Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sharrif Floyd suffers career-threatening complications
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smetana34

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:

First of all, no, that is very certainly not true.
Secondly, I'd imagine medical malpractice deaths have steadily decreased over time

It's not?
And it hasn't

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/03/researchers-medical-errors-now-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-united-states/?utm_term=.eb4b2df76f13

The first article above is 2013. This one is 2016. And it appears the numbers are rising.

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."
incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
SFPatsFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SFPatsFan wrote:

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him.

Thanks, that's a nice thing of you to say.

Laughing Laughing Laughing That's actually pretty good. I knew you'd be too petty to just let it go but I put my money on you correcting a grammar mistake that I made and didn't edit out. Taking a sarcastic quote out of context is something even I'd do, in fact I already have. Seriously though please tone down the trolling and the need to always be right, not just in this thread but in others as well. You're already in your early 30's and you should be beyond the "trolling strangers on a football forum" phase.

As far as the whole malpractice thing I didn't read the whole article or check the sources but I tend not to believe papers with such a huge spread in results. To say between 200,000 and over 400,000 people die from malpractice seems like shoddy data meant to discredit doctors. You would never believe someone who says "This athlete has a normal level of testosterone or maybe he has over double the regular amount we can't be sure.".

I'm pretty sure this thread was about Floyd's nerve which the best we can do is speculate since we literally know nothing aside from some psuedoscience jargon. As I said before my best guess is it isn't as bad as it sounds i.e. he can probably still walk and likely just lost some feeling/strength but it's bad enough that his career could be over or at least put on hold for a year or two. We don't know what the damage is, the extent of the damage and what they mean when they say things like "nerve not firing". The true meaning of a nerve not "firing" is no action potential is traveling down the neuron, meaning no ACh is being released into the post synaptic cleft meaning nothing stimulates the muscle to contract. So a nerve not "firing" would imply he has no ability to contract his muscle and therefor is paralyzed which I don't think is the case.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smetana34 wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:

Secondly, I'd imagine medical malpractice deaths have steadily decreased over time

It's not?
And it hasn't

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/03/researchers-medical-errors-now-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-united-states/?utm_term=.eb4b2df76f13

The first article above is 2013. This one is 2016. And it appears the numbers are rising.

There is a very, very big difference between being the third leading cause of death and being 1/3rd of the death toll Laughing Laughing

I hate the Jaguars
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFPatsFan wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing That's actually pretty good. I knew you'd be too petty to just let it go but I put my money on you correcting a grammar mistake that I made and didn't edit out. Taking a sarcastic quote out of context is something even I'd do, in fact I already have. Seriously though please tone down the trolling and the need to always be right, not just in this thread but in others as well. You're already in your early 30's and you should be beyond the "trolling strangers on a football forum" phase.

Please stick to football per the forum rules. This post has been forwarded to a moderator for review.

Thanks,
Flaccomania

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
smetana34

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
smetana34 wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:

It's not?
And it hasn't

There is a very, very big difference between being the third leading cause of death and being 1/3rd of the death toll Laughing Laughing

Ah yes. I see the error now. Edited so I don't spread any more false info. Laughing that's definitely a big difference

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."
incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smetana34 wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
smetana34 wrote:
vikingshomer wrote:
All I will say is that this is a surgeon that the Vikings trusted, or at the very least gave the ok to. This wasn't was "low quality surgeon". There was no malicious attempt. It was just an accident. A terrible one, but an accident. No profession will ever operate at 100%, there is always an acceptable rate of failure.

Except a 3rd of the nation's death toll is due to medical malpractice. I understand Floyd's situation isn't life threatening, but my underlying point is that malpractice is a growing issue. While obviously they're unintentional, when do the "it was just an accident" reasons stop getting tossed aside when it happens all too frequently?

If that's true then why do people even go to the doctor?

https://www.propublica.org/article/how-many-die-from-medical-mistakes-in-us-hospitals

To get better, not worse. For what services cost, the rate of error shouldn't be as high as it is.

lol.

if your stat is correct, and you subtract the number of people that don't go the doctor at all, your chances of dying from a doctor's visit could be as high as 50%.

People don't like going to the doctor. If you there was a 50/50 chance of dying, most people wouldn't go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd should go full iron man like Teddy has.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: