Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 years later, how do you feel about Lovie Smith's firing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForteOz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
IronMike summed it up best.

We tolerated it for far too long. The Bucs...sure they hired him. But didnt wait around as long as we did to get rid of him.

ForteOz wrote:
His time in TB proved he gave us his best years.

You guys do know the circumstances of what happened in Tampa right? Took a perrenial bottom dwelling team made them pretty good in 2 years and then Dirk Koetter forced his way into the HC slot. The bucs didn't fire Lovie bc he failed. They fired him bc Dirk Koetter is a POS human being.

Whoever's fault it was, his teams went 8-24 in those two years and he was out of the league after that.

Lovie is the best Bears head coach I have watched (little too young for Ditka) and I hold no ill will towards the guy. I don't see how saying 'he gave us his best years' is either unfair or untrue.
51to54

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
51to54 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
51to54 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Wow, I was just thinking about the Lovie Bears last night.

I'll keep it brief. While the offense was a big problem, Lovie's biggest flaw was that he was a conservative coach who would get even more conservative in big games.

Examples: Super Bowl XLI, Week 17 2008 (win-and-in @ HOU), 2011 NFC Championship.

It made Lovie happier than a pig in crap to lose a game having never taken a risk than to take a single chance and win. For all of the intelligence and discipline his team had, that's the reason why they were never champions.

That's my short answer on Lovie too. Even to the point of sticking with "their defensive scheme" when Steve Smith had been shredding us all day and the after an injury he puts a scrub DB one on one against Smith who burns him for like a 40 yard gain the first play.
Which scrub DB are you referring to? Charles "Peanut" Tillman or 2005 Probowl CB Nathan "The Interceptor" Vasher? Steve Smith smoked us that game, not for lack of game plan, but bc Steve Smith was that damn good that day. Steve Smith smoked a lot of teams since then too.

None of the above DBs. This part "...after an injury he (Lovie) puts a scrub DB one on one..." was to indicate that after the starter was out he puts a backup in with no reps out on an island against Smith.
As you noted, Steve Smith was good that day and smoked a lot of teams and Lovie not only doesn't adjust to Smith's hot day (13 targets, 12 catches, 218 yards, TDs of 58 and 39 yards), but then doubles down sticks with his defensive game plan and gets burned. Post game comments included the 'stick with our scheme' reason or something close to it.
Again I ask what scrub DB you are talking about? I'm asking for a name. And what gameplan was he supposed to come up with? He tried manning up Peanut on him, that didn't work, he tried going cover 2, that didn't work, he tried cover 3 that didn't work. What scheme was he supposed to employ? Sometimes there isn't a correct scheme to employ, players just have to play better. The whole "he doesn't adjust" line is an absolute load of crap. The defense was constantly making adjustments, that's how they remained a top 10 defense under Lovie for most of 10 years.

Dang. I went to the Pro Football reference website and checked and there is no section of Chicago Bear scrub DB's. I'm guessing that few other fans besides you are that focused on scrub DBs. Perhaps you are not familiar with what the term means? And of all the possible schemes you are asking what one to try I'd suggest and most likely most Pee Wee football coaches and up would suggest NOT putting a scrub DB who is getting his first rep of the game (as DB anyway) on an island one on one with a hot WR. Note, I did not call him out for Smith getting a lot of yards, but for how he decided to defend him after a starter went down for a couple of plays.
This play really stood out as during the post game interviews the coaches were specifically asked about this play and they replied "sticking to our scheme".
I respectfully suggest that your beef should be with Lovie's inflexibility and not my and the sports reporters after the game calling him out on it.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
51to54 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
51to54 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Wow, I was just thinking about the Lovie Bears last night.

I'll keep it brief. While the offense was a big problem, Lovie's biggest flaw was that he was a conservative coach who would get even more conservative in big games.

Examples: Super Bowl XLI, Week 17 2008 (win-and-in @ HOU), 2011 NFC Championship.

It made Lovie happier than a pig in crap to lose a game having never taken a risk than to take a single chance and win. For all of the intelligence and discipline his team had, that's the reason why they were never champions.

That's my short answer on Lovie too. Even to the point of sticking with "their defensive scheme" when Steve Smith had been shredding us all day and the after an injury he puts a scrub DB one on one against Smith who burns him for like a 40 yard gain the first play.
Which scrub DB are you referring to? Charles "Peanut" Tillman or 2005 Probowl CB Nathan "The Interceptor" Vasher? Steve Smith smoked us that game, not for lack of game plan, but bc Steve Smith was that damn good that day. Steve Smith smoked a lot of teams since then too.

None of the above DBs. This part "...after an injury he (Lovie) puts a scrub DB one on one..." was to indicate that after the starter was out he puts a backup in with no reps out on an island against Smith.
As you noted, Steve Smith was good that day and smoked a lot of teams and Lovie not only doesn't adjust to Smith's hot day (13 targets, 12 catches, 218 yards, TDs of 58 and 39 yards), but then doubles down sticks with his defensive game plan and gets burned. Post game comments included the 'stick with our scheme' reason or something close to it.
Again I ask what scrub DB you are talking about? I'm asking for a name. And what gameplan was he supposed to come up with? He tried manning up Peanut on him, that didn't work, he tried going cover 2, that didn't work, he tried cover 3 that didn't work. What scheme was he supposed to employ? Sometimes there isn't a correct scheme to employ, players just have to play better. The whole "he doesn't adjust" line is an absolute load of crap. The defense was constantly making adjustments, that's how they remained a top 10 defense under Lovie for most of 10 years.

Dang. I went to the Pro Football reference website and checked and there is no section of Chicago Bear scrub DB's. I'm guessing that few other fans besides you are that focused on scrub DBs. Perhaps you are not familiar with what the term means? And of all the possible schemes you are asking what one to try I'd suggest and most likely most Pee Wee football coaches and up would suggest NOT putting a scrub DB who is getting his first rep of the game (as DB anyway) on an island one on one with a hot WR. Note, I did not call him out for Smith getting a lot of yards, but for how he decided to defend him after a starter went down for a couple of plays.
This play really stood out as during the post game interviews the coaches were specifically asked about this play and they replied "sticking to our scheme".
I respectfully suggest that your beef should be with Lovie's inflexibility and not my and the sports reporters after the game calling him out on it.
If it was sticking to scheme, then that player wouldn't have been on an island, as the cover2 would put a safety over the top. I'm not focused on any scrub DB (or non scrub as I'm pretty sure I know which DB you're talking about) I'm asking you to prove your assertion that a) a scrub DB was on an island against Smith and gave up a 40 yard TD on the first play he was in, and b) it was sticking to scheme.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
BearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he was fired I was really sad. Thought it was a big mistake. However 5 years later I think more about firing Jerry Angelo and hiring Phil Emery than I do firing Lovie Smith.

Angelo has some good picks early on, but decisions made at the end of his tenure really set us back. Emery was downright awful. Even as a big Lovie fan, I am skeptical what he could have done with the lack luster talent he drafted.

From 2009-2012 we only had 2 first round draft picks. They were Gabe Carimi and Alshon Jeffery. When you don't add big talent, you are not going to get far. Since 2012 we have not had a single All Pro.

Drafting and finding talent explains what happened here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: