Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agents Thread 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
Looks like Patton is heading to the Jets. Man, I had such high hopes for him when we drafted him. Really liked him as a mid round receiver prospect and was happy with the pick at the time.

Me too. I thought we had found a diamond in the rough. I was happier with him than almost any other guy we picked around that range in the draft in a lot of years.

I'll admit - Baalke was bad as a drafter, but there are quite a few guys that he selected that I was really high on as well. Not so sure I would have taken all of them with some of the other people that were still on the board at the time of the selection (that's why we do our yearly, what would you have done), but I'll admit to being a fan of several of the prospects.

I loved Tank Carradine. Bust. Now, I wonder if our coaching of him didn't have something to do with that, but the end result is the same. I loved Patton coming out. I really liked the Ellington selection. I liked taking a shot on Lattimore. I liked the Brandon Thomas selection at the end of round 3. I liked the Smelter pick.

Notice anything about that group of guys you just named? Many of them were coming off of injuries. Maybe the idea that we were getting a "bargain" because they would be rated higher if they weren't hurt was over-hyped? Also, they were unable to work out at the combine so we were not able to compare them to their peers which might have given you a better shot at seeing some of them weren't going to make it. Lattimore is the only that I thought was truly "great" but a big quesiton mark about his leg. Too much of a question probably to take him where we did. The others maybe were just not all that good before their injuries.

Truthfully, never minded the injury picks all that much. I generally think that the risk is worth the reward if you're getting them at the tail end of 3 and into the middle rounds. Especially if they are viewed as 1/2 prospects. Now, Thomas may still have been a bit of reach. I remember him largely being a middle/late second when he got hurt, so we probably could have held off there. Lattimore you could have argued just based on the severity of the injury (compounded with the fact that it was the second). But neither pick did I particularly mind. Smelter is in the same camp as a late round injury flier. I don't think that you use the first or second round pick on them, but once you start getting into the middle rounds, I'm fine with it...you just need to hit on your other picks every now and again, which is something that BAalke just could not do. I mean, we had a terrifying amount of picks during his tenure and got so very little out of it.

If we ended up taking Sydney Jones in round 4 or something this year, I wouldn't completely hate it, though I'm sure we are all tired of it.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
Looks like Patton is heading to the Jets. Man, I had such high hopes for him when we drafted him. Really liked him as a mid round receiver prospect and was happy with the pick at the time.

Me too. I thought we had found a diamond in the rough. I was happier with him than almost any other guy we picked around that range in the draft in a lot of years.

I'll admit - Baalke was bad as a drafter, but there are quite a few guys that he selected that I was really high on as well. Not so sure I would have taken all of them with some of the other people that were still on the board at the time of the selection (that's why we do our yearly, what would you have done), but I'll admit to being a fan of several of the prospects.

I loved Tank Carradine. Bust. Now, I wonder if our coaching of him didn't have something to do with that, but the end result is the same. I loved Patton coming out. I really liked the Ellington selection. I liked taking a shot on Lattimore. I liked the Brandon Thomas selection at the end of round 3. I liked the Smelter pick.

Notice anything about that group of guys you just named? Many of them were coming off of injuries. Maybe the idea that we were getting a "bargain" because they would be rated higher if they weren't hurt was over-hyped? Also, they were unable to work out at the combine so we were not able to compare them to their peers which might have given you a better shot at seeing some of them weren't going to make it. Lattimore is the only that I thought was truly "great" but a big quesiton mark about his leg. Too much of a question probably to take him where we did. The others maybe were just not all that good before their injuries.

Truthfully, never minded the injury picks all that much. I generally think that the risk is worth the reward if you're getting them at the tail end of 3 and into the middle rounds. Especially if they are viewed as 1/2 prospects. Now, Thomas may still have been a bit of reach. I remember him largely being a middle/late second when he got hurt, so we probably could have held off there. Lattimore you could have argued just based on the severity of the injury (compounded with the fact that it was the second). But neither pick did I particularly mind. Smelter is in the same camp as a late round injury flier. I don't think that you use the first or second round pick on them, but once you start getting into the middle rounds, I'm fine with it...you just need to hit on your other picks every now and again, which is something that BAalke just could not do. I mean, we had a terrifying amount of picks during his tenure and got so very little out of it.

If we ended up taking Sydney Jones in round 4 or something this year, I wouldn't completely hate it, though I'm sure we are all tired of it.

Jones in the 4th would be fantastic, and a big drop because of his injury. That's the kind of pick I'd get behind too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Rudy ... I hope you've noticed that the Ti-Cats have acquired the rights to Colin. Grey Cup coming up!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
So Rudy ... I hope you've noticed that the Ti-Cats have acquired the rights to Colin. Grey Cup coming up!

Seriously?! How does that work? Anyone know?
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:

They also have the rights to RG3. I smell a QB battle for the ages.

But man... I don't see it happening. No one wants to go to Hamilton. Not the football team, but the city itself.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

They also have the rights to RG3. I smell a QB battle for the ages.

But man... I don't see it happening. No one wants to go to Hamilton. Not the football team, but the city itself.

I used to live pretty close to Windsor which can give Hamilton a pretty good run for the money.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article140612073.html

I'm a big fan of the interest in Jacques Smith. If we do offer him he's gonna get a fat contract just to price out the Bucs from resigning him so be ready.

Quote:
According to the NFL Network, the team is getting a visit from Buccaneers defensive lineman Jacquies Smith, who finished second on that squad in sacks in 2014 (seven sacks) and 2015 (six and a half) but who suffered an ACL tear in Week 1 of the 2016 season.

Smith, 27, is a restricted free agent whom the Buccaneers tendered with an original-round offer. Because Smith went undrafted out of Missouri in 2012, the 49ers wouldn't owe Tampa Bay a draft pick if he were to sign with San Francisco. The Buccaneers could match any offer the 49ers give Smith.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article140612073.html

I'm a big fan of the interest in Jacques Smith. If we do offer him he's gonna get a fat contract just to price out the Bucs from resigning him so be ready.

Quote:
According to the NFL Network, the team is getting a visit from Buccaneers defensive lineman Jacquies Smith, who finished second on that squad in sacks in 2014 (seven sacks) and 2015 (six and a half) but who suffered an ACL tear in Week 1 of the 2016 season.

Smith, 27, is a restricted free agent whom the Buccaneers tendered with an original-round offer. Because Smith went undrafted out of Missouri in 2012, the 49ers wouldn't owe Tampa Bay a draft pick if he were to sign with San Francisco. The Buccaneers could match any offer the 49ers give Smith

Smith would be an exciting add for our defense. 6.5 sacks two years ago and 7 sacks a year ago before last seasons injury took the majority of it. Might be able to play both SAM and LEO positions, LEO on 3rd downs when Solomon Thomas kicks inside. I'm hoping that by talking about him as if he's already on our team he will in fact become a member of this team.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

I read somewhere that it's basically calling dibs, if Kaep does decide to go to the CFL.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

I read somewhere that it's basically calling dibs, if Kaep does decide to go to the CFL.

Exactly. It's just negotiating rights. Someone probably still has Tom Brady's rights "just in case". It doesn't mean anything. Montréal has had Tim Tebow's rights for a few years, then he decided to try baseball instead.

Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if everyone is aware or if it's been talked about already here but Wilhoite has been signed by the Seahawks and apparently is expected to compete for the starting SAM spot in their defense. Could just be talk but I for one would be a huge fan of this happening for them as I'd hope we ran the ball atleast 30 times straight at him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niners just resigned Dujuan Harris to a one year deal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:

I can dig it, Harris competes. His fumble issues are correctable and he's a good receiver. Benchmark for incoming rookies/udfa in camp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:

I can dig it, Harris competes. His fumble issues are correctable and he's a good receiver. Benchmark for incoming rookies/udfa in camp

I prefer him to Draughn any day. In any case, I doubt he signed for anything more than the league minimum, so who cares. His spot is far from secure. There's the draft, and then I'm sure we'll take a look at whatever free agent available to bring in to camp.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:

I don't get why people have good things to say about Harris. He's a 5-year NFL player with barely over 500 yards total in those 5 season, and only one single run over 25 yards in his career. He looked better than Draughn, but that's an incredibly low bar to compare him to. To me he's just a warm body holding down a spot till we can get a guy with actual NFL talent in there. I'm hoping we draft a RB in the first four rounds this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: