Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If I were the GM Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis Delmas26

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: If I were the GM Mock Reply with quote

This is my mock draft which is realistically what I would draft if I was the GM of the Detroit Lions.

Round 1 Pick 21 - Jabrill Pepper, SS, Michigan - simply an athlete. Would instantly step in as our starting SS, could move down to Dime LB and would be an upgrade in the return game. His coverage concerns are overrated to me, he was a 5 star CB coming out of high school. A steal here.

Round 2 Pick 21 - Zach Cunningham, MLB, Vanderbilt - A tackling machine. He reminds me of Patick Willis a lot, playing for a poor team in the SEC and tackling everything in sight. He should be our starting MLB from Day 1 and would allow Tahir Whitehead to move to OLB.

Round 3 Pick 21 - Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma - In my opinion, has top 15 talent, but the off-field issues are a concern. I believe in second chances and reports have said everyone at OU loves him and has great things to say about him. Instantly our best RB.

Round 4 Pick 21 - Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan - Once again, a character concern has dropped him, but an elite coverage corner who could play slot for us instantly. Would also love Shaquill Griffin from UCF here as well.

Round 5 Pick 21 - Dawaune Smoot, DE, Illinois - A productive DE who can be play opposite of Ziggy Ansah. Reminds me a lot of Jason Jones.

Round 6 Pick 21 - Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma - A very inconsistent DT, but when he plays well he is disruptive. Great value here.

Round 6 Pick 31 - Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee - A great speed, size combo WR who needs to learn some route running, but could be a good contributor.

Round 7 Pick 32 - Sefo Liufau, QB, Colorado - Looked great this year for Colorado. Could provide some competition for Jake Ruddock for the #2 QB job or at least make the practice squad.

What do you guys think?
ManeLine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks are all wishful, but I would welcome this haul.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
I think the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks are all wishful, but I would welcome this haul.

I thought so as well at first, but usually MLB fall. And I've seen Lewis going as late as the 6th now with the domestic abuse case he is facing. I originally had him as a 2nd rounder.
honolulu2786

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though i don't see it, id be COMPLETELY on board with this draft.

thanks to BigBadLion20 for the (FOURTH) sick sig!
Lions017

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see Cunningham falling. From what I've heard there are some teams that really don't like him all that much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats too high for Peppers for us. If we had a better front, I could see the impact he could make.

I think thats a very realistic spot for Mixon. I see him going somewhere in the middle of the 3rd, to possibly the 4th.

The QB from Colorado is just garbage. He wont challenge Ruddock, in my humble opinion.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
CutParisLenon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: If I were the GM Mock Reply with quote

Louis Delmas26 wrote:
This is my mock draft which is realistically what I would draft if I was the GM of the Detroit Lions.

Round 1 Pick 21 - Jabrill Pepper, SS, Michigan - simply an athlete. Would instantly step in as our starting SS, could move down to Dime LB and would be an upgrade in the return game. His coverage concerns are overrated to me, he was a 5 star CB coming out of high school. A steal here.

Round 2 Pick 21 - Zach Cunningham, MLB, Vanderbilt - A tackling machine. He reminds me of Patick Willis a lot, playing for a poor team in the SEC and tackling everything in sight. He should be our starting MLB from Day 1 and would allow Tahir Whitehead to move to OLB.

Round 3 Pick 21 - Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma - In my opinion, has top 15 talent, but the off-field issues are a concern. I believe in second chances and reports have said everyone at OU loves him and has great things to say about him. Instantly our best RB.

Round 4 Pick 21 - Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan - Once again, a character concern has dropped him, but an elite coverage corner who could play slot for us instantly. Would also love Shaquill Griffin from UCF here as well.

Round 5 Pick 21 - Dawaune Smoot, DE, Illinois - A productive DE who can be play opposite of Ziggy Ansah. Reminds me a lot of Jason Jones.

Round 6 Pick 21 - Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma - A very inconsistent DT, but when he plays well he is disruptive. Great value here.

Round 6 Pick 31 - Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee - A great speed, size combo WR who needs to learn some route running, but could be a good contributor.

Round 7 Pick 32 - Sefo Liufau, QB, Colorado - Looked great this year for Colorado. Could provide some competition for Jake Ruddock for the #2 QB job or at least make the practice squad.

What do you guys think?

I hate Peppers at 21. The guy did not produce as a defensive player in school, or at least not at the level you would like to see out of a first round pick. I think this has more to do with how UM used him and I think rather than getting cute, they would have been better off developing him full time at S or CB. At this point, he is a better offensive/return weapon as he is electric with the ball in his hands. I would not take Peppers until round 3 at the earliest. Not sure what everyone sees in him and it's particularly prevalent here with all of the UM fans.

Would really like Cunningham in round 2 and I think at this point it is realistic given the rise of some other LBs like Jarrad Davis.

Joe Mixon might be the best RB in the class but I am not sure I would take him given his off field stuff, but that's more of a philosophical question.

Jourdan Lewis here would be great value, but the off the field stuff comes into play.

I'd be surprised to see Smoot available in the fifth but would be very happy with the pick.

Overall I like the talent of the players you've selected, excepting Peppers who is criminally overrated by many people, but I worry about some of the character you are getting. Honestly, I do not see Mixon or Lewis reoffending, but I prefer not to reward players who have hit women, tortured animals, or abused children regardless of the likelihood of their recidivism.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: If I were the GM Mock Reply with quote

CutParisLenon wrote:
Louis Delmas26 wrote:

What do you guys think?

I hate Peppers at 21. The guy did not produce as a defensive player in school, or at least not at the level you would like to see out of a first round pick. I think this has more to do with how UM used him and I think rather than getting cute, they would have been better off developing him full time at S or CB. At this point, he is a better offensive/return weapon as he is electric with the ball in his hands. I would not take Peppers until round 3 at the earliest. Not sure what everyone sees in him and it's particularly prevalent here with all of the UM fans.

Would really like Cunningham in round 2 and I think at this point it is realistic given the rise of some other LBs like Jarrad Davis.

Joe Mixon might be the best RB in the class but I am not sure I would take him given his off field stuff, but that's more of a philosophical question.

Jourdan Lewis here would be great value, but the off the field stuff comes into play.

I'd be surprised to see Smoot available in the fifth but would be very happy with the pick.

Overall I like the talent of the players you've selected, excepting Peppers who is criminally overrated by many people, but I worry about some of the character you are getting. Honestly, I do not see Mixon or Lewis reoffending, but I prefer not to reward players who have hit women, tortured animals, or abused children regardless of the likelihood of their recidivism.

good post.

I tend to agree on Peppers, but 3rd seems a bit low. You have to remember he is a natural football player

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
Lions017

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppers would be a guy that I would consider trading back for, but wouldn't take with our first round pick. I'm just skeptical of guys that don't have a clear fit. Maybe this team has a spot in mind for him in the scheme, but no matter how good he is as an athlete, I like first round picks to be more of a "sure thing."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you this is just a hypothetical, but Peppers has a chance to be a prolific return man in the NFL. He has a chance to be the next Hester, while being a much more dynamic player both sides of the ball. I believe he will make an impact, id be excited to see some new schemes that he would be tailored for him. I think all of us would take Hester at 21. But once again he could be a wash, though id be willing to gamble on a kid with a good head on his shoulders with a world of talent.

thanks to BigBadLion20 for the (FOURTH) sick sig!
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honolulu2786 wrote:
Mind you this is just a hypothetical, but Peppers has a chance to be a prolific return man in the NFL. He has a chance to be the next Hester, while being a much more dynamic player both sides of the ball. I believe he will make an impact, id be excited to see some new schemes that he would be tailored for him. I think all of us would take Hester at 21. But once again he could be a wash, though id be willing to gamble on a kid with a good head on his shoulders with a world of talent.

I would not take Hester at 21. He ate up a roster spot and was only good at 1 thing. He may have been one of the best ever but I still don't take him in the first. I also disagree that Peppers has that much potential in the return game. I don't think he is special as a returner. I also don't like drafting a guy you have to draw up special schemes for because he doesn't really fit into a scheme you already have. I still see more Taylor Mays in Peppers than I do Earl Thomas. I want to stay away from Peppers unless he fell to the third, which won't happen.
Rockcity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppers should have been a rb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: