget about being a perfect fit, this guy is a beast! Maybe the best edge rusher in the draft.

Guys I'm ok with:
Peppers
Baker
Takk
White
Humphrey
Obi

Meh:
Offense
Any pure ILB
Taco
Willis
Bowser

New TV:
QB
Harris
Watt
Any major reach

And like I said before, I think the pick will be Baker. Just a hunch. Probably left a few guys out, doing this off the top of my head with a baby laying on my chest. Lol.
_________________

Props to CalhounLambeau
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gatoradus


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 2617
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the whole thing I see everybody talked about; hybrid safety. Yes, the Steelers want one but also I truly believe they can nab a starting hybrid safety (who can play in the slot and in the box) in somebody like Maye or Cameron Sutton and they both are likely to be available in 2nd round. So, if you could get somebody who fit the profile and probably will be available in 2nd round, why worry about who fit the profile for the first round?

Argumentative, the one player that fit the profile right now for the first round pick is Obi and I am not sure the separation between him and next guy will be big. Athletically speaking, sure. Talent-wise? Not much.

Marcus Maye
Cameron Sutton
Desmond King
Josh Jones
Montae Nicholson*

Montae is another guy to pay attention, he's vastly underrated. Those five candidates are the players that almost or fit the profile and will be available in the 2nd round.

we WILL draft a quarterback in the 3rd round at latest. Whether it is Brad Kaaya or Josh Dobbs (just look at the pro day and dinner, they met with Brad Kaaya TWICE).

If I am the GM, I'd trade up to get Reddick. He's my man, only him is the who I would trade up for.

My guts say they will go with TJ Watt. By now I think people have cooled down on him being related to JJ Watt. It's not why he's ranked this high. He fits the profile.

Dinner? Check
Junior? Check
SPARQ? Check
Positional need? Check

People and I talked about Watt being inside linebacker at next level but then I remember that in a 3-3-5 he is essentially an OLB who would drop back a lot which we already does and that's something he's already GOOD at and is still developing as a pass rusher which makes sense since he will be playing behind James Harrison. Making a position switch just a year before he started as an outside linebacker and didn't do too bad. I think it is justifiable to say he's a football intelligent player and he will do just fine.

TJ Watt. TJ Watt. TJ Watt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 10097
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riddick will be gone by the 15th pick and he would fill the Timmons role.

For Hybrid safety it is a LB that can cover like a safety. Bowser and Samson Ebukam are two off the top of my head that fit the role. They drafted Travis Feeney last year who would have fit the role but he was plucked from the practice squad by the Saints.

I do see Watt as a type of player that the Steelers fall in love with. I think he would play inside for them this year.
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
warfelg


Joined: 12 Jan 2014
Posts: 3335
Location: Richmond Va
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
This is one draft where I've seen so many different players mocked to the Steelers than in the past. Usually there seemed to be around five or so constant players that you see mocked but this year I've seen positions of QB, WR, TE, OLB, S, and CB all picked by reporters and "experts". Then you throw in the different players at a position like OLB and it's been like 20 different players I've seen.

In just one week we'll soon find out. Unless of course they trade down which I certainly won't be opposed to. I think they could do that and still grab the player they are targeting in the second round. Can't wait for the draft.


I think the issue is:
QB - Ben's recent "I contemplate retirement" statement made people freak out. But what people tended to miss was he said he's done this every offseason for the last 5 years now.

WR - I think people look at the lack of production outside of Brown and the unreliability of Bryant and see a good fit there. So if there's a good one they will be mocked to us.

TE - Ben said he would like a reliable TE so people want to force one our way. Every time someone speaks up and says something like this some writers freak out and force that position to you.

OLB - Our one true need. Unless every one of the 1st round graded OLB's are gone I don't see any way we don't take one, or at least shouldn't. I said it before, and I'll say it again, OLD depth isn't as great as some think. CB and S is.

S - Yes it's a need, but we just drafted a guy who settled into SS role nicely late last year, and Mitchell has 2 years and absurd money left (thank you restructures!), so drafting a safety pushes one of those guys around. Davis doesn't have the instincts for FS, and is a disaster at CB if you ask me.

CB - I put this as just a "unless some really falls". I'm thinking like drafting David DeCastro, where we had other needs and other players were mocked, but a top 10 value fell into our laps here. Marlon Humphrey is one of the few I would be happy with.
_________________
jebrick wrote:
Quote:
Jarvis Jones signs with Steelers


Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JLambert58


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1855
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrong thread
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63350
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
I think the issue is:
QB - Ben's recent "I contemplate retirement" statement made people freak out. But what people tended to miss was he said he's done this every offseason for the last 5 years now.


Exactly.

I mean, its going to happen at some point, but I still firmly believe he will finish his contract unless he seriously gets hurt.

Quote:
WR - I think people look at the lack of production outside of Brown and the unreliability of Bryant and see a good fit there. So if there's a good one they will be mocked to us.


No issue with one on day 3....maybe 3rd round for the right player.

Quote:
TE - Ben said he would like a reliable TE so people want to force one our way. Every time someone speaks up and says something like this some writers freak out and force that position to you.


On the nose again.

I could see the Steelers drafting a TE early....but I really hope not.

Quote:
OLB - Our one true need. Unless every one of the 1st round graded OLB's are gone I don't see any way we don't take one, or at least shouldn't. I said it before, and I'll say it again, OLD depth isn't as great as some think. CB and S is.


Youre on fire today. Wink

I want 2...maybe 3 pass rushers drafted, though.

Quote:
S - Yes it's a need, but we just drafted a guy who settled into SS role nicely late last year, and Mitchell has 2 years and absurd money left (thank you restructures!), so drafting a safety pushes one of those guys around. Davis doesn't have the instincts for FS, and is a disaster at CB if you ask me.


Ill reserve judgement on Davis at FS.

Mitchell needs to go. We could cut him this year for only a $3.1m cap hit the next two seasons. And since we didnt spend much in FA, we could actually afford to straight up cut him and take the cap hit this year and be free of everything come 2018.

Mitchell is mediocre at best, and should be cut immediately.

Quote:
CB - I put this as just a "unless some really falls". I'm thinking like drafting David DeCastro, where we had other needs and other players were mocked, but a top 10 value fell into our laps here. Marlon Humphrey is one of the few I would be happy with.


CB is definitely a first round need....although Im not entirely sure which ones are good this year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
warfelg


Joined: 12 Jan 2014
Posts: 3335
Location: Richmond Va
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43M I'm on my phone and it's a PITA to delete down to these points:

Safety - it's not that they are mocked to us it's who's mocked to us. Every time I see a safety I see it listed as SS. No one is mocking a FS to us.

CB - I think there's a clear drop from the top 4 to the next grouping. Enough to wait a round for one. I think if those 4 are gone (likely) then there are better players at other positions before you hit the quality of the CBS behind that.
_________________
jebrick wrote:
Quote:
Jarvis Jones signs with Steelers


Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 10281
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think Obi is going to be there at 30. 6'4, 225 DB's who performed like he did at the combine and had good enough film to have a high grade aren't exactly common.

I think the Steelers would have to trade up for him. I'd have to think that's a guy Tomlin loves.
_________________
Mike Tomlin, January 17, 2017 on the avoiding the Patriots in previous playoffs:
"They haven't had to go through us, either. Stay tuned!"
Final: 36-17
NFL.com-BELICHICK OUTCOACHES TOMLIN YET AGAIN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cbrunn2


Joined: 08 Feb 2013
Posts: 2336
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most everybody is naming guys who are all "pegged" to the Steelers ... they barely every pick those guys unless I'm mistaken

They said they want to run more Man Coverage so I will throw this name out there

Quincy Wilson - true JR , good Press man CB skills and ball skills - Artie and Quincy will give them more of a man profile at CB for years to come
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
armsteeld


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 6618
Location: In your head
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbrunn2 wrote:
Most everybody is naming guys who are all "pegged" to the Steelers ... they barely every pick those guys unless I'm mistaken

They said they want to run more Man Coverage so I will throw this name out there

Quincy Wilson - true JR , good Press man CB skills and ball skills - Artie and Quincy will give them more of a man profile at CB for years to come


Wilson is a better zone CB imo. When I watch Wilson, I see Ross Cockrell and that isn't impressive. His hips aren't good enough to keep up on quick cutting routes or it could be his feet. What I'm saying is he drifts away from the receiver.
_________________




"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JLambert58


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1855
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
cbrunn2 wrote:
Most everybody is naming guys who are all "pegged" to the Steelers ... they barely every pick those guys unless I'm mistaken

They said they want to run more Man Coverage so I will throw this name out there

Quincy Wilson - true JR , good Press man CB skills and ball skills - Artie and Quincy will give them more of a man profile at CB for years to come


Wilson is a better zone CB imo. When I watch Wilson, I see Ross Cockrell and that isn't impressive. His hips aren't good enough to keep up on quick cutting routes or it could be his feet. What I'm saying is he drifts away from the receiver.


Yeah, I see that. A more physical Cockrell.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
armsteeld


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 6618
Location: In your head
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
cbrunn2 wrote:
Most everybody is naming guys who are all "pegged" to the Steelers ... they barely every pick those guys unless I'm mistaken

They said they want to run more Man Coverage so I will throw this name out there

Quincy Wilson - true JR , good Press man CB skills and ball skills - Artie and Quincy will give them more of a man profile at CB for years to come


Wilson is a better zone CB imo. When I watch Wilson, I see Ross Cockrell and that isn't impressive. His hips aren't good enough to keep up on quick cutting routes or it could be his feet. What I'm saying is he drifts away from the receiver.


Yeah, I see that. A more physical Cockrell.


Yes and I don't think we want that at #30.
_________________




"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group