Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ax2's 4 round mock draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Ax2's 4 round mock draft Reply with quote

It's that time of year!

Round 1) Mitch Trubisky QB. After lots of evaluations and weighing our options, Mitch seems to be the guy. I love Watson, but he will be long gone and BoB proved a few years ago when skipping on Teddy B, that size matters to him. Mitch is the prototypical size, has a strong arm, plays well out of the gun (something we do a lot of) and is a great team guy. He checks all the boxes that fancy OB. I think we do whatever it takes to land this guy, even trading up.

Round 2) Taylor Moton G/T. Moton is a big boy with good arm length. Has experience at both RG and RT, and we all know OB loves versatility along the OL. He has good feet and strength and could fit well at RT for us.

Round 3) Bucky Hodges TE. This guy is a pass catching freak. He needs to improve his route running and blocking, but he would be an incredible asset to our offense by splitting him out wide.

Round 4) Jalen Reeves Maybin LB/S. Some are going to argue this is a reach, because of his shoulder injury, but the guy is healed according to Dr Andrews and looked athletic as ever at his pro day. He is the perfect compliment to our defense. His ability to cover RB's and TE's will be a huge addition and he has the ability to play ILB for us. His skill set really fits nicely for us.

From here we should get some depth on the OL, DL and LB.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ax2's 4 round mock draft Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Round 1) Mitch Trubisky QB. After lots of evaluations and weighing our options, Mitch seems to be the guy. I love Watson, but he will be long gone and BoB proved a few years ago when skipping on Teddy B, that size matters to him. Mitch is the prototypical size, has a strong arm, plays well out of the gun (something we do a lot of) and is a great team guy. He checks all the boxes that fancy OB. I think we do whatever it takes to land this guy, even trading up.

Trubisky or Mahomes I'm good with. Agree on Watson (but isn't he the same size as Mitch?)

Quote:
Round 2) Taylor Moton G/T. Moton is a big boy with good arm length. Has experience at both RG and RT, and we all know OB loves versatility along the OL. He has good feet and strength and could fit well at RT for us.

I'm good with an OL here, but would prefer to find a replacement for Demps here. I've seen mocks with Budda Baker here, who reminds me a lot of Bob Sanders - smallish, but assertive on the field in coverage and in run support.

Quote:
Round 3) Bucky Hodges TE. This guy is a pass catching freak. He needs to improve his route running and blocking, but he would be an incredible asset to our offense by splitting him out wide.

A pass catching TE is s bit of a luxury, given we have two blocking TEs and an H-Back type in Steven Anderson. Here's where I'd target an OL.

Quote:
Round 4) Jalen Reeves Maybin LB/S. Some are going to argue this is a reach, because of his shoulder injury, but the guy is healed according to Dr Andrews and looked athletic as ever at his pro day. He is the perfect compliment to our defense. His ability to cover RB's and TE's will be a huge addition and he has the ability to play ILB for us. His skill set really fits nicely for us.

I'm actually of the mindset that you upgrade the Alfred Blue "thumper" RB spot with Samaje Perine. With our offense looking to deploy either a very raw rookie, a very injured Tom Savage or a very bad Brandon Weeden...you're going to need to run, a LOT. If you try to slam Lamar Miller in between the tackles 250+ times this season, you'll have a very broken bellcow. Perine or Corey Clement out of Wisconsin would be the power guy, and could even start in the event you had to let Miller sit to heal up.

As far as ILB - admittedly, I haven't been keeping up with stuff as much as I did back in the day, but I like Clemson LB Ben Boulware. He'd be a solid fit. I don't know his measurables, his height/weight/speed, etc. Not sure he's even a 3-4 ILB at this level. But when I did watch Clemson play...I saw a Brian Cushing type, just a psycho on the field who attacked the run and punished the ball carrier on every hit.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ax2's 4 round mock draft Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Trubisky or Mahomes I'm good with. Agree on Watson (but isn't he the same size as Mitch?)

Quote:

I'm good with an OL here, but would prefer to find a replacement for Demps here. I've seen mocks with Budda Baker here, who reminds me a lot of Bob Sanders - smallish, but assertive on the field in coverage and in run support.

Quote:

A pass catching TE is s bit of a luxury, given we have two blocking TEs and an H-Back type in Steven Anderson. Here's where I'd target an OL.

Quote:

I'm actually of the mindset that you upgrade the Alfred Blue "thumper" RB spot with Samaje Perine. With our offense looking to deploy either a very raw rookie, a very injured Tom Savage or a very bad Brandon Weeden...you're going to need to run, a LOT. If you try to slam Lamar Miller in between the tackles 250+ times this season, you'll have a very broken bellcow. Perine or Corey Clement out of Wisconsin would be the power guy, and could even start in the event you had to let Miller sit to heal up.

As far as ILB - admittedly, I haven't been keeping up with stuff as much as I did back in the day, but I like Clemson LB Ben Boulware. He'd be a solid fit. I don't know his measurables, his height/weight/speed, etc. Not sure he's even a 3-4 ILB at this level. But when I did watch Clemson play...I saw a Brian Cushing type, just a psycho on the field who attacked the run and punished the ball carrier on every hit.

Watson looks so much thinner to me. I know they are the same size, but he looks frail.

I am all for safety, but OL is more important to me.

I know TE feels like a luxury, but we desperately need a reliable TE who can command the middle of the field. Especially with most of our WRs not being reliable threats in the middle.

I would love another RB, but feel we can sign someone or draft one late. We have a solid history of grabbing good rbs late.
Underwood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ax2's 4 round mock draft Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

This is something I haven't really considered, but I think you're on to something, ET. As much as we're going to be running the ball, we're gonna need someone else back there to share the load. I'm not a big fan of Blue and our other guys aren't guys that should be taking much of a pounding.

Edit: Figure I should comment on the mock. I would be okay with this, Andre. I'm kind of in a weird place. Half of the time, I'm all for not drafting a QB early and waiting for next year, which should have much better QB prospects available at our spot (which realistically could be a lot better than this year's spot, given our QB situation).

The other half of the time, I want a QB ASAP, as long as the staff finds a guy that they like. It changes day to day.

Sig by Eaglezphan21
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I'd love to get Trubisky in the 1st round, I don't think it happens as I think he's the first QB taken in the draft, but if he makes it to us I'd be thrilled.

2. Moton in the 2nd is a great pick, size, athleticism, and versatility equals perfect for the Texans IF he's still available.

3. Hodges, love this pick as well. Another good weapon can't hurt.

4. Maybin, I'm not real familiar with him but he seems to be an undersized tweener, to small to play LB. Is he fast enough to play SS, pass coverage skills?
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so hot and cold on Trubisky - there are times I think he's an ideal guy for our system, and will be ready to start his run as the Texans QB by week six. Then, there are times I think he's the next Blaine Gabbert, and will be backing up some lower tier QB by his fourth season as a pro.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
I'm so hot and cold on Trubisky - there are times I think he's an ideal guy for our system, and will be ready to start his run as the Texans QB by week six. Then, there are times I think he's the next Blaine Gabbert, and will be backing up some lower tier QB by his fourth season as a pro.

I have that same vibe too. High risk high reward type player. I wish we could see one more season from him at UNC. I think some teams will pass on him for that reason.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lukewarm on all these QBs and frankly the more I watch them the more I hate them. I know we need a QB but you can't draft one in the 1st just because you need one. That is how you end up with Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder or Brandon Weeden.

I'd much rather grab a Webb, Peterman, or Kaaya in the 3rd round. I don't think they are that far off the top group (again more to do with me not high on the top group) and much better value in round 3 than the others in round 1. And they all have just as much upside and only slightly less chance of reaching that upside.

My personal preference is Kaaya in the 3rd maybe even 2nd.

We can't rely on this QB class to fix our QB woes this year.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: