Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Group Consensus Mock - Round 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should be the Steelers fourth round pick? (if these players were available)
Joshua Dobbs
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
D'Onta Freeman
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
ArDarius Stewart
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Amara Darboh
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Daeshon Hall
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Corn Elder
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Anthony Walker Jr.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Trey Hendrickson
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Kareem Hunt
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Samaje Perine
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Marlon Mack
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wayne Gallman
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Vince Biegel
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Josh Malone
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Connor Harris
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Damontae Kazee
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Dawuane Smoot
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ryan Switzer
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Chad Williams
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Isaiah Ford
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23

MDSteeler1971

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
jcm412 wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
jcm412 wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
waffles7 wrote:
Freeman easily for me.

I would say the same but he's no good at pass protection.

At first I thought Freeman, but why not get a starting WR in Stewart over a backup RB. Unless they don't plan to lock up Bell long term.

Yep, that's my thinking. Even though I do like Gallman as a backup to Bell. Coates with his fingers and Bryant with his situation, it just makes sense to add another really solid #2/#3 guy into the mix.

No number 2 RB who can hold the fort for a few games whenBell gets dinged...no long term deal for Bell as of now either.

It's time to shore up RB.

Can't argue with that. So who do you like?

With all the RBs on the board. One will be there at 5.

That's my thinking. One you've gotten this deep into the draft, RBs are dime a dozen IMO. I personally don't see much difference between Mack, Perrine, Hunt, Gallman, Foreman, McNichols, Connor, J. Williams...

Don't know about that. The later you get into the draft, the more careful you have to be imo. Bell has missed games every year he's been on the team. We saw what kind of disaster happened in the playoff game two years ago when we didn't have a RELIABLE RB to start. All the guys you mentioned have talent, but can they get it done on a moment's notice? Can they fill in for Bell without a big dropoff? I want a guy who is talented as a runner, pass catcher, blocker and pass protector and one who doesn't have a fumbling problem or is injury prone. This is a pretty decent group overall, but if you wait too long to grab one, you start to see more glaring weaknesses.

Ok, but out of that list of 8 RBs which RB is clearly superior to the rest? I personally think McNichols, whom is not in the poll, is the best of the rest but I don't think he's dramatically better than "insert Mid-RB here". The point being, take a position of lesser depth if it's logical to think one of these RBs will be available next pick.

I think that remains to be seen who is best, but I agree in theory that they are all in a similar range. It really depends what we as the Steelers braintrust want. More of a workhorse? better ball security? better speed? quickness? vision? etc. etc. My point is that as a decision maker, I would want to find the RIGHT guy that I think would be able to step in and provide DeAngelo type production from Game 1. I'd say there is a significant difference in Rd. 4 RBs and Rd. 7 RBs in their overall game and the ability to play "above the line" for a game or 3 as starter.

Agreed but not between Rd 4 and Rd 5. Not this year anyway. FWIW, I've been touting Yearby out of Miami. He can be had in Rd 7/UDFA. I guess I'm seeing something that's not there cause I think there is a great deal of potential in him.

Fair enough.

Yearby looks dynamic when he gets space to work in. Not sure he's the type of runner that will create that space out of nothing. He would certainly benefit from a good OLine like ours.

To your larger point, I think RB might be one of the most overlooked positions in draft. With guys like Arian Foster and Priest Holmes and that guy from the Redskins a few years ago, etc. there can be some gems in there that people don't pick up on. Maybe there are more facets/aspects to the position that are harder to evaluate as a player transitions to the NFL.

What scouts see in Yearby: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/joe-yearby?id=2558161
Chieferific

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDSteeler1971 wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
jcm412 wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
jcm412 wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
waffles7 wrote:
Freeman easily for me.

I would say the same but he's no good at pass protection.

At first I thought Freeman, but why not get a starting WR in Stewart over a backup RB. Unless they don't plan to lock up Bell long term.

Yep, that's my thinking. Even though I do like Gallman as a backup to Bell. Coates with his fingers and Bryant with his situation, it just makes sense to add another really solid #2/#3 guy into the mix.

No number 2 RB who can hold the fort for a few games whenBell gets dinged...no long term deal for Bell as of now either.

It's time to shore up RB.

Can't argue with that. So who do you like?

With all the RBs on the board. One will be there at 5.

That's my thinking. One you've gotten this deep into the draft, RBs are dime a dozen IMO. I personally don't see much difference between Mack, Perrine, Hunt, Gallman, Foreman, McNichols, Connor, J. Williams...

Don't know about that. The later you get into the draft, the more careful you have to be imo. Bell has missed games every year he's been on the team. We saw what kind of disaster happened in the playoff game two years ago when we didn't have a RELIABLE RB to start. All the guys you mentioned have talent, but can they get it done on a moment's notice? Can they fill in for Bell without a big dropoff? I want a guy who is talented as a runner, pass catcher, blocker and pass protector and one who doesn't have a fumbling problem or is injury prone. This is a pretty decent group overall, but if you wait too long to grab one, you start to see more glaring weaknesses.

Ok, but out of that list of 8 RBs which RB is clearly superior to the rest? I personally think McNichols, whom is not in the poll, is the best of the rest but I don't think he's dramatically better than "insert Mid-RB here". The point being, take a position of lesser depth if it's logical to think one of these RBs will be available next pick.

I think that remains to be seen who is best, but I agree in theory that they are all in a similar range. It really depends what we as the Steelers braintrust want. More of a workhorse? better ball security? better speed? quickness? vision? etc. etc. My point is that as a decision maker, I would want to find the RIGHT guy that I think would be able to step in and provide DeAngelo type production from Game 1. I'd say there is a significant difference in Rd. 4 RBs and Rd. 7 RBs in their overall game and the ability to play "above the line" for a game or 3 as starter.

Agreed but not between Rd 4 and Rd 5. Not this year anyway. FWIW, I've been touting Yearby out of Miami. He can be had in Rd 7/UDFA. I guess I'm seeing something that's not there cause I think there is a great deal of potential in him.

Fair enough.

Yearby looks dynamic when he gets space to work in. Not sure he's the type of runner that will create that space out of nothing. He would certainly benefit from a good OLine like ours.

To your larger point, I think RB might be one of the most overlooked positions in draft. With guys like Arian Foster and Priest Holmes and that guy from the Redskins a few years ago, etc. there can be some gems in there that people don't pick up on. Maybe there are more facets/aspects to the position that are harder to evaluate as a player transitions to the NFL.

What scouts see in Yearby: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/joe-yearby?id=2558161

Fairly accurate. He's a cut and go shifty guy. Most of his weaknesses can be coached out. Prolly not an every down back but we are talking about a potential UDFA that would be best suited in a COP role. "Plays at a fast pace and can process run lane development quickly. Has light, bounding feet that allow him to probe along the offensive line and dart in and out of would-be run lanes." Who does that sound like?

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart is exactly the type of WR this team lacks.

We need RB depth, but Id rather have Stewart than any of these backs.

Id rather have another pass rusher more, though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Stewart is exactly the type of WR this team lacks.

We need RB depth, but Id rather have Stewart than any of these backs.

Id rather have another pass rusher more, though.

And groupthink passed on Godwin earlier who's a better version of Stewart.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could get Kenny Golladay or Malachi Dupre here. I am a fan of Golladay.

6'4 218 4.50 - - 18 35 1/2 10'0" 4.15 7.00

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
warfelg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
I think you could get Kenny Golladay or Malachi Dupre here. I am a fan of Golladay.

6'4 218 4.50 - - 18 35 1/2 10'0" 4.15 7.00

I liked Dupre at one point but I've really cooled on him.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
kurgan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... tough round.

Hall has so many red flags. Elder is so slight and tiny. The running backs are deep. The receievers are not the ones that we 'target' normally. I really hate to take Dobbs.

I like Kazee, but I hate to double dip with CB this early.

I love Biegel. He is a grinder, but is limited.

Aww, hell... gimme Stewart. He will be someone to watch in Pitt, and he has a pedigree of winning.

armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers WR: AB, Martavis Bryant, Eli Rogers, DeMarcus Ayers, Sammie Coates, Marcus Tucker, Canaan Severin, Dez Stewart, Justin Hunter, Cobi Hamilton, and Darrius Heyward-Bey.

RBs: Juice, Kniles Davis, Fitzgerald Toussaint, Trey Williams, Dreamius Smith, Gus Johnson

Ardarius Stewart wouldn't be able to beat out most of those guys.

RB seems like it needs an upgrade. Davis and Williams are blazing fast. Toussaint can pass protect and seems like a nice receiver. Smith and Johnson are unknowns. I expect a RB to be drafted late, Steelers don't value the backup RB position and will overuse their starter til injuries kill their career.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Steelers WR: AB, Martavis Bryant, Eli Rogers, DeMarcus Ayers, Sammie Coates, Marcus Tucker, Canaan Severin, Dez Stewart, Justin Hunter, Cobi Hamilton, and Darrius Heyward-Bey.

RBs: Juice, Kniles Davis, Fitzgerald Toussaint, Trey Williams, Dreamius Smith, Gus Johnson

Ardarius Stewart wouldn't be able to beat out most of those guys.

RB seems like it needs an upgrade. Davis and Williams are blazing fast. Toussaint can pass protect and seems like a nice receiver. Smith and Johnson are unknowns. I expect a RB to be drafted late, Steelers don't value the backup RB position and will overuse their starter til injuries kill their career.

This is a big problem. Running RBs "until the wheels come off" is a stupid strategy. If Tomlin had been more prudent with his use of Bell during the season using a very capable DeAngelo, Bell might have been available for the Patriots game. And who knows, we might've gone and possibly won the SB. Find another guy who can spell Bell every game. Someone who can be trusted with 5 - 10 snaps/game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight race. We need one more vote to tip it. If it ends in a tie, I'll do a supplementary poll to decide it. (@3 pm EDT)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

I realize that I am probably the only one on this site that has seen every game of Samaje Perine. He is a beast that will be amazing in the NFL. He played most of the year with a sprained ankle that cost him a good deal of burst, but just look at his numbers. He is the strongest back in the draft and yet he ran a 4.66 at the combine and a 4.59 at his pro day. He blocks and he catches the ball. He is the Sooners all time career rushing record holder and had a single game total of 427 yards. The only back on this list that I may consider ahead of him would be Gallman, if we were looking for more speed.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With the 135th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Damontae Kazee, cornerback, San Diego State University."

After a contentious vote, we finally have a winner. Should make a good slot CB and add depth on the outside.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a recap is:
Rd 1 - Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
Rd 2 - Jordan Willis, OLB, KState
Rd 3 - Marcus Maye, S, Florida
Round 3C - Bucky Hodges, TE, VT
Round 4 - Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State

I'm sorry but if this is how the draft actually falls I think many of us would be unhappy. That's a triple dip into the secondary and the front 7 still remains a huge problem.

Hahahahaha.

JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
So a recap is:

I'm sorry but if this is how the draft actually falls I think many of us would be unhappy. That's a triple dip into the secondary and the front 7 still remains a huge problem.

You know it's funny, when someone else makes the picks, it's easy to criticize but when YOU have to make the picks, it is whole different animal. Interesting experiment so far.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
warfelg wrote:
So a recap is:

You know it's funny, when someone else makes the picks, it's easy to criticize but when YOU have to make the picks, it is whole different animal. Interesting experiment so far.

True. I have liked it because it has been interesting and the variety of ways people have voted.

Hahahahaha.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: