Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders sign Jared Cook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigD1123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I wonder if on his first TD we hear TOUCHDOWWWWWWWN RAAAAAAIDERS HE WENT TO JARED!!!!!!

Last edited by BigD1123 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigD1123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I wonder if on his first TD we hear TOUCHDOWWWWWWWN RAAAAAAIDERS HE WENT TO JARED!!!!!!
daineraider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigD1123 wrote:

It took you two tries to come up with that one? Wink

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
Rolni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this move.

Solid veteran TE option, who can block well and can make great catches.

He never really had a quality QB until last year with ARod. He showed what an impact player he can be in the PO and had an altogether solid year in GB, dispite the GB system is not a TE heavy\friendly system if I'm right.

I think he will have a really nice chemistry with Carr and can elevate our O. With his size and athleticism he will be a match up problem and he can truly create space for others IMO.

With Lee Smith back as our blocking TE and Cook on board as the pass catching TE (who can also block) and Walford as a young (hopefully) upcoming balanced TE we have a really nice group and also a group that can be used well and creatively.

We can expect more 2 and even 3 TE sets in the playbook IMO.

That TE group and Cook especially can finally give Carr a true security blanket and a valid option in the middle of the field.

With the more attention towards our TE position the D's won't be able to guard the WR's that much. Cooper or Crabs will get the double team most of the time, but with Cook in the mix the other WR's should have 1 on 1's a lot.
Add the S.Roberts, C.Patterson battle to the WR3 position and we should have an improved recieving corp alltogether.

With Cooper, Cook and Patterson we would have really explosive guys at multiple positions and that should make the life of the opposing D's a lot harder.

I hope Downing will get creative with CP and move him around, create mismatches. Use him from the slot, from the backfield and also put him on the outside and put Cooper inside to work against NCB's.

Add the shifty RB's in the picture and this Offense could be scary good IMO.

I think with this Cook signing (and the CP, MN signings earlier) RM just prepared ourselfes for a really D heavy draft, since we only need a bruising RB for the O.

I expect us to bring back Perry Riley to handle the MLB spot for one more year and then go into the draft with nice versatility. We can go BPA at LB, S, CB, DT early then get a RB and come back to the DB and\or LB positions for a double dipping.

I really like RM's approach for this offseason.
91jmay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
Not a fan if this signing. He's been extremely inconsistent his entire career. Anyone who thinks he's an "automatic" upgrade over Walford is being very veryyyy optimistic.

The only thing this signing does for us is make 2 TE passing situations a little more interesting.

When are people going to admit how bad Walford is? Bottom 10 TE starter in the league easily, possibly bottom 5.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
Not a fan if this signing. He's been extremely inconsistent his entire career. Anyone who thinks he's an "automatic" upgrade over Walford is being very veryyyy optimistic.

The only thing this signing does for us is make 2 TE passing situations a little more interesting.

When are people going to admit how bad Walford is? Bottom 10 TE starter in the league easily, possibly bottom 5.

Exactly. Fans love the 'potential', but it's not produced much of anything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

I had high hopes for him but I agree. Walford landed in a favorable spot - sure the top 2 pass-catching slots were filled, but Roberts had a poor season and we didnt get a ton out of our backs. So the 3rd role was open for anyone with solid hands/skills.. Walford failed to grab the spot. He can redeem himself - TEs often take a couple years to get it together - but I dont think we paid Cook 6m to be the backup. I see it playing out as Cook as the starter in name but really our pass-catching TE, Smith as our in-line, and Walford as our 50/50 guy. Will be a nice preseason battle to watch. If Walford shows improvement in his blocking, possible that Smith is let go..
DirtyHarry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

This ^^^ What's Walford standout skill ? he's not overly fast he's not that imposing size wise he honestly looks like JAG

JonesDrew32 wrote:
38-10 Chargers

This game should definitely bring some lulz from the Raiders side.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought Walford split the difference between Smith and Rivera. He wasn't better at blocking than Smith or receiving than Rivera, but he struck a nice middle ground.

His age and athletic testing suggests he's probably not going to break out to become a much better player than he's been, but he'll be in the league a long time whether or not he's in Oakland.
holyghost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaetano wrote:
91jmay wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

I had high hopes for him but I agree. Walford landed in a favorable spot - sure the top 2 pass-catching slots were filled, but Roberts had a poor season and we didnt get a ton out of our backs. So the 3rd role was open for anyone with solid hands/skills.. Walford failed to grab the spot. He can redeem himself - TEs often take a couple years to get it together - but I dont think we paid Cook 6m to be the backup. I see it playing out as Cook as the starter in name but really our pass-catching TE, Smith as our in-line, and Walford as our 50/50 guy. Will be a nice preseason battle to watch. If Walford shows improvement in his blocking, possible that Smith is let go..

Some of you guys are really guilty of wishful thinking to support narratives. Walford is not going to supplant Smith as a blocking TE. They love Smith, and this Cook signing is a pretty clear shot at how much they don't love Walford. Smith has a clear role, we put 6th lineman on the field all year to make up for his loss of role. Walford, what's his role? What's his skill? Where's his breakout everyone seems to be talking about again and again. Don't bet on the breakout, the front office just have you some insight into their real thoughts on it.

If I had a comp for Walford it would be Hayden. Seems the guy misses camp each year. This past year with the accident, that was a huge letdown. And that's not just a freak accident, it's an ATV. The difference here is that Hayden was a 1st rounder. But it's seeming to be the same "never going to break out" narrative. It's good to move forward with a more productive player. And yes, despite mediocre stats, Cook was quite productive for GB this past year. Through the playoffs too. Trade him off for a 6th or 7th during the draft. I'd personally much rather have a pick to use on a defender.

Let Walford battle it out with Ryan O Malley and Gabe Holmes for a roster spot. That's where he put himself with unprofessional conduct that cost the team (ATV), and not progressing overall as we all hoped. Who is ultimately responsible for his progression? Him.
rjones2990

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Packers fans loved him. Said he can block, and only had one drop last year. Very good when he's healthy and motivated.

motivation could be a concern if he has a big contract. he performed in GB on a 1 year deal

It is very much a concern for me. I watched him last year (Rodgers was my FF QB) and what I saw was a guy who would make the craziest grab on 2nd and long but was virtually non-existent on 3rd and short. I saw an "athletic" TE who wouldn't go up for passes that were slightly over his head, wouldn't reach out for passes not on the #'s. I saw a ton of passes he could have caught with a little effort simply float by him.

Lets not forget, Green Bay let him go in favor of Bennett and Kendricks. Not to harp too much, but neither of those guys have exactly been notable outside of a season or 2 for Bennett.

I would have much rather used the money elsewhere.

But, oh well, best of luck to him.
91jmay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Bay fans are almost universally positive on him, and he is on a very team friendly deal. We've upgraded the position from our current guys who are basically bums to a guy who has produced pretty reasonably in the past.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aaron Wilson‏Verified account
@AaronWilson_NFL

Jared Cook (Raiders) $10.6m, $5m gtd, salaries $2.5M (gtd), $5M; $2.5M 2017 gt roster bonus, $800K annual incentive, $300K workout bonus

Quote:
Former Packers TE Jared Cook's two-year deal with the Raiders is officially $10.6 million. There's another $1.6 million ($800,000 per year) in "not likely to be earned incentives" based on playing time, receptions and the Pro Bowl. The breakdown is this: In 2017, he has a $2.5 million guaranteed roster bonus on the 13th day of the league year, a $2.5 million base salary that also is guaranteed and a $300,000 workout bonus. In 2018, he has a $5 million base salary and a $300,000 workout bonus. So it's considerably less than what Martellus Bennett got from the Packers in his three-year, $21 million deal. Bennett will make $8.05 million the first year and $14.5 million total in the first two years.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

riceraider8080

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Cook signing. Great contract IMO and he gives Carr a much better safety valve than Walford. Walford is JAG and while Cook isn't special by any means, he's a moderately good TE with a lot of experience. If he starts I expect 40-50 catches and around 5 TDs out of him.

That said If Njoku is there at #24, I'd be ecstatic if we took him. We should still draft a TE tho I think. Walford is replacement level and we have very little behind him IMO. George Kittle, Jeremy Spinkle, Michael Roberts, and Sean Culkin are all day 3 prospects I like...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the signed. I really pushed for Cook on twitter. His blocking has really improved and was rated a better run blocker than more expensive Bennett. Provided he stays healthy I expect big things. Hopefully more double tight sets. Walford's blocking is horrendous. Signing Cook hopefully improves two positions, balanced and move TE, as Walford is by default the receiving TE, best suited to his skill set.

Z. Brown is the other FA I'm really hoping for.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: