Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What I Think the Bears Will Do [2 Weeks Out]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: What I Think the Bears Will Do [2 Weeks Out] Reply with quote

1[1] Cleveland Browns: DE Myles Garrett [Texas A&M]
1[2] San Francisco 49ers: DE Solomon Thomas [Stanford]​

*As much as the Bears may want to pull the trigger on a QB, I think it will be too hard for them to pass on the blue chip defensive talent that is available. I could be wrong, but Mike Freeman's scouts's take article makes me think that they want to ensure they get one of the top 2-3 players in the draft.

1[3] S Jamal Adams [LSU] 6' 212lbs, 4.41 [40], 18 reps, 31.5" vert, 10' broad

I really do not think the Bears are going to swing at a QB at 3. Whether it is a true belief in Glennon, which sounds stupid, or they do not think the QBs in this draft are worthy of taking at 3 I do not see it happening. That leaves the Bears picking from some blue chip defensive prospects, which they desperately need as well. I am sure that Garrett and Thomas top their boards, but they have been picked. Safety at 3 is very high, but the Bears safety position has been a nuclear wasteland for a decade and Fangio has always invested more in the safety spot than at CB. Adams is a stud he can do pretty much anything you can ask of a safety. He is force against the run, he is good in man coverage and his intangibles and leadership are off the charts. From day 1 Adams can step in and be a force in a secondary that has lacked swagger and identity for years. Adams steps in and turns the biggest weakness on the team into a strength the minute the card is dropped off.

*I think this is ideally the pick that the Bear want to spend at QB, but I really think Greg Gabriel is correct when he says 4 of these guys are going in the 1st round and higher than we think. Mel Kiper has joined the club with 4 QBs going in his top 25 picks. This means that the Bears would need to trade up, which will cost the 2nd and 3rd round picks as a starting point and that is if the QB they like falls. I means the bright side is that some serious TE and DB talent should be available.

2[36] TE Evan Engram [Ole Miss] 6'3" 234lbs, 4.42 [20], 36" vert, 19 reps, 10'5" broad

If you listen to Pace and Fox they have talked a lot about playmakers and speed. Engram brings both of those things to the table and would add a huge mismatch weapon to the Bears offense. The Bears miss on the top 4 Qbs so they need to invest in the success of Mike Glennon. Engram has the size to be a huge problem for CBs and he has speed to be problem for safeties and an impossible cover for LBs. Engram had 8 plays over 35 yards this season more than double any other top ranked TE. Engram is not a dominant blocker, but he will give you a solid effort and he can be an absolute monster in the middle of the field.

*We have reached the point where I do not see the QB value being worth anything. I think Webb and Peterman will be gone, if one of them hits the pick they could see a QB here, but I doubt it. Pace in 2 drafts has used this pick to add to the trenches and I think he makes another lunch pale pick, hoping that this player looks better than Grasu and Bullard early.

3[67] DE Dalvin Tomlinson [Alabama] 6'3" 310lbs, 5.19 [40], 27" vert, 9'3" broad

The Bears were not good enough against the run, they have no DL depth, and they are an Eddie Goldman injury away from being in trouble again. Tomlinson comes in and fixes a number of problems for the Bears. Tomlinson can play early downs at RE, allowing Bullard to play more on passing downs where he has a better chance of success, giving the Bears more size and power on base downs. Tomlinson can rotate in at NT and allow Goldman to be kept fresher and hopefully healthier. He can also give the Bears an extra body that can keep Akiem Hicks fresher for passing downs. With 33.5" arms he has the length that the Bears prefer and while he does not provide a ton of pass rush, the Bears really need someone with a lunch pale and hard hat to play running downs.

*I truly believe that the Bears are going to add a QB at some point so that Ryan Pace can at least face the media and say that they did it. If Pace goes 3 years without adding a single QB in the draft I would expect the sound bite of him saying draft a QB every year to be played over and over again. They will add a young QB, I do not think it will be in the 4th round as this draft is deep enough that the 4th round could be a strong spot of the draft.

4[111] CB Rasual Douglas [West Virginia] 6'2" 209lbs, 4.59 [40], 33.5" vert, 16 reps, 10' broad

Douglas has a good year, a good Senior Bowl, and then not a great combine, which means he should be available for the Bears in the early 4th round. Douglas has incredible size and length for the CB position and he is a physical press CB that can tackle, which is a must in the Fangio system. Douglas did not run well, but I think on tape he plays faster than the time. The Bears coached Douglas at the Senior Bowl so they have some insight on his ability within the system. Douglas does not need to start this season, he needs to backup Cooper and develop to compete in 2018. But with the health issues that destroyed the secondary last season the Bears need to insure that they are not going to the street to sign CBs.

4[117] WR Kenny Golladay [Northern Illinois] 6'4" 218lbs, 4.5 [40], 18 reps, 35.5", 10' broad

The Bears are thin on outside WRs with size, which is a massive problem when one of your starters is Kevin White who has played in 12% of his NFL games. The Bears need to have options for when White gets injured again. Every single rep that Josh Bellamy takes is a wasted development opportunity for someone. Golladay has great size, great athletic ability, and needs some coaching and experience at a higher level of football. The physical tools are there for Golladay to be a starting NFL WR and at a minimum he gives them a big body for special teams in 2017.

5[147] QB Jerod Evans [Virginia Tech] 6'3" 232lbs, 4.8 [40, 26.5" vert, 9'4" broad

I do believe the Bears are going to add a QB at some point in the draft, almost so they can say that they did. On day 3 they should just look for a QB with an interesting physical skill set, which Evans has. Evans has a ton of physical tools, but needs an incredible amount of polish. Evans is probably a 2-3 year project and the Bears might as well let someone with more physical talent than Shaw take the scout team reps and see if they can find a diamond in the rough.

7[220] OT Jerry Ugokwe [Williams and Mary] 6'7" 321lbs, 5.61 [40], 18 reps, 26" vert,

This is a long shot, but the Bears need to have more options at OT and they need to look at developing a player that could potentially replace Leno if he is injured or leaves in FA. Qgokwe has NFL length and size, but he needs a ton of refinement and probably some times on the practice squad. The Bears can develop him in 2017 and hopefully have a player that can enter the competition in 2018.

Depth Chart

QB: Glennon, Sanchez, Evans
RB: Howard, Langford, Carey, Cunningham
WR: Meredith, White, Wheaton, Wright, Golladay
TE: Sims, Miller, Engram, Brown
LT: Leno, Ugokwe[PR]
LG: Sitton, Kush
C: Whitehair, Grasu
RG: Long
RT: Massie, Compton

RE: Tomlinson, Bullard
NT: Goldman, Jenkins
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Young
ILB: Freeman, Timu
ILB: Trevathan, Kwaitowski, Anderson
OLB: McPhee, Houston, Robertson-Harris,
CB: Amukamara, Cooper, Fuller, Douglas, Callahan, Leblanc
FS: Demps, Hall, Amos
SS: Adams, Bush
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evans blows. Otherwise I'm good with this
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:

Pretty much every QB picked that late does.

I just cannot see Pace striding to the podium and talking about ignoring the QB position again, would be a terrible PR move.
RunningVaccs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This feels like the future. I feel they're going to grab Peterman or Webb just so they can at least try for a QB.

I hate this draft so much, but feel it's more likely than your other one, which would have me singing.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:

Pretty much every QB picked that late does.

I just cannot see Pace striding to the podium and talking about ignoring the QB position again, would be a terrible PR move.

Then swap QB and DE.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I don't like mocks, but I really like this.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

It is the slow and steady approach. This is another brick in the wall.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Yeah, I don't know that it adds stars, but it adds solid options from top to bottom. The only pick I don't like is Evans from VA Tech. I love every other pick.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

If the goal is get John Fox and Ryan Pace fired then this is the one to do it, bc I don't see an add'l 4 wins there to sell.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
bkokot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

If the goal is get John Fox and Ryan Pace fired then this is the one to do it, bc I don't see an add'l 4 wins there to sell.

Is there any draft that adds 4 wins next season? Serious Question.

2013 Bears Forum Pick'em Champion
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Is there any draft that adds 4 wins next season? Serious Question.
No there isn't, which is why you don't draft to save John Fox's job, you draft for the best of the future of the Bears.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: