Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Sign Ricky Jean-Francois
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
My last post on Davis. I remember the receivers coach saying after they drafted him that teams will now have to respect the deep threat. When Jordy went down defenses played us different, they didn't respect our deep ball and just sat on routes.

Davis was drafted for his speed and ability to beat you deep and loosen up defenses. He was a draft pick and will be given every opportunity to prove himself like Abby. The only problem there's a log jam at WR and so many balls to go around, he better tear it up in preseason because I don't know how else he gets on the field during the regular season.

If a guy is performing, he'll get his chances even if there is a log jam. If an UDRFA can do it, I'd imagine a 5th rounder was given even more chances to see the field and never took it.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
Cadmus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:
My last post on Davis. I remember the receivers coach saying after they drafted him that teams will now have to respect the deep threat. When Jordy went down defenses played us different, they didn't respect our deep ball and just sat on routes.

Davis was drafted for his speed and ability to beat you deep and loosen up defenses. He was a draft pick and will be given every opportunity to prove himself like Abby. The only problem there's a log jam at WR and so many balls to go around, he better tear it up in preseason because I don't know how else he gets on the field during the regular season.

If a guy is performing, he'll get his chances even if there is a log jam. If an UDRFA can do it, I'd imagine a 5th rounder was given even more chances to see the field and never took it.

Guys.

Davis couldn't consistently beat press due (at least partially) to his rookie frame. The guy was about to be crowned the next big thing at WR before the pads went on. As someone who attended TC, he struggled to consistently beat press against the larger, more physical corners. This isn't some huge red flag, this happens fairly often to rookie WRs with thin/underdeveloped frames and unrefined technique. Allison had a leg up on Davis from the beginning, but that means absolutely nothing heading into 2017.

Don't overthink it. Just look forward to TC.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the love for Allison. But those guys are a dime a dozen. Look at what Boykin did for us.

Davis could be a game-wrecker. When things start to click for him, and the rhythm/timing of the offense becomes second nature, he'll actually be able to utilize his speed.

You saw the flashes last season. Rodgers hit him on an absolute home run ball (70 yards in the air IIRC against the Lions at home) but was mugged as he reached the ten yard line. PI, 70 yards and an eventual touchdown. His drop midseason on a comeback route also flashed his potential.

Allison can't do that.

Defenses will need to play off Davis if he develops his frame (as he should) this offseason. Cadmus made a good point in that regard. He's not going to out-muscle guys on the boundary. But if Davis even bulks up a bit, he's going to be a unique weapon for us, the type that will break a game open with a deep ball/punt return. We haven't had that kind of weapon here before--Janis, sure, but he's stiff in the hips and was far less developed at this point in his career.

I'm personally excited. Training camp should be a fun watch.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
Siman08/OH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets talk receivers in my post and about how good of a signing this is for the team here. Im all for cheap D line depth. Gioun wasnt supposed to do anything (alot of people said they didnt like him) and hes been a starter for multiple years now.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Davis could be a game-wrecker. When things start to click for him, and the rhythm/timing of the offense becomes second nature, he'll actually be able to utilize his speed.

You saw the flashes last season. Rodgers hit him on an absolute home run ball (70 yards in the air IIRC against the Lions at home) but was mugged as he reached the ten yard line. PI, 70 yards and an eventual touchdown. His drop midseason on a comeback route also flashed his potential.

Have we not said the same thing about Jeff Janis at various points of his career? I'm not saying I'm ready to write off Trevor Davis, but historically Day 3 WR generally tend to not amount to much.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:

Have we not said the same thing about Jeff Janis at various points of his career? I'm not saying I'm ready to write off Trevor Davis, but historically Day 3 WR generally tend to not amount to much.

Central FC wrote:
Defenses will need to play off Davis if he develops his frame (as he should) this offseason. Cadmus made a good point in that regard. He's not going to out-muscle guys on the boundary. But if Davis even bulks up a bit, he's going to be a unique weapon for us, the type that will break a game open with a deep ball/punt return. We haven't had that kind of weapon here before--Janis, sure, but he's stiff in the hips and was far less developed at this point in his career.

I don't expect Davis to be a starting boundary receiver. I see a guy who has better hands than Sammie Coates, comparable big play ability, and a strong supporting cast around him to promote his development (Bennett and co., Mac, QB1, and the veteran receivers).

I concede this offense is notoriously difficult to not necessarily learn, but to know. Davis might have the right answers, might know the route combinations, but if he's thinking a half-second slow--like most rookies do, regardless of where they're drafted--he's not going to be the 4.38 guy we saw.

It takes time. I'm excited to see what kind of leap TD will make with a year in the system and some added muscle mass.

He's a role player for us going forward. The expectation is he adds a vertical element to our offense. I'm not sure any of us saw him as anything but a bit contributor last season. We all hoped for a home run ball to the kid but the general consensus was that he was very much a project.

Where he differs from Janis is the flexibility, the route running, and the experience. Janis was as much of a project as one could imagine. Davis definitely falls in that category, too, but there's a bit more to work with I think.

I could see 35 receptions for 520 yards and 4-5 TDs next year as our WR4. There will be options with the middle of the field now posing a threat thanks to Martellus and Lance.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this WR talk in the RJF thread Laughing
Donzo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4tNllu1884

This never gets old...
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Flynn and Ricky Jean-Francois celebrate their future as Green Bay Packers

Shanedorf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Tql4soykI

Ricky-Jean with some post-sack moves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: