Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2018 is going to be a major turnover year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: 2018 is going to be a major turnover year Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/30831/one-year-deals-could-help-redskins-now-lead-to-tough-decisions-later

Quote:
Of their 71 players signed, 22 can become unrestricted free agents next offseason -- only Arizona, with 23, has more. However, not every team has the same amount of players on the roster at this point.

Still, the Redskins have 30.9 percent of their roster in this situation, according to ESPN Stats & Information; they're topped only by the Cardinals (35.4) and New York Giants (31.7).

Potentially up to nine starters could be walking out the door after the 2017 season. On one hand, that means the Redskins could reap a couple of compensatory picks in 2019. On the other, it means they are going to be scrambling to fill positions.

This draft becomes incredibly important because if the Redskins select well, they can absorb the losses and grab the compensatory picks. If they don't ... well ... the new GM and coach will be able to fashion the roster the way they will want.

2018 Free agents (bolded names are projected starters or in competition to be a starter)
QB Kirk Cousins
WR Ryan Grant
WR Terrelle Pryor
WR Brian Quick
RB Mack Brown [ERFA]
RB Chris Thompson
TE Derek Carrier
TE Niles Paul
OG Shawn Lauvao
OG/OC Spencer Long
OT Morgan Moses
OT Ty Nsekhe [RFA]
OT Vinston Painter [RFA]
DE Phil Taylor
DT Matt Ioannidis [ERFA]
ILB Zach Brown
ILB Will Compton
ILB Mason Foster
ILB Zach Vigil [RFA]
OLB Houston Bates [RFA]
OLB Trent Murphy
OLB Junior Gallette
OLB Chris Carter
CB Will Blackmon
CB Bashaud Breeland
CB Quinton Dunbar [RFA]
CB DeShazor Everett [RFA]
CB/S DeAngelo Hall
CB Dashaun Phillips [RFA]
CB Tharold Simon
PK Dustin Hopkins

I didn't bold Gallette because who knows what we will get out of him after not playing the game for over two years. Also, I feel like he's more a McCloughan guy than Allen's, and as such, could be casualty of the regime change.
lavar703

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're nuts if they don't pick a QB in the first three rounds this year. Hell, if Kizer were there in the second I'd consider it. Kirk isn't coming back and they need to face this reality head on.
LFOX21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I like Webb from CAL if he's there in the 3rd or 4th I would take him, I think he's starting material. Besides that I like mahomes but I think he will be gone, dobbs is an interesting prospect as far as late round potential and I kinda like chad jelly but he's got question marks
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does not bother me. At the end of last year we had a lot of free agents as well. It appears we signed some good free agents that will mitigate if not make us totally forget our free agent losses. I am not overly worried that we have so many free agents next year. I feel we will be able to sign and draft players to fill the spots of the players we may lose next year.

As for drafting a qb in this draft. I don't think they will - I would not. This is not a good qb draft class. If we lose Cousins next year - which I hope we don't - we can draft a rookie next year and have that player compete with Mccoy and Sudfeld.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFOX21 wrote:
TBH I like Webb from CAL if he's there in the 3rd or 4th I would take him, I think he's starting material. Besides that I like mahomes but I think he will be gone, dobbs is an interesting prospect as far as late round potential and I kinda like chad jelly but he's got question marks
At the senior bowl they said that Pederman reminded them of Kirk Cousins. I still hope they don't take a qb this year though. I want to see how Sudfeld progresses with more year of development under Gruden and Cavanaugh.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lavar703

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
LFOX21 wrote:
At the senior bowl they said that Pederman reminded them of Kirk Cousins. I still hope they don't take a qb this year though. I want to see how Sudfeld progresses with more year of development under Gruden and Cavanaugh.

I like Suds but I think he's more of a valuable back up type. Sort of another Todd Collins.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
LFOX21 wrote:

I like Suds but I think he's more of a valuable back up type. Sort of another Todd Collins.
The thing is we don't know. We don't need to draft another developmental qb this year in my mind because we already have one with Sudfeld.

MKnight82

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
They're nuts if they don't pick a QB in the first three rounds this year. Hell, if Kizer were there in the second I'd consider it. Kirk isn't coming back and they need to face this reality head on.
I don't like any of the QBs in this draft. Honestly if Cousins leaves we are better off tanking in 2018 and drafting our new QB in 2019.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
I don't like any of the QBs in this draft. Honestly if Cousins leaves we are better off tanking in 2018 and drafting our new QB in 2019.
Yep, I think that would be a smart move as well.

mar29020

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
next year is a big qb class though.
lavar703

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mar29020 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:

I think we're going to end up between 7-9 and 9-7 so we'll be out of range for Darnold, Falk or Rosen.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
mar29020 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:

I think we're going to end up between 7-9 and 9-7 so we'll be out of range for Darnold, Falk or Rosen.
We're going to be picking 32nd. Laughing Wink

DCRED

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
LFOX21 wrote:

100%
I think he may get to where he finally looks comfortable, and somewhat efficient and more accurate.
But if he ever has to play for any length of time, we are in big trouble.

The mistakes he made and the horribly ugly throws he made just made me lose confidence in him as a starter. They'll have to take alot of plays out until he can make even the easy throws.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
LFOX21 wrote:

100%
I think he may get to where he finally looks comfortable, and somewhat efficient and more accurate.
But if he ever has to play for any length of time, we are in big trouble.

The mistakes he made and the horribly ugly throws he made just made me lose confidence in him as a starter. They'll have to take alot of plays out until he can make even the easy throws.
Yeah, that's as a rookie who was coming from a college that ran a spread offense. Very hard to evaluate what a qb is going to be with a few years of development in your offense just out of his rookie year and when he was coming from a spread offense in college.

We just don't know what Sudfeld will develop into at this point. It's far too soon in his development as a qb in our offense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: