Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Offseason Thread v.2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DizzyDean wrote:
regarding our safeties, I doubt we sign both, but I would be fine if we did. Then for the draft I would really like to see Garrett at 1, Howard at 12, and hope that somehow Peppers falls to 33, or maybe trade up a bit from 33 to get him.

well I like the idea of signing a safety because it will be for at least 3-4 year deal. It wont be a one year deal.

Also if the Browns are going to draft a safety, they want a pure safety. Specially if they sign someone like McDougald who will be more of a box safety. So the browns would need more of a coverage safety.

I rather the Browns draft a pure safety then this conceived "nickel player" or more like a tweener player. Someone not good enough to be a full time safety and good enough to be a full time linebacker.

If Peppers was better at coverage I would consider him but he truly isnt that great at coverage.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DizzyDean wrote:
regarding our safeties, I doubt we sign both, but I would be fine if we did. Then for the draft I would really like to see Garrett at 1, Howard at 12, and hope that somehow Peppers falls to 33, or maybe trade up a bit from 33 to get him.

I want nothing to do with Peppers unless we have two starting caliber safetys ahead of him at FS and SS. I keep telling people the worst thing we can do is rely on him as a foundational player with coverage responsibilities.
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
DizzyDean wrote:

I want nothing to do with Peppers unless we have two starting caliber safetys ahead of him at FS and SS. I keep telling people the worst thing we can do is rely on him as a foundational player with coverage responsibilities.

If the browns had starting caliber safetys, I still wouldnt want him. He be a gloried nickel back but when he has below avg coverage ability.

freshmen is a corner, sophomore is a safety, junior is a LB hybird. Each year at Michigan they gave him less and less true coverage responsibility. They were able to do that because Lewis was a true shut down. They tried to make Peppers this free roaming playmaker but he never really made plays outside of his returns and his offensive plays. He would come up and make some solid tackling but thats it. Never really had a nose of turning the ball over and making great plays on the ball. His lone college interception was a tipped ball interception. No real tracking ability IMO.

getting back to my point, we would then want him covering slot WRs. I Dont think he has the coverage ability to do good enough jobs at covering slot guys. He got away with his shotty coverage ability because he is a good athlete but he no longer has that advantage.

He got overrated quickly. If he played for any other big10 program outside of tOSU, UM, and PSU, he wold of struggled. Michigan's front 7 made him look better than what he is. Hell on his lone INT, Barrett had to throw it with Wormley right down his throat that lead to him throwing a bad pass (what a surprise right)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm going with any safety combo outside the 1st it's Buddha Baker/Obi Melifonwu and Justin Evans. Baker and Evans Would be my preferred safety combo o think those two would thrive together and be a scare combo moving forward unfortunately it would cost both 2nd to make that happen. And I love to many guys in the second lol
DizzyDean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't misunderstand, I did not want Peppers as a starting safety, I would want him if we signed 2 in FA and missed both of the top ones in round 1.

I think he would be amazing in Williams defense as a 3rd safety hybrid type that destroys the run game and a great special teams player. I do not want him as a starting FS or SS.

Another note, Bucky Brooks latest mock has Trubisky going off the board as the first QB.... at pick #25 to the Texans. Sounds like I am not he only one left very unimpressed with the QBs at the top of this draft.
Mind Character

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a thread on the Bucs Forum inquiring about Bradley McDougald to get an idea of what the Bucs fans think of him as a player.

Here's the link:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21409335#21409335

Hopefully, we sign him. Worst case scenario we roll with an improved Derrick Kindred at SS and Bradley McDougald at FS. I'd still trade up from 12 to get Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker.
2017 Draft Pro-Bowlers: Shaquill Griffin CB, Chidobe Awuzie CB, Antonio Garcia LT, Avery Gennesy OL, Vincent Taylor DT, Cole Hikutini TE, Godwin Igwebuike FS, Donnie Miles SS, Jeremy Sprinkle TE, Kai Nacua FS, Ahkello Witherspoon CB

Last edited by Mind Character on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DizzyDean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind Character wrote:
I made a thread on the Bucs Forum inquiring about Bradley McDougald to get an idea of what the Bucs fans think of him as a player.

Here's the link:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=586962

Hopefully, we sign him. Worst case scenario we roll with an improved Derrick Kindred at SS and Bradley McDougald at FS. I'd still trade up from 12 to get Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker.

lol love the sucking up at the end to entice comments. Mike Evans and DJax are the bomb!

That said, from what the lone reply so far has said, he sounds a lot like what some of our posters have been saying about Peppers.
Mind Character

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DizzyDean wrote:
Mind Character wrote:

Here's the link:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=586962

lol love the sucking up at the end to entice comments. Mike Evans and DJax are the bomb!

That said, from what the lone reply so far has said, he sounds a lot like what some of our posters have been saying about Peppers.

lol...you have to come in peace in enemy territory.

Yeah...Peppers for me is strictly a nickel player for me. McDougald might have a little better range defense and playmaking in the pass. I'm sure we'll hear more comments from Bucs fans that give more clarity to who the player is.
2017 Draft Pro-Bowlers: Shaquill Griffin CB, Chidobe Awuzie CB, Antonio Garcia LT, Avery Gennesy OL, Vincent Taylor DT, Cole Hikutini TE, Godwin Igwebuike FS, Donnie Miles SS, Jeremy Sprinkle TE, Kai Nacua FS, Ahkello Witherspoon CB
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DizzyDean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/bradley-mcdougald?id=2539243

Interesting tidbit in his scouting report before coming out. He is a converted WR. Maybe those ball skills could serve him at some point with more INTs if he can clean up his coverage techniques to be in the right place.
MWil23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact of the day:

Of the last 88 QBs drafted in the 2nd round, only 9 have been named to a Pro Bowl. The latest elite one is Derek Carr, and some would throw Jimmy's name as a possibility.

One of the many reasons I don't want a 2nd round prospect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
Fun fact of the day:

Of the last 88 QBs drafted in the 2nd round, only 9 have been named to a Pro Bowl. The latest elite one is Derek Carr, and some would throw Jimmy's name as a possibility.

And Drew Brees.... Wink
MWil23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
MWil23 wrote:
Fun fact of the day:

And Drew Brees.... Wink

Right, but I meant "latest" as in most recent...Brees was 17 drafts ago now. Wink

Not what I would call recent. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Jets are a prime candidate to trade up from 12. They're in rebuild mode and need picks. If Hookers there at six we need to pull the trigger. Hooker and Garrett alone would be an A+ draft.
buno67

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DizzyDean wrote:
Don't misunderstand, I did not want Peppers as a starting safety, I would want him if we signed 2 in FA and missed both of the top ones in round 1.

I think he would be amazing in Williams defense as a 3rd safety hybrid type that destroys the run game and a great special teams player. I do not want him as a starting FS or SS.

Another note, Bucky Brooks latest mock has Trubisky going off the board as the first QB.... at pick #25 to the Texans. Sounds like I am not he only one left very unimpressed with the QBs at the top of this draft.

So you basically want to use a 1st round pick. 25-33ish range, from your first stand point on a situational player? Talk about 3rd safety hybrid type that destroys the run game. If you want someone to play the run game, give me a true LB that can shed a legit block. Peppers got a lot of clean looks this past year for how great his front 7, specially his DL, by doing the dirty work. I also dont think his run defense is that special that he deserves that role. tOSU the past two years, Iowa game this year, Penn st game this year, MSU game last year, his impact on the run game wasnt that great. Good but not great. Plays behind a different front 7 that isnt Michigan, tOSU, or PSU and his play decreases. IMO dude has the tendacy to take some horrific angles. When JT Barrett gets the edge on you, its because you are slow or took bad angles and the last two years, I want to say Barrett smoked him twice. I also believe he took a bad angle and played the Samuels game winning run pretty bad.

Special team ability, now that is a different thing. He knows what to do when the ball is in his hands. Just sucks he doenst have any ball skills that allows him to get the ball into his hands when he is a defender.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
MWil23 wrote:
Fun fact of the day:

And Drew Brees.... Wink

Or that Favre guy who played for Atlanta. Wink WAAAAAYYY BACK

From 1999 to 2015 only 20 first round QBs have been selected to the pro-bowl (Including Vince Young and RGIII) out of 48 QBs. Granted, you have a much better chance (3 pro-bowlers out of 18 in the same time frame) by a little more than half. There is still a better than 60% chance you fail when selecting a QB in the first round. Especially if you reach like we would have to do this year.

My point is, Kessler should be fine this year. I know the next year thing gets old, but there are some guys coming out next year that could have Andrew Luck type hype if they play well (Darnold, Allen, Rosen).

If not there is always 2019. lol

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 46 of 100

Jump to: