Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jrry32 Post-FA Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Jrry32 Post-FA Mock Draft Reply with quote

Well, FA isn't technically over, but I think we've made pretty much all our big splashes.
Trade
Rams trade Round 2 Pick #5 and Round 3 Pick #5
Packers trade Round 1 Pick #29 and Round 3 Pick #29

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #29 - Forrest Lamp C Western Kentucky
Summary: For my money, Lamp is the easiest projection in the class. Lamp combines great movement skills with good power, outstanding technique, and natural instincts. Lamp has the ability to elevate our entire OL with his play. Adding Whitworth and Lamp would transform the OL. Lamp is a dominating pass blocker who handled Alabama's great group of DLs and edge rushers with ease. I didn't see a single guy make Lamp sweat all year in pass protection. Lamp's nimble feet, ability to mirror, wide base, outstanding hand use, and ridiculous grip strength combined to neutralize just about anyone he lined up against. Lamp's grip strength and hand use are so effective that when he gets his hands on a defender, the rep is won. Lamp's only real weaknesses are short arms and some minor durability concerns. I am hopeful that him not being able to play OT in the NFL drops him this far.

Round 3 Pick #29 - K.D. Cannon WR Baylor
Summary: We need a guy who can take on the DeSean Jackson role in the offense, and that is K.D. Cannon's specialty. Cannon ran a limited route tree at Baylor and had some drop issues during his career. However, Cannon has otherworldly speed on the football field. He has explosive acceleration followed by leave them in the dust top-end speed. Cannon's speed is so intimidating that CBs struggle to cover him on stop routes because they open their hips too early to run with him. While Cannon drops some easy passes, he also tracks the deep ball incredibly well and made a number of tough contested catches while at Baylor. Despite his 5'11" 182 pound frame, Cannon is a tough, physical player who will lower the shoulder at the end of a run and work the middle with no regard for his safety. Cannon needs quite a bit of development as a route runner, but he should see the field early due to his vertical speed.

Round 4 Pick #5 - Eddie Vanderdoes NT UCLA
Summary: Vanderdoes is an interesting player due to his backstory. He was a top ranked recruit out of HS who put a lot of good play on film between major injuries in college. Vanderdoes played heavier in 2016 than I would want him to play in the NFL (he was around 6'3" 325). He was pretty much immovable against the run, but it limited his ability to penetrate. Vanderdoes came into the Combine at 6'3" 305 and ran an impressive 4.99 40. Vanderdoes is country strong and uses it to stack blocks and disrupt the run game. As a pass rusher, he's pretty raw at this stage. He's been described as a bull in a china shop. He goes all out in terms of effort but plays a bit out of control. Still, Vanderdoes has a lot of potential if he stays healthy and should be at home attacking in Wade's scheme. As it is now, he has the ability to be a a quality run stopper with the potential to maybe develop into a solid to good pass rusher down the line.

Round 4 Comp Pick - George Kittle TE Iowa
Summary: George Kittle is one of the most interesting guys in this class. He was unheralded going into the Combine out of Iowa. He had solid production as a pass catcher in college but nothing eye popping (other than his yards per catch average). At the Combine, the 6'4" 247 pound Kittle surprised a lot of people by running a 4.52 40 and posting incredible jump numbers for a man his size. However, Kittle is more than just an athlete. What separates Kittle from your typical athletic project is that Kittle is a phenomenal blocking TE. Kirk Ferentz puts out a lot of polished TEs and OLs from Iowa. Kittle is another guy cut from that cloth as a blocker. He is a tenacious run blocker who uses his athleticism, body control, polished technique, and quality strength to create lanes in the run game and take his defender out of the play. Kittle plays through the whistle as a blocker and looks to bury his man. As a pass catcher, he's still developing as a route runner, but he has shown that he has the athleticism, YAC skills, and hands to be a factor.

Round 5 Pick #5 - Vince Biegel ILB/OLB Wisconsin
Summary: I am not a huge fan of Biegel as an edge rusher in the NFL, and there are legitimate concerns about his injury history. However, I love the thought of Biegel at SILB. Biegel lacks the power, length, ability to bend the edge, and explosiveness to win consistently as an edge rusher. However, Biegel has tremendous instincts, good speed for his size (4.67 40), good agility for his size, and a non-stop motor. At 6'3" 246, Biegel's size and athletic traits make him a perfect fit for SILB in Wade's scheme. He can hold his own in coverage and will be able to stack and shed blocks in the run game. He also has the speed and agility to run sideline to sideline. Biegel is a smart, high energy player who has quality athletic traits, but his traits simply don't fit on the edge. In addition to Biegel's value as a SILB, Biegel also has the makings of a studly core special teamer. That only increases his value on Day 3 of the Drat.

Round 6 Pick #5 - Brendan Langley CB Lamar
Summary: Langley is an intriguing project. At 6'0" 201, Langley ran a 4.43 40 with quality numbers in the agility and jump drills. Langley is an great athlete who has bounced back and forth between WR and CB during his college career. At UGA, Langley started off as a WR, moved to CB, and started as a true freshman. He transferred to Lamar after losing his starting job. At Lamar, he ended up back at WR before moving back over to CB midway through his junior year to get more PT. Langley had a strong senior year which led to a Senior Bowl invite. Langley struggled mightily at the Senior Bowl, though. However, his struggles were related to how raw his technique and instincts are. That's understandable for a guy with so little experience at CB. Langley has the frame and athleticism to potentially develop into a quality starter at CB down the line. However, he isn't likely to play as a rookie. On the plus side, he can contribute on special teams and was a very effective KR in college.

Round 6 Pick #22 - Joshua Holsey CB Auburn
Summary: Holsey is on my list of underrated CBs. This is such a deep and talented class that a guy like Holsey can go unnoticed. Holsey had two torn ACLs in his career, so that is a concern with him. However, he has exceptionally quick feet, the speed to run with WRs deep, loose hips, and good ball-skills. He can get a little grabby at times, but as we all know, some CBs use that to their advantage (*cough* Richard Sherman). Holsey is a CB who hides it well and uses it to his advantage. Holsey handled a number of top college WRs, including Mike Williams, during his senior season at Auburn.

Round 7 Pick #16 - Joey Ivie DE Florida
Summary: Ivie is a solid pick for a guy who is available this late. He's an underrated athlete with a relentless motor who has the ability to be a productive rotational interior DL at the NFL level. Ivie uses his hands well and does a nice job of stacking and shedding blocks in the run game. He's athletic enough to disrupt plays in the back-field and pressure QBs in the passing game. I think there's a strong chance that Joey Ivie's best football is ahead of him.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Robert Woods
ZWR: K.D. Cannon
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Andew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: Forrest Lamp
RG: Greg Robinson
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Michael Brockers
NT: Eddie Vanderdoes
RDE: Aaron Donald
LOLB: Connor Barwin
LILB: Vince Biegel
RILB: Alec Ogletree
ROLB: Robert Quinn
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Kayvon Webster vs. E.J. Gaines
SLCB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Maurice Alexander
SS: Mark Barron

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Brendan Langley
PR: Tavon Austin

Last edited by jrry32 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
El ramster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Jabril Peppers with our second pick?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
How about Jabril Peppers with our second pick?

He would play the same role as Barron or Maurice Alexander. It doesn't make sense to add him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Id be happy for the most part. Not a huge fan Cannon, but I like everything else. Not high on Langley, but on day 3 its not a big deal.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
2. Forrest Lamp, G/C, WKU
3. Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss
4. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
Rrrrrrrams

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a rookie center (who i guess never played center before) for jared goff. yeah, what a horrible idea.
and cannon in round 3 must be a joke.

i actually like these players, but that's not what we need.
the rams have to come up with a veteran center and will pick wr / te in the first two rounds.
RamPackFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mock up. I like seeing the different possible scenarios. I love the Forrest Lamp pick-up, but I do think it's a little too much to go after a "Center" when there's some quality starters to be found in rounds 3-5 this year. I know he's much more than a center and can play anywhere interiorly for the most part, but I just think it's a bit much. Interesting thought though. I don't like the KD Cannon pick.....I just see speed with that kid and that's about it. Baylor receivers don't impress me much. Love the Vanderdoos pick! We need a legit NT and he's a good fit.....Also, I don't see us waiting until the 6th round to address the CB position. I'd be willing to bet 1 out of our first three picks will be addressing the secondary. No disrespect to your mock, just my thoughts and critiques.

*interesting on the trade......which made me wonder? I've seen some mocks where Mike Williams fell to the early-mid 20's range.....if we "trade" could you get behind us going for a guy like that?
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rrrrrrrams wrote:
a rookie center (who i guess never played center before) for jared goff. yeah, what a horrible idea.

the rams have to come up with a veteran center and will pick wr / te in the first two rounds.

Agreed. There's no way he makes it there, right?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
Rrrrrrrams wrote:

Agreed. There's no way he makes it there, right?

He's pretty universally ranked as a Day 3 pick. Speed always rises on draft day, so I think it's quite reasonable to put him in the 3rd round range. But I'm not seeing anyone ranking him as a 2nd round pick.

If he's gone, oh well. I'll just grab Josh Reynolds in the 4th.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, how could you cover, its not really easy and let him do!
RamPackFan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really good mock...I like it! The only thing I really don't like in particular is the KD Cannon pick. Not a fan of him, especially at that spot. I think there will be better talent available at that spot....for me, I'd much rather have Carlos Henderson, Chad Hansen or Josh Reynolds instead. Overall, great mock though. I really like the trade up...we didn't lose much at all and still put us in good position for 3rd round talent. Love the Vanderdoes and Kittle picks. If we don't get Engram in the 2nd that's exactly who I'd want next and in the 4th he's a steal, IMO. IOWA doesn't tend to disappoint too much and this kids ceiling is off the chart....love the fact that he's fast AND has blocking capabilities!
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid mock. I don't love Cannon but, for the most part, I'm on board with the rest of the picks. Outside of his speed, I don't see a lot that I love with Cannon, particularly this season. In a few years, when he has mastered the route tree and improved his hands, he could be nice,however, we have a few guys like that on our roster now. Cannon just gives me a Donnie Avery vibe, which sends shivers down my spine. I couldn't really be mad if we took him late in the 3rd, but I'd hope there would be a more likely 2017 contributor available there.
John Johnson, S/CB
Josh Reynolds, WR
Samson Ebukam, Edge
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RamPackFan wrote:
really good mock...I like it! The only thing I really don't like in particular is the KD Cannon pick. Not a fan of him, especially at that spot. I think there will be better talent available at that spot....for me, I'd much rather have Carlos Henderson, Chad Hansen or Josh Reynolds instead. Overall, great mock though. I really like the trade up...we didn't lose much at all and still put us in good position for 3rd round talent. Love the Vanderdoes and Kittle picks. If we don't get Engram in the 2nd that's exactly who I'd want next and in the 4th he's a steal, IMO. IOWA doesn't tend to disappoint too much and this kids ceiling is off the chart....love the fact that he's fast AND has blocking capabilities!

I really don't like Carlos Henderson. If I were going another direction, it would be Josh Reynolds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
RamPackFan wrote:

I really don't like Carlos Henderson. If I were going another direction, it would be Josh Reynolds.

How come you don't like Henderson? When I see him I see someone with great speed, great hands, and someone who can stretch the field. He kinda reminds me of Odell Beckham in a way...very similar coming outta college.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digging the Lamp, Cannon, Vanderdoes, and Biegel picks. I don't generally like older prospects but where Biegel and Kittle are being selected, I could get over it. Solid job.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RamPackFan wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
RamPackFan wrote:

How come you don't like Henderson? When I see him I see someone with great speed, great hands, and someone who can stretch the field. He kinda reminds me of Odell Beckham in a way...very similar coming outta college.

He's not Odell Becham Jr. I'd say his most logical NFL comparison is Golden Tate (if you like him). Why do I not like him? He's a bad route runner with huge red flags surrounding his work habits and football IQ. He had a very nasty habit of blowing reads and running the wrong routes at the college level.

It reminds me of Cordarrelle Patterson. Incredible with the ball in his hands, but you have to be able to get the scheme down, run routes properly, and be where you're supposed to be to get the ball in your hands at the NFL level.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: