FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We are transitioning to a new forum software platform. Your current password will not work after August 12th. Update the email in your profile so you are not locked out. Click here for more information.

Davon House: Our Newest Addition at CB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donzo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to the OP...

This is the type of stuff that got me into message boards.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
BobSacamano wrote:
One concern i had reading through that was seeing him get hurt.

IIRC, House wasn't able to stay consistently healthy in GB.

I posted this yesterday

Davon House injury history:

2011: 3 times on the IR (injury report) Inactive a bunch, I don't know what for and if it was the injuries.
2012: 11 weeks on IR.

Now let's look at the last 4 years

2013: ZERO times on the IR.
2014: 5 times on IR, Missed 3 games.
2015: Probable 3 times. Never missed a game.
2016: ZERO times on the IR.

Injury-prone?

To be fair, some players just start to take better care of their bodies as they age. It wouldn't surprise me at all if House was one of those players.
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I heard when he was with us before he gave Jordy fits at practice.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the excellent post I was looking for earlier, from ChaRisMa

ChaRisMa wrote:

Corners are slow and hurt. Arrow Safeties have to help them constantly. Arrow Safeties aren't free to use instincts. Arrow Linebackers have more coverage responsibility. Arrow Linebackers aren't free to use instincts or pass rush. Arrow DL now asked to pressure QB and play run. Arrow Not their skill set by defensive design. Arrow Defense fails.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. When we had Collins, Woodson, Tramon all in their prime we could do so much more on defense and not get toasted by it. We're still running the same system, just don't have two guys we feel comfortable matched up with anyone at corner anymore.

If House and Randall can man the boundary, that's big step forward
Cadmus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news for Cook's contract, but good news for House's contract.

Appears to be (even more of) a bargain.
theelcapitans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:

Tough to get hurt from the bench Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theelcapitans wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

Well, he didn't get hurt in 2015 playing a 1000+ snaps either though.

I'm not saying he's immune to injury but this idea he can't stay healthy, at least on paper, seems like it's from his first two years and that's it, then stuck in everyone's head.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
theelcapitans wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

I'm not saying he's immune to injury but this idea he can't stay healthy, at least on paper, seems like it's from his first two years and that's it, then stuck in everyone's head.
First impressions and all. I don't see the injury thing as a problem. Sure, he could get hurt but he's no more likely then anyone else at this point.

El ramster on the custom sig!
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
theelcapitans wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

First impressions and all. I don't see the injury thing as a problem. Sure, he could get hurt but he's no more likely then anyone else at this point.

Is there a single poster on here who doesn't think our roster will be injury riddled by week 8? All we can do is pray Aaron doesn't get hurt. Packers losing key players to injury=water is wet.

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
Cadmus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:

This is true.

Nelson is on record saying that House was the toughest matchup for him during practice. It wasn't Williams, Shields or Hayward.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:
Pugger wrote:

This is true.

Nelson is on record saying that House was the toughest matchup for him during practice. It wasn't Williams, Shields or Hayward.

Jordy doesn't deal well with longer corners though, so this doesn't surprise me. Shields was speed and agility and some technique, but Jordy could definitely get his. He could overpower Hayward and out maneuver him. But House has enough size and technique to be a nuisance. Jordy struggled mightily against Gilmore in 2014 (another longer corner).

I really like the acquisition. It gives us additional flexibility in late April.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
BlondeonBlonde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how anyone couldn't be thrilled with the House signing. Especially considering the contract details. My only beef is that they didn't try to get him on a 2-3 year deal at that price Laughing

It's a win-win, though. If he balls out and walks in FA next year, it will probably mean we get a 4-5th round comp pick..lol
TheOnlyThing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing a player to a bargain contract at an obvious position of need would mean that even if House flames out, this was still a great signing.

However, I am more intrigued by the optimism that he may actually be a real asset to the D.

The consensus seems to be, mostly based on the OPs extensive research analysis, that House was (1) a top 1/2 (or higher) NFL CB starter in 2015 and (2) was caught up in and a victim of the obvious dysfunction of the Jags 3-13 season last year.

Moreover, (3) any injury concerns pertaining to House are at best overblown if one carefully reviews his career.

Anything in 1-3 above that anyone thinks is wrong?
CentralFC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOnlyThing wrote:
Signing a player to a bargain contract at an obvious position of need would mean that even if House flames out, this was still a great signing.

However, I am more intrigued by the optimism that he may actually be a real asset to the D.

The consensus seems to be, mostly based on the OPs extensive research analysis, that House was (1) a top 1/2 (or higher) NFL CB starter in 2015 and (2) was caught up in and a victim of the obvious dysfunction of the Jags 3-13 season last year.

Moreover, (3) any injury concerns pertaining to House are at best overblown if one carefully reviews his career.

I'd take issue with defining him as a "top" starter in any of his seasons. I think OP would, too. House performed strongly in 2014 and 2015, the metrics support that. Saying he is a "top" starter introduces a large element of subjectivity (who is a top starter? what do you need to do to be a top starter?) that inevitably ends in semantic battles.

You're also missing (4) House will reinforce depth at a position of relative weakness and inexperience and (5) House comes into a system in which he has experience and plays for a coach with whom he has a strong relationship.

So you say "real asset" and I see a guy who reinforces depth at a vulnerable spot and offers experience, length and speed on a cheap, team-friendly contract. I would define that as an "asset" and something our secondary sorely needed.

But other than that, yeah, your summative points were on the spot.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
TheOnlyThing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
TheOnlyThing wrote:

I'd take issue with defining him as a "top" starter in any of his seasons. I think OP would, too. House performed strongly in 2014 and 2015, the metrics support that. Saying he is a "top" starter introduces a large element of subjectivity (who is a top starter? what do you need to do to be a top starter?) that inevitably ends in semantic battles.

You're also missing (4) House will reinforce depth at a position of relative weakness and inexperience and (5) House comes into a system in which he has experience and plays for a coach with whom he has a strong relationship.

So you say "real asset" and I see a guy who reinforces depth at a vulnerable spot and offers experience, length and speed on a cheap, team-friendly contract. I would define that as an "asset" and something our secondary sorely needed.

But other than that, yeah, your summative points were on the spot.

Yeah, you're 100% correct that "real asset" is a very subjective term, and I concur that even if his signing is just for depth then he will indeed be an "asset."

However, there is also the fact that the OP previously wrote:

"He already put it together for a full season. ... he played like a Top 20 CB in 2015 (I may be underrating that 2015 season a bit to avoid the genesis of another argument)."

Now, considering most teams rely upon 3 CBs, I'd be happy if House performs like a top 30-35 CB next season, but if he really performed like a top 20 (or better) CB in 2015, then that is what I find most intriguing about him heading into 2017, because I believe the D needs some real impactful talent not just depth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: