Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is the best pro athlete of the century so far?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is it?
Brady
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]
Manning
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Moss
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Lebron
26%
 26%  [ 22 ]
Shaq
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kobe
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Bonds
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Ronaldo
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Messi
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Crosby
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Federer
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Nadal
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tiger
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Kobiashi
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Serena
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
Phelps
29%
 29%  [ 24 ]
Bolt
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
Armstrong
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Barkley
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Other
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 82

jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
I could argue more people play basketball, or attempt to than become pro swimmers so it's tougher competition.

Not trying to take away from the greatness that is Phelps.

You can argue that. I'll just counter with "then you must believe that the best soccer player is the best athlete, if we apply your logic, because they face the toughest competition."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
i just have to laugh at a basketball player...ANY basketball player...being named alongside Michael Phelps. I mean...c'mon Laughing

I can see arguments for Phelps, Messi and [insert the best MMA fighter].

Phelps because he is the most dominant athlete in his field.
Messi because he is the best athlete in a sport w/ the largest field.
MMA fighter because he/she is the best at the most raw, human survival sport.
Have you ever actually seen LeBron James? Honesty? In person?

I'm talking about now, that he's in his thirties. Not even when he was in his early twenties.

Actually sit and watch him run by you from near courtside seats.

At least George will leave Indy soon.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supersuavesky wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
i just have to laugh at a basketball player...ANY basketball player...being named alongside Michael Phelps. I mean...c'mon Laughing

I'm talking about now, that he's in his thirties. Not even when he was in his early twenties.

We're now determining the best athlete by picking the guy who LOOKS the most athletic? Confused

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supersuavesky wrote:
incognito_man wrote:

I have a few times, and still voted Phelps.

I'm guessing you've never seen Phelps swim live?

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has to be separated because we're talking about some guys who participate in team sports and others who participate in a solo arena. How can you compare someone like Michael Phelps or Floyd Mayweather to guys like Tom Brady and LeBron James? Forgot the fact the sports are obviously different, but not having teammates as opposed to having teammates is a pretty massive difference. LeBron has three titles right now, but if he had more quality teammates throughout his career he would probably have seven titles right now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie McCaw, two times rugby world cup winner and both times the captain, he has also won the world rugby player of the year multiple times.
He is also the greatest ever all black ever, which is probably the best international sports team that has ever existed.

McCaw is an excellent player on the best team.

He is a winner, winning over 80% of the games he plays

He is also a leader.

and he played for well over a decade.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
what about Mayweather?

Mr. Pillow Hands? Nah.

I went with Serena Williams. Most dominant female tennis player of all time, period.

fretgod99

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with Phelps, likely the greatest swimmer in the history of the sport. Bolt is another really good option, arguably the greatest sprinter in history. Serena Williams would probably be next on my list.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
No combat sports? I dislike the guy, but Conor McGregor should be in the discussion, as should Tyron Woodley, Daniel Cormier and Demetrious Johnson. If you're looking at "accomplishments" or periods of pure dominance this century, George St. Pierre, Anderson Silva and Ronda Rousey should also be in the chat as well.

In regards to boxing - 41-0 doesn't lie, even if you don't like his style of boxing. Floyd Mayweather should be an option.

Speaking of, when do we get to see Floyd Mayweather embarrass Conor McGregor?

Somewhere between "never" and "ever".

I think it'll happen eventually. Too much money in it for Conor to walk away from it, even with him knowing he'll lose.

Has nothing to do with Conor. Mayweather has zero upside to a fight like this. While we're pretty/very confident that Mayweather would win pretty handily, Conor still has a punchers' chance to connect and pull off a stunning upset - which would completely sink the legacy that Mayweather put together.

Conor is in a no lose situation, and can swing with reckless abandon.

Mayweather would be a fool to take this fight. He took down Pacaquio, that's the only cherry he needed to put on top of his career.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
McGregors the only Champ Champ. He pretty much wins this by default. Laughing Cool

Realistically, only three (possibly four) MMA fighters deserve to be in the discussion:

1. Anderson Silva - Pound for pound, best MMA fighter in history.

2. GSP - He was so far ahead of everyone in his division, fighters had to go up or down in weight class to ever get a chance. His knee injury is the only thing that held him back.

3. Ronda Rousey - Say what you will about her two losses; Her wins were clinics on how to destroy something with extreme efficiency. Her four title defenses took her less than one minute, combined. That's dominance.

Conor is on his way, but he's got to defend a title to hold a candle to the names above.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
McGregors the only Champ Champ. He pretty much wins this by default. Laughing Cool

Realistically, only three (possibly four) MMA fighters deserve to be in the discussion:

2. GSP - He was so far ahead of everyone in his division, fighters had to go up or down in weight class to ever get a chance. His knee injury is the only thing that held him back.

3. Ronda Rousey - Say what you will about her two losses; Her wins were clinics on how to destroy something with extreme efficiency. Her four title defenses took her less than one minute, combined. That's dominance.

Conor is on his way, but he's got to defend a title to hold a candle to the names above.

Rousey's level of competition wasn't nearly as high-quality as Silva or GSP.
fretgod99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

Rousey dominated some decent fighters, but she got obliterated in her last two fights. Like, pure embarrassment style obliterated. And it's not like she's past her prime, coming in attempting a comeback and gets hosed by the new, young fighter. She should be on top of her game and she got completely handled. And Holly Holm isn't even like an all-time great, either. She's a very good fighter who destroyed the supposedly unstoppable Rousey. Nunes, on the other hand, is a frickin' beast.

I like Rousey, so I'm not spouting hater-speech here. But she bought into her own hype and failed completely to significantly work on her stand-up game for the entire year she had off after she got rocked by Holm. She shouldn't be in the conversation. The others have a more legit argument.

Though it was fantastic to watch Silva go down while mugging like he did.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
I like Rousey, so I'm not spouting hater-speech here. But she bought into her own hype and failed completely to significantly work on her stand-up game for the entire year she had off after she got rocked by Holm. She shouldn't be in the conversation. The others have a more legit argument.

Though it was fantastic to watch Silva go down while mugging like he did.

I think this is something in all combat sports - when you buy into your own hype, you get crushed in this fashion. Silva, Rousey, Rampage, Lesnar - any of the big ticket guys that Dana pimped out saw a period of dominance, bought into their own persona, and got thumped by someone looking to prove a point. (Heck, even Conor tapped out vs Diaz...)

You can look at boxing as well and see this happen - Mike Tyson was a dominant force of nature who was technically proficient with power that a human shouldn't have in his fists. His legend grew, you saw him rely less on his technical skills and rely on the knockout power, then you see him get bamboozled by the likes of Buster Douglas.

I think it's just the nature of the sports - nobody nowadays is meant to stand at the top of the mountain forever, and when you start buying into your own press clippings, you're due to get crushed.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sports aren't created equally.

Brady, James, and Messi are the only acceptable answers. I'd go with Brady.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
I think it's just the nature of the sports - nobody nowadays is meant to stand at the top of the mountain forever, and when you start buying into your own press clippings, you're due to get crushed.

I could see after Connor gets hosed in the dog-and-pony show vs Mayweather, him losing against whoever challenges him in his first actual title defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: