Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles trade for DT Timmy Jernigan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
EagleBlueDon wrote:
Gotta love the Ravens fans denial of how good of a player he actually is, and can be. Always funny watching fans trying to justify a trade their team makes, and then hearing them bash the traded player. But if Jernigan was still a Raven, I bet BAL fans would change their tune on how much they valued him. 5 days ago he was a key component on their DLine, right behind BW. Today, he's barely a rotational player.

In fairness, its not like Ravens fans are calling him bad. Most are just calling him solid and inconsistent....and thats largely what he is, and this is coming from a Steelers fan. If anything, I think some Ravens fans in the past overrated him...although they didnt talk about him much in 2016.

I think the Eagles got the better end of the deal, but thats mainly because he is a proven solid player while a draft pick is not even guaranteed to be remotely decent. Its not like Jernigan is some kind of great player, though. He has shown flashes, but the Ravens traded him for what he has PROVEN to be, a largely solid player with 1 year left on his deal. Good deal for the Eagles, but at face value, its not a huge disparity in value.

I think the difference is the team trading for him are optimistic about what he CAN be, while the team trading him are disappointed in what he didn't become.

In all fairness, with the potential Jernigan has (which should flourish better in Eagles scheme), he does come with questions regarding why he disappeared completely in parts of the season + his boneheaded plays at times (costly costly penalties).

Ozzie weighed the pros and cons and made the trade, and it could go either way, but it is by any means not a trade where one team got a steal or got cheated.
Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie did what Howie Roseman didn't do with Bennie Logan. Trade an expiring contract for a player you won't be able to resign the following year after breaking the bank for the better DT playing beside him. The only difference between the two scenarios is value determined by their GM's. There is no right or wrong but let's not get it twisted. Both Organizations if future salaries didn't matter would of probably chosen to keep both players.

One chose an extra year with said player and a eventual Comp pick to come in 2018
Other chose moving up 25 spot in the 3rd.

Bird Watch: TE Zach Ertz: 14Gm/ 106Tgt //78 Rec//812 Yds//4 TD//10.5 Y/R
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:

One chose an extra year with said player and a eventual Comp pick to come in 2018

Er... sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I really doubt the Eagles will get a comp pick for Logan. The other players you signed cancel him out.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Which is a good reason for the Ravens to make a trade like this. You don't want to put shackles on yourself when it comes to spending in FA if you can help it. I know Ozzie is the king at working the comp pick system, but the Ravens spent a good amount in FA this offseason, and I'm sure they don't want to limit their options of doing so again next offseason just to chase a 4th round comp pick, if they can help it.
Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:

Er... sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I really doubt the Eagles will get a comp pick for Logan. The other players you signed cancel him out.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Which is a good reason for the Ravens to make a trade like this. You don't want to put shackles on yourself when it comes to spending in FA if you can help it. I know Ozzie is the king at working the comp pick system, but the Ravens spent a good amount in FA this offseason, and I'm sure they don't want to limit their options of doing so again next offseason just to chase a 4th round comp pick, if they can help it.

While this might actually be the case there was no way to predict the FA the Eagles would of signed this season. So I'll rephrase

One chose an extra year with said player and a "possible but unlikely" chance of resigning him or "a potential" Comp pick to come in 2018
Other chose moving up 25 spot in the 3rd

Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:

which is essentially getting a 3rd round comp pick for him now in exchange for losing 1 year of service on a rookie deal

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:

which is essentially getting a 3rd round comp pick for him now in exchange for losing 1 year of service on a rookie deal

Never Suggested otherwise.

Nabbs4u wrote:
There is no right or wrong

Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:

Never Suggested otherwise.

Nabbs4u wrote:
There is no right or wrong

Wasn't trying to say you were saying anything different, just pointing it out in a different light other than "move up 25 spots"... it's essentially getting a guaranteed 3rd round comp pick 2 years early in exchange for 1 year less of service.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
Broncofan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With news of Beau Allen's torn pec and likely very iffy to start the season, the deal making even more sense for PHI now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: