Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 55, 56, 57  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broncofan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
Ben Allbright says that talk has heated up for Denver sending a pick to dallas for Tony Romo. He'd get paid the vet minimum for the deal and the rest in signing bonuses.

I would hate the move but it looks inevitable.

Allbright was just rehashing the AM 1340 scenario laid out in the AM, which was almost all speculation. Renck confirmed yesterday there's no trade scenario.

Frankly if Romo was willing to renegotiate his deal to a min wage salary HOU would have already pulled the trigger - HOU can afford his 2017 salary, but his 2018 salary is 19M - and if HOU is going in on Romo, they're likely thinking 2 seasons - so not only do they want to cut Romo's risk for 2017 given he hasn't played a whole year since 2014, but they definitely need to have Romo cut his 2018 salary number to a much lower with in-game bonuses.

This rumor came out the same time as the Romo-to-broadcast-booth rumors also leaked. Completely different angles, but same goal - to try and get a prospective buyer to up the ante. There is no coincidence this rumor and the broadcast stories came out just before the owners' meeting. It's DAL's attempt to leverage other teams - DAL wants to create a DEN vs. HOU showdown. HOU's got 10M more, and unlike us, no actual penciled in QB, and unlike us, no other priorities left they're still pursuing (LT & run D on our end). It's just a staredown between HOU & DAL.

Trying to get us back into the trade sweepstakes is smart PR on DAL's end. But until Renck or Klis confirm there's actual trade talk, IMO I'd consider anything from national writers as smoke...they call this time of year the lying season for good reason.
medisback

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Maualuga released by Cincy, any thoughts on a vet minimum contract to add some leadership with Ware's retirement. I saw numbers dip but haven't seen him play in a few years. I appreciate insight from the forum.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medisback wrote:
With Maualuga released by Cincy, any thoughts on a vet minimum contract to add some leadership with Ware's retirement. I saw numbers dip but haven't seen him play in a few years. I appreciate insight from the forum.

Even at vet min wage, I'd pass. He's never been better than average at his peak, and the last 2 years, his play has really declined - PFF had him as the 3rd worst starting ILB. There are reasons why players can have misleading stats like that...but watching him play, he looked like the mileage had just caught up to him.

Frankly, if we aren't going to get FA LB, the draft has much better prospects, and they'll be just as, if not cheaper, given the ILB's after Foster & Reddick (I have to assume they will be gone before 1.20) will go in Rds 2-4. ILB is the one position where a rookie can contribute in Year 1, the learning curve isn't nearly as complex as other positions.

If we are thinking FA, Zach Brown's 2H of his 2016 season must be depressing his market - he was a breakout guy in 2015, and 1H 2016, but then had an awful 2H. He & his agent priced themselves out of the early market and I'd be he's going to look for a 1-year prove-it deal to re-enter the market next year. Something like 1 yr/4M might get it done. If Brown is willing to wait until after the draft to sign, then by then the $ we're likely setting aside to see if we can get a LT will either be free, or it won't, but if we still have $ left over from the draft and have our LT in tow, then Brown is a FA possibility. Others have mentioned him, he'd be a great fit.

An easy "no thanks" on Maualaga - hopefully Joseph isn't overly loyal to his CIN days that he takes Maualaga on. While it can be argued that a vet min contract is cheap and adds no risk, if it makes us think we don't need to draft one of the top 5 ILB guys, or take a look at Brown if we have the $ (again, LT comes first, so doubtful we look until after draft is done and see where we are at), then it's a lost opportunity cost. And this is a great ILB draft class at the top 5-6, but only 2 (Foster & Reddick) are locks for Rd 1, so worth keeping an eye on.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were Elway, I would trade a 2nd to get Trevethan back.
Counselor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
If I were Elway, I would trade a 2nd to get Trevethan back.

Heck no not after another knee injury. He ruptured a tendon.

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember if it was at the Combine or after one of the free agent signings but I've heard Vance say he really, really likes Todd Davis. I think those of us (myself included) who thought ILB is a need are not on the same page as the coaching staff.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I don't remember if it was at the Combine or after one of the free agent signings but I've heard Vance say he really, really likes Todd Davis. I think those of us (myself included) who thought ILB is a need are not on the same page as the coaching staff.
I didn't want to put a second round tender on him. Was fine with him getting paid somewhere.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's been much speculation that we're looking to trade a pick for Jason Peters. If it's any pick of significance I think Elway dropped the ball not signing Whitworth.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
BullsandBroncos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we'd try for Johnathan Hankins.

I'm right about LeBron regressing. Blasphemy to suggest his stats wouldn't improve & was a worse defender. My prediction that turned out true.
I think you're schizophrenic. Seek help.
grizmo78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BullsandBroncos wrote:
I wish we'd try for Johnathan Hankins.

Same, but unfortunately it really doesn't seem like we have much salary cap left :/
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
there's been much speculation that we're looking to trade a pick for Jason Peters. If it's any pick of significance I think Elway dropped the ball not signing Whitworth.

I seriously doubt we're going to trade anything of significance for Peters, personally.

Thanks, Tzimisce
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raiders just released NT Dan Williams:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/18/raiders-release-dan-williams/
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs released Jaye Howard. That would be a really good pick up.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:
Chiefs released Jaye Howard. That would be a really good pick up.

Absolutely. If the Chiefs weren't in cap hell he'd likely still be there. They released him given their DL depth but more because any $ he gets back they get back from their cap. They are really tight against the cap - they only have 1.1M in space, and basically need to clear at least 2-3M more to get their rookies signed. Howard is literally one of the few guys they can cut without hurting a key spot, with Allen Bailey and Chris Jones at DE, Bennie Logan at NT still there. And he'd likely get a good part of the 2.5M salary they had for him that's still on their books, but any $ he gets signed to increases their cap room. Pretty desperate move, because there is no way he'd get released if they didn't need the $.

Won't help much in pass rush but actually really good against the run. Rated 2nd in run D stop percentage for all 3-4 DE's by PFF last year (limited snaps, but that's still impressive). He's a perfect 3-4 DE fit for our 2017 needs. Especially cheap, he shouldn't cost more than the 2.5M, maybe even less. I just finished posting that in the SB needs thread. Great call.

Different position but FA wise this feels like the Eagles releasing Evan Mathis in 2015. A real gift to address run D if Elway can bring him into the fold.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jaye Howard is a slam dunk pickup if we can land him. He's a guy who absolutely won't sign till after the draft, but if Denver doesn't land talent they want (if they want DL talent), I hope Elway is calling his agent immediately.

Thanks, Tzimisce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 56 of 57

Jump to: