Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Random Raiders Stuff Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
I wouldn't do it. Screw them. 3 1sts all this year isn't enough value. Besides it's 2 1sts and one 2nd.

I am trying to make sense of the Herschel Walker trade, and it looks like they essentially gave up 3 1sts and 3 2nds for him. Cancelling out the players and the later round picks.
It's fair to say the 33rd pick is a 2nd rounder. So if they offered next year's first and the first from the year after that I'd do it.

2017 1, 12, 33
2018 1st
2019 1st, 2nd

Mack is a DPOY, all these draft picks aren't. It's like the difference in value between a winning lottery ticket and a handful of unscratched ones.

Besides, they would never do that. Even then I am not even sure it is worth it. Out of these 6 picks there's a great chance a couple bust and then out of those 3 guys what are the chances any of them become a DPOY - very slim. #1 players sometimes don't become what they should. #12s bust all the time. It's advantageous to the cap, but paying Mack is manageable. And the fan uproar despite any compensation would be bad. It's the type of trade a GM can't make unless the compensation is completely absurd.

To be clear, I probably couldn't do it. Just think it would warrant careful consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MAD STORK wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
Let's trade Mack for a bunch of picks... we may even land a player like Mack!

Lol, I get what you saying ; but Myles Garret is going to be a stud. As longs as he stays healthy (no reason suggest he wouldn't) he's going to be a great player. If Mack and Garret were coming out the same year, I think every team in the NFL would choose Garret. And he's a competitor, he had no reason to do drills or run at his pro day, but he did. He he's going to be a top DE in the NFL, no doubt.

I think the difference in our thinking is that I am trying to be as much like an actual GM in my thinking as I can, without knowing the true inner workings of it.
I guarantee that real GMs do not use "is going to be" as any assessment of draft value. Maybe, he is going to be. No assurances, and that's absolutely certain. Mack IS what he is, now. Garrett isn't going to be anything, not until he plays and actually does it. You say no doubt, but there absolutely is doubt. That's why you need a hell of alot more compensation for guy who is a top player right now.
NickButera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
THE MAD STORK wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:

Lol, I get what you saying ; but Myles Garret is going to be a stud. As longs as he stays healthy (no reason suggest he wouldn't) he's going to be a great player. If Mack and Garret were coming out the same year, I think every team in the NFL would choose Garret. And he's a competitor, he had no reason to do drills or run at his pro day, but he did. He he's going to be a top DE in the NFL, no doubt.

I think the difference in our thinking is that I am trying to be as much like an actual GM in my thinking as I can, without knowing the true inner workings of it.
I guarantee that real GMs do not use "is going to be" as any assessment of draft value. Maybe, he is going to be. No assurances, and that's absolutely certain. Mack IS what he is, now. Garrett isn't going to be anything, not until he plays and actually does it. You say no doubt, but there absolutely is doubt. That's why you need a hell of alot more compensation for guy who is a top player right now.

Absolutely. Only 40% of first round picks become starters. I remember reading an article a long time ago that stuck in my head (although I had to find it again), they did a 10 year study on top 10 picks-100 players. 50% of the top 10 picks failed to reach a probowl, and like 20% only made 1 probowl.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
holyghost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickButera wrote:
holyghost wrote:
THE MAD STORK wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:

Absolutely. Only 40% of first round picks become starters. I remember reading an article a long time ago that stuck in my head (although I had to find it again), they did a 10 year study on top 10 picks-100 players. 50% of the top 10 picks failed to reach a probowl, and like 20% only made 1 probowl.

This is why you have to slam them for absurd Herschel Walker compensation:

https://twitter.com/GoesslingESPN/status/851423752906846212

Besides, I think it's next to impossible. When was the last time a truly premier player, with accolades to show for it, in his early prime, got traded?
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt "good enough to start for several teams" McGloin signed to be a third stringers for Philly
NickButera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closed for length

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickButera wrote:
Closed for length

But you didn't close it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBXISBXVSBXVIII wrote:
NickButera wrote:
Closed for length

But you didn't close it

close what? Laughing

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBTL!1!1!
NickButera

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, can't make one mistake around you guys....

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100
Page 100 of 100

Jump to: