Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seeing the Trees through the weeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neauone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Seeing the Trees through the weeds Reply with quote

Okay according to another football site, and one in which is well known for among other things.
Pro days, prospect visits etc.

The Jets have talked to/attended or had private workouts with 9 QB's and the one they have "really" set their attention to is Trubisky having been at his pro day, private workout, and met him at the combine.

The site reveals that the Jets have spoken with a total of 32 players.

One player the Jets have been all over and could be a definate pick at 2 is Center Pat Elflein who is not projected to make it to round 3.

As you know the Jets have a need at Center and according to scouts Elflein is someone who you could plug in immediately and play the next 10 years at the position.

Interesting enough was that the Jets have only spoken to one CB of note and 2 safeties none of which are say a top 10 pick.

In fact of all the players they have spoken to most are lower draft choices or FA types.

So what does this all mean?

There are 2 postions of need which are glaring QB and C, now we know that this is not a great year for OL.

Likewise it is a good year for CB's and this draft is loaded with them, so I can see the Jets adding one in round 3.

Look for the Jets to add a RB as well, they have spoken to 3, 2 of which would be considered in rounds 1-4.

So there you have it, conversely many of the players on this site which the Jets looked at in previous years.

Usually they come away with about 3 players.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the forest through the trees*

I'd be shocked if Macc wanted to telegraph his draft selection this year at the most important position when he's been tight lipped the last two years. I also don't think center in round 2 will happen unless they feel he is BPA. I think round 2 will hinge on how round 1 goes.

TE -> FS/RB
RB -> FS/CB
FS -> RB/LB
QB -> FS/CB

I could see the line of thinking being something like this with BPA kept in mind.
neauone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: familiar Reply with quote

I'm familar with the phrase "see the forest through the trees".

It was intentional.

The weeds represent all the blather that is being tossed about, like weeds so high you can't see the reality of what the Jets are doing.

That being said, I'm sure they have talked to 100 players.

But of the 32 that they have looked at 9 of them have been QB's which is saying something.

The Jets will, WILL draft a QB, where and when only needs to be determined.

The 49ers need a QB, as does Cleveland, as does Chicago, as does the Jets as does the Texan's.

I doubt the top 2 get out of the top 10, perhaps top 3 out the top 10 will be QB's.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm trying to figure out what an organization is going to do, I always look at the motivations of the decision makers involved. Sometimes people surprise you, but the odds are usually in your favor if you bet on people doing self serving things.

You could see what was going on with Bowles last season when he was so hesitant to go to Geno, Petty, or Hack last season. He wanted to post as many wins as possible to protect his job. He didn't have the long range best interests of the Jets first and foremost in his mind. Not saying it's a crime, it just is what it is.

So if we look at the current situation, Macc knows Bowles is on the hot seat, but so will he if he doesn't score well with this draft. For that reason, I'd be shocked if he will want to make a bold move by drafting a QB at 6. Maybe if he trades back and picks up another high pick, he'll pull the trigger on a QB. For example, if he were to get an additional second round pick for Richardson, and say Mahones or Kizer were there, I could see him picking them.

I can't imagine he'd pass on a top talent though and gamble on picking a QB in the early first. There's a good chance the QB wouldn't even be ready to contribute before another decision has to be made about the regime at the end of the 2017 season. And if the guy looks like a dud from jump street ala Jared Goff, it would most likely be over for Macc and Bowles by the end of the year.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that our two glaring needs are QB and C. We absolutely don't have a QB but with a vet and 2 young guys poised to duke it out I think we are more than okay with rolling with that. I could see us adding a QB to compete with Petty but unless we covet someone I think our picks could be better used to fill out the roster and help evaluate the QBs we already have.

It doesn't appear like we tried to bring in a center during FA and we didn't even try to negotiate with Mangold so I really don't think Macc thinks that is a hole or he is at least willing to experiment for this season and add players to areas that could see a higher return.

I agree we COULD add a QB or a C at some point but I don't believe those are high priority. If one of those happens to be BPA then go for it.
Jets913

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walterfootball.com visit tracker i'm assuming?
neauone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Correct Reply with quote

Your assumption is correct.
PaulieIceman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the pick is going to be QB or S if one of the top two fall. If Mac thinks Hack is progressing, then we go S. If Hack is not looking like a guy for the future, I could easily see trubisky being the pick and wouldn't argue with it at all. But eventually we need to start seeing these young guys play.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulieIceman wrote:
I think the pick is going to be QB or S if one of the top two fall. If Mac thinks Hack is progressing, then we go S. If Hack is not looking like a guy for the future, I could easily see trubisky being the pick and wouldn't argue with it at all. But eventually we need to start seeing these young guys play.

How is Hack supposed to prove himself between now and draft time? He needs a legit camp and legit reps and gametime before we waste a premium pick on another QB. I really hope we dont go Qb at 6, would be such a setback for us in such a weak class. If Trubisky falls into round 2...different story.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
PaulieIceman wrote:

How is Hack supposed to prove himself between now and draft time? He needs a legit camp and legit reps and gametime before we waste a premium pick on another QB. I really hope we dont go Qb at 6, would be such a setback for us in such a weak class. If Trubisky falls into round 2...different story.
He's clearly talking about his progression over the course of the year, last year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
PaulieIceman wrote:

He's clearly talking about his progression over the course of the year, last year.

Exactly this. How has he progressed since draft day 2016? All the experts can make their predictions and have their opinions but the only people who REALLY know are inside the building. As far as this years draft class, if you think you can get THE guy at QB and he wont be there for round 2 pick, you have to take him if Hack clearly isnt that option. Im personally rooting for him and want to see what he's got.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulieIceman wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
PaulieIceman wrote:

Exactly this. How has he progressed since draft day 2016? All the experts can make their predictions and have their opinions but the only people who REALLY know are inside the building. As far as this years draft class, if you think you can get THE guy at QB and he wont be there for round 2 pick, you have to take him if Hack clearly isnt that option. Im personally rooting for him and want to see what he's got.

I think we brought in Morton because we want to put Hack in a position to succeed. This is also why TE could very well be the pick at 6. If you look at the moves we made I think there is a clear smoke screen for QB. Macc likes someone and wants them to fall to us. I'd bet my signature for the season on it.
PaulieIceman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
PaulieIceman wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
PaulieIceman wrote:

I think we brought in Morton because we want to put Hack in a position to succeed. This is also why TE could very well be the pick at 6. If you look at the moves we made I think there is a clear smoke screen for QB. Macc likes someone and wants them to fall to us. I'd bet my signature for the season on it.

I hope so. I personally want one of the two top safeties but wouldnt be upset with Howard either. Im torn on Fournette as of now.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I'd be happy with any of those 4. Anyone else and I'd be pretty ticked off. I understand the hesitation on Fournette because of the wear and tear he's taken so far. Adams/Hooker/Howard likely have the quickest impact at some of our weakest positions.
PaulieIceman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
Yea I'd be happy with any of those 4. Anyone else and I'd be pretty ticked off. I understand the hesitation on Fournette because of the wear and tear he's taken so far. Adams/Hooker/Howard likely have the quickest impact at some of our weakest positions.

With RB I think we can get similar talent in round 2 in someone like Mixon, though I am not sure if he is on the jets board. This is a deep TE class as well, thats why my gut feeling tells me its either a S or QB, again, depending on how the feel about Hack, and to a lesser extent, petty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: