Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agents v2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NormSizedMidget


Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 17806
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/3/20/14987170/packers-show-interest-in-free-agent-db-josh-hill-californi

Playmakerz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bkobow05


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 73794
Location: Milwaukee, WI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancerman wrote:
Now Florio laid out a third option where a third team gets involved.

1. A team with a draft pick somewhere from 20-30 works out an agreement with the Saints where they give Butler an offer for something the Patriots won't match.

2. That team gives a low first round draft pick to the Patriots for Butle.r

3. The Saints trade the 11 to that team in return for Butler and a second round pick.

That is possible.


Would y'all bite? Basically using cap space to move up from 29 to 11 by giving up 61. Not sure if it would work for us or not though (not entirely sure the type of cap space we have).
_________________

Eric "Korean Jesus" Thames
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BrettFavre004


Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 20577
Location: Galesville, WI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
Now Florio laid out a third option where a third team gets involved.

1. A team with a draft pick somewhere from 20-30 works out an agreement with the Saints where they give Butler an offer for something the Patriots won't match.

2. That team gives a low first round draft pick to the Patriots for Butle.r

3. The Saints trade the 11 to that team in return for Butler and a second round pick.

That is possible.


Would y'all bite? Basically using cap space to move up from 29 to 11 by giving up 61. Not sure if it would work for us or not though (not entirely sure the type of cap space we have).

If Reuben Foster is there at 11, do it. Cool
_________________


http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 49070
Location: mike23md on the dope sig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:
Would y'all bite? Basically using cap space to move up from 29 to 11 by giving up 61. Not sure if it would work for us or not though (not entirely sure the type of cap space we have).


Putting realism aside for a second, no. Can't see the Packers doing this. As I've discussed before, trading up in the 1st round is unwise because you're taking away more picks. So unless you're planning on moving down from 11 and reacquiring a 2nd round pick OR you know a legitimate stud is going to be available at 11 I don't see how you make that deal.
_________________

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Pugger


Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 14706
Location: N. Fort Myers, FL
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/3/20/14987170/packers-show-interest-in-free-agent-db-josh-hill-californi

Playmakerz


Who is this player? I never heard of him...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NormSizedMidget


Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 17806
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/3/20/14987170/packers-show-interest-in-free-agent-db-josh-hill-californi

Playmakerz


Who is this player? I never heard of him...


Nobody has it seems.

I'm sure it's just due diligence to fill the 90 and nothing else but it's "FA season" so people are reading into it more (not here, just elsewhere).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Siman08/OH


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 1962
Location: Ohio
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts,

Blount? Why not? Just an older version of Lacy, paired with Monty i dont think it would be a bad idea. Although Patriots fans would have a field day with us.

I still think anyone who doesn't want Sherman/Butler is nuts. If the Packers could pull it off it would be a game changer.

CB/CB in the draft is just repeating what we did 2 years ago expecting different and faster results...why do people want to do that? Corner and QB are the 2 positions that it takes the longest to develop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 12038
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siman08/OH wrote:
Some thoughts,

Blount? Why not? Just an older version of Lacy, paired with Monty i dont think it would be a bad idea. Although Patriots fans would have a field day with us.

I still think anyone who doesn't want Sherman/Butler is nuts. If the Packers could pull it off it would be a game changer.

CB/CB in the draft is just repeating what we did 2 years ago expecting different and faster results...why do people want to do that? Corner and QB are the 2 positions that it takes the longest to develop.


First off on Blount. Meh wouldn't hate it, wouldn't love it, as long as it's cheap. Otherwise that's a position I'm fine rolling with rookies.

I absolutely don't want Sherman or Butler. I don't want to give up high picks AND a massive contract. I don't think either are worth what they are likely to cost.

Absolutely no need to go CB/CB unless the value is there. There are enough CBs on the roster, just a question of if there is a real #1 guy.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vegas492


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 1464
Location: Pewaukee, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
I really like Richard Sherman...

...but not on this team...


I can see it both ways. Why do you vote no?


Sherman's game is suited for a press coverage vs. a zone coverage. We tend to run a lot more zone than press. Then you're talking about a guy who doesn't give us the speed we need on the boundary. Speedier receivers took Gunter's lunch money last season on a routine basis. If anything, Sherman is a slightly bigger, slightly faster version of Gunter.


We don't run more zone than press. We prefer press-man if we have the guys to run it. The reason Hayward left/had a soft market here was his style as a zone cover corner and not as a boundary-man type.


Aren't all our CBs better at press-man? House and Gunter especially. But either Randall was playing VERY hurt last year or he doesn't have zone down yet. Very well could be that he was hurt, but he's always looked better in man.

I don't think we should give up a 1st for Sherman. But let's say it happens. Isn't he probably better than any CB we can draft this year? Stud class but he's still a top 5 CB.

GB really doesn't have the cap space for that contract right after 2017.
I think next year they are $35M or so under the cap, but with only 30 or 31 players under contracts.
In order to take on a contract like that, there would need to be a lot of re-working of deals. Like Rodgers, Matthews, Cobb and Nelson.
_________________
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
packfanfb


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 1668
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siman08/OH wrote:
Some thoughts,

Blount? Why not? Just an older version of Lacy, paired with Monty i dont think it would be a bad idea. Although Patriots fans would have a field day with us.

I still think anyone who doesn't want Sherman/Butler is nuts. If the Packers could pull it off it would be a game changer.

CB/CB in the draft is just repeating what we did 2 years ago expecting different and faster results...why do people want to do that? Corner and QB are the 2 positions that it takes the longest to develop.


I'd take Blount. Guy is a great short yardage back and a good runner inside of the 5, something Lacy was not good at.

Give me Sherman over Butler (I think Butler is a bit overrated). Again, it depends on your prospective, but I think if we pulled a move like that and got Sherman, the addition of a player like that alone puts us at 1 or 1a in the NFC. Currently, that is not the case. I'd easily give up a 2nd round pick for him, without blinking. We currently have zero money invested in the CB position so taking on Sherman's contact shouldn't cripple us by any means. Might just mean we can't give Matthews or Cobb another $15 million/year deal next time around. Shucks.

As for CB/CB, it depends on what is available. We need CBs and if we aren't going to sign/trade for one other than House, I wouldn't be opposed to CB/CB if two very good players are there versus a lesser OLB/RB/G prospect. Just depends on how the board falls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
smetana34


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 4173
Location: Chippewa Falls, WI
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

packfanfb wrote:

I'd take Blount. Guy is a great short yardage back and a good runner inside of the 5, something Lacy was not good at.


No, he's really not.

mcmurty86 wrote:

3 yards or shorter:

Morris 16 runs, 10 first downs (or touchdowns)
Blount 56 runs, 33 first downs (or touchdowns)

For those curious for Blount's breakdown:

1 yard to go: 33 attempts, 24 first downs
2 yards to go: 13 attempts, 5 first downs
3 yards to go: 10 attempts, 4 first downs

Overall: 59%

For a random comparison, I took

Carlos Hyde:

1 yard to go: 14 attempts, 10 first downs
2 yards to go: 10 attempts, 6 first downs
3 yards to go: 7 attempts, 3 first downs

Overall 61%

DeMarco Murray

1 yard to go: 30 attempts, 23 first downs
2 yards to go: 14 attempts, 9 first downs
3 yards to go: 11 attempts, 3 first downs

Overall 64%

Lamar Miller

1 yard to go: 16 attempts, 13 first downs
2 yards to go: 15 attempts, 11 first downs
3 yards to go: 8 attempts, 5 first downs

Overall 74%

Blount isn't the worst at short yardage guy in the world but he's not especially good and gets badly overrated in that aspect.


59% conversation rate. That's pretty gross.
_________________
Uncle Buck wrote:

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."
incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralFC


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 11626
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smetana34 wrote:
packfanfb wrote:

I'd take Blount. Guy is a great short yardage back and a good runner inside of the 5, something Lacy was not good at.


No, he's really not.

mcmurty86 wrote:

3 yards or shorter:

Morris 16 runs, 10 first downs (or touchdowns)
Blount 56 runs, 33 first downs (or touchdowns)

For those curious for Blount's breakdown:

1 yard to go: 33 attempts, 24 first downs
2 yards to go: 13 attempts, 5 first downs
3 yards to go: 10 attempts, 4 first downs

Overall: 59%

For a random comparison, I took

Carlos Hyde:

1 yard to go: 14 attempts, 10 first downs
2 yards to go: 10 attempts, 6 first downs
3 yards to go: 7 attempts, 3 first downs

Overall 61%

DeMarco Murray

1 yard to go: 30 attempts, 23 first downs
2 yards to go: 14 attempts, 9 first downs
3 yards to go: 11 attempts, 3 first downs

Overall 64%

Lamar Miller

1 yard to go: 16 attempts, 13 first downs
2 yards to go: 15 attempts, 11 first downs
3 yards to go: 8 attempts, 5 first downs

Overall 74%

Blount isn't the worst at short yardage guy in the world but he's not especially good and gets badly overrated in that aspect.


59% conversation rate. That's pretty gross.


Yeah, size is overrated heavily in favoring bigger backs in short yardage situations. Vision and acceleration through the hole are much more important. You just need to be able to shake one guy or break a few arm tackles, and most backs can do that. But finding the crease in that split second is more valuable (and more difficult) than being a 250 pound hammer.

Seemed like Lacy was better as he felt out the blockers and then could hit the hole, build up steam, and then become dangerous as a downhill runner. But when it came to short yard opportunities, he was average or below.

Ahman Green though in those short yard spots. Hot damn. That run against Denver in 2003 (Week 17)...see ya!
_________________
packerjmf wrote:
GWH87 wrote:
Somebody take the off season shovel out of Ted's hands & bury him in his own hole.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chili


Joined: 13 May 2014
Posts: 604
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy with work and going away for the weekend so this is the first chance ive had to update my street free agent list. Thankfully not much has happened Laughing

Street free agents list:

Cornerback
Davon House - Packers
Alterruan Verner
Darrelle Revis
Leodis Mckelvin
Ifo Ekpre Olomu
Tramon Williams
Justin Gilbert
Shareece Wright
Brandon Flowers
Nickell Robey-Coleman - Vikings interested
Patrick Robinson

Safety
Kendrick Lewis
Phillip Thomas
Antoine Bethea - Arizona
Jairus Byrd
Lardarius Webb - Vikings interested
Corey Graham

Running Back
Jamaal Charles - visiting Seattle
Mike Tolbert - Bills
Rashad Jennings
Khiry Robinson
Karlos Williams
Tyler Gaffney

Wide Receiver
Brandon Marshall - NYG
Andrew Hawkins
Victor Cruz
Torrey Smith - Eagles
Stevie Johnson

Offensive Line
Nick Mangold
Breno Giacomini
Jared Vollmer
Brandon Fusco
Mike Harris
D.J. Fluker -Giants
Marcus Martin - Browns
King Dunlap

Defensive Line
Jared Odrick
Mario Williams
Paul Soliai
Connor Wujciak
Al Woods - Colts
Tyson Jackson
Sen'Derrick Marks
Roy Miller
Ricky Jean-Francois- visited Seahawks

Linebackers
Dqwell Jackson
Elvis Dumervil
Connor Barwin - Rams
DeAndre Levy
Eugene Sims

Tight End
Lance Kendricks - Packers
Gerald Christian

Quarterback
Robert Griffin III
Chase Daniel - visited Saints & Jets
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cakeshoppe


Joined: 27 Jul 2014
Posts: 2625
Location: California
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we just scoop up all the remaining QBs and deal them out for picks once guys start going down in TC/preseason
_________________


svp wrote:
svp@svp superbowl

Bias Disclaimer: Green Bay Packers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Victor1124


Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 382
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Elvis Dumervil? He could pretty much replace Peppers. I am hoping we draft an EDGE in the first or second but would still like another veteran at that position.

Also, wouldnt mind us picking up a D-Lineman, I know we don't play that many but feel like we are still thin there; wouldn't mind a guy like Tyson Jackson.

Any RBs besides Blount out there that would be a good pick up?

Lastly, I know he plays more boundary and probably isn't as versatile but could Gunter move into the Hyde roll even if it's a couple years from know? A player with good instincts but lacks the athletic ability to really be a top 3 corner or is he just not that good?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 75 of 100

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group