Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sam Bradford Traded to Vikings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Frankly, I'd be signing Bradford to an extension...but that is off topic.

It may be off-topic for the thread you posted it in, but I'm bringing it over here as it is a good topic to discuss.

I tend to agree with the approach that they have taken in not extending him yet. There are 2 reasons for this:

1. Teddy is still the plan for them, long-term.
2. They don't have enough complete information on Sam to want to lock themselves in yet. He had a very good year last year, but it's only 1 year and they haven't had a full training camp with him to know enough about his practice and preparation habits.

Once training camp is complete and they have a better grasp on where Teddy is at, then it might be time to consider discussing an extension, with team-favorable conditions that would allow Sam to get paid, but still make him tradable if the situation presents itself that Teddy is back healthy and shows that he's better than Sam.

Thx to Lil Uno!
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope we get Bradford an extension before the end of the season.

That needs to be the #1 priority going into next offseason.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:
Frankly, I'd be signing Bradford to an extension...but that is off topic.

It may be off-topic for the thread you posted it in, but I'm bringing it over here as it is a good topic to discuss.

I tend to agree with the approach that they have taken in not extending him yet. There are 2 reasons for this:

1. Teddy is still the plan for them, long-term.
2. They don't have enough complete information on Sam to want to lock themselves in yet. He had a very good year last year, but it's only 1 year and they haven't had a full training camp with him to know enough about his practice and preparation habits.

Once training camp is complete and they have a better grasp on where Teddy is at, then it might be time to consider discussing an extension, with team-favorable conditions that would allow Sam to get paid, but still make him tradable if the situation presents itself that Teddy is back healthy and shows that he's better than Sam.

Well, if Teddy looks like he might not be ready, that would give Bradford 100% of the leverage.

As for data, he's, what, 29? I think there is plenty of data on Sam Bradford as an NFL QB.

Right now is the time both sides take some risk. I would prefer that both sides make a compromise now. If Teddy can play in a year, great! They have two QBs on teh roster and can decide to make a move or not then.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we come to an extension agreement after the draft.
No real need to do it early in off-season, since we weren't hurting for additional cap space.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's everyone's thoughts on how a mid-round rookie this year like Brad Kaaya would effect Bradford or Teddy?

Or is it showing no effect?

I just come to the thoughts of if we draft a QB somewhere between the 4th and 5th round that may just spell the end of Teddy.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
No real need to do it early in off-season, since we weren't hurting for additional cap space.

Agreed. Since they have plenty of cap space, there is no hurry. Good thing they have all that cap space....
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:

You see a lot of extensions happening around training camp time. Walsh, Smith, and heck even Zimmer. I could very easily see that.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
BLick12

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
reading over the first 10 pages or so of this thread is pretty good. we need a semi load of crow for all the experts who assured us Bradford would be average, underwhelming, or in a hospital.

here's a good one:

Quote:
Sam Bradford is average and has been average his entire career when he plays. at this point, he's maxed out his potential.

as he sets an all time NFL record for completion percentage....

Wink

You should also praise the other experts:

BLick12 wrote:
Never came on here to give my opinion but here you guys go. I'll start by saying I'm way higher on Bradford than most people on the Eagles board or this forum in general.

I actually think he'll be a great fit in your offense. Personally, I was very excited to see him in Pederson's offense in Philly. I do worry that he has to learn the playbook in short time and it probably took him a good half of the year to build chemistry with guys like Ertz and Matthews last year after he missed TC. You guys also have very young receivers that are generally stil learning as well, so you can probably expect some miscommunication.

Bradford's biggest concern in my eyes is his durability. But last year he proved he could take shot after shot and still step into throws with no concerns about his knee. I have a ton of respect for him after watching the beating he took with our porous line and his ability to still get up and make the throws he needed to. He got a raw deal here in Philly with management, o-line, the wide receivers he was throwing to and Chip Kelly's offense last year. Shumur knows him well and will run an offense that is more tailored to his strengths.

I'd say AT WORST, you guys got a very good game manager that will protect the football and make smart decisions (sometimes too conservative, especially given how beautiful his deep ball is). I know you guys are high on Teddy, but I really don't see this as much of a step down from him. Obviously, Teddy can do more with his legs, but Bradford's pure arm talent is better and honestly, one of the best in the league.

Wink

Chest pounding aside, I'm happy for him and for you guys. I watched him pretty closely and man, your o-line was atrocious. Build that up, give him some semblance of a run game and a couple more options outside and you'll have a pretty sound offense imo.

Bird Watch: Nolan Carroll
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
As for data, he's, what, 29? I think there is plenty of data on Sam Bradford as an NFL QB.

There's a big difference between data as far as performance in-game and performance off-field and in training camp.

Furthermore, the data he has performed in-game last season was pretty different from what he has done elsewhere, so I do believe they don't have enough yet to gauge whether to commit long-term. They need to see more evidence that it wasn't an exception and will be the rule going forward.

Thx to Lil Uno!
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
What's everyone's thoughts on how a mid-round rookie this year like Brad Kaaya would effect Bradford or Teddy?

Or is it showing no effect?

I just come to the thoughts of if we draft a QB somewhere between the 4th and 5th round that may just spell the end of Teddy.

I don't think a 4th-5th round pick would have any impact. That is someone who projects to just be a backup. I think it is pretty clear that we won't be keeping Teddy as a long-term backup. He'll either come back strong and want to be a starter or he won't really be viable anymore.

It would mean the end of Heinicke though

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see some references to extending Bradford for 2017 cap relief. How much cap relief do we think the team could get from such an extension? I don't see much. To start with, Bradfrod is going to want a per year everage of the new contract to be higher than his current 2017 salary. He last extension with the Eagles paid him $22 million guaranteed for a two year contract with an average of $18 million per year .

Nothing that happened last year should cause anyone to believe that Bradford would take anything less. Any extension he signs now would require an increase over those figures.

Bradford will look for something closer to the $23M per year that the REdskins are paying Cousins this year. I doubt he would sign an extension that gives him less than $20 million per year.

The only potential relief comes from prorating the signing bonus. Brezinski does not have a huge history of doing this. The Vikings often give the guaranteed payment in the form of roster bonus shortly after the contract is signed and first year guaranteed salary.

To the extent the Vikings push numbers to future years, it only hurts their cap situation then.

I do not think that the Vikings would gain more than a couple million in 2017 cap room by signing Bradford an extension. It more likely would be structured to keep his 2017 cap hit at the current $18M. Cap relief should not be a factor in the decision to extend Sam Bradford.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree a possible extension to Bradford now may not net us much additional cap space. In pass years when some QBs got extensions/restructures and it was early in free agency those freed up cap space at the time to allow the home team to gain cap space to potentially sign good players.... something that is unlikely to occur now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extending Bradford sooner rather than later is a way of avoiding the risk of being without ANY experienced QB on the roster in 2018... rather than creating cap space now.

Now (2017): TB is uncertain to return to form, and Bradford is uncertain to play as well as he did in 2016.

Later (2018): TB may not return and Bradford may play very well and leave MN for a better offer that the Vikings may not want/ be able to match.

Shurmur will have a lot of input into the decision to extend Bradford's contract sooner .... or later.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TB may not be best fit to take a snap until earliest training camp 2018 & first sees action in preseason game 1.

However, I think that would be his 5th year, so March 2018 MIN would need to decide if they want to keep his 5th year option which is pricey.

To recoup decent value in a potential trade in early March 2018, another team likely may want to see him under center which could prove hard timewise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
TB may not be best fit to take a snap until earliest training camp 2018 & first sees action in preseason game 1.

However, I think that would be his 5th year, so March 2018 MIN would need to decide if they want to keep his 5th year option which is pricey.

To recoup decent value in a potential trade in early March 2018, another team likely may want to see him under center which could prove hard timewise.

His 5th year option is pricey, but still cheaper than many other starting QBs, as it'll only be around $11M-$12M.

And to address Purplexing's point, yes, it is a risk that they may not have any experienced QB in 2018, but at this point, I think it's a risk that I'd be willing to take...there's no rush to do it now. I'm waiting until training camp at the earliest to begin discussion.

Thx to Lil Uno!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 54 of 58

Jump to: