Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tony Romo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longhorns90 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Here's the thing everyone is missing, every QB that BOB has started has gone elsewhere and been better or was better elsewhere before coming. All of them. BOB sucks at developing QB play and makes his system too difficult for the QB.

BOB is the problem. Romo probably wouldn't be much better. There is a reason guys come in and play much better in relief than they do in starts, it's the system.

Except the statistics say otherwise.

Fitzpatrick's best completion percentage, TD-Int ratio, yds/attempt, yds/completion, and passer rating all came under O'Brien.

Hoyer has similar improvement from before O'Brien to under O'Brien.

Yeah, Osweiler sucked and Mallett sucked, but that's probably a function of them being bad quarterbacks.

Check downs, all check downs.

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longhorns90 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Here's the thing everyone is missing, every QB that BOB has started has gone elsewhere and been better or was better elsewhere before coming. All of them. BOB sucks at developing QB play and makes his system too difficult for the QB.

BOB is the problem. Romo probably wouldn't be much better. There is a reason guys come in and play much better in relief than they do in starts, it's the system.

Except the statistics say otherwise.

Fitzpatrick's best completion percentage, TD-Int ratio, yds/attempt, yds/completion, and passer rating all came under O'Brien.

Hoyer has similar improvement from before O'Brien to under O'Brien.

Yeah, Osweiler sucked and Mallett sucked, but that's probably a function of them being bad quarterbacks.

I call BS!
If the goal of offensive football was to have a high completion % and low ints you are right, but those are byproducts of O'Brien's "system" of dink and dunk. Hell, it is so valued, our highest comp% is surely 4 yard dumpoffs to TEs/RBs on 3rd and long and that's if we even bother to throw vs. 4 yard draw play. Fitz put up 3,900 yards and 31 TDs the year after leaving us vs. 2,400 and 17 tds under O'Brien. Even with that Hoyer's comp % went from 60% to 67% after leaving us last year and he threw 6 TDs without a turnover which was almost the reverse of his 0-5 performance in our playoff game.

The "genius" of O'Brien's "system" is in that somehow people think there is some innovative genius lurking below the surface rather than just hyper-conservative garbage that can manage to not screw up games against the dregs on our schedule that the defense dominates, but has been laughable against any playoff caliber teams. It's time we realize that we got the Charlie Weis branch of the Belichick tree (Weis even put up two better college seasons than O'Brien did before the mystique wore off in year 3 as I suspect it might have with Hackenburg). Speaking of which, maybe it's time to question the popular dialogue on O'Brien's star pupil Hackenburg who left Penn State with catastrophic fundamentals, just like Osweiler, Mallett, and Hoyer displayed under O'Brien. Even Fitz got worse over time in his system after an initial "bump" largely because he actually had a run game and wasn't playing down 3 TDs like he did in Buffalo, Tenn, and Cinn.

At this point, I'm firmly convinced O'Brien was merely the beneficiary of Gronk/Hernandez and the best QB/HCs in the history of the sport. He was a solid leader and "right guy at the right time" at Penn State, but 8-4 & 7-5 seasons were impressive merely because they exceeded expectations. 2012 may have been the worst year ever for the Big 10 which had Ohio St and nobody else in the top 20. Northwestern put up a 10 win season while the Big 10 featured Wisconsin & Michigan St putting up 6 loss seasons, Michigan losing 5 and the usual sub .500 from doormats Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Minny. In 2013 they lost to Indiana, Minn, UCF, & Nebraska plus a 63-14 throttling from Ohio St, so the trendline for year 3 wasn't exactly promising. They had a few surprising wins, but his 2 years were defined by a team not being as bad as some thought they would be, rather than being a top 25 team. Kinda reminds me of 9-7 mediocrity built on a horrible AFC South.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo going to the TV booth. Thank the Lord. We need to go QB in round 1. I don't even care who it is. We can take trevor Knight and I'll be happy. Whoever we have rated best when we pick.

If not we will have to bring in Cutler or Kapernick to compete with Savage for the job and we will still have no direction.

jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Romo going to the TV booth. Thank the Lord. We need to go QB in round 1. I don't even care who it is. We can take trevor Knight and I'll be happy. Whoever we have rated best when we pick.

If not we will have to bring in Cutler or Kapernick to compete with Savage for the job and we will still have no direction.

Despite all the negative publicity, there are only 9 active QBs who led their teams to a Super Bowl. CK is one of them.

His stats say he didn't play horribly (except for that Chicago game) last year as bad as the Niners were.
http://www.nfl.com/player/colinkaepernick/2495186/gamelogs

I would certainly welcome him here... I just think most Texans fans wouldn't.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

Despite all the negative publicity, there are only 9 active QBs who led their teams to a Super Bowl. CK is one of them.

His stats say he didn't play horribly (except for that Chicago game) last year as bad as the Niners were.
http://www.nfl.com/player/colinkaepernick/2495186/gamelogs

I would certainly welcome him here... I just think most Texans fans wouldn't.

I am not sure who I would personally want. On one hand, Jay's skill set matches our system better, but his attitude and monotone demeanor doesn't seem like a good fit for our team or coach. Plus his gunslinger mentality is opposite of BoBs protect the ball mantra.

Colin meanwhile, is proven he can be very successful, is a great team mate (even despite his protests), BUT his skill set doesn't seem to match our team. His inability to make quick reads and his tendency to pull the ball down and run isn't something I see OB working with.

I really don't know what to do anymore. I know we need a rookie QB, but OB doesn't seem willing to let a rookie QB start and Tom has shown he isn't all to stay healthy more than a game or two.

Is Weeden gonna be the guy this year?
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i had to guess, i would say savage starts the season off and a rookie takes over when he struggles or gets hurt

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
If i had to guess, i would say savage starts the season off and a rookie takes over when he struggles or gets hurt

So he lasted 2 quarters when he replaced Fitz. Made it 1 quarter replacing Brock. What's the over/under on him lasting 3 quarters next season?

Sarcasm aside, for all the "run" that the Osweiler/OBrien halftime beef got, I would still like an explanation on just how the hell Savage got a concussion on this play. I've never seen any angle of him actually taking a hit and I don't see how his reaction afterward warranted attention from the "independent nuerotrama consultant."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000766845/article/texans-qb-tom-savage-suffers-concussion-vs-titans

No visible hit to the head. He pops straight up after the play. He immediately looks to the sideline to get the next play appearing completely lucid. He is literally "hopping" back to the huddle which the antithesis of the slow labored movement you demonstrate after a concussion. I swear the spotter must have seen him wipe dirt/sweat from his eyes and interpreted it as a "facial injury." Clearly he managed to fail the sideline assessment and the locker room one, but considering this play quite literally altered the future of our entire organization, you'd think we'd get some sort of explanation.

BTW - If he actually took this hit to the head someone upstairs saw, why the heck was their no penalty or fine assessed after the fact? Cam Newton takes a few shots in week one and its broken down frame by frame by every talking head in the industry - our QB is taken out by some phantom concussion and misses a friggin playoff game and not even local media gives it a second glance. Let's not forget, last time Savage was our QB it was after a blatant leg whip by Arthur Jones of the Colts broke Fitz' leg, again without even drawing a flag. Then Savage got cheap shotted on the 2nd to last play of the game, also ending his season. Meanwhile, the year before Hoyer is allowed to play when clearly concussed TWICE, and THAT is also never addressed by O'Brien who might be one of the worst examples I've ever seen of a coach completely oblivious to player safety/health (see also Arian Foster/Hopkins/D. Brown/Lamar Miller).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000443194/article/texans-ryan-fitzpatrick-breaks-leg-out-for-season

Here are the seven observable symptoms used to identify players with concussions.

Any loss of consciousness
Slow to get up following a hit to the head ("hit to the head" may include secondary contact with the playing surface)
Motor coordination/balance problems (stumbles, trips/falls, slow/labored movement)
Blank or vacant look
Disorientation (e.g., unsure of where he is on the field or location of bench)
Clutching of head after contact
Visible facial injury in combination with any of the above

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: