Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No longer an offensive Offensive Line? (OL Thead v3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginia Viking wrote:
On paper, perhaps the offensive line has improved. We won't know for sure until they start playing real games in September. Even great individual players have a tough time forming into a unit. It's important to remember that the goal is to have a great unit...and not necessarily the greatest players at the individual positions.

As an example, the Redskins line of the 1980's, I don't think had any high draft picks except Mark May. They played perfectly together and won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks.

Completely different era. When was the last time a dominant OL carried a team to a super bowl despite having a revolving door at QB.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Virginia Viking wrote:
...the Redskins line of the 1980's, I don't think had any high draft picks except Mark May. They played perfectly together and won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks.

Completely different era. When was the last time a dominant OL carried a team to a super bowl despite having a revolving door at QB.

their O-Line was known as "the Hogs" and attracted fans like these guys every game who would dress in womens' clothes and hats and have pig snouts. they were pretty fun guys, 100's of them.

gotta love the devoted fans.

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Virginia Viking wrote:
On paper, perhaps the offensive line has improved. We won't know for sure until they start playing real games in September. Even great individual players have a tough time forming into a unit. It's important to remember that the goal is to have a great unit...and not necessarily the greatest players at the individual positions.

As an example, the Redskins line of the 1980's, I don't think had any high draft picks except Mark May. They played perfectly together and won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks.

I disagree with your premise. While offenses have changed focus, usually the Super Bowl winner has had the best offensive line play. My premise remains accurate. A dominant offensive line, that can open holes in the running game, and protect the quarterback, makes the whole offense MUCH better and can make mediocre quarterbacks Super Bowl Champions.
Dominating offensive lines translate into success in any era.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle and Denver have recently won Super Bowls without stellar OL play. Good enough, but those teams were carried by great defenses. I won't argue against the significance of the OL, I just don't think we're going to see a dominant OL being the catalyst for a super bowl winning team. Almost always comes down to having an elite QB or elite defense.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Seattle and Denver have recently won Super Bowls without stellar OL play. Good enough, but those teams were carried by great defenses. I won't argue against the significance of the OL, I just don't think we're going to see a dominant OL being the catalyst for a super bowl winning team. Almost always comes down to having an elite QB or elite defense.

Totally agree.

I think that it still boils down to:
QB play
Strength of defense
Running game

The balance of strength in those areas is what's important for making a Superbowl run imo. Offensive line play informs the strength of the QB play and running game, however you still need skill in those areas for them to being strong points of your team.

Which is why I still believe that this team having a premier running game, if not a premier running back, is as important as improving the offensive line.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolmonite26 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Totally agree.

QB play
Strength of defense
Running game

The balance of strength in those areas is what's important for making a Superbowl run imo. Offensive line play informs the strength of the QB play and running game, however you still need skill in those areas for them to being strong points of your team.

Which is why I still believe that this team having a premier running game, if not a premier running back, is as important as improving the offensive line.

NO running back in the league today is capable of taking over a game without a line in front of him playing as a unit. None! I am not saying that the Vikings will have a dominant line like the Hogs. What I am saying is that the line, to be effective, has to play as a unit. 5 7th round picks playing as a unit is more effective than 5 individual first round players who are not a unit.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Virginia Viking wrote:
...the Redskins line of the 1980's, I don't think had any high draft picks except Mark May. They played perfectly together and won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks.

their O-Line was known as "the Hogs" and attracted fans like these guys every game who would dress in womens' clothes and hats and have pig snouts. they were pretty fun guys, 100's of them.

gotta love the devoted fans.

The guy on the far left is almost as much a master of disguise as was Artemus Gordon.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolmonite26 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Totally agree.

QB play
Strength of defense
Running game

A premier RB is nothing without a cohesive OL.

The key to winning is balance of all units, with no weaknesses that opponents can exploit. Also, winning the battle of field position and the net turnovers that impact field position.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Zimmer at Owners Meetings:

said he still hasn’t determined who to play at right guard. He said options include Jeremiah Sirles and having Nick Easton at center and Joe Berger on the right side.

on Reiff and Remmers: "I think we've improved at the two tackle spots... Both are smart guys. They play like veterans.''

said Riley Reiff and Mike Remmers are better run blockers than in pass protection. But says they're "adequate" in pass blocking.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
Freakout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:

said Riley Reiff and Mike Remmers are better run blockers than in pass protection. But says they're "adequate" in pass blocking.[/i]

I believe that will be the theme. They want to get the run game going and figure that will help take pressure off of Bradford.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:

said Riley Reiff and Mike Remmers are better run blockers than in pass protection. But says they're "adequate" in pass blocking.[/i]

I believe that will be the theme. They want to get the run game going and figure that will help take pressure off of Bradford.

It really does help out the offensive line if you can have the run game going.
You see less blitzes and it's easier to call out the defense.

Would make this offense work much better when you have a lot of 3 step drops to go along with this.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: No longer an offensive Offensive Line? (OL Thead v3) Reply with quote

Line is much improved. Not sure we need to spend a 2nd or 3rd. Vikings just need 1 inproved player - and not necessarily right guard. Boone could be right guard, if the Vikings draft Dawkins (i really like him- freeney is terrible). Hill could win the right tackle job and remmers could be at guard as well. Just two options outside of the obvious options of Sirles stepping up at rg or easton (Kerin) at center.
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: No longer an offensive Offensive Line? (OL Thead v3) Reply with quote

Purple Faithful wrote:
Line is much improved. Not sure we need to spend a 2nd or 3rd. Vikings just need 1 inproved player - and not necessarily right guard. Boone could be right guard, if the Vikings draft Dawkins (i really like him- freeney is terrible). Hill could win the right tackle job and remmers could be at guard as well. Just two options outside of the obvious options of Sirles stepping up at rg or easton (Kerin) at center.

I disagree. They need to spend a 2nd or 3rd on an offensive linemen. They haven't drafted a G in the 2nd round since the Tice era. That needs to change.

While I do think Sirles would do okay at the RG position, I'm not going to rest on my laurels and count on it. They need to develop some kind of depth at the position, and continuing to bring low-round OGs isn't going to cut it.

Thx to Lil Uno!
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see an OT added for depth, because of Reiff or Remmers gets hurt I do NOT want to see Clemmings back on the field. We need to add someone who can actually play LT.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: No longer an offensive Offensive Line? (OL Thead v3) Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Purple Faithful wrote:

I disagree. They need to spend a 2nd or 3rd on an offensive linemen. They haven't drafted a G in the 2nd round since the Tice era. That needs to change.

While I do think Sirles would do okay at the RG position, I'm not going to rest on my laurels and count on it. They need to develop some kind of depth at the position, and continuing to bring low-round OGs isn't going to cut it.
do you think a round 2 guard this year is as good as other years? I like Dawkins a ton, but why, if there are so few o-linemen, will he for sure be at 48? I think feeney is a round 5 guard, taking him round 2 doesnt make him better. The osu center looks ok, but not like he steps in and starts- think he is rd 3 or so.
I tend to think bpa, as guys can be traded, and injuries happen. I would have taken donald and traded floyd or rotated him, for instance. Barr was a need, but not in the same class as donald, and injuries happen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: