Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft 2017 talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Josh Norris‏Verified account @JoshNorris 1h1 hour ago

Asking around in the last 24 hrs, many teams still have strong 1st round interest in Reuben Foster. In fact, 3 are visiting him this weekend

Quote:
Josh Norris‏Verified account @JoshNorris 1h1 hour ago

Based on those conversations, I believe Foster goes round one. So many coaches are in love with his game.

Sounds about right.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Rising-UConn-Obi-Melifonwu-visits-dozen-teams-11089186.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

Quote:
FL teams' interest in Connecticut safety Obi Melifonwu has been increasing markedly over the past few weeks with several evaluating him as a cornerback due to his rare blend of size, athleticism and positional flexibility.

Quote:
The Baltimore Ravens, Indianapolis Colts, Oakland Raiders and Jacksonville Jaguars have displayed steady interest.

Eh?

That's an interesting one, although with the team having interest in Josh Jones as well I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. I'm still not confident that Pees would actually use the dime but adding Melifonwu would go a long, long ways towards that goal. With Jefferson up near the LOS and Weddle and Obi back deep(ish) along with Mosley at LB and then Smith, Carr, and Young at CB that's an ideal dime alignment. He's probably only an option if the Ravens trade back from 16, but I'm fine with that.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Baltimore Ravens

Round Overall Player Notes
1 16 Traded to Houston
1 22 OT Cam Robinson from Miami*
1 25 Traded to Miami from Houston*
1 29 WR Corey Davis from Green Bay*
2 47 Traded to Green Bay
2 57 OLB Ryan Anderson from Houston*
3 74 Traded to Green Bay from Philadelphia
3 78 C Pat Elflein

4 122 Traded to Miami

5 159 FB Sam Rogers

6 186 DL Nazair Jones from San Francisco
7 243 OT Justin Senior from Houston*

Buckle up, Ravens fans. Baltimore first moves down nine spots and picks up Houston's second- and seventh-rounder this year as well as a fourth-rounder in 2018 so that the Texans can draft their quarterback. Then, after Robinson slides out of the top 20, the Ravens trade their fourth-round pick to hop up a few spots for the tackle, in whom they've reportedly shown interest. He'll plug into the right tackle spot immediately, giving the Ravens an impressive set of bookends.

But wait, the Ravens aren't done making moves in the first round. After Corey Davis falls further than expected, Ozzie Newsome trades their original second-round pick as well as the third-rounder they received in the Timmy Jernigan trade to move up for the talented receiver, who should develop as the Ravens' go-to option in the passing game, leaving Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman to play complementary roles.

The Ravens then use the second-rounder they picked up in the Houston deal to add a pass-rushing linebacker who can fill the Elvis Dumervil role, then take a potential plug-and-play option at center with their remaining third-rounder. On Day 3, they opt for a Kyle Juszczyk replacement in Rogers and help on both lines.

So CBS posted a 7 round mock draft and above is how it played out for us.

I don't know a thing about anyone after Elflein, but we get Cam/Davis/Anderson/Elflein with our first 4 picks, all at decent spots.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Mayock is doing a conference call right now and said with confidence that Charlton wasn't really a fit for us, 16 is too high for him, and most surprisingly that Charlton would be there in the second if we wanted him. Didn't even seem like he thought it would be a question as to whether or not Charlton would be there in the 2nd. Yet he didn't scoff at someone suggesting Peppers to us in the 1st.

Mike is my favorite fuddy duddy, can't wait for draft day, anticipate a lot of wows from Mikey this year folks. NFLN's coverage is god tier superior to ESPN's and every year you get to see Mayock play russian roulette with his career. My personal favorites are the times he joked about shooting his daughter and when he wanted to kill Rich Eisen over Tebow. Last years "Beavers, Bush & Johnson" situation was hilarious as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play russian roulette with his career? Don't think I get that.

Mike Mayock became a favorite of many, mine as well, as soon as he began to actually explain why he liked certain players. Also, he seems a lot more genuine about being a draft nerd/football nerd than others and he doesn't have the same name to state something outrageous for the sake of it.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't wrap my head around those that keep mocking or suggesting Peppers to the Ravens. He just has no role on the team with Jefferson onboard. And yes, his signing should preclude drafting someone else in the same mold with a significantly high pick.

For what it's worth I can see why some would think Charlton isn't a fit for the Ravens. He definitely profiles more as a "true" defensive end rather than an edge rusher in a 3-4. But so does Suggs these days. I'm not too hung up on those labels as long as their intent of use is the same. Taco would be brought in to rush the passer and he would be just fine doing that.

Quote:
Michael Lombardi‏Verified account @mlombardiNFL

Teams picking between 33-45 will need to make sure they are comfortable with R. Foster, cause he will be there.

It's Mike Lombardi, but he hits sometimes around the draft. Quite a statement from him.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
Play russian roulette with his career? Don't think I get that.

Mike Mayock became a favorite of many, mine as well, as soon as he began to actually explain why he liked certain players. Also, he seems a lot more genuine about being a draft nerd/football nerd than others and he doesn't have the same name to state something outrageous for the sake of it.

Mike gets worked up and forgets the era he is in at times. He will drop a comment that seems innocuous to him but makes me cringe, not cause I'm offended but how others will take it. One year his daughter provided an old picture of him or something for fodder and he said "if my daughter did this I'll shoot her". Now obviously he's just being silly but we live in hypersensitive times and PC vultures are never full. Even at the combine he drifted into a weird place when doing a character drenched in ebonics. I think he's funny and I believe he actually cares about the kids more than anyone out there, but he isn't tempered like a classic tv personality which makes him interesting but also vulnerable. He's gotten "not joking around mad" before and I just worry one day his candor will force him on to greener pastures, that's all I meant by Russian roulette.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Danand wrote:
A Cam Robinson/Forest Lamp would make a lot of sense. A receiver like Taywan Taylor in the 3-4 round/a Ryan Switzer in the 4-5 round would make a lot of sense.

If it's Lamp in the first round, sure. He's going to be really good. But Robinson? Man, he's too risky as a prospect at that point. It would be an egregious overreach based on need considering who else will likely be available at that point. Moving to right tackle might help Cam out but he has some serious technique issues regardless and isn't going to slide by based on pure size and strength like he did in college. And you know I'm all for getting the offensive line some help, so it's not the idea of taking a right tackle in the first round (a year after taking a left tackle in the first round) that's getting me. It's all about Robinson as a prospect.

DreamKid wrote:
I get Pernell McPhee vibes off of Malik McDowell, he can play edge, 5 tech, NT. Really any down or rush position. He's a special athlete.

Eh, kind of but not quite. Maybe the defensive line version of McPhee. Pernell didn't start really ramping things up until he moved off the line of scrimmage and played more in space/on the edge. Like he did his rookie year, and then the team tried bullying him up and making him something he wasn't.

Quote:
Two Draft Questions

1. What are thoughts on Dion Dawkins G Temple?

2. Would drafting a receiver be detrimental to the development of our previous investment?

Dawkins is good. Another tremendous option at 47. One of the few offensive linemen you could say that about, which means he probably won't make it to 47.

No. I don't see adding another receiver as detrimental to Perriman's development. Not unless they play the same roles on offense and I don't think that would be the case with any of the discussed wide receiver prospects. Ross would be the closest but still different. Keep in mind that Wallace only has one year left on his deal and might not be back next year. If you look at the wide receiver group going forward without him, and it's not like he's that great, something needs to be done even if Perriman takes a big step forward this year. If you don't scheme it right, and the Ravens don't and won't, one good receiver isn't going to cut it.

Danand wrote:
The thing is with drafting a receiver high. Baring the exit of Watson, we potentially have Gillmore, Williams, Waller, Boyle, Perriman, Wallace, Moore, Campanaro and Woodhead as options in the passing game. That group has potential but also a lot of questionmarks. I don't think we help ourselves the best by adding another receiving option, and I am not even high on Perriman.

The Ravens have plenty of options in the passing game. They still need a fixture or two though. I guess you could think of Pitta as a fixture given how often Flacco looks his way but that's not a good thing. Getting someone reliable in any situation on the outside would do wonders for the passing game. Not just a bunch of rotating role players. There's something to be said for a bona fide starting receiver. The only likes of which Baltimore has had the last 10 years are older veterans past their primes. That's my reasoning for really getting behind the idea of Davis, Williams, or Ross in the first round. I agree that upgrading the offensive line should be the most important thing to do going forward for Baltimore but if it's not Lamp at 16 I don't think anybody else is worth taking. So then you move on to the next best thing.

bmorecareful wrote:
and it allows correa to be a full time edge... think about it like this with zudon smith Suggs and correa...

I don't think any of this is ever going to be about "allowing" Correa to play full-time on the edge. Not with the team moving him to inside linebacker almost immediately last offseason. Before Orr retired and there was a perceived hole at ILB. Kamalei isn't getting projected there just now because Zach is gone, that seems to be where the Ravens wanted him all along. Which would have been a waste if Orr did come back considering Pees doesn't rotate inside linebackers but if the front office is going to put up with his incompetence then oh well. Regardless, my view is that even if Foster is drafted by the Ravens I don't think we will see too much of Correa on the outside. He should and would offer and immediate upgrade to the pass-rush... but Dean Pees.

My thing would be this though if foster is the pick and with Mosley only turning 25 this year we are literally set at ILB for the next 5 years minimum barring injury... So at that point u either use correa as a full time edge defender or u trade him without ever knowing what he is capable of and try to get some value while we can...
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.. draft Reuben in round 1 and Taco in round 2.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
My thing would be this though if foster is the pick and with Mosley only turning 25 this year we are literally set at ILB for the next 5 years minimum barring injury... So at that point u either use correa as a full time edge defender or u trade him without ever knowing what he is capable of and try to get some value while we can...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that doesn't make sense. It does. But I don't have a lot of faith in the staff doing smart things.

For what it's worth I think the team is set at ILB anyways with just Mosley. All a team needs is one primary off-ball linebacker with a complimentary piece next to him. Correa theoretically could be a complimentary blitzing piece. Maybe even one that can drop into a short zone. CJ can do anything so it's not hard to pair him with someone else. Then when the offense is in a passing situation bring in the dime defense with Jefferson up as the other "LB" and a full secondary behind them. But yeah, that bit about smart things...
racoona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
racoona wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
To be honest I don't think it affects his stock all that much, at least for the Ravens. Especially since it was a diluted sample and not an outright fail. If he was an option at 16 before this news came out he's probably still an option 16 even after this news came out. Jernigan did have a very similar situation and he fell a little bit although I don't think his stock was ever going to be higher than the very end of the first round anyways.

But if it did take him off of Baltimore's board at 16 I wouldn't complain...

Some smoke floating around about Jacksonville taking Cam Robinson at 4. I mean, they need a tackle and Coughlin likes building through the trenches but man that would be an absolute shocker. Also a wonderful thing for the Ravens. Laughing

I like Cam, but wow! They can have him at 4th. That could even help us land either Williams or Davis.

I do agree w/ your initial comment about not wanting to trade up. I really like the depth of this draft. I don't have a "guy," and usually at this point, I'd already be hoping we secure a player or two. I don't want us using our first 4 picks to trade up. I would highly consider using our 4th round pick to trade up from our 2nd or 3rd pick to try and secure a better player though.

Man, if the Browns use their 1st and 2nd round picks correctly, the AFC North is going to be fun to watch.

The last time the Browns had two 1. round picks, they chose players who are now already out of the league. They might look at the history and think "oh, we didn't pick a QB with our 1. pick and look what it got us + that Weeden guy was horrible, we have to pick a QB at #1".

Then they pick a 2. round talent in Trubisky and pick some bust to come at #12 and bam, the are not to be reckoned with.

While I am on the Corey Davis bandwagon, I still see so much more reason to draft an oline. That is a position group, where we said farewell to two starters. Our young guard is coming off injury, our older better guard are going to have surgery and our 1. round left tackle also struggled with injuries for half of a season. None of the guys we had as backups could force their way into the starting lineup.

We have so many options who can catch the football, and while none of them are top tier players, it should be enough to have a decent passing game. That won't happen though if our opponents don't respect our running game, which an upgrade at oline should help with.

A Cam Robinson/Forest Lamp would make a lot of sense. A receiver like Taywan Taylor in the 3-4 round/a Ryan Switzer in the 4-5 round would make a lot of sense.

I agree. While I do I like Corey Davis (and Mike Williams), having a stud at right tackle would be tremendous for the team. We won't have to worry about our bookend tackles for the next 4 years (at least). (I think Stanley is on his way to being a stud at left tackle.)

I think the team will address the wide receiver position w/ one of their 3rd round picks: maybe Godwin or Darboh (although I think Darboh could be had w/ the 4 rd pick).

We have question marks in the pass rushing position, but I think the team wants to give Judon and Smith a legitimate chance to solidify the position.

Yeah, it's hard to buy into the Browns. However, I was fairly impressed with how they built their offensive line this offseason. Then, you add in Gregg Williams. GM seems competent. Looking bright for them. I say this now, but watch them prove my optimism wrong, and draft Trubisky with the first pick of the draft.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey eagles fan here with just a quick draft philosophy question. As you guys all know the eagles top 2 draft guys learned all they know from Ozzie. So I was wondering how well reported visits and meetings with players correlated to your team drafting said guys. Like a lot of people think the eagles could take McCaffrey at 14 but there are no reports the eagles have ever spoken to him anywhere. So I am just wondering if not talking to players and still taking them is something that happens often with the ravens.

Thanks for any answers.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Anna Kendricks are always nice.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
hey eagles fan here with just a quick draft philosophy question. As you guys all know the eagles top 2 draft guys learned all they know from Ozzie. So I was wondering how well reported visits and meetings with players correlated to your team drafting said guys. Like a lot of people think the eagles could take McCaffrey at 14 but there are no reports the eagles have ever spoken to him anywhere. So I am just wondering if not talking to players and still taking them is something that happens often with the ravens.

Thanks for any answers.

It seems like the Ravens tend to bring in their first round picks for visits. Outside of that there isn't a ton of correlation. Of course even if something isn't reported that doesn't mean it didn't happen so there's some error room. But in Baltimore's case the visits for their eventual first round picks have been leaked the past few years.

I know last year that the team picked Correa in the second round without much interest shown in him. I remember him specifically saying he was surprised that they took him since there was no contact between his camp and Baltimore throughout the predraft process. But again, that was the second round.

Not sure I would say that Philadelphia's guys would do the same though even if they did learn from Newsome. McCaffrey probably won't be there anyways.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who've scouted Lamp extensively, I'm sure you got a decent look at Max Halpin what are some thoughts on him as a player? Lamps speaks very highly of him, the team worked him out, and it could be interesting to bring in that combo of the two. Might add chemistry to the line quicker if we obtained a connection like that.

On the subject of OL, would people be upset if we double dipped and picked one in each of the 1st two rounds?

1. Forrest Lamp
2. Dion Dawkins
?. Late or UDFA Max Halpin

Both Dawkins and Lamp have enjoyed some big pre draft hype, most recently with Lamp being rumored to the Chargers at 7 and Dawkins being mocked to the Colts right ahead of us at 15 in Retuer's latest draft. I still feel comfortable mocking both to our picks though, and say we did get them our core would be locked in and ready to win.

Stanley- Dawkins- Lamp- Yanda- Lewis

Lewis is better suited to RT, I don't think it's much of a question. It's nice to know he can kick inside in a pinch, but getting the Ogden/Tunsil treatment should only be temporary and the right side should be his home long term. I have more confidence in him getting push against ends consistently than I do him going up against DIs.

I understand that part of Lamp's value is his versatility and in this scenario we could really make use of it. Maybe Dawkins can play center as well but I think they'd give Lamp the nod. He would be able to hold the position down until Yanda who will be 33 this year calls it a HOF career. Then he could kick back to guard and maybe his ol buddy Halpin becomes the starter at center. Who by the way might be more willing to come to the team as an UDFA if that's his fate, should we draft Lamp.

It's a scenario in which we have projected stability and high level play locked in for a long time. The team wants to build one of the best OLs in the league and namely a big strong one. Lamp isn't a guy with massive natural strength and girth who gets push effortlessly but by majority of accounts it doesn't matter he wins with technique and more often than not. If he really is the next Zach Martin type then I'm down. Dawkins does fit more of the team's desired mold and I think he is a likely 2nd round pick for us. Getting just one of them and having them perform to expected levels would be huge for the team.

As we inch close to the draft really the only selections I'm staunch against are Williams and Barnett. There's never been so many players I'd be cool with the team picking. I do think the team would be wise to steer clear of Ross until the value is too much to ignore though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamKid wrote:
On the subject of OL, would people be upset if we double dipped and picked one in each of the 1st two rounds?

Yes. Because that means we didn't get a pass rusher in the first two rounds. I would be able to understand if we went OL/pass rusher and didn't get a WR early, though a bit disappointed. But, with the concentration of pass rushers in the top 50, we need to add to Suggs (34 years old with growing injury history), Matt Judon, and Za'Darius Smith with 0 depth behind them.

On the OL, we can look to sign Mangold (we still need to draft one too). But we aren't boosting our pass rush with a veteran.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamKid wrote:
For those who've scouted Lamp extensively, I'm sure you got a decent look at Max Halpin what are some thoughts on him as a player?

I haven't. With Lamp playing left tackle and Halpin playing center that's a bit outside of the area I focus on when watching Forrest.

Quote:

1. Forrest Lamp
2. Dion Dawkins
?. Late or UDFA Max Halpin

I don't know. It doesn't sound bad to me if it is Lamp and Dawkins, but at the same time there are a good amount of pass-rushers, wide receivers, and cornerbacks I would love to see Baltimore take in the first two rounds as well. Dion probably isn't making it to 47 anyways though. I'm not extremely comfortable projecting Lamp (or anybody who hasn't played it) to center either. Physically it shouldn't be a problem, but that position is as much about the mental side of things as it is actual play on the field. Can't get a feel for that facet of a prospect in our position.

Quote:
As we inch close to the draft really the only selections I'm staunch against are Williams and Barnett. There's never been so many players I'd be cool with the team picking. I do think the team would be wise to steer clear of Ross until the value is too much to ignore though.

I'm still surprised by your adamance about not liking Williams. I get your position about him being a guy that's always fighting for the ball because he's not separating, but wide receivers are succeeding that way these days. A lot of times they have to. Defenses are getting too fast and covering too much ground for wide receivers to consistently get good separation for find a nice hole in the coverage. Well, at least the good defenses that scheme to stop the pass... Anyways, having somebody who can go up and make a play on the ball is extremely valuable. Especially for Flacco since he likes to throw it up like that to all of his receivers regardless of whether or not they're good at fighting for the ball in the air.

Still torn on Barnett. It's such a classic case of production and history versus projection based on physical traits. My feet are firmly in the sand on either side of the line. I can see it easily happening both ways. Barnett will probably be gone by 16 so the Ravens won't have to make that decision but if he's there I wouldn't be surprised if his name is called. Seems to be the type of player the team likes at the edge spots, so maybe Derek's athletic profile isn't really a negative in their eyes.

On another note Dorian Johnson would be a solid pick at 47 as well. He might actually make it there too but the run on offensive linemen should start early with how few good ones there are. I want someone to sell me on Pocic though. He's versatile and looks to be a solid pass-protector but that's it. Being tall works against him at center and his strength is not good. Don't think he will ever be anchoring anything inside and that's one of the bigger priorities on my list for centers. I'm wary because Ethan looks like he could be very similar to Zuttah. Maybe not as terrible as 2016 Zuttah, but the same strengths and weaknesses on the field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 48 of 55

Jump to: