You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eddie Lacy - RB Position
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PACKRULE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Packerraymond"]
dcerb44 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:
What is your argument? You said the Packers fat shamed him to the bench ... and that you didn't blame him for going to Seattle. Sure, he averaged 5.1 per carry last year, and even 4.1 in a down year .. big woop .. Ty Montgomery averaged 5.9 per carry and he'd never played the position before. I get the idea a lot of backs could have found success in our offense. It's not the end of the world that Lacy is gone.

Fat shamed? These guys are PAID professional athletes who are paid to be in top physical shape. Coming into camp 30 pounds overweight, and producing below the standard is job failure.

5.1 YPC is below the standard now?[/quote

No, he was productive even at a high weight. My main point was that if he chose to leave GB because McCarthy called him out about weight or whatever than so bit it. He had times where he wasn't in top shape and his employers have a right to call him on it.

I think he left because he was sick of averaging 4.5 YPC and getting the ball 13 times. Mac never figured out a good way to use him, the only time he truly did is when Aaron was hurt. If he beats out Rawls, he'll be a 20 carry guy in Seattle.

I highly doubt he would have the stamina for that, especially if SEA wants him at a bigger weight. I like Eddy, but he's not a bell cow.

Not in 2014, but last year he was in much better shape. Our offense was a mess until he got hurt because Mac couldn't figure it out with him in there. It's like Mac was having battles in his head between feeding Lacy (who averaged over 4 YPC in every game) and pleasing Aaron. The whole thing seemed fractured. When Eddie got hurt he just dialled up the speed and put it on Aaron. It worked, but I don't think without some balance that it is sustainable.

Ray I really don't think AR plays that well when we run the ball to often. AR is such a streaky passer. Take the ball out of AR's hands to many times and he seems to play at a lesser level.

Granted MM could use some more balance but when you have AR and he starts playing well ride him like a pony.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacy left because the money was the same, he was a better fit in their offense, and the city life in Seattle is better than the city life in Green Bay.

The coaches and his teammates in Green Bay were always going to have the nagging doubt about his weight and his health. The guy wants a fresh start and I can see why.

Young men make mistakes. For all the talk that the NFL is a young man's business, it's also a professional men's business run by professionals who hold their employees to professional expectations. Lacy failed to conduct himself in the manner of a professional and that will always bother men like McCarthy and Thompson. Maybe they've gotten over it, maybe not.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Lacy left because the money was the same, he was a better fit in their offense, and the city life in Seattle is better than the city life in Green Bay.

The coaches and his teammates in Green Bay were always going to have the nagging doubt about his weight and his health. The guy wants a fresh start and I can see why.

Young men make mistakes. For all the talk that the NFL is a young man's business, it's also a professional men's business run by professionals who hold their employees to professional expectations. Lacy failed to conduct himself in the manner of a professional and that will always bother men like McCarthy and Thompson. Maybe they've gotten over it, maybe not.

Sounds about right ... so, who's the perfect young professional for the Packers to target in the draft? We need a tough pipe hitter added at RB. I love Montgomery, but the guy is limping off the field a few times a game.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:

Sounds about right ... so, who's the perfect young professional for the Packers to target in the draft? We need a tough pipe hitter added at RB. I love Montgomery, but the guy is limping off the field a few times a game.

McCaffrey is obviously one who checks everything off when you look at the off field stuff.

Cook we've heard some rumblings about, Kareem Hunt was suspended, obviously Joe Mixon, Alvin Kamara has an arrest, Clement has an arrest.

Perine, Gallman and Foreman I'm not sure about.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stat: Ty Montgomery was the NFL leader in yards after contact on a per attempt basis.
gopackgo247

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:

McCaffrey is obviously one who checks everything off when you look at the off field stuff.

Cook we've heard some rumblings about, Kareem Hunt was suspended, obviously Joe Mixon, Alvin Kamara has an arrest, Clement has an arrest.

Perine, Gallman and Foreman I'm not sure about.

Gosh at some point you kind of need to look past the off the field stuff and give a guy a chance. I would take Joe Mixon in a heartbeat. But thats me. I dont have a franchise image to protect.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lieker wrote:
Interesting stat: Ty Montgomery was the NFL leader in yards after contact on a per attempt basis.

He also averaged 5.9 yards per attempt on 77 attempts. Don't understand the fear for the RB position going on here. Really don't understand why so many Packer fans want us to draft McCaffrey, either. Even though I like him a lot and wouldn't be upset if we took him, everything he offers we already have in Montgomery. Catching, route running, good for 10-15 attempts a game, similar speed and size... Is it the "Need something new" fever going on there?
smetana34

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
Lieker wrote:

He also averaged 5.9 yards per attempt on 77 attempts. Don't understand the fear for the RB position going on here. Really don't understand why so many Packer fans want us to draft McCaffrey, either. Even though I like him a lot and wouldn't be upset if we took him, everything he offers we already have in Montgomery. Catching, route running, good for 10-15 attempts a game, similar speed and size... Is it the "Need something new" fever going on there?

Montgomery made it perfectly clear last year he can not hold up to the pounding an NFL RB takes. We need a back who can take the abuse. If we rely on Montgomery we're back to converting a WR to RB again when he undoubtedly gets hurt. If McCaffery adds the same things, then it's not a bad pick. Montgomery was very effective in his limited touches. If McCaffery can be as effective while rotating series with Montgomery, our offense will be very tough to stop.

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."
incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
spilltray

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
Lieker wrote:

I like Montgomery and his skillset. I think we need more RBs. I think McCaffery is a better version of that skillset with a much better chance of being able to be a full time #1 RB. Liking Montgomery as a RB doesn't cancel out what I like about McCaffery, it makes me want more of it.

Basically I think Ty is going to be good for 100-150 carries (6-10 per game). I don't expect him to be able to hold up to much more of a pounding than that. I think McCaffery could be more like a 200-250 (Yes that 10-15 carry a game range type guy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Siman08/OH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we dont pick up a RB in the draft, i bet Thompson makes a flashy signing (but cheap, since its post draft).

What if we could lure beast mode out for 1st and 2nd down? What if we trade draft picks for Richard Sherman and he talks him into coming back.

That escalated quickly. Back to reality. Were drafting a RB.

**EDIT** What if we pull a Davon House/James Jones and bring Lacy back next year long term? If he plays above average (800-1000 yards), id be all for it.

Last edited by Siman08/OH on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what in the hell is Michael here for if he's not going to be the 15-20 carry a game guy while Montgomery is the 5-10 carry guy?

It just makes no sense to have two guys who do the 5-10 carry a game thing when you already have one.

As long as McCarthy monitors Montgomery's stamina, Montgomery will be enough.
smetana34

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
So what in the hell is Michael here for if he's not going to be the 15-20 carry a game guy while Montgomery is the 5-10 carry guy?

It just makes no sense to have two guys who do the 5-10 carry a game thing when you already have one.

Why do you think a guy as talented as Michael is constantly cut, sometimes by the same team twice, and playing for near minimum wage? Because he's not an answer. He's a 3rd RB at best. We have our RB2. We need an RB1 now.

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."
incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
Siman08/OH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:

TC competition. Insurance against injuries. C-mike is duct tape, not a solution.
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
I like Montgomery and his skillset. I think we need more RBs. I think McCaffery is a better version of that skillset with a much better chance of being able to be a full time #1 RB. Liking Montgomery as a RB doesn't cancel out what I like about McCaffery, it makes me want more of it.

I'm going to have to disagree with you a little bit. Montgomery and McCaffrey are somewhat similar players and fill similar roles IMO, but I do think they are a bit different players. McCaffrey is more of a homerun hitter and probably better at running routes, but Montgomery has proven he is tough as nails, he's going to break more tackles, he's far more physical, and I see him as less likely to lose yardage.
In my eyes, both McCaffrey and Montgomery could work well together, but if either got hurt the other wouldn't be able to shoulder a full load so we would still be left needing someone to pick up carries. Could a backfield of Montgomery, McCaffrey, and Michael work? Probably (maybe find a short-yardage back), but I think the Packers are looking for a RB who can eat up more carries, because quantity is really what we lost in Lacy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smetana34 wrote:
Why do you think a guy as talented as Michael is constantly cut, sometimes by the same team twice, and playing for near minimum wage? Because he's not an answer. He's a 3rd RB at best. We have our RB2. We need an RB1 now.

Michael had 500 yards rushing and six touchdowns for Seattle before they cut him when Rawls and the other guy were coming back. Then Rawls performed worse than Michael did. I'm not going to listen to people who suggest he can't be a workload running back for us. Ted Thompson rarely puts in waiver claims, he rarely re-signs players he doesn't draft and he rarely re-signs players at all if he doesn't see a fit for them on our team. Saying he's a 3rd RB at best is just ridiculous. There's no way Thompson would have re-signed a waiver claimed RB to another deal over Eddie Lacy if he thought Michael was going to be a 3rd RB at best.

People here are seriously overestimating how we view running backs. It's really not an important position group in Green Bay and we got by for years on trading for Ryan Grant, James Starks, 2nd-3rd round running backs and so on. This was abundantly clear last year when the only things we did were claim Michael and trade for Davis (only to cut Davis). People also forget that the year it was abundantly clear we had to do something at RB, we passed on Lacy not once, but twice. We didn't take him in round one when everybody wanted us to, we traded down from 55 to 61 instead of taking him at 55.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 22 of 27

Jump to: