Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hokie mock 2.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hokie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Hokie mock 2.0 Reply with quote

Assumptions – Maualuga cut, Pacman not cut, McCarron not traded, no other significant free agent acquisitions (Gilberry and Peerman re-signed). This is what I think the Bengals will do, not necessarily what I would do.

1. Browns – Myles Garrett
2. Niners – Solomon Thomas
3. Bears – Marshon Lattimore
4. TRADE – Browns – Desean Watson
5. Titans – Jamal Adams
6. Jets – Mitch Trubisky
7. Chargers – Malik Hooker
8. Panthers – Leonard Fournette
9. Bengals – Jonathan Allen, DE/DT, Alabama

With the signing of Minter, in addition to potential shoulder/size issues, I think Foster is off the board (though in this scenario, I'd be perfectly content with Allen, Foster, or Davis). Allen slips to 9 as he has size concerns – is he too short for DE? Too light for DT? Regardless, Allen is a highly talented player who would immediately bolster the pass rush, which is what the Bengals desperately need. He doesn’t fit the mold of what the Bengals like at DE (he’s only 6’3) and they could target another DE later in the draft. Allen would provide an immediate impact on 3rd down and would fit somewhere as a full 3 down starter down the line (I think he eventually becomes more of a DT than DE). In the meantime, he makes the Bengals 4 man rush pretty scary with him, Geno, Dunlap, and TBD.

My grade for this pick: A- (he would be a boon to the pass rush, which is the team’s biggest weakness, IMO; you can figure out the positional fit later)

2nd round – Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma

Popular 2nd round pick for the Bengals lately. On talent alone, he’s a fine pick here, as he is an ultra talented player and one of the most explosive backs to come out in a while. He is an outstanding pass catching option as well, and can add a dimension to the return game. However, unless you’ve been living under a rock, you probably know he has some of the biggest off-the-field red flags of anyone in the draft in recent years. The Bengals interviewed him early and will likely be taking a RB by the end of round 4; assuming he’s still here (I think he will be), the Bengals will have to decide if he’s worth the PR hit they’re going to take, in addition to if they believe he’ll stay out of trouble as a pro.

My grade for this pick: C- (I don’t like taking RBs early and I think he’d be a disaster in a locker room with Pacman and Burifict; that said, he’s easily the 3rd best back in this draft and isn’t THAT far behind the other two, IMO. In this scenario, I'd rather go WR or even DE again)

3rd round – Josh Jones, S, NC St.

Safety isn’t a pressing need but I think it’s an underrated one. Behind Iloka and Williams (who have both been up and down), the Bengals have little to no depth. Smith has played well in limited chances but is small and has battled injuries. Jones showed well at the combine; has an excellent size/speed combo and is super aggressive. Guy plays with an edge and can be downright mean; he’ll scare opposing receivers but will likely get hit with some illegal hits at times. Gives the Bengals insurance in case Iloka/Williams and could work his way into the starting lineup sooner than people think. Dude could easily go in round 2.

Grade: A- (S isn’t a huge need but I love this kid as a prospect – he’s an eventual starter)

4A - Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida St.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know the Bengals OL, which was weak last year, has taken a step back this off-season. I think Ogbuehi will be handed the LT job and Fisher will be given every opportunity to win RT, but there isn’t much depth whatsoever behind them. Smith was apparently signed to play RG and that just leaves us with… Winston? This year’s draft is weak for OL but I suspect the Bengals will take one before the end of the 4th round. Johnson is a very intriguing guy – guy looks the part of a starting OT in the NFL. Tall with long arms and a powerful run blocker. His technique is poor however; if Paul Alexander is the OL guru so many say he is, this is the kind of guy he can mold into a starting RT, as the physical traits are there, but he’s not fundamentally sound.

Grade: B (has potential and adds needed depth at OT)

4B – Mack Hollins, WR, UNC

Most of us believe WR is a pretty big need and the Bengals really need a vertical threat. Unfortunately, I don’t think the Bengals view this as high of a priority as the rest of us. I do think they add a WR at some point in the draft, however (I mean, they have 11 picks). Hollins has an outstanding size/speed combo and fits the bill of a deep threat. Has the physical traits to go higher but he’s very raw (his route tree is quite limited) and production in college didn’t match his physical tools. However, he’s a guy the Bengals will potentially like because he has extensive special teams experience (remember the James Wright selection when no one had ever heard of him?). Hollins would contribute as a rookie on special teams and would help open up the field with his deep threat ability.

Grade: B+ (love his size/speed combo but he’s raw – upside could be limited to a pure deep threat)

5A – Matt Milano, LB, Boston College

Another ACC pick, coincidentally. Milano had a good combine, is a technically sound LB, has good speed, and has significant experience on special teams (again, this is a trait the Bengals look for in late rounds). Won’t get drafted very early though because he’s small (6’0, 223). Really strikes me as a guy who will get overlooked but will carve out a nice, yet unspectacular, career in the NFL (think Vinnie Rey).

Grade: B (solid, unsexy pick who adds depth and would contribute on special teams as a rookie).

5B – Derek Rivers, DE, Youngstown St.

The Bengals need pass rushers badly, and fortunately for them, this is one of the deeper DE classes in recent years. There will be good guys available on day 3. Rivers offers pass rush potential but obviously will need work due to playing against inferior competition in college. Highly productive in college however; not great against the run but could develop into a solid situational pass rusher. Decent size as well.

Grade: B (Rivers would be a solid need/value pick in the 5th round. May be a practice squad candidate)

6A – Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona St.

Fans should love this pick, given the Bengals kicking woes in recent years. They’ve already interviewed Gonzalez, which tells you they’re seriously looking at him. 23-25 his senior year, 7-9 from 50+. Would compete (and probably beat out) Bullock for the starting gig.

Grade: A- (it would be nice to see the Bengals take the kicking game seriously for once)

6B – Sean Harlow, OG/OC, Oregon St.

Adds depth to the interior offensive line; played OT in college but not a good fit for him in the NFL. Technique needs work and is a likely practice squad candidate in year 1, but could be a decent swing guy down the line.

Grade: C+ (nothing sexy about this pick – adds depth)

7A: Cooper Rush, QB, Central Michigan

Really smart dude and highly accurate. Just doesn’t have a great arm (at all). A guy to compete with Driskel for the QB3 spot and possibly Dalton’s backup down the line. His upside is limited but I think he has legit backup QB potential.

Grade: B+ (as mentioned, I think he has real potential to be a decent backup QB)

7B – Art Maulet , CB, Memphis

Small but athletic corner who produced in college. Possible practice squad candidate. What, you didn’t seriously think the Bengals would go the entire draft without taking a corner? It's likely they take one earlier, to be honest. The Bengals love them some CBs.

Grade: C (hard to make much out of picks this late in the draft; you don’t hit on these guys very often)

Overall: B+

Allen isn’t a pure DE but I’d rather have a more talented player than a lesser talent who is a better fit for your profile (i.e. Taco Charlton). Mixon has potential to be a highly productive RB but his character flaws would scare me away; I’m not sure it will the Bengals. I would rather see a WR taken earlier but I do like Adams a lot as a safety prospect. This mock has the Bengals making some very solid picks in the middle rounds, IMO. Given how I like the 1st rounder and rounds 3-5 (plus, a kicker), this would grade as a very solid draft for me. The only pick here that I really don't care for is Mixon in the 2nd.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is solid. I like Allen and Roderick Johnson. Not a fan of Jones in the 3rd. I think we have much bigger needs than safety.

Obviously love Gonzalez.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
It is solid. I like Allen and Roderick Johnson. Not a fan of Jones in the 3rd. I think we have much bigger needs than safety.

Obviously love Gonzalez.

Agree with all of this...
KennyBania

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like we are one of the most predictable drafting teams in the league.

I would be shocked if Mixon and Gonzalez aren't drafted by us.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hokie mock 2.0 Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:

R1#009. Jonathan Allen, DE/DT, Alabama
R2#041. Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma
R3#073. Josh Jones, S, NC St.
R4#116. Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida St.
R4#138. Mack Hollins, WR, UNC
R5#153. Matt Milano, LB, Boston College
R5#176. Derek Rivers, DE, Youngstown St.
R6#193. Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona St.
R6#217. Sean Harlow, OG/OC, Oregon St.
R7#227. Cooper Rush, QB, Central Michigan
R7#251. Art Maulet , CB, Memphis.

* You've gone 2 x DL/ 2 x DB/ 2 x OL/ LB/ RB/ WR/ QB/ K. I'm fine with that mix of position picks, just not some of the guys selected !!!!
* Not sold on Allen for us. IMO, he's Geno-like; a UT type, where we need upgrades on the nose and at end.
* I love Mixon, the athlete; he could be sensational for us as an upgrade over Hill and can do stuff that Rex did. He's a fine receiver too. Just a shame about his history. It isn't possible for us to be less popular nationally than we are, so I for one wouldn't be too upset if we took Mixon @ #41. I'm cool with anything that potentially moves us on from Hill. The Steelers signed Knile Davis today; I'd have happily taken Davis and moved Hill on for a late draft pick.
* Don't understand why you haven't taken a proper LT; we need a back-up behind Ogbuehi; (yikes). Roderick Johnson is a NFL guard IMO. Dan Skipper may be a better bet @ #116. Still; wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals took Robinson or Ramzyck @ #9. We have 4 guys that have played RT, but only one LT.....we need a back-up LT.
* Would be happier with a corner @ #73 and a FS @ #251. A first round but injured talent like Sidney Jones may still be there at #73, and there will probably be some interesting corner/ safeties around later; (like Rayshawn Jenkins/ Treston Decoud/ Delano Hill/ Jeremy Clark and Ahmad Thomas).
Hokie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hokie mock 2.0 Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
Hokie wrote:

R1#009. Jonathan Allen, DE/DT, Alabama
R2#041. Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma
R3#073. Josh Jones, S, NC St.
R4#116. Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida St.
R4#138. Mack Hollins, WR, UNC
R5#153. Matt Milano, LB, Boston College
R5#176. Derek Rivers, DE, Youngstown St.
R6#193. Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona St.
R6#217. Sean Harlow, OG/OC, Oregon St.
R7#227. Cooper Rush, QB, Central Michigan
R7#251. Art Maulet , CB, Memphis.

* You've gone 2 x DL/ 2 x DB/ 2 x OL/ LB/ RB/ WR/ QB/ K. I'm fine with that mix of position picks, just not some of the guys selected !!!!
* Not sold on Allen for us. IMO, he's Geno-like; a UT type, where we need upgrades on the nose and at end.
* I love Mixon, the athlete; he could be sensational for us as an upgrade over Hill and can do stuff that Rex did. He's a fine receiver too. Just a shame about his history. It isn't possible for us to be less popular nationally than we are, so I for one wouldn't be too upset if we took Mixon @ #41. I'm cool with anything that potentially moves us on from Hill. The Steelers signed Knile Davis today; I'd have happily taken Davis and moved Hill on for a late draft pick.
* Don't understand why you haven't taken a proper LT; we need a back-up behind Ogbuehi; (yikes). Roderick Johnson is a NFL guard IMO. Dan Skipper may be a better bet @ #116. Still; wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals took Robinson or Ramzyck @ #9. We have 4 guys that have played RT, but only one LT.....we need a back-up LT.
* Would be happier with a corner @ #73 and a FS @ #251. A first round but injured talent like Sidney Jones may still be there at #73, and there will probably be some interesting corner/ safeties around later; (like Rayshawn Jenkins/ Treston Decoud/ Delano Hill/ Jeremy Clark and Ahmad Thomas).

Thanks for the feedback, LB. Hope things are well across the pond!

- Truthfully, I'm not crazy about Allen either. However, I think the Bengals will, in all likelihood, take a pass rusher at 9. Maybe Foster isn't off the board, but I don't think they're going LB at 9; that leaves Howard or a WR, which is possible... but given how pass rushers are the big need, I think that's what they probably go with.

With the way the board fell, the choice is Allen, one of the guys I mentioned above, or Taco Charlton. Let's say they're hellbent on taking a rusher (not a certainty, but humor me here); if the choice is between a guy who fits their scheme/mold a bit more (Charlton) but is a lesser talent, or the guy who you don't quite know where he fits schematically but you know he can contribute immediately (and is probably a superior talent), I would hope they'd go with the better talent. I view Charlton has having a much lower floor and not necessarily a higher ceiling; I wonder if they do the same.

If the board falls the way I predicted, my first choice would be to trade back to the teens but assuming they had to stay, Foster would be my first choice, followed by Corey Davis then Allen (I'm undecided on Howard).

- I tend to agree with you on Mixon, in terms of how he's an elite talent and how the Bengals are already viewed unfavorably among the national media and general NFL fans, but my concern is that we don't have a strong enough locker room for him. Aside from his blocking abilities, I think the Bengals will severely miss Whit's leadership; I'm hoping Dalton and Green will step up in that department, but with guys like Burifict and Pacman in the locker room, I think we are what we are. I could easily see Mixon getting in trouble not long into his tenure in Cincy (he has character concerns beyond the punching episode).

- I think Johnson projects more as a RT than anything else; in this scenario, Fisher would be the LT (he's start at RT and swing to the left side if Ogbuehi got hurt). I wouldn't lock myself into taking a set side of the offensive line. If we draft an OT, it should be the best available, IMO.

- I don't see the need for a corner, but I also haven't seen it in recent years while the team keeps drafting them anyway. I don't see us cutting Pacman (I think if we were we would have already), Dre is back, you have two 1st round corners behind them, a kid in Shaw who has played well, and they like Benwikere. That's a lot of corners. I wouldn't put it past them to draft another one highly, given their infatuation with drafting corners and not playing them, but I think it would be a total waste.

Like I mentioned already, after the two starters, we don't have much at all behind safety. I wouldn't reach for one, but if a good talent is available in rounds 3 or 4, I wouldn't hesitate to take one.

Thanks for the feedback LB, ocho, villian. And agreed, Kenny (it's not gold, Jerry...)
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hokie mock 2.0 Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:

- Truthfully, I'm not crazy about Allen either. However, I think the Bengals will, in all likelihood, take a pass rusher at 9. Maybe Foster isn't off the board, but I don't think they're going LB at 9; that leaves Howard or a WR, which is possible... but given how pass rushers are the big need, I think that's what they probably go with.

With the way the board fell, the choice is Allen, one of the guys I mentioned above, or Taco Charlton. Let's say they're hellbent on taking a rusher (not a certainty, but humor me here); if the choice is between a guy who fits their scheme/mold a bit more (Charlton) but is a lesser talent, or the guy who you don't quite know where he fits schematically but you know he can contribute immediately (and is probably a superior talent), I would hope they'd go with the better talent. I view Charlton has having a much lower floor and not necessarily a higher ceiling; I wonder if they do the same.

With most teams, I would absolutely agree that you take the better talent. Unfortunately, these are our Bengals, and they have historically sucked at taking players and making them fit. I literally can think of no one where this worked, but I can think of plenty where it didn't (Justin Smith, Pollack, Ogbuehi, Moch, etc.).

So I woul;d be hesitant about Allen at #9. He's not nearly as explosive as Thomas, who i think projects better to the outside, despite being similar college players. he reminds me of another Alabam guy we took years ago....Johnathan Copeland, a tweener that never truly fit here.

Personally, I'd think about trading back, or just pick between Davis, Foster and Taco.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hokie mock 2.0 Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, LB. Hope things are well across the pond!

Thanks 'Hokie'; good to see the mocks coming fast !!! Its all good over here; (apart from some idiots on tonights news broadcast trying to shoot-up our parliament !!!). Just had an evening over here with some Bengal beer-buddies, looking at the photos taken at the Wembley game last year. Never thought I'd see the day when 30,000 Bengal jerseys would half-fill an orange & black Wembley !!! Shame we tied the game; (taxi for Nugent) ......

Hokie wrote:
Thanks for the feedback LB, ocho, villian. And agreed, Kenny (it's not gold, Jerry...)

We have so many glaring needs this year; (OL-running game/ pass-rush/ flanker field-stretcher opposite AJ); I just don't think we go BPA this year; a LB like Foster is just a 'luxury' pick IMO we can't afford; particularly in a draft that is deeper defensively that on O.

Just my 2-penneth 'Hokie'; and it'll be fun watching.......
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hokie mock 2.0 Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
Unfortunately, these are our Bengals, and they have historically sucked at taking players and making them fit. I literally can think of no one where this worked, but I can think of plenty where it didn't (Justin Smith, Pollack, Ogbuehi, Moch, etc.).

.....not forgetting the all time classic; Reinard Wilson in '97..... God, was that really 20 years ago.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: