Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WR Laquon Treadwell: Year2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
Does Treadwell look prohibitively slow on tape? Did he struggle to get open or make plays in college?

The combine numbers may not be entirely accurate representations of his athleticism. He could have been still recovering from injury, sick, etc.

This is an important thing to note. And it's not speculation - he wasn't 100 percent.

Treadwell said hes most grateful for finally being 100 percent healthy. Treadwell suffered a gruesome season-ending injury in a Nov. 1, 2014 game against Auburn in which he broke his left tibia and dislocated his left ankle.

Treadwell said he never was fully healthy last season even though he caught 82 passes for 1,153 yards and 11 touchdowns for the Rebels. Anything he might have said during the season to the contrary was just to stop questions from coming.

I was definitely tentative, Treadwell said. I wasnt 100 percent at all last season. I would just say (he was 100 percent) to get everyone off of me. I was like, I cant focus on what I need to focus on because everybody was asking me every day what I felt, what percentage I was. I just said, I feel good, Im 100 percent. But then after I went home at night, I was like, I dont feel right.

I wasnt 100 percent in anything I did from the beginning of spring ball (in 2015) to pro day (at Mississippi on March 28). I was playing on one leg my whole junior season. Last year wasnt fun going out and being hurt and trying to play.

At his pro day, Treadwell ran the 40-yard dash in a pedestrian 4.63 seconds, a primary reason he fell from being the top-rated wide receiver in the draft to the fourth selected. Treadwell didnt want to speculate on what time he would run now that he feels back to full strength.

Treadwell looks back at his injury as a blessing in disguise because he says it made him work harder. While still in the hospital following surgery, he stopped taking pain medication because he wanted to use how he felt then for motivation.

It felt like I had a fire in my foot, Treadwell said. I would cry myself to sleep, get up and cry myself back to sleep. But I said, Im not taking the pills any more because when I get back healthy Im going to remember this pain that I felt. I felt I would then never take the game for granted.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/07/24/vikings-rookie-laquon-treadwell-has-lofty-goals-after-playing-in-pain-last-year/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I don't expect Treadwell to start but he should be valuable in 3 WR sets and in the redzone. Thielen and Diggs are too good, just don't want to take them off the field unless they are injured.

I expect a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets this year.

I don't trust Diggs to stay healthy either

that's frustrating. he's so good when he's healthy. and Diggs can play all 3 spots.

Treadwell will be the #3, but will line up on the outside I would think in 3WR sets. he should probably have himself a decent year.

I just hope Treadwell, Thielen and Diggs can all stay healthy for most/all of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, no excuses this year, right? We get to judge him more this year?

Not a rookie.
Healthy.
Only 1-2 WRs on the roster better than him right now.

Last year was a total bust, didn't play at all as a first round pick. That's not how the modern NFL works, outside MN. This year? This year, there are no excuses.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
So, no excuses this year, right? We get to judge him more this year?

Not a rookie.
Healthy.
Only 1-2 WRs on the roster better than him right now.

Last year was a total bust, didn't play at all as a first round pick. That's not how the modern NFL works, outside MN. This year? This year, there are no excuses.

Of course, every year played you are allowed to judge him more. Hard to judge an injured player that lost practice time and didn't see the field.

I think it's safe to say we saw Waynes improve in his second year.

Once youve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.
-Dan Gable
Biggs Beefcakes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm siding with Keith --- if anything because nobody else will Smile

I'm not smart/driven enough to quantify Treadwell's athleticism metrics and project how that affects his NFL career outlook but eye test tells me that he couldn't separate from CBs and wasn't such a physical specimen that he could overcome that like guys that people are mentioning as hopeful exceptions like Marshall/Boldin

An undertalked about facet of this is the mental side rather than physical. Treadwell couldn't figure out the routes. Similar to CP, when he needed to run 10 yard outs, he ran 8, or when he needed to run an 8 yard curl, he ran 10. Is that so hard to figure out as a rookie that we just give him a pass on that? Or is that a real cause for concern?

Comparing him to those guys wreaks of desperation in a similarly extreme fashion to Keith's immeditate declaration of bust. It's entirely possible on both outcomes but to say one side is being unreasonable with the following extreme argument is silly.

If I'm building a team, I'm approaching the WR position like Treadwell won't give me anything. Build the team with the idea that anything you get from him is a bonus. If he overcomes the stuff that was holding him back last year and earns playing time, you've got too many good WRs. If he continues to not earn playing time, you weren't relying him in the first place.

Treadwell caught one pass last year. That's historically bad for a first-round WRs. He's not the first WR to come into the league with a new offensive coordinator or suffer an injury or have things go against him. The WRs for the Vikings weren't so good that if he played well, he couldn't have gotten on the field either so don't use that as an excuse.

Maybe Treadwell breaks out in year 2 going from a literal nothing to a quality starter. Sure its possible. I wouldn't count on it though. I don't think anybody should count on it. Then if it happens, we can all be pleasantly surprised.
Freakout

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will have a real chance now that Turner and his pet project Charles Johnson is gone. The team was also giving Patterson his last chance to earn a new contract. There simply wasn't enough reps to go around once you add in Diggs and Thielen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
He will have a real chance now that Turner and his pet project Charles Johnson is gone. The team was also giving Patterson his last chance to earn a new contract. There simply wasn't enough reps to go around once you add in Diggs and Thielen.

I think it will be difficult for Treadwell to steal reps from Diggs and Thielen. He should be worried about Jarius Wright first.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Freakout wrote:

I think it will be difficult for Treadwell to steal reps from Diggs and Thielen. He should be worried about Jarius Wright first.

It isn't about stealing reps from Diggs and Thielen. They will get their reps regardless. It is about reps that went to Johnson and Patterson. Treadwell will get the opportunity to play before Wright will. Team has more invested in him. He just needs to produce when given the chance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:

Exactly. Look at the week-to-week snap breakdown:

SD14: 56 / 51 / 49 / 69 / 00 / 61 / 55 / 57 / 51 / 43 / 00 / 58 / 38 / 49 / 57 / 00
AT19: 35 / 38 / 33 / 39 / 68 / 67 / 54 / 35 / 57 / 44 / 55 / 63 / 45 / 18 / 75 / 61
CP84: 05 / 03 / 05 / 36 / 45 / 51 / 41 / 40 / 44 / 35 / 34 / 47 / 32 / 44 / 45 / 24
CJ12: 49 / 40 / 39 / 22 / 12 / 18 / 19 / 22 / 13 / 13 / 21 / 26 / 15 / 39 / 29 / 29
LT11: 00 / 02 / 00 / 02 / 08 / 00 / 00 / 17 / 00 / 06 / 34 / 11 / 00 / 00 / 00 / 00
JW17: 00 / 00 / 01 / 00 / 44 / 00 / 00 / 00 / 04 / 00 / 05 / 00 / 04 / 17 / 01 / 43

Diggs was a starter the entire season. Thielen, Patterson and Johnson took turns being the second and third receivers (started out Johnson/Thielen, then Thielen/Patterson), with Wright and Treadwell jockeying back and forth for the leftovers (Wright outsnapped Treadwell in 7 of 13 games; 3 games where neither played a snap).

Well, Patterson and Johnson are out of the equation now. Thielen should take the bulk of the No. 2 reps, and Treadwell and Wright can and will battle it out for the third spot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Freakout wrote:

It isn't about stealing reps from Diggs and Thielen. They will get their reps regardless. It is about reps that went to Johnson and Patterson. Treadwell will get the opportunity to play before Wright will. Team has more invested in him. He just needs to produce when given the chance.

I don't think Zimmer cares what was invested in a player. He's completely willing to sit early picks. Wright probably should have been playing over Johnson and Patterson and it's not a sure thing that Treadwell will even be the third receiver over Wright.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm excited for him this year. I think with Shurmers offense there will be some more 3 receivers sets which will allow for more snaps for all the receivers.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
Of course, every year played you are allowed to judge him more. Hard to judge an injured player that lost practice time and didn't see the field.

we lost a first round player to injury in his rookie year not that long ago, lost him in pre-season in fact.

he just retired two weeks a go after a long and productive career. it can happen.

Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.
vikings209

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cris Carter had a horrible rookie season too (5 rec for 38 yds) and he went on to be one of the best of all time. There's plenty of time for Treadwell to turn it around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikings209 wrote:
Cris Carter had a horrible rookie season too (5 rec for 38 yds) and he went on to be one of the best of all time. There's plenty of time for Treadwell to turn it around.

Not the best example, considering all the "extracurricular activities" he was involved in.

Anyway, I think people are way too quick to judge nowadays. They think if they aren't starting and producing right away, they're garbage. What we should expect from Laquon is progress. We should see him contributing this year...if he can contribute the same amount of catches as Cordarrelle did last year, that's fine. Anything more than that, that's gravy.

Thx to Lil Uno!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
vikings209 wrote:

Not the best example, considering all the "extracurricular activities" he was involved in.

Anyway, I think people are way too quick to judge nowadays. They think if they aren't starting and producing right away, they're garbage. What we should expect from Laquon is progress. We should see him contributing this year...if he can contribute the same amount of catches as Cordarrelle did last year, that's fine. Anything more than that, that's gravy.

The learning curve at WR just doesn't seem as steep as it once was, especially if one has really good athlete traits.

We should expect progress from Treadwell but I think we should have seen some of that his rookie year. Obviously, if he's not healthy there isn't much he can show.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: