Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Zach Brown/DeAndre Levy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegas492

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
I just have a feeling Matthews is going back inside. He would instantly become an all-pro caliber player again if he played inside. Thomas/Ryan/Martinez would be plenty enough talent for that other inside spot if Matthews goes inside.

Find a better inside pass rusher than Matthews would be. So many positive things would come from him making the permanent switch to the inside. It would extend his career, it would keep him healthier, it would add to what we could do defensively...

I've argued that stance before on here and been lit up for it. Something about Clay going like 4 games inside and only getting one tackle or something like that.

I've thought that he impacts the game more inside than he does outside.
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
packfanfb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
I just have a feeling Matthews is going back inside. He would instantly become an all-pro caliber player again if he played inside. Thomas/Ryan/Martinez would be plenty enough talent for that other inside spot if Matthews goes inside.

Find a better inside pass rusher than Matthews would be. So many positive things would come from him making the permanent switch to the inside. It would extend his career, it would keep him healthier, it would add to what we could do defensively...

I would agree, but if we do, it puts OLB at No. 1 on the list of needs. Having Perry, Fackrell and Elliott holding down the fort is pretty weak. We need an impact player out there if we move Clay inside so we would probably have to go that route in Rd. 1, 2 at the latest.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegas492 wrote:

His greatest value is as a moveable chess piece who can play inside or outside. By arguing for one or the other, I think you're missing out on what he does best. Create havoc for the offensive game planning. If they know where he is they can slide protections, keep RBs/TEs in to block and chip etc. IF he moves around, that stresses their entire operation

IMO the goal is to be sound enough at all LB positions to give Capers the freedom to move him based on opponent/down/distance.
Clay has great instincts, why chain him down to one spot ?
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why chain him down to one spot?

Keeps him healthier.
Helps him focus on one position.
Eliminates a weak area in need of improvement.
He's been pretty ineffective as an EDGE for a while now.

I won't be disappointed wherever he plays. Ext year, but I think we get the most value out of him as an ILB.
vegas492

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
vegas492 wrote:

His greatest value is as a moveable chess piece who can play inside or outside. By arguing for one or the other, I think you're missing out on what he does best. Create havoc for the offensive game planning. If they know where he is they can slide protections, keep RBs/TEs in to block and chip etc. IF he moves around, that stresses their entire operation

IMO the goal is to be sound enough at all LB positions to give Capers the freedom to move him based on opponent/down/distance.

I agree, but if you have to pin a position label on him, I like him at ILB most of the time, kicking out on some passing downs.

Not OLB most of the time, kicking around only on occasion.

I love his delay blitz by the guards when he lines up inside. And I think he is one of the better LB's in the league when it comes to dropping into space. He does it pretty effortlessly and quickly.

If Clark can develop and keep Clay uncovered inside, I think he would be pretty fun to watch.
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
cooters22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Zach Brown got signed. I just don't get it. He was a fast, young, athletic linebacker type that we need. Now granted he got 4.5 million for a season, but you get what you pay for Ted. Why don't we prioritize that position more? Funny Ted played linebacker. Just ranting because he was one of a few remaining guys I'd hope we sign.

I'm not so high on Levy. He just had another knee surgery. So he needs to recover. I don't blame Ted for not checking him out, but it would be nice to sign someone soon before the draft so we don't go into the draft with so many holes.
Jaegybomb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get what you pay for in the draft. Not so much FA. He went for a little less than expected but there is always a reason.
Stevein2012

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
vegas492 wrote:

Not really, he's potentially a good player inside and average at best on the edge. When Clay is rushing from outside he's not creating havoc or match up problems he's mostly just taken out of the play by whoever is the LT.
fattlipp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
I see Zach Brown got signed. I just don't get it. He was a fast, young, athletic linebacker type that we need. Now granted he got 4.5 million for a season, but you get what you pay for Ted. Why don't we prioritize that position more? Funny Ted played linebacker. Just ranting because he was one of a few remaining guys I'd hope we sign.

I'm not so high on Levy. He just had another knee surgery. So he needs to recover. I don't blame Ted for not checking him out, but it would be nice to sign someone soon before the draft so we don't go into the draft with so many holes.

Careful don't say we should have signed or at least brought Brown in, HZ is gonna insult you and call you dumb stupid or stupid dumb, can't remember.. for thinkin you know better than the GB staff... or him, even though,........ he doesn't watch college football???? ....huh??
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levy I'd kick the tires on, but he had knee surgery yesterday so when he get signed (why whoever does it) it will be later in the summer.
smetana34

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fattlipp wrote:
cooters22 wrote:

Careful don't say we should have signed or at least brought Brown in, HZ is gonna insult you and call you dumb stupid or stupid dumb, can't remember.. for thinkin you know better than the GB staff... or him, even though,........ he doesn't watch college football???? ....huh??

Passed on by 30 other teams. Signed consecutive 1 year deals. Was a Pro Bowler for Buffalo and even they didn't want him back. Another one year deal for 4.5 million. You clearly know something no one else does.

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."
incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smetana34 wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
cooters22 wrote:

Passed on by 30 other teams. Signed consecutive 1 year deals. Was a Pro Bowler for Buffalo and even they didn't want him back. Another one year deal for 4.5 million. You clearly know something no one else does.

He's captain hindsight. He probably wants 300 other guys who stunk. But this one was good. So we're all haters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: