Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Baker: Redskins didnt offer a deal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slateman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Baker: Redskins didnt offer a deal Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000793849/article/chris-baker-hurtful-that-redskins-didnt-offer-deal

Quote:
"It was really hurtful learning that the Redskins didn't really offer me a contract," Baker said on Sirius XM NFL Radio on Friday, "being that I was one of their best defensive linemen on their team for the last couple of years and really worked my way up from the practice squad to being one of the best linemen. And for them not to offer me was very hurtful, but I understand it's a business and I'm very happy to move forward with the Buccaneers and I think I really have a bright future there."

Are you for real right now? As bad as this defensive line has been, Baker doesn't get an offer?

Allen/Snyder strike again
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the best player on a horrific line doesn't make you a good player. He's an adequate rotational guy.

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Chris Baker; 11 Tackles,1 Sack,1 FF
MKnight82

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Being the best player on a horrific line doesn't make you a good player. He's an adequate rotational guy.
Hes better than the two rotational guys we gave more money to.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks. I think they had decided long ago they weren't going to re-sign him for the reasons I talked about in the other thread, I don't agree with all of their reasons but I do agree with some of them:

1. His age/cost combined:

- I don't think the Redskins were interested in paying $6 million a year for a DL who is going to be 30 that hasn't been consistently dominant.

Maybe that's the wrong call, maybe it's the right call, it remains to be seen. All I know is that the Redskins seemed to have signed two guys who may be on the rise in their career over the next 2 or 3 years (McClain & McGee) and let go of a defender who seems to have plateaued and will probably become less effective as he enters his 30s.

2. His cost:

- Baker's cap his it nearly $6 million this year (about twice as much as McGee and just under twice as much as McClain). He wasn't a consistent force as he was in 2015 which I think had a lot to do with the absence of Hatcher - who took on double teams - and freed up Baker to go one on one but it was clear Baker wasn't as good in 2016 as he was in 2015. I don't think he played like a player who earned a raise.

3. He refused to play NT:

- I hate him for this. He has been our biggest and strongest DL for most of his time in DC - except for 2015 when Knighton was here - and his refusal to play NT is beyond disappointing considering I think most would agree that he would have been our best option there. I continue to believe that if Baker had bought into playing NT and Hood was playing LDE last year that our DL would have been better in short yardage against the run and Hood may have been freed up to get some more pressure on the Qb.

4. His run defense was spotty:

- He was never a great run defender. At times he would abandon his run responsibilities - particularly on 1st downs - to get after the pass rusher and then the OG or OT who was blocking him would get to the ILB, block them and clear the lane for the running back to get the level of our DBs. This has been a big problem with our run defense since Barry Cofield has been gone in 2014.

You could argue that it's the change in schemes from a 2-gap scheme to a 1-gap scheme. The 2-gap scheme was better against the run and the 1-gap scheme is supposed to be better for getting pressure in the backfield.

5. His Potroast campaign:

His potroast campaign became annoying for I'm sure everyone at Redskins park. Given how potroast came in out of shape in 2015 and how he couldn't be effective because of it, it was easy to understand why the redskins didn't want to re-sign him but Baker always seemed to bring him up as some kind of answer to their run defense problem. It was annoying.

I watched some highlights of McClain and McGee from last year and I loved what I saw, especially from McClain. I do remember our interior OL not being able to block the shifty SOB in the middle of the Cowboys D each time we played them and that's why we struggled to consistently run the ball.

Terrell McClain, Run Stuffer:

https://youtu.be/oz3loZzy5MY

What Stacy McGee brings to the Redskins:

https://youtu.be/ILFTwsioreM

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Applause Applause Applause And the players we signed are younger and cheaper in 2017 than Baker would have been.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lavar703

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop with the age crap, Turtle. My lord it's so overblown. Baker is better, it's that simple. Bruce doesn't get a pass because he signed a lesser talented, younger guy because he's cheaper. It's an absolute joke. The weakest unit on the whole team was actually downgraded by Bruce Allens free agency decisions. He's awful.
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt McCloughan was a fan of letting him go. Otherwise, why would he have been wasting his time at a Caps game with him this offseason?

This is just more Snyder/Allen buffoonery.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
I doubt McCloughan was a fan of letting him go. Otherwise, why would he have been wasting his time at a Caps game with him this offseason?

This is just more Snyder/Allen buffoonery.
To bad we'll never know. Sad

turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
Stop with the age crap, Turtle. My lord it's so overblown. Baker is better, it's that simple. Bruce doesn't get a pass because he signed a lesser talented, younger guy because he's cheaper. It's an absolute joke. The weakest unit on the whole team was actually downgraded by Bruce Allens free agency decisions. He's awful.
If you could get 3 players that cost $8 million or keep 2 for $10 million for next year, what would you do?

Keep in mind we haven't had the draft yet. We could draft a player or two in the draft who could become starters over Hood, McClain or McGee and maybe Ioannidis develops to the point where he's a starter at NT or one of the DE positions.

We are continuing the trend set in place in 2011 of paying players for what they may become instead of what they did the previous 2 or 3 years and relying on draft picks and younger players to develop. I believe that's what we should be doing.

Slateman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
If you could get 3 players that cost $8 million or keep 2 for $10 million for next year, what would you do?

Keep in mind we haven't had the draft yet. We could draft a player or two in the draft who could become starters over Hood, McClain or McGee and maybe Ioannidis develops to the point where he's a starter at NT or one of the DE positions.

We are continuing the trend set in place in 2011 of paying players for what they may become instead of what they did the previous 2 or 3 years and relying on draft picks and younger players to develop. I believe that's what we should be doing.

The two better players.

Swaggy is good. The same can not be said for his replacements.

We have tons of cap room

We continue to disregard the defensive line.

This is a massive failure and it shows that Allen and Snyder have their heads up their assets.
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:

The two better players.

Swaggy is good. The same can not be said for his replacements.

We have tons of cap room

We continue to disregard the defensive line.

This is a massive failure and it shows that Allen and Snyder have their heads up their assets.

Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:

So, we spent money on $21M and $25M contracts for guys we project as backups in a year or two?

If that were the case, why not spend the Bucs contract on Baker and cut him when he turns 31 or 32 with no cap penalty instead of shackling ourselves to two guys we don't believe are part of our long term plan?

Quote:

Franchises don't hand out 4 and 5 year deals in free agency to projects. Correction: well-run franchises don't hand out 4 and 5 year deals in free agency to projects.
Dashing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god . Baker sucked
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
Thank god . Baker sucked

Better than what we have now.
Dashing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Dashing wrote:
Thank god . Baker sucked

Better than what we have now.

We never see these guys play tho and none of us have seen what Phil Taylor can do nor lionidis( sorry if misspelled ) you guys gotta be patient.
Baker wasn't anything special or RJF.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: