Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Darius Latham or Jihard Ward
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
Rolni wrote:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/28/raiders-notes-jack-del-rio-sort-of-addresses-marshawn-lynch-adrian-peterson-rumors/

JDR mentioned Edwards, Ward and Autry here when it came to defensive front improvement. This could just be that Latham is viewed as a full time interior guy along with Williams and Jelly...

Could mean Williams, Jelly and Latham at NT.
With Edwards, Ward, Autry and possibly a rookie at DE in base.

The NT's could play a few snaps also in 4 DL looks, but most of the time the base DE's would play DT in nickel and dime with Mack and Irvin down as DE's.

I could see us viewing Latham as a NT moving forward but I think that may not make maximum use of his full potential, from what I've seen he's pretty agile and aggressive for a very big man and he's got some decent hand techniques. Without wishing to re-hash the old 3-4 or 4-3 arguments what I'd love to see is a penetrating 34 base D with Edwards / Williams / Latham up front and Mack and Irving rush LBs. I think this would allow Williams to play better by penetrating rather than being a 2 gap kind of player and allow Edwards and Lathan to do what they appear to do best by being aggressive. Behind those guys we'd have Ward, Autry and Ellis to rotate in (and I'd love to draft a guy like Malik McDowell to fit in at end). Ellis is the only one that seems to me to be a better guy at being a space eater rather than a penetrating type.

In the Nickel D then we could shift Edwards and Autry in (or McDowell if we went that route) and rotate Ward and Latham with Irving and Mack at ends or even Aldon and Mack if he ever gets out of purgatory. It's going to be very interesting to see the progressions of a few young players and hopefully Edwards will be healthy which could make a big difference too.

I can also see Latham at DE\DT as you said.

We will see whether Pagano brings in a 1gap system modification or not. As far as I know JDR is a 2 gap guy in the interior in base, but that can change...
oakdb36

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to JDR, Pagano's main role is to work with DBs.
Rolni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:

Sure, but I guess he will also work on our blitz packages a lot. Related to the DB's and he is really good at that.
With that said I would expect he will have a few words in the overall system, since his title is much more than a DB coach...
We will see...
Darbsk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
Darbsk wrote:
Rolni wrote:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/28/raiders-notes-jack-del-rio-sort-of-addresses-marshawn-lynch-adrian-peterson-rumors/

JDR mentioned Edwards, Ward and Autry here when it came to defensive front improvement. This could just be that Latham is viewed as a full time interior guy along with Williams and Jelly...

Could mean Williams, Jelly and Latham at NT.
With Edwards, Ward, Autry and possibly a rookie at DE in base.

The NT's could play a few snaps also in 4 DL looks, but most of the time the base DE's would play DT in nickel and dime with Mack and Irvin down as DE's.

I could see us viewing Latham as a NT moving forward but I think that may not make maximum use of his full potential, from what I've seen he's pretty agile and aggressive for a very big man and he's got some decent hand techniques. Without wishing to re-hash the old 3-4 or 4-3 arguments what I'd love to see is a penetrating 34 base D with Edwards / Williams / Latham up front and Mack and Irving rush LBs. I think this would allow Williams to play better by penetrating rather than being a 2 gap kind of player and allow Edwards and Lathan to do what they appear to do best by being aggressive. Behind those guys we'd have Ward, Autry and Ellis to rotate in (and I'd love to draft a guy like Malik McDowell to fit in at end). Ellis is the only one that seems to me to be a better guy at being a space eater rather than a penetrating type.

In the Nickel D then we could shift Edwards and Autry in (or McDowell if we went that route) and rotate Ward and Latham with Irving and Mack at ends or even Aldon and Mack if he ever gets out of purgatory. It's going to be very interesting to see the progressions of a few young players and hopefully Edwards will be healthy which could make a big difference too.

I can also see Latham at DE\DT as you said.

We will see whether Pagano brings in a 1gap system modification or not. As far as I know JDR is a 2 gap guy in the interior in base, but that can change...

Yes I thought JDR liked the 2 gap scheme but it seems a little strange to me when it looks like the types of players we've been playing and have brought in would (in my eyes) be more suitable to being 1 gap, penetrating types like Autry, Latham, Ward and Edwards. That's not to say they couldn't play 2 gap and wouldn't after a while be good, just that 1 gap seems the natural fit......
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:

Pagano's main role is to be ready to call the defense when KNJ isn't cutting in year 3 Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

Pagano's main role is to be ready to call the defense when KNJ isn't cutting in year 3 Laughing Laughing

All joking aside, there probably was an element of that thinking in the hiring, that if we absolutely had to get rid of KNJ during the season we'd have a guy already in place with experience and who would be someone who shares a defensive philosophy we like. That would be being pessimistic however Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: