Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agent Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 53, 54, 55  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Wait a second. Pryor wanted to come to the Redskins and play with Kirk Cousins. DJ Swearinger wanted to play in DC also so he could be reunited with Josh Norman. If we had overpaid for a 31 year old Campbell, we probably could have signed him and if we were willing to give Hankins or Poe or Logan $10 million plus a year we could have had them. I'm sure we could have overpaid for Minter or another ILB to lock them up also.

Is that want everyone wants?

Next offseason we'll hopefully have to pay Breeland, Long, Moses and Murphy on long term deals because they will have earned it this season. Home grown talent that Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden drafted in 2014, I think we should keep that in mind. Wink

Never lose those burgundy colored glasses Turtle. Never.
You know what I'm saying is true, you all just want to be pessimistic because Scot is gone and you don't at the least have an open mind that we could have a successful season and re-sign Kirk long term without him.

I understand the skepticism given that Scot is gone but to not give Allen & Gruden a chance is a bit ridiculous. The thing is that we won't have a choice, the decision has been made so they're going to get their chance this offseason and season to improve on last year's record and there's nothing all the pessimists can do to stop that.

Of course we can't stop it. We don't own the team. What I AM in control of is what I believe in terms of Bruce's ability to field a competitive roster long term. That, I'm afraid, is not going to happen. His track record is not too good with me.
Thank god for Gruden! He sure overcame some of Scot's poor decisions in the draft and free agency in 2015 & 16 to have the team get two winning seasons in a row for the first time in 20 years. I believe Gruden can do it again despite Allen's ineptness. As far as Allen's ineptness goes thought, thank god for Doug Williams (who found Anthony Lanier), Scott Campbell and Alex Santos to Aldo build the roster as well 't.as our coaches; Gruden, Callahan, Manusky and Tomsula.

Except, so far, I don't have much to quibble about the last 2 drafts. And the FA pickups? A lot of the time, FA acquisitions fail to pan out. There are some that do. But IMHO, most don't
I find that questionable. If you were the GM?

1. DE Leonard Williams or Brandon Scherff?

We had this debate for months. You know where I came down on this. Do not act like Allen somehow would have taken Williams.

Quote:
2. NT Eddie Goldman or Preston Smith?

Eh, I was okay with Preston Smith because I didn't think Trent Murphy was the right pick. Yes, you can point to how Murphy had a breakout year and Smith stumbled badly in 2016, but that is looking backwards. In 2015, it was a surprising but understandable move given how out of place Murphy looked.

Quote:
3. Jeremy Langford or Matt Jones?

Probably would have gone Langford since Matt Jones was in the department of "who?" To be honest, I wasn't totally enamored with going RB there at all because we had Morris, but I think the decision to take a running back was due to Gruden wanting more of a pass catcher.

Quote:
4. Would you have traded for Dashon Goldson as GM?

Given the price in draft picks, I was absolutely willing to take a swing. The salary cap didn't bother me. We argued for this for months. Did it work out? Nope. Was it franchise destroying? No, we gave up a late 6th round pick for him (got a 7th back) in hopes it would work out. It didn't and we let him go. Still don't understand your problem with it, but let's not rehash it here because it will just be "agree to disagree" noise.

Quote:
5. Would you sign Jerron Johnson or Will Demps to as a stop gap to compete for a starting S?

Would have loved Will Demps ... but I don't recall him ever being an option. I saw Johnson as a low risk, low reward kind of pickup. I didn't have much faith that he would pan out, but it was a small deal, so I didn't really get all that upset about it.

Quote:
6. DE/DT Nick Fairley and NT Ahtyba Rubin or RJF and Potroast?

Again, same as Demps. I don't recall Fairley or Rubin ever expressing interest in coming here. It's nice to say "oh they could have signed THAT free agent" but again that ignores that the player has to WANT to come here.

Quote:
7. When you were saying who we should draft in 2016, were you saying Josh Doctson or best available defender - preferably DL?

I told you multiple times before the draft not to be surprised if they went wide receiver based on how mocks were lining up and that the defensive line talent we wanted wouldn't be there. Now, I believe I generally mentioned Laquon Treadwell because I didn't expect Josh Doctson to be there.

Again, I had no problem with the first three rounds of the 2016 draft. They went for talent. Where I had a problem was the fourth round last year when they completed traded out and allowed Andrew Billings to fall through. However, if you are going to complain about us signing Pot Roast because he was just a two-down run stuffer, you have to accept that they would pass up on drafting a two-down run stuffer.

Quote:
8. Sign Kendall Reyes or Nick Fairley again?

I did not like the Reyes signing (thought he was going to be a JAG sort of pickup), but AGAIN, you cannot say "well they picked Reyes over Fairley" if Fairley didn't want to come here.

Quote:
9. Pay for the pro bowl NT Damon Harrison or role with Kedric Golston?

I personally know Kedric. Nice guy. I would have totally gone with Damon Harrison. Problem is he didn't come here after getting the Brinks truck backed up in New York.

Quote:
10. Sign a 2nd career back up - like Jerron Johnson in 2015 - to be your new starting SS - David Bruton - instead of playing Sua Cravens your rookie SS you just drafted there or spending on a pro bowl caliber S with the money you did have on Tashaun Gipson, Rodney McLeod, Reggie Nelson or Tayvon Branch?

I put Bruton in the same camp as Johnson: low risk, low reward. I didn't have much faith in either gentleman. But was I upset that they made the play? No. It was a low probability gamble that didn't pay off.

Not playing Cravens at safety was a coaching call. You know, the one that belonged to Joe Barry (and Perry Fewell)? So, I'm not sure how you can blame that on Scot, or even Allen for that matter.

As for the rest: show me anything that showed those players were interested in coming to DC. Would I have loved to see them in burgundy and gold? Sure, though I would be worried that they would bomb out as free agent safeties tend to. But to say we passed on them because they went elsewhere is misleading if they didn't want to come here in the first place.

Quote:
11. Would you Not re-sign Alfred Morris because you're convinced that Matt Jones is the next Marshawn Lynch or Frank Gore?

I bemoaned this decision, but even I said that it was mainly due to a change from our ZBS (where Morris flourished) to a PBS (where he wasn't as strong). I think the decision to let him walk was in part the front office and in part in Gruden's hands. Morris never was thought of as a pass catcher, which is more what Jay wanted.

Quote:
I mean, let's be honest here folks, NOT biased because of one man's reputation.

Let's be honest here then: most of these complaints were out of McCloughan's hands entirely or decisions that you don't like, but I was okay with because they were for the long term health of the franchise. Were there things I was upset about? Sure (see: letting Morris walk, and not picking up Billings). I understand why they did them, though (admittedly, with Billings, I needed to step back for awhile and then after I cooled down tried to understand why).
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd be very smart for us to go defense this year . As much as I want a running back at #17 I think upgrading the DL and CB/ILB is very important he'll even drafting a elite prospect OlB would be amazing.

That being said I want the redskins to sign Blount .. he had a healthy year and had damn near multiple touchdowns . He is our endzone answer and short goal answer he can be a 850-900 -10 touchdown RB for us and that's good considering that we throw a lot.
Woz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
I think it'd be very smart for us to go defense this year . As much as I want a running back at #17 I think upgrading the DL and CB/ILB is very important he'll even drafting a elite prospect OlB would be amazing.

That being said I want the redskins to sign Blount .. he had a healthy year and had damn near multiple touchdowns . He is our endzone answer and short goal answer he can be a 850-900 -10 touchdown RB for us and that's good considering that we throw a lot.

*shrugs* I don't see us going after Blount. Not much of a pass catcher.
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Dashing wrote:

He doesn't have to be we got Thompson . Blount can easily be our best back and move the chains .
Woz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
Woz wrote:
Dashing wrote:

He doesn't have to be we got Thompson . Blount can easily be our best back and move the chains .

*shrugs* Eh, okay. Kind of feels like going out and getting a guy simply because we feel we need to go out and get a guy.

And while he's been relatively clean off-field-wise for the past couple of years, I'm not so sure we want to bring in a guy who is not what we call the best influence in the locker room (punching guys (not just in college), weed arrest, leaving the field before the game was over). Even when he was with the Patriots in his multiple stints, they never made him the lead back. He has started more than 8 games only once in his career.
Woz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From DraftTek's April 5th Combined Mock Draft, pick #56 (Oakland, discussing the selection of Dalvin Tomlinson):

Quote:
I would argue that no loss this offseason hits the Raiders harder than Stacy McGee's departure.

Okay, maybe he's better than I thought. Or ...

Quote:
His 2.5 sacks were good enough to tie for third on the team (a problem in and of itself), and he might have been the best DT on the roster (yes, another problem).

... maybe not.

turtle28, if you are wondering why Raiders fans were possibly upset about McGee leaving, this might explain why. It's the same way that Will Compton was our best inside linebacker last year.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
From DraftTek's April 5th Combined Mock Draft, pick #56 (Oakland, discussing the selection of Dalvin Tomlinson):

Quote:
I would argue that no loss this offseason hits the Raiders harder than Stacy McGee's departure.

Okay, maybe he's better than I thought. Or ...

Quote:
His 2.5 sacks were good enough to tie for third on the team (a problem in and of itself), and he might have been the best DT on the roster (yes, another problem).

... maybe not.

turtle28, if you are wondering why Raiders fans were possibly upset about McGee leaving, this might explain why. It's the same way that Will Compton was our best inside linebacker last year.
Difference between Compton and McGee is McGee only played 1/2 a year. McGee showed a lot of potential and I think they missed him when he got hurt. He's a good run defender.

If you want to see beat reporters who say a team is going to miss a player, go read some articles about McClain leaving the Cowboys defense and see how much everyone thinks they're going to miss him.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnathan Hankins and Gerald Hodges still remain free agents. I wonder if we don't get to draft the DL we want or the ILB we want in the first two rounds of the draft if we sign either of these guys if they are still available after the draft.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnathan Hankins left the Colts without a contract.

‪Hankins to Colts not looking likely... so you're telling me there's a chance? Come on Bruce! Lock him up!

http://indy.st/2opBV7D‬

And we could beat the giants offer and sign Hankins rather easily:

The Giants offer for Hankins is 4 yrs, $28M, via the Ny Post. Skins should do 4 yrs 4 for $32M nyp.st/2nGnGy4 via @nypostsports

Skins could cut Lauvao to make room for Hankins and then in the draft take Lamp in round 1 or Dion Dawkins or Dan Feeny in round 2 to compete with Kouandjio for the starting LG spot.

Aldo, Ego Ferguson worked out for the Packers but failed their physical. Today Ferguson worked out for the Raiders. I really think we should bring these guys in. I'm still thinking that if they are available after the draft and we don't get a few DL that we really like that we will sign one of them, or both. It certainly doesn't hurt to work out Ferguson, he's going to be cheap. So, like with Hood last year and Taylor this year if they are are healthy, anything they give you is gravy. Signing Ferguson would be a low risk possibly high reward signing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fanragsports.com/news/report-raiders-work-dt-ego-ferguson/amp/

Quote:
Fergusonís three-year stint with the Chicago Bears came to a screeching halt when the club released him on the final day of March. In an attempt to poach a player from a divisional rival, the Green Bay Packers claimed the tackle off waivers just four days following his release from the Windy City. Two days after finding a new home, Ferguson was ousted from the Packers after he failed a physical.

Ferguson was ruled out for the entire 2016 season after he suffered a shoulder injury during the preseason. Prior to his release from the Bears, the club put him on injured reserve.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

‪Raiders release Dan Williams!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/18/raiders-release-dan-williams/ via @ProFootballTalk‬

Redskins should sign him to be their base 3-4 NT, and short yardage NT. He wouldn't be used that much, maybe 1/3 of the game. They need someone his size in the middle to keep OL off of our ILBs in the run game.

MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/18/raiders-release-dan-williams/ via @ProFootballTalk‬

Redskins should sign him to be their base 3-4 NT, and short yardage NT. He wouldn't be used that much, maybe 1/3 of the game. They need someone his size in the middle to keep OL off of our ILBs in the run game.
Dude had 11 tackles in 15 games last season. After starting 11 games he was benched. I'd rather give a hungry rookie those reps.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Dude had 11 tackles in 15 games last season. After starting 11 games he was benched. I'd rather give a hungry rookie those reps.
True, me too. Wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a looksie though. Maybe Jimmy can get something out of him that the Raiders couldn't.

Doc Draper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Wait a second. Pryor wanted to come to the Redskins and play with Kirk Cousins. DJ Swearinger wanted to play in DC also so he could be reunited with Josh Norman. If we had overpaid for a 31 year old Campbell, we probably could have signed him and if we were willing to give Hankins or Poe or Logan $10 million plus a year we could have had them. I'm sure we could have overpaid for Minter or another ILB to lock them up also.

Is that want everyone wants?

Next offseason we'll hopefully have to pay Breeland, Long, Moses and Murphy on long term deals because they will have earned it this season. Home grown talent that Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden drafted in 2014, I think we should keep that in mind. Wink

Never lose those burgundy colored glasses Turtle. Never.
You know what I'm saying is true, you all just want to be pessimistic because Scot is gone and you don't at the least have an open mind that we could have a successful season and re-sign Kirk long term without him.

I understand the skepticism given that Scot is gone but to not give Allen & Gruden a chance is a bit ridiculous. The thing is that we won't have a choice, the decision has been made so they're going to get their chance this offseason and season to improve on last year's record and there's nothing all the pessimists can do to stop that.

Of course we can't stop it. We don't own the team. What I AM in control of is what I believe in terms of Bruce's ability to field a competitive roster long term. That, I'm afraid, is not going to happen. His track record is not too good with me.
Thank god for Gruden! He sure overcame some of Scot's poor decisions in the draft and free agency in 2015 & 16 to have the team get two winning seasons in a row for the first time in 20 years. I believe Gruden can do it again despite Allen's ineptness. As far as Allen's ineptness goes thought, thank god for Doug Williams (who found Anthony Lanier), Scott Campbell and Alex Santos to Aldo build the roster as well 't.as our coaches; Gruden, Callahan, Manusky and Tomsula.

Except, so far, I don't have much to quibble about the last 2 drafts. And the FA pickups? A lot of the time, FA acquisitions fail to pan out. There are some that do. But IMHO, most don't
I find that questionable. If you were the GM?

1. DE Leonard Williams or Brandon Scherff?

We had this debate for months. You know where I came down on this. Do not act like Allen somehow would have taken Williams.

Quote:
2. NT Eddie Goldman or Preston Smith?

Eh, I was okay with Preston Smith because I didn't think Trent Murphy was the right pick. Yes, you can point to how Murphy had a breakout year and Smith stumbled badly in 2016, but that is looking backwards. In 2015, it was a surprising but understandable move given how out of place Murphy looked.

Quote:
3. Jeremy Langford or Matt Jones?

Probably would have gone Langford since Matt Jones was in the department of "who?" To be honest, I wasn't totally enamored with going RB there at all because we had Morris, but I think the decision to take a running back was due to Gruden wanting more of a pass catcher.

Quote:
4. Would you have traded for Dashon Goldson as GM?

Given the price in draft picks, I was absolutely willing to take a swing. The salary cap didn't bother me. We argued for this for months. Did it work out? Nope. Was it franchise destroying? No, we gave up a late 6th round pick for him (got a 7th back) in hopes it would work out. It didn't and we let him go. Still don't understand your problem with it, but let's not rehash it here because it will just be "agree to disagree" noise.

Quote:
5. Would you sign Jerron Johnson or Will Demps to as a stop gap to compete for a starting S?

Would have loved Will Demps ... but I don't recall him ever being an option. I saw Johnson as a low risk, low reward kind of pickup. I didn't have much faith that he would pan out, but it was a small deal, so I didn't really get all that upset about it.

Quote:
6. DE/DT Nick Fairley and NT Ahtyba Rubin or RJF and Potroast?

Again, same as Demps. I don't recall Fairley or Rubin ever expressing interest in coming here. It's nice to say "oh they could have signed THAT free agent" but again that ignores that the player has to WANT to come here.

Quote:
7. When you were saying who we should draft in 2016, were you saying Josh Doctson or best available defender - preferably DL?

I told you multiple times before the draft not to be surprised if they went wide receiver based on how mocks were lining up and that the defensive line talent we wanted wouldn't be there. Now, I believe I generally mentioned Laquon Treadwell because I didn't expect Josh Doctson to be there.

Again, I had no problem with the first three rounds of the 2016 draft. They went for talent. Where I had a problem was the fourth round last year when they completed traded out and allowed Andrew Billings to fall through. However, if you are going to complain about us signing Pot Roast because he was just a two-down run stuffer, you have to accept that they would pass up on drafting a two-down run stuffer.

Quote:
8. Sign Kendall Reyes or Nick Fairley again?

I did not like the Reyes signing (thought he was going to be a JAG sort of pickup), but AGAIN, you cannot say "well they picked Reyes over Fairley" if Fairley didn't want to come here.

Quote:
9. Pay for the pro bowl NT Damon Harrison or role with Kedric Golston?

I personally know Kedric. Nice guy. I would have totally gone with Damon Harrison. Problem is he didn't come here after getting the Brinks truck backed up in New York.

Quote:
10. Sign a 2nd career back up - like Jerron Johnson in 2015 - to be your new starting SS - David Bruton - instead of playing Sua Cravens your rookie SS you just drafted there or spending on a pro bowl caliber S with the money you did have on Tashaun Gipson, Rodney McLeod, Reggie Nelson or Tayvon Branch?

I put Bruton in the same camp as Johnson: low risk, low reward. I didn't have much faith in either gentleman. But was I upset that they made the play? No. It was a low probability gamble that didn't pay off.

Not playing Cravens at safety was a coaching call. You know, the one that belonged to Joe Barry (and Perry Fewell)? So, I'm not sure how you can blame that on Scot, or even Allen for that matter.

As for the rest: show me anything that showed those players were interested in coming to DC. Would I have loved to see them in burgundy and gold? Sure, though I would be worried that they would bomb out as free agent safeties tend to. But to say we passed on them because they went elsewhere is misleading if they didn't want to come here in the first place.

Quote:
11. Would you Not re-sign Alfred Morris because you're convinced that Matt Jones is the next Marshawn Lynch or Frank Gore?

I bemoaned this decision, but even I said that it was mainly due to a change from our ZBS (where Morris flourished) to a PBS (where he wasn't as strong). I think the decision to let him walk was in part the front office and in part in Gruden's hands. Morris never was thought of as a pass catcher, which is more what Jay wanted.

Quote:
I mean, let's be honest here folks, NOT biased because of one man's reputation.

Let's be honest here then: most of these complaints were out of McCloughan's hands entirely or decisions that you don't like, but I was okay with because they were for the long term health of the franchise. Were there things I was upset about? Sure (see: letting Morris walk, and not picking up Billings). I understand why they did them, though (admittedly, with Billings, I needed to step back for awhile and then after I cooled down tried to understand why).

words won't express how this post makes me feel

Doc Draper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

No Thanks. He's ready for a new career as a dancer anyway
Woz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

True, me too. Wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a looksie though. Maybe Jimmy can get something out of him that the Raiders couldn't.

At this point, teams and Williams are waiting to see what happens post-draft/minicamps. Likely he'll get picked up early in training camp (provided he stays in shape). Whether it is here or not, I don't know

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 54 of 55

Jump to: